Cheese Updates, 3.5

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Re: Cheese Updates, 3.5

Post by User3 »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1176404447[/unixtime]]90 is middle aged for a half-elf, which means to be venerable she's actually 125.

It really depends how you think aging works for elves and half-elves. Clearly they get the stat bonuses and penalties. Anything else (wrinkles, etc...) is not in the rules.

I'm inclined to think elves and half-elves get a porcelain-type appearance, becoming more ethereally beautiful with age. But I have no rules basis for that.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Given that people's eyes and ears get sharper as they age, I suppose I don't mind them becoming more beautiful as well...
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Okay, why do stats need to change as people age, again? For PCs, it leads to nothing but trouble, and for NPCs, the DM can jolly well just give them whatever stats are necessary to make them match whoever they are supposed to be (note that PCs can do the same, if they want to play a weak old guy. But they don't have to, if they want to play an old kung-fu master).

I move that we just eliminate age-based stat changes entirely (except Dragons, I guess, because they're freaks anyway).
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

/me is deeply flattered that his build got linked!
Interested2
NPC

Post by Interested2 »

^
me.

In retrospect, I probably should have logged in first.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1176422222[/unixtime]]Okay, why do stats need to change as people age, again?

Back in 1E, only rare magic items altered your stats. In the 3-18 days of 1E, those effects were massive. Spells and monsters could cause unnatural aging. So the age effects were not the norm but was something that most characters might encounter at one point in their carreer.

It's legacy stuff. That's the only reason.
shirak
Knight

The new Cheese thread

Post by shirak »

I really like double progressions. And the fact that they suck makes me sad. So, in my quest to make double progressions viable, I stumbled upon the FAQ on Polymorph. Apparently, any ability that is not Ex, Su or Sp is considered natural and you totally get to keep it. So what you want to do is POA three times in Elder Titan. This gives you permanent spellcasting as a 29th level Wizard and as a 29th level Cleric. You then start advancing MyTh or something and make people cry. You can do this as a 3rd level Expert Elf if you stay at home farming for a couple of centuries until you have the money.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Re: The new Cheese thread

Post by fbmf »

I need a good core rules build for a Summoner, either arcanre or divine is fine, but arcane is preferred.

By Summoner, I mean a guy who is followed around by a bunch of extraplanar little bitches who basically do his fighting for him while he does battlefield control type stuff. Sort of like the Lord of the Damned type build, who is followed around by a bunch of undead all the time, but I don't want to use undead.

I also am not looking to bring the game crashing down around me or the DM. A good build, not a broken build.

If I need to use any non-core stuff, please cite sources so I can attempt to get it cleared. Core rules is definitely preferred though.

Any suggestions?

Game On,
fbmf
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Will you be high enough level to get the Planar Binding spells, or are you starting from level one?

At level one, a Human Druid with Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning who prepares Entangle is probably your best bet, but that build summons animals, not extraplanar guys.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Or you can play a Cleric. You'll be a powerhouse, you can get the Summoner Domain which is awesome and anything else because you really don't care. You can't buff Outsiders as well as a Druid can buff animals but whatever. You also have the awesome Summon Undead spells from Libris Mortis which can call up Templated Undead for you. Go nuts.