Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...it sounds like the afflicted region would be "everything but his head"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

That's why you have to do it carefully.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak_Anima wrote:...it sounds like the afflicted region would be "everything but his head"
Then I can use the line "Hey, baby, can I get some head?"
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ew. If I get into something I'm allergic to (which a couple years ago turned out to be a cold remedy tea), I use loratadine first. I'll turn to diphenhydramine if the hives are particularly bad and loratadine doesn't do the trick.

Usually, that just helps with the itch. So does wearing loose, non-synthetic clothing (rayon is an exception). Hives take about a week to go away for me.

:ohwell:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I actually have some loratadine. I'll give that a try right away.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, does anyone know of a place like Cafepress or Zazzle, but which does wallets? It's time for a new one, and I thought it'd be cool to have one with Blackbeard's Jolly Roger on it (either movie version, or restyled historical).

stipulations: trifold, something at least pretending to be leather.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

New question:
In what areas did royal childen typically receive education? What things would a prince be expected to know? I'm at "a combat form, more sport than practical, but would serve in personal conflict," history, riding, and possibly some religious schooling.

Falgund
Journeyman

Post by Falgund »

I'll add etiquette and politics/subterfuge (and by that I mean something like Machiavelli's The Prince).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Prak_Anima wrote:New question:
In what areas did royal childen typically receive education? What things would a prince be expected to know? I'm at "a combat form, more sport than practical, but would serve in personal conflict," history, riding, and possibly some religious schooling.
At what point in time?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

And in what culture?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was thinking generically, for cultures and times that had nobles that actually ruled and affected national politics. Figure Medieval Britons.

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Highly variable - there was no standardization. They got whatever tuition was in fashion, or was offered by the scholar who had gotten the tutor job by merit or graft.

In addition to things you've mentioned - hunting was close to mandatory, so was at least some law, and the fundamentals of courtesy. Liberal arts (trivium+quadrivium) was certainly possible, as was dancing and music.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

What does this emote mean: (:D))

I was told that that was the emote for the trollface, but I want to make sure it's not something vulgar before I start using it.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

It doesn't look very troll-facey, so at the least we can establish it's not very effective.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm guessing it's a grin (:D) with a double-chin. Which I suppose is trollface.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

What does "WTB" mean as in "WTB after sundown MC"?
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

"Want to Buy". It's from MMOs, namely, you'd say it in the global chats projected to the entire city; something like "WTB Animal Hides".
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:What does this emote mean: (:D))

I was told that that was the emote for the trollface, but I want to make sure it's not something vulgar before I start using it.
I can sort of see Trollface there (if those are wrinkles), but like DSMatticus said, it's not super effective. If you hadn't mentioned Trollface, I would have guessed double-chin, like Koumei.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Wow. Eyes do funny things to people. When I saw Count's smiley face, I interpreted the D as the nose, the first ) as its mouth, and the top and bottom () as the top and bottom of its head. Never would have gone double chin.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Maj wrote:Wow. Eyes do funny things to people. When I saw Count's smiley face, I interpreted the D as the nose, the first ) as its mouth, and the top and bottom () as the top and bottom of its head. Never would have gone double chin.
}}: D) might be better, though it still has the nose problem for people that see smiley's as having noses.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Prak: Have you tried etsy or making your own wallet?

instructables has some great ideas for wallets. There's a ruggedized innertube wallet that I've been wanting to make except for not having an available tire to steal the innertube from.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:Prak: Have you tried etsy or making your own wallet?

instructables has some great ideas for wallets. There's a ruggedized innertube wallet that I've been wanting to make except for not having an available tire to steal the innertube from.
I've been thinking about just making one, but that has the problem of requiring a sewing machine (all three machines in the house need to be serviced) and learning how to print on cloth

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

This is a rather annoying question because I should know the answer.

"I saw them, the five Golden Geese, walking up Broadway."

Can you say the same thing but put the commas around "them" instead?

That is:

"I saw, them, the five Golden Geese, walking up Broadway."

It seems wrong but I don't see why it should be wrong.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Cynic wrote:It seems wrong but I don't see why it should be wrong.
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

You can write dialogue in a grammatically incorrect way, though, because people talk not right all time.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:This is a rather annoying question because I should know the answer.

"I saw them, the five Golden Geese, walking up Broadway."

Can you say the same thing but put the commas around "them" instead?

That is:

"I saw, them, the five Golden Geese, walking up Broadway."

It seems wrong but I don't see why it should be wrong.
Basically it depends on how you want to say what you're saying.

The later is really "I saw (it), (it was) them, the five Golden Geese, walking up Broadway."