A couple of new combat feats for function and flavor!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JanusJones
NPC

A couple of new combat feats for function and flavor!

Post by JanusJones »

So my friends and I love these rules, but we felt there were a few things missing in the combat feats. With the current rules, there is no advantage to wielding a two-handed weapon - ever. There's also no reason to ever shoot a crossbow. The first two feats cover those issues.

Next, I wanted a feat to allow for better shield wielders. Sure, you can just play a knight, but I wanted to see a feat that combined some of the fun sword-and-board gems from the PHBII.

Finally, I'm a sucker for Tome of Battle. I think it adds flash and a pretty solid mechanic to the game, and definately spices up melee for those who enjoy swinging big hunks of metal. I threw in a feat to add a little Kung-Fu flavor to any character.

Here's a quick list of some ideas for new combat feats. These should all work, methinks.

Sword and Boarder [Combat]
You block things with a big piece of metal. Or wood.
Benefit: You gain a +1 to your shield bonus to AC when wielding a shield. You also take no penalties from wielding a tower shield, and may use two-weapon fighting with up to a large sized shield in your off-hand as though the shield were a light weapon.
+1: Your shield bonus to AC counts as a bonus to avoid trips, grapple attempts, bull rushes, and any other opposed Str or Dex checks.
+6: Your shield bonus to AC adds to your touch AC.
+11: Your shield bonus to AC is added to your Reflex saves.
+16: Your shield bonus to AC is added to your Fortitude saves.

Martial Artist [Combat]You know Kung-Fu.
Benefit: Choose a school of study from the Tome of Battle. That school’s focal skill is now always a class skill for you, and you receive a +2 bonus to checks with that skill. In addition, your martial adept level for the single school you select counts as your character level (regardless of your classes), but cannot be raised above it. You may refresh one maneuver learned from this feat with a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, or, if you have martial adept levels, use the refresh mechanic provided by your martial adept class. You may take this feat more than once, but you must select a different school each time.
+1: You gain access to a 1st level martial stance that you meet the prerequisites for.
+6: You gain access to a martial maneuver of 3rd level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.
+11: You gain access to a martial stance of 6th level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.
+16: You gain access to a martial maneuver of 8th level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.

Two-Hander [Combat]
You like to hit things with something it takes both hands to lift.
Benefit: You deal two times your Strength modifier in damage when wielding a two-handed weapon using both hands.
+1: You gain a +2 to hit with two-handed weapons when you wield them with both hands.
+6: You deal three points of damage for every single point of penalty you accept to your attack roll when using the Power Attack option with a two-handed weapon wielded in both hands.
+11: Your powerful blows ruin your opponent’s equipment. Whenever you hit, any armor, shield, or weapon wielded by the opponent is subjected to a free sunder attempt.
+16: You use the strength of your grip to parry shattering blows. When wielding a two-handed weapon in both hands, you gain a +4 Dodge bonus to AC.

Trick Shooting [Combat]
You could shoot a hair off a donkey's ass. If you wanted to.
Benefit: You can hit a second target within 10 feet of your original target with a ricochet. Make a second attack roll at a -4 to hit.
+1: You can disarm, bull rush, or trip opponents with your shots. Your weapon counts as one-handed for these purposes, and you use your Dex score in place of your Str.
+6: You can pin enemies with your shots. They must be standing next to a wall (or be bull rushed into it!). Every arrow after the first successful grapple check is made grants a +1 bonus to the total check to maintain the pin.
+11: You get a +4 bonus on ranged disarm, bull rush, trip, and pin attempts per difference in size category between you and your target.
+16: You no longer take the -4 penalty when making a ricochet shot.

Crossbow Slinger [Combat]
Your shotgun goes "twang!"
+1: You can reload any crossbow as a free action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
+6: As a standard action, you may fire a bolt from your crossbow as a 60 foot line attack. Make one attack roll and compare it to the individual AC of each target that lies along the line.
+11: Your shots with a crossbow deal additional damage equal to 1/2 your Dex modifier when the target is within 30 feet.
+16: Your shots with a crossbow are all treated as though your weapon possesses the exit wound special weapon property from Complete Warrior.
User3
Prince

Re: A couple of new combat feats for function and flavor!

Post by User3 »

Is this intended to work with RoW?
JanusJones
NPC

Post by JanusJones »

Yep.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

JanusJones at [unixtime wrote:1182907677[/unixtime]]
Benefit: You gain a +1 to your shield bonus to AC when wielding a shield. You also take no penalties from wielding a tower shield, and may use two-weapon fighting with up to a large sized shield in your off-hand as though the shield were a light weapon.
+1: Your shield bonus to AC counts as a bonus to avoid trips, grapple attempts, bull rushes, and any other opposed Str or Dex checks.
+11: Your shield bonus to AC is added to your Reflex saves.
+16: Your shield bonus to AC is added to your Fortitude saves.

Unfortunately this feat doesn't actually let you do anything, it just gives you numerical bonuses. I was under the impression that Combat feats are supposed give you at least 2 or 3 cool new tricks to play with when you reach the various BAB requisites. I might come up with suggestions later.

JanusJones at [unixtime wrote:1182907677[/unixtime]]
Martial Artist [Combat]You know Kung-Fu.
Benefit: Choose a school of study from the Tome of Battle. That school’s focal skill is now always a class skill for you, and you receive a +2 bonus to checks with that skill. In addition, your martial adept level for the single school you select counts as your character level (regardless of your classes), but cannot be raised above it. You may refresh one maneuver learned from this feat with a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, or, if you have martial adept levels, use the refresh mechanic provided by your martial adept class.

This way no one will ever refresh maneuvers; it should be a move action at most.

JanusJones at [unixtime wrote:1182907677[/unixtime]]You may take this feat more than once, but you must select a different school each time.
+1: You gain access to a 1st level martial stance that you meet the prerequisites for.
+6: You gain access to a martial maneuver of 3rd level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.
+11: You gain access to a martial stance of 6th level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.
+16: You gain access to a martial maneuver of 8th level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.

I suggest you change the BAB+1 option to give one Maneuver and one Stance, maybe limit the Maneuver by type(strike, boost, counter). Only two of the schools(Devoted Spirit and White Raven[what a surprise!]) , IMO, offer a first level stance that is even arguably worthy of being a Combat Feat option.

At BAB 11 do the same thing, and at BAB 6 and 16 give some small bonus like +3 to school related skill or something like the Swordsage's Insightful Strike ability for that particular maneuver. Make sure you say somewhere that you actually get to ready these maneuvers you get access to.

JanusJones at [unixtime wrote:1182907677[/unixtime]]Two-Hander [Combat]
Benefit: You deal two times your Strength modifier in damage when wielding a two-handed weapon using both hands.
+1: You gain a +2 to hit with two-handed weapons when you wield them with both hands.
+6: You deal three points of damage for every single point of penalty you accept to your attack roll when using the Power Attack option with a two-handed weapon wielded in both hands.
+11: Your powerful blows ruin your opponent’s equipment. Whenever you hit, any armor, shield, or weapon wielded by the opponent is subjected to a free sunder attempt.
+16: You use the strength of your grip to parry shattering blows. When wielding a two-handed weapon in both hands, you gain a +4 Dodge bonus to AC.

This one is rather good actually, but suffers slightly from the same problem as your shield feat. I'd be willing to take it as written though.

JanusJones at [unixtime wrote:1182907677[/unixtime]]Trick Shooting [Combat]
Benefit: You can hit a second target within 10 feet of your original target with a ricochet. Make a second attack roll at a -4 to hit.
+1: You can disarm, bull rush, or trip opponents with your shots. Your weapon counts as one-handed for these purposes, and you use your Dex score in place of your Str.
+6: You can pin enemies with your shots. They must be standing next to a wall (or be bull rushed into it!). Every arrow after the first successful grapple check is made grants a +1 bonus to the total check to maintain the pin.
+11: You get a +4 bonus on ranged disarm, bull rush, trip, and pin attempts per difference in size category between you and your target.
+16: You no longer take the -4 penalty when making a ricochet shot.

This feat starts out awesome, but peters out at BAB 11; you really need something more interesting for the higher level abilities. I may add suggestions later.

JanusJones at [unixtime wrote:1182907677[/unixtime]]Crossbow Slinger [Combat]
+1: You can reload any crossbow as a free action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
+6: As a standard action, you may fire a bolt from your crossbow as a 60 foot line attack. Make one attack roll and compare it to the individual AC of each target that lies along the line.
+11: Your shots with a crossbow deal additional damage equal to 1/2 your Dex modifier when the target is within 30 feet.
+16: Your shots with a crossbow are all treated as though your weapon possesses the exit wound special weapon property from Complete Warrior.

You forgot the pre BAB+1 bonus. Maybe something about ignoring cover if the hardness of the object giving cover is lower than your damage roll or something. Again you feat starts out good, but fails to deliver at BAB 11 and 16. Suggestions later; maybe.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

The above was me BTW.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

In that case...

"Sword & Boarder":
Saying that "You also take no penalties from wielding a tower shield" is a little much. Firstly, it's poorly defined. If we assume it means that 'your ACP, ASP, and attacks take no penalty due to your use of a tower shield,' that's huge.

ACP for a tower shield is normally 10. Suddenly, a 1st level character can use a tower shield with no reduction in speed, claiming 1/2 cover at all times. A wizard will have no ASF.

Sword & board style is already supposed to be balanced with other styles. Normally that's done via the TWF feat.

"THF": I really see no reason to restrict characters to using two-handed weapons. If you're holding a weapon in two hands, that should be enough. Even if you have EWP (I'm an anime fanboy).

"Trick Shooting":
Archers are quite powerful in RoW already. The knock back ability is really strong. It's so good that I've come up with a number of builds designed to exploit it through any means possible. If, as an archer, you can keep opponents from closing or knock them away... GG.

Anyways, that's the criticism. Other than that, nice job writing up the feats, those really do seem to be the most popular ideas which weren't in the book.
JanusJones
NPC

Post by JanusJones »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182922095[/unixtime]]Unfortunately this feat doesn't actually let you do anything, it just gives you numerical bonuses. I was under the impression that Combat feats are supposed give you at least 2 or 3 cool new tricks to play with when you reach the various BAB requisites. I might come up with suggestions later.

Hmmm. I was trying to incorporate some of the PHBII feats, but I do see your point. Could we perhaps edit in a Shield Sling effect, a la PHBII?

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182922095[/unixtime]]
This way no one will ever refresh maneuvers; it should be a move action at most.

I suggest you change the BAB+1 option to give one Maneuver and one Stance, maybe limit the Maneuver by type(strike, boost, counter). Only two of the schools(Devoted Spirit and White Raven[what a surprise!]) , IMO, offer a first level stance that is even arguably worthy of being a Combat Feat option.

At BAB 11 do the same thing, and at BAB 6 and 16 give some small bonus like +3 to school related skill or something like the Swordsage's Insightful Strike ability for that particular maneuver. Make sure you say somewhere that you actually get to ready these maneuvers you get access to.

Actually, Blood in the Water from the Tiger Claw school is pretty darn nifty as a first level stance, but I do take your point. I should include the text about being able to ready these maneuvers, too. I made the refresh mechanic a little annoying so that Fighters wouldn't be able to out-class martial adepts at Kung Fu, but perhaps a full-round is a bit much. Maybe a move action, but only to renew a single maneuver.

I think instead of the boosts, I might want to add in more maneuvers of different types. What do you think?

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182922095[/unixtime]]This one is rather good actually, but suffers slightly from the same problem as your shield feat. I'd be willing to take it as written though.

I agree about it not giving nifty new ideas. Thanks for the complement though!

It does make one ponder. I disagree with the other poster, however; with the current rules there is absolutely NO conceivable reason why anyone wouldn't fight with two weapons. Two handers have absolutely no advantage save reach, which simply isn't enough. With Two-Weapon Fighting you DOUBLE your attacks - with the new Power Attack rules, there is no real avantage to wiedling a two-handed weapon instead of a one-handed weapon, which means two-handers needed (in my humble opinion) a feat to kick them up a notch. Still, I do think we might be able to swing some better special abilities or moves. Any thoughts?

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182922095[/unixtime]]This feat starts out awesome, but peters out at BAB 11; you really need something more interesting for the higher level abilities. I may add suggestions later.

Yeah, I got stumped at higher levels. Any thoughts would be great.

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1182922095[/unixtime]]You forgot the pre BAB+1 bonus. Maybe something about ignoring cover if the hardness of the object giving cover is lower than your damage roll or something. Again you feat starts out good, but fails to deliver at BAB 11 and 16. Suggestions later; maybe.

Once again, true. The pre-BaB boost should be the free reload, methinks - after that you have to get creative. I liked the exit wounds special property, though - fun and cinematic to blow holes in people, thought I.

Thanks for the input! Revisions will be forthcoming, but I'd love more editing and suggestions before I try to nail these guys down.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

For the shield, you might consider the ability to shield bash someone and force them to make a save vs being dazed.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

JanusJones wrote:+11: Your powerful blows ruin your opponent’s equipment. Whenever you hit, any armor, shield, or weapon wielded by the opponent is subjected to a free sunder attempt.

You cannot sunder armor and shields.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1182983540[/unixtime]]
JanusJones wrote:+11: Your powerful blows ruin your opponent’s equipment. Whenever you hit, any armor, shield, or weapon wielded by the opponent is subjected to a free sunder attempt.

You cannot sunder armor and shields.

You can sunder shields. You can't sunder armor though unless it is taken off and lying on the ground, but you might as well take it then.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, if you want the abilities to be new tricks write in damn flavour text. Sheesh.

-Crissa
JanusJones
NPC

Post by JanusJones »

A new idea for the +16 ability for the Two-Hander feat:

Two-Hander [Combat]
+11: Your powerful blows ruin your opponent’s equipment. Whenever you hit, any armor, shield, or weapon wielded by the opponent is subjected to a free sunder attempt. This ability can sunder armor worn by an enemy.
+16: You can use the strength of your grip to parry shatteringly powerful blows. When attacked with a physical object by an enemy (not an energy attack, but a corporeal one), you may give up an attack of opportunity to parry the blow. Make an attack roll with a DC equal to the opponent's attack roll. If you succeed, roll damage for the attack, then subtract that damage from the damage you would have been dealt by the blow.

A new version of the Martial Artist feat:

Martial Artist [Combat]
You know Kung-Fu.
Benefit: Choose a school of study from the Tome of Battle. That school’s focal skill is now always a class skill for you, and you receive a +2 bonus to checks with that skill. In addition, your martial adept level for the single school you select counts as your character level (regardless of your classes), but cannot be raised above it. You may refresh all maneuvers learned from this feat with a full-round action, or, if you have martial adept levels, use the refresh mechanic provided by your martial adept class. You may ready all of your maneuvers granted by this feat. You may take this feat more than once, but you must select a different school each time.
+1: You gain access to a 1st level maneuver and a first level martial stance of your chosen school that you meet the prerequisites for.
+6: You gain access to a martial maneuver and boost or counter of 3rd level or lower that you meet the prerequisites for.
+11: You gain access to a martial stance and martial maneuver of 6th level or lower of your chosen school that you meet the prerequisites for.
+16: You gain access to a martial maneuver and martial stance of 8th level or lower of your chosen school that you meet the prerequisites for.

A couple of new abilities for the Trick Shooting feat:

Trick Shooting [Combat]
Benefit: You can hit a second target within 10 feet of your original target with a ricochet. Make a second attack roll at a -4 to hit. Targets are automatically considered flat-footed against a riccochet attack.
+16: You no longer take the -4 penalty when making a ricochet shot. In addition, you may riccochet to a second target within 20 feet and make a second riccochet attack off of that second target at a -4 penalty.

Crossbow Slinger [Combat]
Benefit:You can reload any crossbow as a free action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
+1: Your shots with a crossbow deal additional damage equal to 1/2 your Dex modifier when the target is within 30 feet.
+11: Your shots with a crossbow have an 15-20 critical threat range and deal x3 damage with a successful critical hit. The range cannot be improved magically or otherwise, but the critical multiplier may be.
+16: Your shots with a crossbow are all treated as though your weapon possesses the exit wound special weapon property from Complete Warrior. In addition, your shots automatically ignore cover with hardness lower than 20.

And finally:

+11: Your shield bonus to AC is added to your Reflex and Fortitude saves.
+16: As an immediate action, choose an attack. The effect of that attack is negated.