Worldwide Adventure Writing Month

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shirak
Knight

Re: World Adventure Writing Month

Post by shirak »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1182935132[/unixtime]]Some of these TPK's require too much cooperation on the DM's part, like the black dragon. If a dumb DM just lets the creature swim up to the PC's and melee it they will win easily. That's the beauty of the Giant Crab, it wins no matter what.

Read my scene directions again. The dragon is very predictable: it stays away and breathes at the PCs until they're dead.

On Giant Crabs: Yeah, you have to actively try not to TPK with these things.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Shirak wrote:Unfortunately for the PCs and poor Spot, the Dread Pirate LeSigh was prepared and released his pet and long-time friend on the water: a Black Dragon wyrmling! The Dragon decides to play with his food and instead of fighting the PCs tries to attack the boat. He uses his breath weapon and wicked claws to tear large holes in the dinky rowboat. Unless the PCs stop the attack, they will have to swim to the shore and try again. The Dragon of course is not satisfied and will try to open holes on the PCs too! It will use the same tactics and be very predictable, giving the PCs a significant advantage.

:(
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182933720[/unixtime]]
Are you on drugs?

Ah, random insults now, is it? In which case, "No, thanks for offering, but the cheap sh*t you buy ain't anywhere near as good as the stuff yo momma gives me." :tongue:

In addition to the excellent point made by Mr. WaeseL (and bear in mind who might be running these adventures; *any* of the encounters we've posited might be scuppered by a DM not following the script), a half-bright 3rd-level party ought to have Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally available, preferably more than once. That can deal with a wyrmling black dragon easily if you're relying on the creature staying at range and breathing because it just doesn't do enough melee damage.

It has to get within 30' of the boat to use the acid attack, the summoned squiddies grapple it and do automatic damage every round whilst the PC's who aren't a complete liability in the water dive in and finish it off. With a 1d4 round gap in-between breaths, there's plenty of time to set up something like that.

Come to think of it, that pretty obvious tactic would also scupper the Merfolk, although the Shark would have a much better fighting chance.

Finally, there's my earlier point that I doubt very much that someone reading this adventure would consider a CR3 creature with a Swim speed to be an EL3 encounter, because of the creature's massive terrain advantage.

A creature that out-and-out destroys the boat and leaves the party to swim a few hundred yards with all their kit would be preferable, even if it isn't terribly effective in combat. The pestiferous water elemental that keeps capsizing the boat and running away is fun but perhaps not lethal enough, even with the shark.

Hmmm...
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Encounter #3 added: en garde!
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182936334[/unixtime]]
shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182933720[/unixtime]]
Are you on drugs?

Ah, random insults now, is it? In which case, "No, thanks for offering, but the cheap sh*t you buy ain't anywhere near as good as the stuff yo momma gives me."

You're no fun at all, you know that? Random insults is kind of a trademark around here. You're a tough kid, you can handle it. :tongue:

As for the Summoning. This is NOT a good way to deal with the situation. The iconic party doesn't have a Druid, so it all depends on whether the average Cleric has SM prepared. In any case the dragon can swim at 60ft which is as fast as a squid. The dragon can stay away for three rounds and then get back and still own you. Good luck with that.

Btw 1, the point is not to TPK, it's to TPK while the encounter seems normal. So, yeah, Black Dragons are supposed to sit around in the water and breathe at people. It's what they do.

Btw 2, you can find Frank's thread on the Red Hand of Doom here.

Btw 3, the crab is Encounter #3, not #4 :bricks:
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Kid now, is it? I wish!

I didn't realise we were writing for an iconic party, I thought we were writing for a "likely" party... silly me.

As for Summoning as a tactic, having the dragon go "oh, this is a 3rd-level party, I'll just stay away for three rounds" is a bit of a stretch. But, you know, whatever.

1. If you like. You can stat it, though :tongue:
2. Wow. Just, wow. I can see why that module deserves a nod.
3. Oops, my bad! Fixed.

If we're talking about an iconic party, then the 1st-level spell Speed Swim will probably get them out of this fix. And of course, knowing that they're travelling on water gives them every reason to have taken it one way or another. It all depends on whether they realise what's damaging the boat and whether they react fast enough!

Something hits boat, party Wizard/Sorceror casts Speed Swim on party melee monster who jumps overboard, dragon gets within range to breathe, melee monster spots, charges and pwns it.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]Kid now, is it? I wish!

Oro?

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]I didn't realise we were writing for an iconic party, I thought we were writing for a "likely" party... silly me.

Sorry? Isn't that what iconic party means? The party usually played by people? At least, that's how I understand the term.

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]tAs for Summoning as a tactic, having the dragon go "oh, this is a 3rd-level party, I'll just stay away for three rounds" is a bit of a stretch. But, you know, whatever.

It has an Int of 8 and several thousand years of it's species doing exactly that. I'd think they'd have learned to maximize their advantages by now, neh?

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]1. If you like. You can stat it, though :tongue:

As if! :biggrin:

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]2. Wow. Just, wow. I can see why that module deserves a nod.

If you mean a nod to the executioner to get on with it, then yeah, i agree.

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]3. Oops, my bad! Fixed.

NP

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]If we're talking about an iconic party, then the 1st-level spell Speed Swim will probably get them out of this fix. And of course, knowing that they're travelling on water gives them every reason to have taken it one way or another. It all depends on whether they realise what's damaging the boat and whether they react fast enough!

Something hits boat, party Wizard/Sorceror casts Speed Swim on party melee monster who jumps overboard, dragon gets within range to breathe, melee monster spots, charges and pwns it.

Assuming the spell is available, that might work. Unless the dragon can out-swim the melee guy, in which case it just says a bit farther away than he can swim and breathes/waits for the guy to drown.

Still, the melee guy has -2 to attack and does half damage while the dragon has AC 15 and 30 HP. I'll go with the dragon if it's all the same to you. ;)
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182936334[/unixtime]]
Finally, there's my earlier point that I doubt very much that someone reading this adventure would consider a CR3 creature with a Swim speed to be an EL3 encounter, because of the creature's massive terrain advantage.

Yep, everybody knows that the shark's CR assumes you encounter it on land.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Don't conflate CR and EL. The "Modifying Difficulty" section of the DMG lists "Underwater" as a location that should modify the EL, at least the way I'm reading it. The shark's CR is 2, the elemental is CR1. I believe (although I could be mistaken) that a CR2 beastie and a CR1 beastie are still an EL2 encounter by default. That would get a +1 modifier due to the terrain, making it an EL3 encounter. The dragon starts CR3 so would reasonably be considered an EL4 encounter even in a world where dragon CR's weren't apesh*t.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182948792[/unixtime]]
Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]Kid now, is it? I wish!

Oro?

Sh'mae?

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182948792[/unixtime]]Sorry? Isn't that what iconic party means? The party usually played by people? At least, that's how I understand the term.

No, I wouldn't have said so. Something is "iconic", colloquially, if it most strongly represents - as an image - the thing with which it is associated. I'd call the "iconic" party a Wizard/Rogue/Cleric/Fighter but that's probably a very long way from the "likely" party that people will use to play the adventure.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Fighter that hadn't morphed into something else by level 3. In fact, I can't remember *ever* having seen a single-classed fighter beyond 4th level and that was a player new to the game!

Strictly speaking, I believe "iconic" would mean "pertaining to an icon", and an icon is a representation of something holy or sacred, if memory serves. The term gets used a fair bit in all sorts of contexts though; I think the definition I've used is probably pretty much what most people would understand by it, at least in the UK. Could be wrong. Regardless of either of us misunderstanding "iconic", I was labouring under the assumption that people would have a free choice of character; and that most reasonable players would probably choose almost anything other than a Fighter, even in a party with no meat-shield!

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182948792[/unixtime]]It has an Int of 8 and several thousand years of it's species doing exactly that. I'd think they'd have learned to maximize their advantages by now, neh?

Learning to maximise one's advantages != "knowing the party's spells are going to run out quickly and using tactics based on that knowledge". Anyway, I didn't think black dragons were big on parental guidance: if they are, what's that wyrmling doing alone in a big nasty ocean?

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]1. If you like. You can stat it, though :tongue:

As if! :biggrin:

*sigh* Thought as much... I'll do it tomorrow!

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182945796[/unixtime]]2. Wow. Just, wow. I can see why that module deserves a nod.

If you mean a nod to the executioner to get on with it, then yeah, i agree.

I was actually thinking of "a nod" in the sense of "an acknowledgement or homage", as in the sentence:

"This encounter is our acknowledgement of the fact that Wizards of the Coast could not successfully write 'Fvck' on a wall."

It could be reasonably followed by: "Although we're sure that even if they'd accidentally written 'Sh*t' instead, they'd give it some nice cover art, call it 'The Tome of Fvck' and publish anyway."

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182948792[/unixtime]]Assuming the spell is available, that might work. Unless the dragon can out-swim the melee guy, in which case it just says a bit farther away than he can swim and breathes/waits for the guy to drown.

The dragon has to get close enough to breathe and doesn't know what spells or capabilities the party has. The character jumps in the water, waits for the creature to close to breath weapon range and charges. Grappling might be a good option for him, particularly if the party has the ability to summon something water-based.

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182948792[/unixtime]]Still, the melee guy has -2 to attack and does half damage while the dragon has AC 15 and 30 HP. I'll go with the dragon if it's all the same to you. ;)

Assuming the party aren't complete bread-heads, he'll have a piercing weapon, and/or grab one as he jumps overboard.

Actually, the more I think about the wyrmling encounter, the more I think it's somewhat approaching "pretty tough but fair".
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]Sh'mae?

"Oro" as a question is a habit I picked up from Rurouni Kenshin. It doesn't actually mean anything, it's just a generic question, usually implying I didn't get what you said. So, what did you say?

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]Learning to maximise one's advantages != "knowing the party's spells are going to run out quickly and using tactics based on that knowledge". Anyway, I didn't think black dragons were big on parental guidance: if they are, what's that wyrmling doing alone in a big nasty ocean?

The most reasonable tactic for such a dragon si very easy. Get into position, breathe at the boat until it's gone, then pick off the people in the boat. Black Dragons may not be big on parental guidance but neither are ants and look at what they do.

Really, I think this behavior, to stay away from your enemy and breathe on them until they melt, should come naturally at dragons. Ingrained instinct or something.

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]

Yay! :jump:

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]I was actually thinking of "a nod" in the sense of "an acknowledgement or homage", as in the sentence:

"This encounter is our acknowledgement of the fact that Wizards of the Coast could not successfully write 'Fvck' on a wall."

It could be reasonably followed by: "Although we're sure that even if they'd accidentally written 'Sh*t' instead, they'd give it some nice cover art, call it 'The Tome of Fvck' and publish anyway."

Hooray for agreements!

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]The dragon has to get close enough to breathe and doesn't know what spells or capabilities the party has. The character jumps in the water, waits for the creature to close to breath weapon range and charges. Grappling might be a good option for him, particularly if the party has the ability to summon something water-based.

The dragon already is in range. It's beneath the boat and breathing on it. The PCs might not even be aware of it until the boat starts to leak like crazy. All the dragon has to do is stay away from the fighter. It can reasonably expect a human to not surpass it's maximum breath range while swimming (there must be jokes around about how slow humanoids swim). If the human suddenly sprints underwater the dragon will be surprised and probably suffer one attack. At which point it runs away and observes the humans. It may return when it sees the spell's effect passed (a spell is a very reasonable explanations for the human's behavior and the dragon understands the concept of Duration ie powerful casters' spells last a lot).

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]Assuming the party aren't complete bread-heads, he'll have a piercing weapon, and/or grab one as he jumps overboard.

Actually, the more I think about the wyrmling encounter, the more I think it's somewhat approaching "pretty tough but fair".

I disagree. This is a guaranteed TPK if the dragon is played as I outlined which a reasonable behavior for a dragon anyway.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]]
"Oro" as a question is a habit I picked up from Rurouni Kenshin. It doesn't actually mean anything, it's just a generic question, usually implying I didn't get what you said. So, what did you say?

Manga's not my thing so I missed that! What I said was "Kid, is it now? I wish!" in response to your use of the phrase "tough kid". I'm afraid I'd be hard-pressed to justify referring to myself as a "kid", although it'd be great if I could!

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]]Really, I think this behavior, to stay away from your enemy and breathe on them until they melt, should come naturally at dragons. Ingrained instinct or something.

Perhaps, but you're relying too much there on a DM that *wants* to TPK the party. The idea of this is that it looks plausible until you play it. There's a 1d4 round gap between breaths and plenty of time for a DM to realise that if he keeps going this way he's going to kill the party with an incidental encounter.

Look at the way I statted the first one. All the DM has to do is follow the very first scene direction and the party is mostly dead before he has a chance to realise what's going on. 48 points of damage, Reflex DC15 for half, is almost certainly going to leave at least one player dead. Unless he has the bad guy fall on his sword in remorse, there's little way he can avoid dispatching most of them if they don't run.

If he followed your original scene directions - which is what most DM's are likely to do - then the dragon doesn't have much chance of either surviving or wiping out the party.

For the wyrmling scenario to succeed without chance of failure, he has to deliberately and with malice aforethought perform actions designed to TPK. I'll illustrate below.

Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]

Yay! :jump:

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]]The dragon already is in range. It's beneath the boat and breathing on it.

So it's only 30' away; a move action for a character with a Swim speed.

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]]The PCs might not even be aware of it until the boat starts to leak like crazy.

Again, that's heavily reliant on DM complicity. Unless the person running the campaign was out-and-out trying deliberately to kill the party off, he'd give them a chance or two to notice something was amiss. There's just too much time to realise that if he tries his utmost he's going to completely screw the party and you can't rely on that.

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]] All the dragon has to do is stay away from the fighter. It can reasonably expect a human to not surpass it's maximum breath range while swimming (there must be jokes around about how slow humanoids swim). If the human suddenly sprints underwater the dragon will be surprised and probably suffer one attack.

Which, at that point, is going to be a grapple if the fighter has any sense, which gives the party time to join in.

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]] At which point it runs away and observes the humans.

Taking an attack of opportunity as it goes.

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]] It may return when it sees the spell's effect passed (a spell is a very reasonable explanations for the human's behavior and the dragon understands the concept of Duration ie powerful casters' spells last a lot).

No, you're making too many assumptions about how the DM thinks. This wyrmling dragon has no ranks in Spellcraft and little life experience. You could just as easily argue that the DM says "the dragon doesn't have any idea how long your spells will last and so leaves you alone until you reach the shore".

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1182981992[/unixtime]]
Amra at [unixtime wrote:1182974158[/unixtime]]Assuming the party aren't complete bread-heads, he'll have a piercing weapon, and/or grab one as he jumps overboard.

I disagree. This is a guaranteed TPK if the dragon is played as I outlined which a reasonable behavior for a dragon anyway.
[/quote]

It's nowhere near a guaranteed TPK, and your idea of "reasonable" and that of the DM who's running it may well not gel. Even IF the DM does try his hardest, the dragon's a long way from definitely winning.

A Sorceror with a Familiar and Alter Self - which is pretty reasonable - could take the dragon, or at least interfere with it enough that the rest of the party can get in on the act. If there's a Speed Swim for the barbarian and/or summoning spell or two around as well, the party's victory is even likely.

The dragon's breath weapon is a standard action so it can't move, breathe and move again. If the party had any inkling there would be extended travel in a rowboat before setting off, they'll have prepared as best they can.

This is a TPK *if*:

1) the DM is prepared to wipe the party out, deliberately, taking a period of many rounds to do so whilst the players in front of him whine and cry

AND

2) the players don't have access to one or more of several common spells that could shift the balance of this encounter

Anyway, all of this is taking valuable time away from statting the other encounters! :biggrin:
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Right, so, I've started statting encounter #4 and amended the post accordingly, but I have a problem or two that I'd like some help with. Firstly, my rules-fu tells me that the monkey-juggling-whip-tokens can't work because whip tokens don't have an activation method specified, in which case the rules say you default to command word: and monkeys can't speak. As a secondary consideration, monkeys aren't on the default list of familiars. As a tertiary consideration, any party member more than 10' into the Web couldn't be attacked by the whip anyway because it acts like a dancing weapon and thus remains in the wielder's square. As a quarternary consideration, anyone 20' or more into the web can't be attacked at all because they have total cover.

So; what's the best method of making use of a familiar in these circumstances? There's always the Alter Self option but that's a little uncertain, even if there's a scroll of Augment Familiar kicking around somewhere.

Secondly, in the absence of the whip token tactic, what's the best method of him doing the party some damage? He can hopefully keep them out of action for a good long time but that's not going to kill them.

Kelgore's Grave Mist will do 1d6 points of cold damage per round (no save) and cause fatigue, but only for three rounds. Luminous Swarm will do 1d6 damage each round (Reflex negates) to a single target for 5 rounds - although it'll have to be a target close enough that he can see them in the web. The guy's a Wizard, so plenty of 1st- and 2nd-level scrolls ought not to be too much to ask for. Igedrazaar's Miasma will do 3d4 points of nonlethal damage in a 15' radius burst, Fortitude negates.

Cloud of Bewilderment is nice, but he'll have to wait until someone's close enough for it to be worthwhile - it only has a 10ft range.

I suppose one option would be to Web them, soften them up with one or two of the listed listed area spells, then if they look like breaking out, hit them with Incendiary Slime and a burning torch for 2d4 + 4d6 fire damage (Web+Slime) and retreat to the other floor. Anyone got any good ideas? I haven't come up with anything that's a sure-fire killer yet. A spell that stops our hero being targeted by PC spellcaster is a must, too...
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Um..guys? We have two days left. Let's hurry up and finish this thing.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

We are indeed short of time, so if you want to offer some suggestions as requested, that'd be great...

I'm absolutely not going to have the time to finish all of this in two days with the current rate of external contribution, not no way no how, but if you look at the blog they seem to be suggesting that late submissions will still be accepted.

Anyone out there want to volunteer for artwork/mapping duties?
SeanKitty
NPC

Post by SeanKitty »

Hello! My name is SeanKitty, friend of Brobdingnagin and JudgingEagle. We've taken up the mantle of finishing this adventure up to the best of our abilties in as short as time possible. So, this night if we can.

Between JudgingEagle and I, we're throwing a reasonable map together. Will be posted up ASAP.

However, I am in need of some assistance. I would like to know where I can find the following spell descriptions:

Cloud of Bewilderment
Shadow Spray
Power Word, Pain
Power Word, Fatigue

Thank you!
-SeanKitty
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Well, I'm not sure whether you wanna a pointer to the actual descriptions, or know which books these came from. In case it's the latter: lists of WotC stuff.
User3
Prince

Re: Worldwide Adventure Writing Month

Post by User3 »

Damn, why did I trust WotC to actually update things? Well, I do know those power words are from Races of the Dragon, and this site has some of the stuff not covered at WotC.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Re: Worldwide Adventure Writing Month

Post by Iaimeki »

The others are from the Spell Compendium.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183275836[/unixtime]]Hello! My name is SeanKitty

Hello SeanKitty!

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183275836[/unixtime]]Cloud of Bewilderment

SpC, page 48

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183275836[/unixtime]]Shadow Spray

SpC, page 186

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183275836[/unixtime]]Power Word, Pain

Races of Lizard, page 115

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183275836[/unixtime]]Power Word, Fatigue

Races of Lizard, page 116

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183275836[/unixtime]]Thank you!
-SeanKitty

np
SeanKitty
NPC

Post by SeanKitty »

Thanks!

Next question: Is there somewhere I can find the stats for Rod of Water Breathing? I kinda need to know what it does. If there isn't anywhere I can find it pre-stated, I'm going to have to resort to... Using the DMG rules to make it myself...

It's coming up on seven in the morning and I'm still working. Wish me luck folks :P
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Regarding the Monstrous Crab: I pointed it out to my GM the other night, and he said "No, they nerfed that in Stormwrack" - and Lo and behold - on pages 141-142 we have Crab, Monstrous progressing all the way from small to colossal, as do the classic giant insects, and the Large Monstrous Crab is 1HD less and 1CR more than the one on the WotC website. It also is half the speed, cannot swim!!?? does less damage, and has a host of other minor stat differences.
SeanKitty
NPC

Post by SeanKitty »

Keep pointing things like this out, and you'll make my poor little head explode... Cause I don't have access to StormWreck.

Anyway, I have Encounter #5 written up and stated, and I'm working on lovely encounter #6, but I can't figure out the trap CR just yet. I think it's CR 2 according to DMG trapmaking rules (Base CR = 1, + spell level OR +1 per 7 points average damage inflicted per round. Yes???). Apparently you can put any number of spells into a magical trap so long as the highest level spell you put into it is no more than one, and it doesn't exceed a possible hit point damage per round of seven, then Trap is CR 2, no questions asked. Plus it can reset any number of times. I think something is wrong here...

My ranting aside, here is Ecounter 5 for your viewing (and destructive) pleasure! If anything doesn't make sense in the description, that's likely because we've changed stuff in previous encounters and will be posting up a complete version when we have completed the entire adventure.

Encounter #5
If the PCs opted to take the stone stairs, instead of the front door, they have the opportunity to gain the Rod of Water Breathing before they are aware of it. Alternatively, they learned of the item from Bob and are proceeding up the stairs to retrieve it. Regardless, read the following room description:

The door opens silently to reveal dim and damp 40’ by 40’ room with a hole in the ceiling against the back wall, where a ladder hangs precariously from. The only other source of light is the doorway you’re standing in, which lightly illuminates the chest in the far corner of the room. The first thing you notice is the overpowering stench of guano, and then the sounds of high-pitched screeching animals assault your ears. Covering the ceiling and walls are hundreds upon hundreds of bats.

If any of the PCs enter the room, the bats immediately form into a swarm and attack.

Bat Swarm
Diminutive Animal (swarm)

Init: +2
Senses: Blindsense 20ft, Low-Light Vision
Languages: -
AC: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), Touch 16, Flat-footed 10
HP: 13 (3d8)
Fort +3 Ref +7 Will +3
Speed: 5ft (1 square), Fly 40ft (good)
Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Base Att/Grapple: +2/-
Space/Reach: 10ft/0ft
Special Attack Options: Distraction, Wounding
Special Qualities: Half damage from slashing and piercing, swarm traits
Feats: Alertness, Lightning Reflexes
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4
Equipment: -
Alignment: Neutral

Tactics: The tatics for the bat swarm is simple. The swarm will invade any square which a PC occupies, trying to get as many PCs at once. It has no problem chasing the PCs down to the first floor, but will not follow the PCs outside. If the PCs flee via the stone spiral staircase, the swarm will disperse until the PCs return. However, once the swarm is defeated, it will not reform.

When the Swarm of Bats have been dispatched, the PCs may search the room. There isn’t much there, except for chest on the far side of the room (Corner 25ft from both doors). Upon further inspection, the chest is labelled “Traveling Supplies.” There are no locks or traps on the chest. Inside is a few basic traveling materials (rations, backpack, tent, etc.) and the Rod of Water Breathing.

(Stats for the Rod of Water Breathing have yet to be determined at this time).

There is one section of the stat block that contradicts itself under the Special Qualities second. It states that the swarm takes half damage from Slashing and Piercing weapons, yet under swarm traits it states that Tiny or Diminutive do not take damage from weapons.

What's the call here? :confused:
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Just dropped in on my way somewhere else, and... well doesn't that just suck. The voice I hear in my mind saying "En garde, bitches" just got a LOT squeakier. Ah well.

That's the "nerfing of the monstrous crab" that sucks, not the Encounter, in case anyone was in danger of feeling offended :biggrin:

I suppose we should be thankful it's fixed, but there's a little bit of history dead, right there :sad:
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

SeanKitty at [unixtime wrote:1183293501[/unixtime]]There is one section of the stat block that contradicts itself under the Special Qualities second. It states that the swarm takes half damage from Slashing and Piercing weapons, yet under swarm traits it states that Tiny or Diminutive do not take damage from weapons.

What's the call here? :confused:

Specific should override the general, but technically I think that they get both abilities (and therefore take 1/2 damage if you somehow manage to beat the invulnerability).