Somalian pirate funding coming from communal exchange

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

Somalian pirate funding coming from communal exchange

Post by mean_liar »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/ ... Z920091201

The dark part of me wonders if there's a local investor using BitCoins shuttled to him through Silk Road, exchanged to cash through an online brokerage and then invested in the local exchange fueling these operations.

3:1 is a pretty good ROI, and you can probably get a larger slice with a larger input. :p
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Piracy investor Sahra Ibrahim, a 22-year-old divorcee, was lined up with others waiting for her cut of a ransom pay-out after one of the gangs freed a Spanish tuna fishing vessel.

"I am waiting for my share after I contributed a rocket-propelled grenade for the operation," she said, adding that she got the weapon from her ex-husband in alimony.
Wat.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

"Piracy-related business has become the main profitable economic activity in our area and as locals we depend on their output," said Mohamed Adam, the town's deputy security officer.

"The district gets a percentage of every ransom from ships that have been released, and that goes on public infrastructure, including our hospital and our public schools."
Suddenly the story of Robin Hood seems a lot shadier and less heroic than I originally imagined.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

it's almost as if taking money from people and then handing the payouts to government bureaucrats is theft
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Now now, one way uses violence to extract wealth, keeps a portion, and gives a small amount to the public. The other way, er, um, nevermind.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Psychic Robot wrote:it's almost as if taking money from people and then handing the payouts to government bureaucrats is theft
If the government wasn't doing it, some other asshole would be standing there on payday with their hands out demanding money from the common man. A common man who is getting all his own income would last about 3 seconds before someone else jammed their hands in their pockets.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

If the government wasn't doing it, some other asshole would be standing there on payday with their hands out demanding money from the common man. A common man who is getting all his own income would last about 3 seconds before someone else jammed their hands in their pockets.
that's what the second amendment is for

Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

A gun represents (at the very cheapest) 2 weeks to a month's income for me. I can't afford one at this point.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

guns aren't a necessity anyway, just saying that it's a good way of protecting individual liberty. (not much that's more liberating than shooting communists and hippies)
Ant wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Hey, some of my best friends are communists. Fuck hippies though, they had the chance to change the world and they wasted their energy on drugs. Fuck'em.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I don't get why the rest of the world doesn't simply storm Somalia, sinks all boats there, blows up anything that even looks like it was bought with loot and ransom money, and repeats that every years until they stop pirating.

Tribute (which ransom is) doesn't work, we have seen that with the Barabry coast problem for centuries.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Because even the cheapest (effective implied) military action on Somalian pirates would actually be more expensive than paying ransoms. Difficult to win this one.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

that's implying that killing somalis isn't worth the expense
Ant wrote:
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Psychic Robot wrote:that's implying that killing somalis isn't worth the expense
won't they starve to death on their own anyway
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

or die of AIDS good point
Ant wrote:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Whatever wrote: won't they starve to death on their own anyway
Do you know what their national dish is?
Empty
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

this thread is gold
Ant wrote:
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Psychic Robot wrote:it's almost as if taking money from people and then handing the payouts to government bureaucrats is theft
No more or less than taking land and claiming it your property.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Fuchs wrote:I don't get why the rest of the world doesn't simply storm Somalia, sinks all boats there, blows up anything that even looks like it was bought with loot and ransom money, and repeats that every years until they stop pirating.

Tribute (which ransom is) doesn't work, we have seen that with the Barabry coast problem for centuries.
The funny thing is the west created the problem to begin with by rampant overfishing in somalian waters. People need to eat!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, "we" kind of brought that one on ourselves.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for the rest of his life. Steal all a man's fish and give him an RPG, what the fuck is wrong with you, why did you do that?
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Koumei wrote:Yeah, "we" kind of brought that one on ourselves.
Given the number of people in the thread about food that don't eat seafood, I'm going to blame someone else. Stop eating fish and save the pirates!