The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

crizh
Apprentice

Post by crizh »

Sticks is certainly in there. I'm afraid he ain't much of a threat to anybody due to not having an Initiative stat or any IP's...
Trust The Computer, The Computer is your friend.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

So, shoddy writing/editing as usual.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Spells and Chrome . .
Dirk Montgomery has, somehow, lost his Cyber-Arm, it seems . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
crizh
Apprentice

Post by crizh »

Almost every one I bothered to look at has much the same 'problem, good basic ideas but poor execution.

Ma'Fan, for example, was the first one I was interested enough in to look at. She has invested time and karma in learning Power Throw 2. Shame she forgot to learn Throwing Weapons really...

She also has over 20 doses of various drugs but lacks any real delivery systems. Not even DMSO.

I humbly submit that world class runners need to be designed by world class designers.
Trust The Computer, The Computer is your friend.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Stahlseele wrote:Spells and Chrome . .
Dirk Montgomery has, somehow, lost his Cyber-Arm, it seems . .
That is the least of the offenses committed in that book.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

But it's one of the most glaringly wrong things . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

No. Dirk having a flesh and blood arm is at least possible. You can get that kind of surgery done over the weekend. When you talk about "glaringly wrong," the shit that comes up is "the Necronomicon."
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

Took a glance at the product lines on display at Gen Con's Catalyst booth. CGL's really pushing their new game lines; Cosmic Patrol, Leviathans, Hex-A-Gon, and Merchants. Attendees were showing off their Leviathans pieces to each other so it seemed popular.

A fiberglass Battletech mech was on display in 2010 but both BT and Shadowrun had a very subdued presence this year.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

Maybe, just maybe, they are dumb enough to think that Shadowrun isn't worth putting the effort into. Fuck I hope that's true.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Maybe they aren't certain they'll keep the license and want to invest cash into ip that can't be taken from them?
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

FrankTrollman wrote:
crizh wrote:Well looks like the designer at least had the smarts to build in a response to the stupid ' I shoot him with a missile ' bullshit.

What amazes me is that DS has 5 pages of twaddle before anyone thinks to point out that the stat's are now in the public domain and not a matter for speculation any longer.
A missile would still totally nail him, the defenses aren't really that big.
-Username17
Let's run the numbers on this Frank. To start with: which missile. SR4 has way more than it really needs, especially now that WAR and all the RBB content are out.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Missles would probably simply MISS . . because of the fucked up scatter rules . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

Null sweat, use designator spells!

That sound is my head hitting the wall over and over again.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php? ... 5#msg65515
And this is basically EVERYTHING that's wrong with current shadowrun writing in one. single. posting.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Otakusensei wrote:Null sweat, use designator spells!

That sound is my head hitting the wall over and over again.
Then you don't even need to bring your own missile; just an armored vehicle so someone else brings one.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

Stahlseele wrote:http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php? ... 5#msg65515
And this is basically EVERYTHING that's wrong with current shadowrun writing in one. single. posting.
That was interesting enough to get me to post on the official forums again. Looks like I still had a little bit of give-a-shit.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Seriously . . and then they complain when we bitch about their writing . .
IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR WRITING TO BE BITCHED ABOUT, MAKE YOUR WRITING NOT SUCK DAMN IT! -.-

Edit: OK, Neurosis actually apologized for his flippant remark . . which is something that i can respect . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Crimsondude is a dick. As far as I can tell, he always has been. Nothing new there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*nods*
seems like it.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Ancient History
Serious Badass

I officially don't understand pricing anymore.

For those just tuning in (ha), the latest print book, Street Legends is going to hit the brick-and-mortar with a price of $44.99. If that seems like a lot, it's because it really fucking is. For comparison, the nominal cover price of Shadowrun 4th Edition 20th Anniversary Edition is also $44.99. I don't know if they're factoring in the Amazon discount already, but that's a lot of money for that little book - SR4A is 373 pages, SL is less than 200.

I know companies can get away with charging those prices - Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy, for example, both clock in at $59.95 nominal for the core books, with sourcebooks at $49.95 - so you could argue that maybe SR4A is underpriced by comparison. But those books have much higher production values and actual editing. It's really glaring to me to see them charge that much for an SR sourcebook.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
raben-aas
Apprentice

Post by raben-aas »

*shrug* If a price is too high, the customers won't buy it. If customers buy it, the price wasn't too high. God knows I wouldn't pay that much for a sourcebook about just some NPCs, but then again I am not a metaplot or NPC follower.

Give me a full-color book with less than 200 pages crammed full of illustrated and statted goons and utterly unknown, but interesting henchmen and nemeses I can copy+paste (= directly use) in my game (including art I can show my players and say "this is what your characters are looking at", and I would gladly pay even a lot more $$$ for it.
Last edited by raben-aas on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

5-15 bucks for something like that: ok
20-30 bucks kinda expensive
30+? where's a torrent for this?

dead tree, i'll buy up to 40€.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

raben-aas
Apprentice

Post by raben-aas »

Sorry, Stahlseele, but a full-color book at 5-15 bucks is not "ok".
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

not full colour in the up to 15 bucks category.
if it is in full colour, then it should be in the 20-30 bucks range and that'd be okay.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Fucks
Master

Post by Fucks »

Stahlseele wrote: if it is in full colour, then it should be in the 20-30 bucks range and that'd be okay.
:bash: