Youth Unemployment in the U.S.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

PhaedrusXY wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:And what will that lead to?
Lots of lawsuits, since it is illegal to age-discriminate against people 40+.
That's very hard to prove. Most people don't have the resources to fight that.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
PhaedrusXY wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:And what will that lead to?
Lots of lawsuits, since it is illegal to age-discriminate against people 40+.
That's very hard to prove. Most people don't have the resources to fight that.
Especially if they've been unemployed for seven years.

David Cameron is veering into supervillain territory. Seriously, the only explanation for this is that the Tories are actually trying to destroy the country.
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Datawolf wrote:Seriously, the only explanation for this is that the Tories are actually trying to destroy the country.
Another explanation is that they're trying to save England by flailing about in a ham-handed and misguided fashion.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Datawolf wrote:Seriously, the only explanation for this is that the Tories are actually trying to destroy the country.
Another explanation is that they're trying to save England by flailing about in a ham-handed and misguided fashion.
Yeah... I suppose Hanlon's Razor applies here. After all, if the government of the U.K. had actually put any thought into their actions these riots would likely have never occurred in the first place. Their current plans for dealing with the rioters clearly show that they have no idea what caused this debacle to begin with, and even less of an idea of how to effectively deal with this problem and prevent it from happening again.
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

If this had been the US, the riots wouldn't have lasted that long.
Everyone would be dead within the first day, due to everyone owning heavy machine guns with underslung hellfire missiles.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

It's my gawd-given right to have all the weapons I want. If you don't love America, you can GIT OUT!
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Yes, because the LA Riots ended in 1 day with a giant OK Corral shoot out.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

sabs wrote:Yes, because the LA Riots ended in 1 day with a giant OK Corral shoot out.
Oh, so you want to bring history and facts into it, do you? That's just cheating.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I think it's funny that the west during American expansion is known as being lawless despite the fact that during that time period, the most dangerous cities had a murder rate lower than Baltimore's.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Koumei wrote:If this had been the US, the riots wouldn't have lasted that long.
You don't know US riots very well, do you.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

tzor wrote:
Koumei wrote:If this had been the US, the riots wouldn't have lasted that long.
You don't know US riots very well, do you.
Fairly sure that was sarcasm on Koumei's part :)
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote: due to everyone owning heavy machine guns with underslung hellfire missiles.
Now that's unfounded exaggeration. The average citizen's arament pretty much tops out shotguns and 7.62 x 39 mm assault rifles like the AK-47 and SKS, plus homemade explosives. Even those who go above and beyond to prepare for fighting the law only use guns like This
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Here in the United States riots are short and to the point. We eliminate all the chaff from society, burn off some steam, and then the ammo industry booms again and everything goes back to the way it was before the crash by Tuesday. If the Brits did things like we do, they'd be halfway back to 2005 living standards by now.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

We eliminate all the chaff from society
congress still exists so no
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Regarding that whole 'death of the nuclear family' thing...

Since such a shift won't be universal across the U.S. (or the U.K., come to think, I think that their youth unemployment is even worse) do you think that such households will become status symbols in the near future? Sort of like how one-income households are miniature status symbols right now?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

It will go back to being a status symbol. The whole "stay-at-home mom" was originally a status symbol during the victorian era where men competed to see whose wives could do the most nothing. A low-class victorian mother strapped her baby on her back and worked in the mines with everyone else.
K
King

Post by K »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:It will go back to being a status symbol. The whole "stay-at-home mom" was originally a status symbol during the victorian era where men competed to see whose wives could do the most nothing. A low-class victorian mother strapped her baby on her back and worked in the mines with everyone else.
Considering the middle class is vanishing, I expect there will be the upper class with the stay at home mothers and the lower classes banding together into illegal communes for childcare.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I think the whole "middle class" thing was just a fad anwyay. If you look back in history, it's always been a small number of wealthy people living like parasites off the rest. I think we as humans are just going back to the way we naturally are.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

If you look back to prehistory, it seems likely that the amount of time humans spent in small communes vastly outweighs the amount of time spent under aristocracy.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Those small communes were designed to serve the needs of the one guy that could beat the asses of the rest of them, plus slightly less ass-kicking guys who promised to help the main guy kick asses in exchange for a bigger share of meat. Marxist communes don't exist prior to modern times.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Those small communes were designed to serve the needs of the one guy that could beat the asses of the rest of them, plus slightly less ass-kicking guys who promised to help the main guy kick asses in exchange for a bigger share of meat. Marxist communes don't exist prior to modern times.
Um, no. That's just straight-up false, and seems to be a projection of feudalism or possibly chimp dynamics. I've actually visited two contemporary hunter-gatherer cultures, and they seem mostly to be run by some variant of 'council of elders,' if they could be said to have been run at all.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

So a contemporary culture is a good judge for how people used to act in the stone age. Cool story, bro.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

There are a number of tribes that (almost certainly) haven't changed much in the last 10,000 years. Some tribes adapt to the modern worldview more than others--New Guinea natives seemed to have had the worst of it ("Road Belong Cargo" details much of it), the kind of 'insanity' they displayed over the course of generations in trying to figure out how the world worked would simply stun you (as one example, they would create a 'runway' in the jungle, crafting radio equipment out of grass, and appeal to the gods with the 'equipment' to bring them the material goods of the modern world...even natives brought to manufacturing plants in Australia still didn't 'get it'.)

In primitive tribes, old age (basically anything past 45) is the most important thing for respect and 'power', such as it is. Brute strength is worthless, it's all about the hunting skill, and it takes about 25 years of training before someone is truly an expert hunter (compare to the decade or so it takes to become an astrophysicist...). Everyone past a certain age (and this isn't going to be that many people) is the council, with a headman having some nominal power past that.
Last edited by Doom on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Um, yes? Hunter-gatherers isolate societies who still relied on stone tools until fifty years ago seems like a pretty good approximation of prehistoric stone age society. Not because I say so. Because professional anthropologists say so, and have said so to me in person on site.

Your statements are ignorant, and you should feel bad for arguing from ignorance.