Things I learned today...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:I learned that you can subscribe to toilet paper. Tell Amazon how much you want and how frequently you want it, and Charmin will send the best toilet paper in the world directly to your door. It saves $0.15 a roll. I signed up.

I also learned that my son knows how to navigate YouTube better than I do. I still have no clue how he does it.
We've been doing that with diapers, but that's because we get a compostable kind that you can't get in the stores. We basically would set a rate at how often they want to come, and we can manually intervene if we need an extra shipment or if we want to cancel one.

We've since stopped now that our daughter is toilet trained, but with our second on the way, we'll probably be starting again in October.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I knew you could do it with diapers (we used cloth, though, so never made use of the service), but tea and toilet paper were new.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

I get to the picker today (wool picker) at work and there's three orders set there to be run through. I run the first one through and then notice the second order is the exact same kind of wool. I look at the tag and it's an order for the same customer. The third order is by the same customer too, for the same color and type of wool.

I was like :confused: and I asked the boss why we have three separate orders for the same kind of wool for the same person, and apparently it's because the customer wanted the wool for each animal separately. Oh, it's one of those customers who want to separate the wool even though it's all the same type and we could run it all through at once and then divide it into however many parts later on and they'd never know the difference. It's tempting to do this because running separate orders is more of a pain in the ass than combining and then dividing later, but these farmers really really care Betsy's wool isn't contaminated by Jennny's and vice versa, and the boss is guaranteeing the stuff won't get mixed. Even though it's all the same kind of wool. And you can't tell the difference.

Farmers are crazy.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I was reading one of the posts on this forum, where it was mentioned there was an RPG focusing on the players being monsters; vampires, werewolves, inuit, etc. I commented out loud to myself at the surprise of that happening, and my mother overheard. She doesn't see how that could be offensive for just a game and feels it's indicative of people getting too PC by calling it racist. *facepalm*
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I learned that there is an arrow in the FedEx logo.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I never realized how carnivorous the online dating market is. There is so much bullshit out there preying upon people who are trying to find a match online. It's surreal and kind of scary.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:I never realized how carnivorous the online dating market is. There is so much bullshit out there preying upon people who are trying to find a match online. It's surreal and kind of scary.
So how'd you find this out?
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Maj wrote:I never realized how carnivorous the online dating market is. There is so much bullshit out there preying upon people who are trying to find a match online. It's surreal and kind of scary.
In what way?
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Yeah, seems like there's a story here.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I was doing research on senior dating sites, and trying to look up tips for determining which sites were safe/good. The hits are either dating sites or places with URLs like senior-dating-websites.no1reviews.com or senior-dating-site-review.com.

One place I ended up was datingsitebuilder.com, a company that helps anyone make a dating site, complete with pre-made profiles that you can modify.

If you remove the old people factor from the searches, you end up with a lot more articles on well-established websites (though you also end up with outdated articles, too), but you have to be savvy enough to know to do that first... Which a lot of older people aren't. And there are still tons of scammy websites out there.

I think it's even weirder because I can recognize the marketing techniques that site owners use to get their rankings high on Google, and so I can recognize the keywords and many of the tricks that generally abuse ignorance.

It's like you can see multiple layers... There's the obvious slice of older people wanting to find someone, then there are the people who want to attract their business, then there are the people who want to attract the business of those wanting to make money, and through the whole experience, you can see the gears and guts that make the system function.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That's the damn truth. I've run through Match.com, eHarmony, Plenty of fish, Adult Friendfinder, and Craigslist so far. I can't find a woman that wants anything to do with me. It makes me feel bad about myself.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

any woman with an online profile isn't worth the time or effort to date.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
That's the damn truth. I've run through Match.com, eHarmony, Plenty of fish, Adult Friendfinder, and Craigslist so far. I can't find a woman that wants anything to do with me. It makes me feel bad about myself.
I don't think any guy has actually found a fuck buddy on either of those two sites, you shouldn't feel bad because those sites don't work for anyone.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

The I basically never get responses when I message people on those sorts of sites, not even a "Fuck off". Usually I either get scams (CL) while arguments are the only thing that seems to get responses on OKCupid.

Honestly, no dating site I've spent money on has been worth it at all (I'm looking at you Geek2Geek).
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Juton wrote:
I don't think any guy has actually found a fuck buddy on either of those two sites, you shouldn't feel bad because those sites don't work for anyone.
Ah well, at least it's not personal then, lol. I can deal with that pretty easily.

Maybe I'll amend my previous decision to not date coworkers. Granted, last time I tried that it went poorly, but that last time it was my supervisor. Maybe if I just refrain from boning the boss it might work better.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Juton wrote:
I did off of AFF about a decade ago. Great girl. We still keep in touch. She's currently married to a diplomat and living in Austria, as far as I can tell.

The thing with online dating sites is you can't regard lack of response as rejection, as the person you approach might not have ever gotten the message; or just found someone else and abandoned the site entirely.

On the other hand, I've had women I've met tell me they've been out with other guys from online dating sites who they really didn't like, so I dunno what so tell you there.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I had some success with AFF when I tried it over a decade ago, too; I'm even still in contact with one woman (she's in Seattle now, no relation to gaming, amazingly enough), ridiculously intelligent person.

It definitely seemed to get worse around 2002, and became just an endless waste of time. Basically, your best bet is to buy 1 month, write a really nice intro letter, and cut-and-paste-spam every single female possible...and then take the 3 or so responses you get seriously, one or more of which will lead to a Nigerian scam.

Thing is, those sites give free memberships to females, and never, ever, close the account, so in many cases you're writing to a long dead e-mail address.
Last edited by Doom on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'll just chalk it up to me being a mutant and move on.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Petra is more than 2500 years old and built from sandstone.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Today I learned that the only thing more hilarious than a kitten is a kitten stoned out of its gourd on painkillers.
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Datawolf wrote:Today I learned that the only thing more hilarious than a kitten is a kitten stoned out of its gourd on painkillers.
...as long as it isn't bleeding all over your bedroom.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

If you hold a rabbit upside down by holding onto its tail then it dies.
Last edited by Cynic on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Cynic wrote:If you hold a rabbit upside down by holding onto its tail then it dies.
How? Is it like crucifixion, or something?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I don't know, really. I might have one of my friends demonstrate it to me.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

RobbyPants wrote:
Cynic wrote:If you hold a rabbit upside down by holding onto its tail then it dies.
How? Is it like crucifixion, or something?
I tried writing a response twice to this.
Icked myself out both times :(