Facebook "Games"

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Facebook "Games"

Post by Prak »

Who here plays any of the various games on Facebook? Vampire Wars is about the only thing I play with real regularity, since I've gotten bored with everything else. My only real irritations with it are the cliches (VAMPIRES VRS WEREWOLVES, GRR!!!) and that it's all about your Epeen, ie, number of fellow playing friends.

...so, really this is "doesn't it suck how these games we play are shittily designed, and who wants to help me manipulate that design shit?"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Castle Age, and to a lesser extent Mafia Wars and Vampire Wars.

Vampire Wars got stale there for a bit until they added more missions.

I can't even call them games, they're just websites with incentive to keep coming back.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I repurposed one of my facebook dummy accounts into a games account. It has dozens of friends, not one of which is a person I know in real life. Some of the games can be fairly entertaining, but are necessarily broken up by long wait times on the completion of actions/refreshing of action points and often stalled while waiting to hit the 20+ number of friends needed to progress.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

door games, like the upcoming Heroes of Neverwinted in closed beta on facebook now; are just time wasters with mostly clicking the mouse the most and spending more money, "wins" the game.

a better online game than the ones on facebook would be "quest for idle", but i forget where to find it.

the old text games such as Barren Realms Elite, Legend of the Red Dragon, Falcon's Eye, prior to AOHell and NWN.0 were MUCH better door games.

you still had limited energy per day that regenerates at a time, but you didnt have this "spend money to be better" micro-economics involved in them. also they had more depth than most website door games today.

Sims seems close to the original game, but there never was much to that to begin with, and some other games seem close to RTS games, but the energy-driven micro economics of them take away form them being anything like Warcraft, Age of Empires, etc.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

My brother has fun with Backyard Monsters. There's the usual method of bribing your way to victory, but the in-game currency can be acquired very slowly over time and most of its uses just let you do ordinary things faster. Just make sure you buy an extra worker ASAP.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I played Backyard Monsters awhile. The "get stomped by everyone else" period lasted way too long for me.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The only one I've played recently is Dragon Age: Legends. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where one combat has so many waves that it takes 20+ minutes to complete (compared to a minute or two at low levels). But on the bright side, it doesn't require a bunch of friends or "credits" or anything to play.
Last edited by hogarth on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Oh man, bring back BBS door games. "The Pit" was hilarious.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Joke's on you, I don't even have a Facebook account.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Other than Scrabble or Words with Friends I'll cycle through a bunch of shitty FB games for ~10 minutes a day. For my door game-like fix I play Kingdom of Loathing.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I used to play a lot of those games. I went through the process of removing most of them. The only game i play these days is Jeopardy.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I'm into CityVille
And FarmVille
And when I'm in the mood, Zynga's Texas Holdem Poker Game
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I play none of them. To play for free you have to harass your friends list and I've blocked all those games. I refuse to get involved.

I will go over to newgrounds and play flash games there that are far more entertaining and don't require me to spam my friends list endlessly.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

I played castle age for a while, til I realized I had about 500 friends on facebook I didn't know for the sole purpose of castle age bonuses, and the constant spam was pissing my real friends off, so I eventually just blocked the app and cleared my friends list.

I do sometimes play Tetris Attack, but I don't think that really counts.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The solution is to make a dummy account for it. I was actually rather surprised to see more people don't do this. I can just plug my dummy account into those rings of strangers who friend each other just to get game bonuses and watch while a million people add me. And now that account's wall is filled with the personal details of people I've never met. It's kind of surreal.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The problem with that, Cham, is when you're level 200 something and don't want to have to work back up.

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

A great deal of those games seem to nominally work with just one friend, so I usually just used my dummy account for that.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I've tried a few including a Pokemon clone and Farmville, but ultimately hid and blocked them all.[/list]
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Xpert Eleven is a really fun fantasy soccer manager game that can be played from or outside of facebook. It also doesn't spam up your feed with shit which is a major advantage.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

I strongly suggest that if you want to play FB games you create a dummy account that doesn't have your name, then add friends who want to get spammed with the crap the games generate. I did that and had a lot of fun with them, and my friends weren't forced to look down on me with pity that I was wasting all my time on cartoon castles and trains.
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

The DnD Adventures were pretty nice. A good set of small encounters and challenges to steal for your games. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"The only way to keep them in line is to bury them in a row..."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, I'm really liking Words with Friends, but that's just scrabble

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I was curious if anyone here has tried Heroes of Neverwinter yet, specifically in how closely it cleaves to 4e play. While a lot of classes/races/powers have been stripped from it, and things like healing surges have been removed, I got the impression that it does a decent job of emulating 4e skirmishes. This is not to say this is a laudable goal, and I got bored with it pretty quickly, but it was almost entertaining for 10 minutes.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:I was curious if anyone here has tried Heroes of Neverwinter yet, specifically in how closely it cleaves to 4e play. While a lot of classes/races/powers have been stripped from it, and things like healing surges have been removed, I got the impression that it does a decent job of emulating 4e skirmishes. This is not to say this is a laudable goal, and I got bored with it pretty quickly, but it was almost entertaining for 10 minutes.
I've played it and I agree with your assessment: it's moderately similar to 4E -- similar enough that it also becomes boring after about 10 minutes.
raben-aas
Apprentice

Post by raben-aas »

completely agree with hogarth. If I ever get into the situation where I have to explain someone what is wrong with 4E (again) I'll just invite them to Heroes of Neverwinter.

I'll say: Here, play this. Except you'll have to imagine playing it without animations, not having a selection wheel but a load of action cards and notes instead, and either using smurf figures for monsters or spending a LOT on maps, monsters and tokens.