Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Prak_Anima wrote:what's the easiest way, beyond multiclassing, to add Kn Arcane, Kn Nature, and Spellcraft to a paladin's skill list, sticking to published works only?
You can always get spellcraft from :
a)the paragnostic assembly - complete champion #72

and knowledge from :
a)
Education:
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feat ... on_%28E%29
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feat ... on_%28G%29
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feat ... =Education

Or with Knowlege Devotion

And I'm sure there was a feat that added a skill to your class skills too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'll just use the Learned feat from Quintessential Paladin, allows you to add three skills to your class list.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

There is also a feat called 'Versatile' from the Rokugan campaign setting that lets you add two skills as class skills. Also there is a feat called cosmopolitan which I believe lets you add any one skill as a class skill, and give a bonus.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, I'll check those out when I get home. They can be fallbacks. Right now I'm looking at the most complex build I've ever actually contemplated playing
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

What is the origin of the term "basketweaver"/"basketweaving" in the context of gimped characters FOR ROLEPLAYING REASONS!!!" in an RPG?

I am aware that I needed to add the italicised part or someone would mention the art of weaving baskets out of sticks.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Koumei wrote:What is the origin of the term "basketweaver"/"basketweaving" in the context of gimped characters FOR ROLEPLAYING REASONS!!!" in an RPG?

I am aware that I needed to add the italicised part or someone would mention the art of weaving baskets out of sticks.
I'm pretty sure it is a reference to utterly stupid degrees in the US. Specifically, the claims (which I'm pretty sure are false) than someone could major in "underwater basket-weaving".
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Neeeek wrote:
Koumei wrote:What is the origin of the term "basketweaver"/"basketweaving" in the context of gimped characters FOR ROLEPLAYING REASONS!!!" in an RPG?

I'm pretty sure it is a reference to utterly stupid degrees in the US. Specifically, the claims (which I'm pretty sure are false) than someone could major in "underwater basket-weaving".
Pretty much. Actually there's a wikipedia entry for it Here.

In case you were wondering, The National Review is a magazine founded by and for the Psychic Robots of the mid-fifties.

In any case, the use in a role playing context is based on characters taking useless skills for role playing reasons. "Basket weaving" instead of something that would help them solve mysteries or complete adventures. The tie-in to the myths about people pursuing useless degrees in school is obvious.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think it comes from the idea of someone saying something stupid like:

"You are a filthy powergamer, because you take good options instead of crappy ones."

And then the counter:

"But look, you aren't actually taking the worst options, so you are also powergaming unless you put all your skill points into Craft (Basket Weaving)"
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, that was interesting. And yeah, I know what it means in roleplaying games, just not what the origins were.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

What are good ways to reduce muscle soreness after working out? I already drink lots of water and stretch my muscles out before and after working out, and before and after sleeping.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the pain I feel after working out? It's just muscle fatigue, not actual damage. But it is putting a cramp in my style.

Note that working out less frequently or with less intensity isn't an answer. I'm determined to be below 260 before the end of the month.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:What are good ways to reduce muscle soreness after working out? I already drink lots of water and stretch my muscles out before and after working out, and before and after sleeping.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the pain I feel after working out? It's just muscle fatigue, not actual damage. But it is putting a cramp in my style.

Note that working out less frequently or with less intensity isn't an answer. I'm determined to be below 260 before the end of the month.
Magnesium supplements do a wonderful job of that, I've found. Just take one or two a day for best effect. If you would prefer to go the natural way, there are various foods rich in it listed here.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Try going for a long walk after working out, go to Wal-Mart and walk up and down every grocery aisle if the weather won't let you outside (bonus: you get to learn the layout of Wal-Mart in detail). It won't help much with the arms, but it'll at least keep you from getting too sore to walk.

I trust you're rotating muscle groups in your workouts.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Or you could run in slow motion through the aisles while playing Chariot of Fire.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

hot bath with epson salt.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, new question for the paladin. Anyone know of a published variant paladin that's the usual LG, but has more skill points? I'd like to find something, rather than ask for a variance, if I can.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK, seeing how i get to have 5 teeth CUT out of my mouth next week, i have two simple question:
1.) WHY THE FUCK DO TEETH GET NERVES THAT SERVE NO OTHER PURPOSE THAN TO HURT LIKE A BITCH?
2.) WHY THE HELL DO WE GET WISDOM TEETH AT ALL? Seeing how in about 90% of the cases i know they had to be removed to prevent future problems, those two seem like evolutionary mistakes on my end right now <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I've found it interesting that most of my family (all vegetarians) and many vegetarians in India don't need their wisdom teeth extracted. I actually have two supernumerary Wisdom teeth. I haven't had any extracted.

One cool thing about extracting wisdom teeth is that Japanese scientists have discovered that extracting stem cells from them.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Stahlseele wrote:1.) WHY THE FUCK DO TEETH GET NERVES THAT SERVE NO OTHER PURPOSE THAN TO HURT LIKE A BITCH?
To tell you there's a problem, but also to tell people around you that there's a problem. Back in the bad old days, someone with bad teeth was a serious drag on the community, so if anyone was clearly in pain with every bite, the rest knew not to waste a lot of resources on them.
Stahlseele wrote:2.) WHY THE HELL DO WE GET WISDOM TEETH AT ALL?
They're an evolutionary leftover, like the appendix. Earlier hominids had larger jaws that could hold more teeth.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Hey don't diss the appendix, it's a very important organ. :tongue:
Possible functions

Immune function

Some scientists have recently proposed that the appendix may harbor and protect bacteria that are beneficial in the function of the human colon.[9]

Loren G. Martin, a professor of physiology at Oklahoma State University, argues that the appendix has a function in fetuses and adults.[10] Endocrine cells have been found in the appendix of 11-week-old fetuses that contribute to "biological control (homeostatic) mechanisms." In adults, Martin argues that the appendix acts as a lymphatic organ. The appendix is experimentally verified as being rich in infection-fighting lymphoid cells, suggesting that it might play a role in the immune system. Zahid[11] suggests that it plays a role in both manufacturing hormones in fetal development as well as functioning to "train" the immune system, exposing the body to antigens so that it can produce antibodies. He notes that doctors in the last decade have stopped removing the appendix during other surgical procedures as a routine precaution, because it can be successfully transplanted into the urinary tract to rebuild a sphincter muscle and reconstruct a functional bladder.

Maintaining gut flora

Possible function of the human vermiform appendix as a "safe house" for beneficial bacteria in the recovery from diarrhea.Although it was long accepted that the immune tissue, called gut associated lymphoid tissue, surrounding the appendix and elsewhere in the gut carries out a number of important functions, explanations were lacking for the distinctive shape of the appendix and its apparent lack of importance as judged by an absence of side-effects following appendectomy.[12] William Parker, Randy Bollinger, and colleagues at Duke University proposed that the appendix serves as a haven for useful bacteria when illness flushes those bacteria from the rest of the intestines.[9][13] This proposal is based on a new understanding of how the immune system supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria,[14][15] in combination with many well-known features of the appendix, including its architecture, its location just below the normal one-way flow of food and germs in the large intestine, and its association with copious amounts of immune tissue. Such a function may be useful in a culture lacking modern sanitation and healthcare practice, where diarrhea may be prevalent.[13] Current epidemiological data[16] show that diarrhea is one of the leading causes of death in developing countries, indicating that as diarrhea flushes out the helpful bacteria the appendix helps recovery by providing a "safe house" for the bacteria.[13]
"Which way to the safe house?"
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I thought Wisdom Teeth were to replace teeth you're supposed to have lost by adulthood that we no longer have the decency to do?

I've had several teeth extracted in the past, and my wisdom teeth grew in without issues.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

1.) WHY THE FUCK DO TEETH GET NERVES THAT SERVE NO OTHER PURPOSE THAN TO HURT LIKE A BITCH?

Pressure, heat, etc. It's probably more lack of neural gating than actual amount of pain. You can probably reproduce that just about anywhere else just by pinching yourself hard enough, it just goes away much faster because nerves are FUCKING AWESOME.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Stahlseele wrote: 1.) WHY THE FUCK DO TEETH GET NERVES THAT SERVE NO OTHER PURPOSE THAN TO HURT LIKE A BITCH?
To instantly disprove Intelligent Design. Let's face it, with those things, the closest you could argue for is "Fucking Stupid Design".

Not a doctor, but I recommend any of the ____caine drugs for your teeth and gums (there is a teething gel for infants that will INSTANTLY render the whole thing completely numb - you could shoot yourself in the tooth with a .45 and not feel a thing*. The gel is over-the-counter at pharmacies, legal, non-addictive, non-expensive and not dangerous)

*I don't recommend this, but then again, I'm not a doctor. Frank can probably tell you whether shooting yourself in the teeth is a wise course of action or not.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:Frank can probably tell you whether shooting yourself in the teeth is a wise course of action or not.
It is not.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

FrankTrollman wrote:It is not.

-Username17
Pfft, you and your fancy book learnin. I'll ask Ant.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Does anyone have advice on how to pick out a good picture for online dating? I am trying to update my pic, and any advice on how to present myself in a positive light would be appreciated.