Fumble Idea

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Fumble Idea

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Took a look at the new LOTR RPG that just came out, and it has... issues, but it also has a take on fumbles I hadn't seen before.

The idea is that when you make an attack, you can choose to make a 'called shot,' which has a reduced chance of success but triggers your weapon special (disarm for sword, shield-break for axe, etc) if it does succeed. And if you fuck up on a called shot attempt, you get a fumble result. So fumbles are only possible if you are specifically trying a risky show-off move in the first place. That addresses certain statistical inevitability issues, and also lets the player choose whether or not they even want to interact with the fumble mechanic at all.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

NT.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

My idea for fumbles is that Roethlisberger could actually recover one of his. Not really new, but it would still be revolutionary.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm surprised you haven't seen it before. Because this is just a repackaging of an At-will a 4th Edition Fighter has, only it doesn't have penalties associate with it. Seriously, it's called Battle Master's Strike, you sheath and draw a weapon, you get different effects dependent on the type. Only no risk of dropping it, no stupid attack roll penalty.

YAWN. :sarcasticclap:

I know it's LotR and it's supposed to simultaneously grovel before and fatally donkey punch the DMF, but mechanics like these just serve to underscore how gameplay(edly) and intellectually bankrupt that worthless slurry slurper is.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Is this The One Ring? It is very...unusual from what I've read.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Lago, of course I have seen weapon-specific specials before. That was not the point. The point was the idea that crit fails were a thing you could opt into or out of to taste. I mean, that idea could apply to an entire skill system.
Psychic Robot wrote:Is this The One Ring?
Yes.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

What happens on a fumble result? Do you stab your buddy or yourself? If so, then fuck that.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I don't understand why people are focusing on the specifics of implementation in this particular game. I particularly don't understand why there is such a hatred of the possibility of 'own goaling' in a fight, when that possibility only exists if you choose to let it. In exchange for a potential benefit. That being the actual issue I'd like to discuss.

To answer the question, in TOR, fumbling means you are easier to hit until your next turn.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

4E Dark Sun sort of did this as well - on a nat 1, you could choose to reroll, but if you did then your weapon broke (for the normal crappy weaponry, metal weapons were just damaged). Actually a reasonable way of doing weapon breakage without screwing over fast-attacking types.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

that's not a bad compromise. personally I feel that fumbles are right for a certain kind of game. generally I hate them in D&D because my first game had a DM whose fumbles were LOL YOU HIT YOUR FRIEND and LMAO YOUR BOW BREAKS and HAHAHA FUCK YOU YOU LOSE THE REST OF YOUR ITERATIVE ATTACKS AND HIT YOURSELF
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Psychic Robot wrote:that's not a bad compromise. personally I feel that fumbles are right for a certain kind of game. generally I hate them in D&D because my first game had a DM whose fumbles were LOL YOU HIT YOUR FRIEND and LMAO YOUR BOW BREAKS and HAHAHA FUCK YOU YOU LOSE THE REST OF YOUR ITERATIVE ATTACKS AND HIT YOURSELF
I had a DM like that. The DM dropped her fumble rules pretty quickly when she had one monster that managed to deal more damage to itself than the whole party combined via fumbling like 4 back to back attacks.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Ice9 wrote:4E Dark Sun sort of did this as well - on a nat 1, you could choose to reroll, but if you did then your weapon broke.
I kind of like that actually. Nat 1 is either a miss or a "reroll and something unfortunate" helps to balance out fumbles with regards to multi-attacking types, since those characters are likely to get more rolls and have a single miss be less meaningful than characters who went for large single attacks. It's still picking on non-casters in systems like pre-4e D&D where the casters don't make attack rolls because the targets make save rolls instead, but in something like 4e where everything is an attack roll or a reduced effect auto-hit, it's a reasonable way to allow for rare and especially unlucky events to happen in a TTRPG.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Also the bit where "your weapon breaks" for non-weapon-users means:

Monk types either have
A. No effect, hahaha! (they're still useless!)
or B. They break their limb

Casters either have
A. No effect, hahaha!
or B. The spell breaks, presumably causing Psyker Syndrome where, if a non-caster fucks up, they are personally inconvenienced and laughed at, but if a caster fucks up, everybody dies.

As for the "You can choose to just not interact with the fumble rules, or take a gamble" bit, that can work. Well, as long as the fumble is something that affects only you (generally in the form of falling prone, provoking or dropping your weapon) as opposed to hitting your allies. It gives choice, lets people avoid fumbling forever if they hate it, but lets people gamble against an unlucky roll.

My only experience *in D&D* with fumbles were from a White Wolf fanboy who passed botching off as a core 3.0 rule. Still, it wasn't as bad as it could have been: as opposed to "You hand all of your items over to your target, give them a soothing back massage, shout out your PIN and SSN, tear your own legs off and kill your auntie with them" of WW, it was just "Rolling a 1 to hit provokes an AoO. You still have all your other attacks if the AoO doesn't drop you."

Note that this was 3.0, also known as Tower Shield Edition. So we wandered around with Full Cover, thus never provoking for anything, which shat the DM right up the wall.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:To answer the question, in TOR, fumbling means you are easier to hit until your next turn.
In that case, the consequence sounds relatively harmless so I'd probably turn on "extra effect mode" whenever possible.

My criticism about fumbles is that it's hard to find a result that's not ridiculously stupid (e.g. you stab yourself in the face) or boring (e.g. your sword takes one point of damage).
Last edited by hogarth on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Koumei wrote:Casters either have
A. No effect, hahaha!
or B. The spell breaks, presumably causing Psyker Syndrome where, if a non-caster fucks up, they are personally inconvenienced and laughed at, but if a caster fucks up, everybody dies.
C. Their implement breaks.

It's not unreasonable that you cast spells with a magic wand or something.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Monk types either have
A. No effect, hahaha! (they're still useless!)
or B. They break their limb
the DM I had did this. not with a monk but the ranger's blink dog broke a tooth. not that the blink dog was any good in combat anyway but it's the principle of the thing.
Casters either have
A. No effect, hahaha!
yep, this happened. it was only an orb of force but our party was low point buy and overall unoptimized, so hitting him for 10d6 damage wasn't exactly great news.
Ant wrote:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That sounds very fucking stupid.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

Ice9 wrote:4E Dark Sun sort of did this as well - on a nat 1, you could choose to reroll, but if you did then your weapon broke (for the normal crappy weaponry, metal weapons were just damaged). Actually a reasonable way of doing weapon breakage without screwing over fast-attacking types.
Can you still reroll if you have an unbreakable weapon? What happens then?
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

ModelCitizen wrote:Can you still reroll if you have an unbreakable weapon? What happens then?
The 3rd way to destroy a major artifact.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

ModelCitizen wrote:Can you still reroll if you have an unbreakable weapon? What happens then?
No idea, I don't think that was ever addressed. IIRC, metal weapons (rare in Dark Sun) had an advantage here - they were only damaged instead of broken (I think they could be damaged two or three times before becoming unusable), and could be repaired. So I think giving indestructable weapons the reroll for free would be a reasonable perk, it's not like there are very many of them anyway. Also IIRC, magic weapons can be repaired pretty cheaply, it's not like you have to get a whole new one.

Re: Monks, Wizards, etc - pretty much everyone in 4E has either weapons or implements. If adapting this for another system, I'd give them some kind of temporary penalty instead (fatigue or nonlethal damage for martial types, random status condition for casters, or maybe waste a spell slot).
Last edited by Ice9 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:05 am, edited 6 times in total.