The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

That's not in game graphics up there.
That's a Promotional Picture done by the Artist using the Handle Flyingdebris.

Also: yes, many people are afraid of bigger changes/cancelations . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Very interesting. Thank you for the heads up.

If the promo art isn't reflective of the art aesthetic of the game I'm rather worried about the professional effort/state of the game.

I know a lot of shit is artist rendering for promo stuff, but even then your art *should* be a reflection of the artistic intent of the game. The footage we saw a few years back was a different art style than the promo.

Meh. I'm splitting hairs I guess. But if we can't gather much from the promo release about the game, it's a cock tease and not much more. We'll see.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah.
Hopefully the subtitle won't be ONLINE or anything like that.
And hopefully the Release-Date will in the first half of this decade <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Online wouldn't be bad. Fighting other players would be great.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, but online only would suck ass . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Stahlseele wrote:Yeah.
Hopefully the subtitle won't be ONLINE or anything like that.
And hopefully the Release-Date will in the first half of this decade <.<
Heh. You called it. Subtitle ONLINE.

So. What's the over/under that it'll be subscription or microtransaction based?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/meet- ... -mech-sim/
Fucking Free To Play MMO like World of Tanks Bullshit it seems -.-
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Stahlseele wrote:http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/meet- ... -mech-sim/
Fucking Free To Play MMO like World of Tanks Bullshit it seems -.-
I can't wait to see how they monetize this. Should be epic levels of failure.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I'm just stopping by to give Stahlseele props/condolences in calling the subtitle to the new Mechwarrior game.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Thank you . .

right now it looks kinda like a World of Tanks Clone with Mechs . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Stahlseele wrote:Thank you . .

right now it looks kinda like a World of Tanks Clone with Mechs . .
Nothing wrong with that if its not P2W. If it is its just a distraction between good multiplayer games.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Well, World of Tanks is pretty much pay to win. Every third new pay tank is just better than every other tank in the same class. Plus, the tanks are fantastically expensive. $20 for a new tank? Fuck that sideways.

Anyway I never really did get the appeal of Mechwarrior. It was a slow, awkward first-person shooter that was all about minmaxed alphastrike sniping. Now it is going to be a slow, awkward pay-to-win class-based first-person shooter made by the lowest bidder. Why in the world would I want to play that?
Last edited by A Man In Black on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

A Man In Black wrote:Well, World of Tanks is pretty much pay to win. Every third new pay tank is just better than every other tank in the same class. Plus, the tanks are fantastically expensive. $20 for a new tank? Fuck that sideways.
That's sad bullshit. Every pay tank so far has been inferior to a regular (ie free) tank, except in the money you can make with it. The Lowe is weaker than the King Tiger, the Type 59 is about the same as the T-44 and much weaker than the Panther II or M-26. The real difference is that you earn twice as much or more in pay tanks, that really speeds up grinding.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Don't forget Premium Ammo though.
That shit blasts through armor as if it were paper.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

No one uses that in regular matches though, and if you are fighting in a clan war fight the clan should be covering your expenses.
Last edited by Juton on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kot
Journeyman

Post by Kot »

That pic looks like a Borderlands style ripoff to me... And besides, I'm wondering about the story a lot. Got a little into Battletech, because certain people keep bombing me with info on it. And they're as much annoyed by CGL as I am about Shadowrun. :P
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"The only way to keep them in line is to bury them in a row..."
raben-aas
Apprentice

Post by raben-aas »

May I suggest you/we open a new thread for Mechwarrior stuff? As interesting as all of this is, it's hardly about "The Shadowrun situation".

Thx!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Probably for the better.
And we are spamming the video game thread too . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Back on the SR video game. There's some video here.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Blade wrote:Back on the SR video game. There's some video here.
They're making in-browser Fallout. Huh.

And unless my German completely fails me (and it isn't very good so it might), they're saying that the Matrix and deckers currently aren't planned, and magic is currently planned to be limited to combat magic or something? I dunno, limited German plus game jargon equals fgsfds.

I'm gonna let Stahlsteele get it from here, since he actually speaks German and plays Shadowrun.
Last edited by A Man In Black on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And Jagged Alliance too.
And the devs, so far, are pretty nice.
And, if you can afford it, you can bribe them . .
for just 10k € i could have gotten Hamburg as a playable location and me as Lofwyr . .

Yeah, Matrix, right now, won't be in. Because of the "Guys, the Decker wants to try something, go get Pizza in the mean time" problem.
Same for Magic. And riggers, right now, are only drone riggers, because vehicles won't fit into the game as it is.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

From what I got, there will be hacking (and even technomancers) but it won't be a minigame.
I guess it'll be closer to "click the hack button, click the camera/drone/door you want to hack, see the result".
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

it will be pretty much like combat.
your software are your weapons, the hardware of the system you want to hack is it's armament.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Stahlseele wrote:And Jagged Alliance too.
And the devs, so far, are pretty nice.
And, if you can afford it, you can bribe them . .
for just 10k € i could have gotten Hamburg as a playable location and me as Lofwyr . .

Yeah, Matrix, right now, won't be in. Because of the "Guys, the Decker wants to try something, go get Pizza in the mean time" problem.
Same for Magic. And riggers, right now, are only drone riggers, because vehicles won't fit into the game as it is.
Considering that they did matrix shit back in the Sega Genesis days, I'm unimpressed. Yeah, that was single player, but still... Couldn't we have advanced a little in the last 20 years of game design?

SR4 probably has the best solution to hackers conceptually with wifi hacking and AR & shit, but yeah... bad game design if it's just going to be clicking the hack button and clicking the target camera or turret or whatever.