Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Except that Rogues are nerfed, because in a petty attempt to spite this board they went and removed almost every means of actually rendering enemies vulnerable to sneak attacks. They then nerfed skills even further to kick them while they were down.
you're an idiot
Fighters doing more damage than Rogues is both nothing new, and was more true in 3.5, where they weren't nerfed either.
ignoring power attack leaping shocktrooper combat brute nonsense I'm pretty sure that a TWF rogue can theoretically outdamage a fighter. feel free to prove me wrong though.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

ModelCitizen wrote:Wasn't it Frank specifically, not TGD? Anyway yeah that was fucking stupid.
It was someone from here. It might have been him.
PoliteNewb wrote:D&D is a fucking game. Sometimes you lose games. D&D is better than most, in that losing is a.) not necessarily going to happen and b.) not permanent. But the possibility of loss is there. It should be there. In the opinion of many (myself included), it's part of what makes the game fun.

If your attitude is "I spent my valuable time to come here, so I better be able to play every minute, regardless of what I do or what my dice rolls are"...fuck that, and fuck you.
Maxus wrote:Shadzar is comedy gold, and makes us optimistic for the future of RPGs. Because, see, going into the future takes us further away from AD&D Second Edition and people like Shadzar.
FatR wrote:If you cannot accept than in any game a noob inherently has less worth than an experienced player, go to your special olympics.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

if I recall correctly frank & k both posted on the paizo forums but were driven off and didn't return. jason bulmahn has no interest in "spiting them"; he (probably) thought that doing precision damage with a splash weapon was full retard (because it is) and changed the rules accordingly.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

hogarth wrote:In other news, Pathfinder beat D&D in the ICv2 poll again. Of course, that says more about the state of D&D (poor) than the state of Pathfinder.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/21403.html
Whoa, why in the hell is Dragon Age RPG in 4th place?? Although I've heard little of the game in 3rd place on here, not sure how that game holds up (think Koumei played/ran a game of Dark Heresy?)

angelfromanotherpin wrote: That's Ranger from 8-bit theater. Full name: Generic Half-Elven Dual-Class Ranger. His other 'half' is half-Human half-Half-orc. His other class is also Ranger. This allows him to dual-wield his dual-wield so he can quad-wield. Bows. And he has some kind of improved rapid/multi shot deal where each bow fires three arrows at a time. It's very silly and also a lot of arrows.
That's pretty awesome actually, I could enjoy playing a character who's firing 12 something arrows a round, hell yeah. Sounds like a nice character practical enough character concept around mid levels or so. Perhaps "even" in Pathfinder land, since I believe Frank mentioned they made a bunch of ranged feats?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

Psychic Robot wrote:if I recall correctly frank & k both posted on the paizo forums but were driven off and didn't return. jason bulmahn has no interest in "spiting them"; he (probably) thought that doing precision damage with a splash weapon was full retard (because it is) and changed the rules accordingly.
I'm not saying blink and acid flasks were nerfed out of some personal grudge, but as far as I can tell the only reason the devs cared or even knew about them was Frank's Same Game Test thread. They "fixed" a niche build they'd just found out about that no one claimed was a problem, and then didn't work on the real problems that force rogues into weird niche builds to be good. I would have no problem with nerfing blink or not reprinting Pounce abilities if they also fixed feint and the full attack action and surprise rounds.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I agree, but my beef was that he claimed that paizo is out to spite frank & k/TGD. the last thing we need around here is more egotistical tinfoil hattery.
Ant wrote:
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Aryxbez wrote:That's pretty awesome actually, I could enjoy playing a character who's firing 12 something arrows a round, hell yeah. Sounds like a nice character practical enough character concept around mid levels or so. Perhaps "even" in Pathfinder land, since I believe Frank mentioned they made a bunch of ranged feats?
Frank noticed and commented on it here when I brought up an archer I made for a campaign as an example of a non-caster being capable of keeping up at the double-digit levels (back when all there was the PF core book). It still had flaws against wallmancers and grapplers, but he was capable of doing rogue damage (or more, depending) quite readily and had enough of an AC that it could be missed.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

yeah the ranged power attack feat is pretty nice
Ant wrote:
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The real power came from Multishot and Rapid Shot being allowed to stack. Combined with a seeking ghost touch bow, and having Strength get higher priority over Dexterity, it worked well. I was the only person I personally knew that ever made their archer have Strength equal to or slightly greater than Dexterity, most letting it fallow at 10 or something.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Psychic Robot wrote:ignoring power attack leaping shocktrooper combat brute nonsense I'm pretty sure that a TWF rogue can theoretically outdamage a fighter. feel free to prove me wrong though.
No, it can't, in Pathfinder, unless you open up 3.5 splat access or lower the target AC/add a shit-ton of free to-hit buffs. Even then, it's close. The fighter's boring +1s to-hit/damage don't look like much, but as long as to-hit/AC are on the RNG for the middle attacks, they're about as good as sneak attack.

What can I say, I like boring math.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Shadow Balls wrote:Except that Rogues are nerfed, because in a petty attempt to spite this board they went and removed almost every means of actually rendering enemies vulnerable to sneak attacks. They then nerfed skills even further to kick them while they were down.

Fighters doing more damage than Rogues is both nothing new, and was more true in 3.5, where they weren't nerfed either.
But that's wrong, you fucking retard.

On the first point, never attribute to malice what can easily be attributed to stupidity. On the second, what PR said: high-end Fighters (Dungeoncrashers, Dragoons and/or Frenzied Berserkers) with the Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper/Combat Brute chain could pump out silly damage by double digits, but a Flasked Avenger can keep up until the entire feat chain comes online (I think).

Man In Black: Can we count Ninjas as Rogues? Because a Ninja with Ki points in the chamber has shades of the old Boot Blade Bullshit style of 3.X Rogue in him.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Mask_De_H wrote:Man In Black: Can we count Ninjas as Rogues? Because a Ninja with Ki points in the chamber has shades of the old Boot Blade Bullshit style of 3.X Rogue in him.
Well, I wasn't, because I did the math before Ninjas.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

No, it can't, in Pathfinder, unless you open up 3.5 splat access or lower the target AC/add a shit-ton of free to-hit buffs. Even then, it's close. The fighter's boring +1s to-hit/damage don't look like much, but as long as to-hit/AC are on the RNG for the middle attacks, they're about as good as sneak attack.

What can I say, I like boring math.
I meant in 3.5
Ant wrote:
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Psychic Robot wrote:I agree, but my beef was that he claimed that paizo is out to spite frank & k/TGD. the last thing we need around here is more egotistical tinfoil hattery.
Nice job being autistic (lol see what I did there).

In case you have missed the subtle social cues, K isn't exactly someone that I get along with on any level. Frank I haven't gotten along that much better with, and the Den itself has too many faux elitists for me to have any loyalty to it as a group.

So take that egotistical tinfoil hat and shove it up your ass.
Mask_De_H wrote:On the first point, never attribute to malice what can easily be attributed to stupidity. On the second, what PR said: high-end Fighters (Dungeoncrashers, Dragoons and/or Frenzied Berserkers) with the Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper/Combat Brute chain could pump out silly damage by double digits, but a Flasked Avenger can keep up until the entire feat chain comes online (I think).
No, Rogues are still behind damage wise. Perhaps not by a large margin, but they are. Then PF comes along and nerfs both of them.
PoliteNewb wrote:D&D is a fucking game. Sometimes you lose games. D&D is better than most, in that losing is a.) not necessarily going to happen and b.) not permanent. But the possibility of loss is there. It should be there. In the opinion of many (myself included), it's part of what makes the game fun.

If your attitude is "I spent my valuable time to come here, so I better be able to play every minute, regardless of what I do or what my dice rolls are"...fuck that, and fuck you.
Maxus wrote:Shadzar is comedy gold, and makes us optimistic for the future of RPGs. Because, see, going into the future takes us further away from AD&D Second Edition and people like Shadzar.
FatR wrote:If you cannot accept than in any game a noob inherently has less worth than an experienced player, go to your special olympics.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Everyone stop talking about Rogues, the only thing that matters in PF is the fucking Ninja. It does literally everything the Rogue does (except trap sense, which is worthless and gets replaced by an equally worthless ability), it just does it all better and then adds some surprisingly awesome flavor abilities. That being able to walk over anything power is fucking cool and something powerful thieves should be able to do.

Way to go and release one cool ability, Paizo. Next thing you know you might, I don't know, do that more than once and with higher level abilities. After that the ninja just stops getting cool shit, you idiots.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Monkeys. Typewriters. Shakespeare.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Alternatively, we can keep talking about Rogues because we are comparing 3e to Pathfinder, and the 3e Ninja is a waste of everyone's fucking time, so please stop throwing a shit fit every single time someone say Rogue.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Except nobody in Pathfinder who wants to be a rogue plays a rogue, because there is a class that is the same exact thing except better. You're better off comparing the 3e rogue to the Pathfinder ninja, because everyone and their mom knows the Pathfinder rogue is a bad joke.

You know, except the poor folks who take the trap class that is the rogue after the ninja was released. There is literally no reason for the Rogue class to exist when the ninja is the same fucking thing but better (again, except for trapfinding, which is laughably bad).

It can not be stressed enough that the only 3 differences between the Rogue and Ninja in PF is that the Ninja gets a ki pool for free and gets some stupid "I hide my trails really well" power compared to a "find traps really well" power. The ninja also gets to pick talents off a larger list that includes literally every rogue talent (and will rarely do that because rogue talents suck compared to the ninja ones).

Are the pathfinder devs retarded for not just saying they released a rogue fix instead of an alternate class? Yes (this is the reason people still play rogues, the word ninja carries way too much baggage that rogue players don't want). Is the pathfinder rogue relevant to anything at all now because a class that does the same thing, but better, replaced it? No.

It's like if 3.5 had a "Fighter 2" class that was the fighter (literally the same damn thing) but better in every conceivable way. You wouldn't talk about the original fighter class anymore because it's outdated.

I guess you can say the ninja added the complexity of "you have a ki pool," but even ignoring the ki pool you are better than the rogue by virtue of having more, and better, choices. Also better proficencies, and even a higher starting gold for some reason.

So no, you shouldn't talk about rogues because Paizo managed to correct their mistake, albeit in a hilariously stupid way that sort of fucks it up. I told a rogue player to pick ninja before and he flat refused, even though the ninja is better in every fucking circumstance imaginable (he's actually better in a hallway full of traps because he can freak-walk over the floor without setting off pressure traps).

tl;dr: Rogues don't exist anymore, everyone who wants to be a rogue is a ninja because they are better rogues than rogues even if you don't put in any extra effort.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stop being an idiot and learn to read.

The reason we are talking about Rogues is because!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOLLY SHIT THERE IS A GAME THAT IS NOT PATHFINDER THAT WE ARE COMPARING TO!

We are talking about the 3e Rogue. Stop throwing a shit fit when people say Rogue, because they are talking about the 3e Rogue, because we are comparing to 3e.

The guy asked the fucking question "why is the rogue considered a good benchmark of usefulness/'balance' by The Den's 3.X, while Pathfinder fan says it's underpowered?"

Which obviously fucking means we are talking about the 3.x Rogue.

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

When people say Rogue, they are talking about 3e, so you can stop whining about how their mouth should be around Ninja cock, because they are fucking talking about 3e.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

On Trapfinding:

It's not a superstar ability, in fact if you are concerned with just your character's survival your character will probably be longer lived if they don't have trapfinding than if they do. As long as someone in the party does, or you can find and deal with traps in some other way, as long as you won't get assigned to trap bitch duty. But someone in the party does need to deal with traps, and I think it's kind of bullshit that that job is limited to Rogues only (at least in core), it forces a Rogue into a job they might not want, and if another character wants to pick up the slack the only they can do that is dipping a level in Rogue. Trapfinding should go away and never comeback.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

You're comparing the pathfinder rogue to the 3.5 rogue.

The entire conversation has been about how PF nerfed rogues. As a few examples: AMIB and Maxius were both talking about the PF rogue.

But wait, guess what, while they nerfed rogues they released a goddamn replacement class (granted they did this later and in an incredibly stupid way, but that's how they do it around there).

There is a comparison of the 3.5 fighter and rogue going on here, and then some people saying the PF rogue can't keep up with a PF fighter (but guess what, the ninja surpasses the fighter by an ass ton).

My goal is to get people to shut the fuck up about the PF rogue because it is not worth talking about as it has been replaced. Make fun of Paizo for doing that replacement in a poor way, or for not even noticing they did such a thing (they probably didn't), but shut the fuck up about the PF rogue.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF A THREAD THAT ISN'T ABOUT 2E, SHADZAR 3.5, KAELIK.

To contribute: The PF fighter is a fucking joke compared to the PF ninja in every single way. Ninja rapes the face off of anything vulnerable to invisbility + sneak attack and actually has some utility; the fighter is less effective in every single way. Fighters can't compare with the katana + wakizashi ninja at all. 4d6 + 2d8 + strx2.5 is overwhelmingly strong at second level.

Is there any reason for ninjas to pump dex beyond what you need for twf? I mean, you don't really need finesse since the katana is ballin (unless you want dual wakizashis) and you want strength anyways to do more damage. You get mirror image as a swift action, so who gives a fuck about AC?

Juton, fortunately the rogue replacement removes trap-finding, meaning your MC doesn't feel bad for never throwing traps at you with a rogue in the party! It's an elegant, and again unintended, fix.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey dumbfuck! Why is the rogue considered a good benchmark of usefulness/'balance' by The Den's 3.X, while Pathfinder fan says it's underpowered?

Please answer without talking about 3.X Rogues, even though that's what I fucking asked in the question.

Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Do I need to add in "PF" when I say rogue in a damn PF thread? What bothered me was the people talking about the PF rogue (who should not exist). The 3.5 rogue talk was fine, but folks such as Maxius and AMIB talked about the PF rogue.

I was not directing rage at the 3.5 people, but at the PF people because the PF rogue is ass and even Paizo is ashamed of it and they aren't ashamed of VoP.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Not everyone plays with the new paizo material though. To even be aware of the ninja being better than the rogue, requires someone telling you, or reading through the books that even the pf fans seem to hate because they are so shitty. Not to mention that I know plenty of people who read a class name like ninja and then skip reading it because they don't like playing ninja's.
So discussing and learning about why the pf rogue sucks can still be helpful.

- Edit: Especially if you have a DM who doesn't know the system as well, who you'd have to convince that the pf rogue actually sucks. I know that one of my Dm's nerfed the 3.5 core rogue so hard it basically became unplayable, so any argument showing why the pathfinder rogue sucks is helpful. Seeing as the pf rogue is still better than the 3.5 one after the nerf :(
Last edited by ishy on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

I find it interesting that not so Pseudo Stupidity is going on about how everyone plays Ninjas now, because they replaced Rogues when he was one of the main ones bitching at me about a similar principle in a different context. Either the whole everyone is a caster thing, or everyone uses item x because they'd be stupid not to. It might have been both.

Now it's fair to say that class B is class A's unofficial bugfix. But you have to be consistent. You don't get to bitch at someone for making an argument, and then make the same damn argument about a different thing.