5E Announced (For real this time)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

K wrote:Since Monte Cook is the design team lead, I really wonder just how much 4e is going to get in. I mean, he doesn't have any 4e work under his belt.
I'm counting that as a good thing. Most of 4e's actually implementation and in many cases design goals was devoid of anything you'd want to replicate.
Kobajagrande wrote:And add to all THAT that is going to last for at least a year. AND THEN, you will have EACH of these groups split further, into those who support the 5E, and those who oppose 5E.

Yes, it will be a bloodbath of epic proportions. The Apocalypse, Ragnarok, the Final Confrontation is ahead of us.
I do find myself wandering if 5e is doom to fail even if is a good game (not holding my breath) because of how much the fan base has been split.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

@Kobajagrande

I know.

*sniff*

Is fucking beautiful man.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Previn wrote:
K wrote:Since Monte Cook is the design team lead, I really wonder just how much 4e is going to get in. I mean, he doesn't have any 4e work under his belt.
I'm counting that as a good thing. Most of 4e's actually implementation and in many cases design goals was devoid of anything you'd want to replicate.
Kobajagrande wrote:And add to all THAT that is going to last for at least a year. AND THEN, you will have EACH of these groups split further, into those who support the 5E, and those who oppose 5E.

Yes, it will be a bloodbath of epic proportions. The Apocalypse, Ragnarok, the Final Confrontation is ahead of us.
I do find myself wandering if 5e is doom to fail even if is a good game (not holding my breath) because of how much the fan base has been split.

I dunno. A lot of people I game with are sick and tired of playing 3.x, but continue to because 4th sucks and they know how to play 3.x. All of that group tried, hard, to play 4th, and just wasn't happy with it.

If 5th is a genuine improvement over, say, 3.x, it'll get played. Probably by quite a few people like myself who are fucking burned out on 3.x.
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

hogarth wrote:Can you name a single publishing company in the Known Universe that works like you're describing?
Our company more or less does this, although tzor has the designations backwards. The designer creates the top-level specification, and the developer uses that to build the specific product implementation.

Also, what Frank said is correct. User feedback is critically important, but exceedingly bad at actually identifying problems.

echo
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

TheFlatline wrote:
Greg Tito wrote:For the first time, the creators of D&D are setting out to create a role playing system that is compatible with - and takes inspiration from - every previous edition of the game.
Ah yes, because this works so well for Battletech.
I don't quite follow. The rules changes glacially between rule-books, my rule book from '92 has seriously 90% the same basic rules as my rule book from '07. If you are talking about the Battletech RPG, it's a clusterfuck that isn't really compatible with anything else, and that's true for every version.
Last edited by Juton on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Juton wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
Greg Tito wrote:For the first time, the creators of D&D are setting out to create a role playing system that is compatible with - and takes inspiration from - every previous edition of the game.
Ah yes, because this works so well for Battletech.
I don't quite follow. The rules changes glacially between rule-books, my rule book from '92 has seriously 90% the same basic rules as my rule book from '07. If you are talking about the Battletech RPG, it's a clusterfuck that isn't really compatible with anything else, and that's true for every version.
The idea that every "edition" is compatible is part of what kills Battletech as a tabletop game. It's literally a 30 year old game with a small amount of polish. So it never improves. It *feels* like a 30 year old game. Couple that with other issues and you have a dying game line.

But in reality making an edition of D&D compatible with every other edition of D&D is asking for a horrible, horrible game. Probably the truth is somewhere along a marketing line of "pulls from every edition of D&D yet!"
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I wonder when the backhanded insults of previous editions will begin...

I am looking forward to see the marketing strategy employed this time around, especially as the release date draws closer. I'll certainly be more critical after getting suckered by the 4e release.

I'm also curious to see how much follow-through there will be on any 'innovative' new rules. Placing Mearls in charge does not raise my hopes that a new, complete edition of the game will be released sometime next year.

Is it cynical to expect the Wizards team to repeat the failures of the last release?
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Nope, not cynical. Eminently reasonable, considering that the same people are in charge.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Shocking news. :bored:
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I sense sincerity in the preceding post.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Yes. Very sincere. :bored:

Also, just wanted to ask: Is there any truth to the rumor than Monte and Sue Cook have seperated or divorced? Because I'm not overly fond of the idea that 5th Ed's Design Lead is gonna be working on it through a fit of depression. That's how you get crazy stuff like Evangelion :bored:
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Kobajagrande wrote:I knew the storms where brewing for the most epic clash of rpg nerds ever.

I mean, look. There are the AD&D fans. And they are hardcore. Like, Old Testament hardcore. I mean, their game hates them, AND THEY LOVE IT! You can't go more hardcore than that.

Then there are the 3E fans. They are the Warhammer Orcs. They are the fucking Green Tide! There's so many of them they'll seem like an endless ocean of hate. And their hate is still hot. And there are so many different groups among them that all have one thing in common: they hate each other more than they hate the others.

You have the "fighters should be fighting with lollypops" crowd. You have the "fighters should be farting thunder and lightning and killing multidimensional creatures by shooting their multidimensional-piercing-so-powerful-like-magic-yet-not-magic bullet sperm at them". Then you have the "no dices should be rolled at all" group. The "dices should be rolled for all" sect. The "Pathfinder rules" caste, the "3E is the one true way" caste, the "Tomes uber alles" caste, and god knows how many more splinter groups. Animosity tests will be failed! Chaos overwhelming!

Then you have the 4E crowd, which still keep their last shreds of self-dignity by deluding themselves that their game is good. And they will fight to the bitter end for their right to keep deluding themselves.

And you have the OD&D crowd. They are like fucking Elder Gods. They were there before the beginnings of time. No one knows what they're saying, but they keep saying it, and damn if anyone is going to stop them from doing so.

And add to that the few, the bold, the unbreakable, the fans of other rpgs, completely unrelated to D&D, who will make partisan and pirate raids into the fray. WoD, nWoD, GURPS, Rolemaster, Warhammer... You fucking name it.

And add to all THAT that is going to last for at least a year. AND THEN, you will have EACH of these groups split further, into those who support the 5E, and those who oppose 5E.

So, in Warhammer analogy, AD&D is the Imperium of Man, 3E is the Orcs, OD&D is Chaos Cults, and 4th Edition is the Tau.
Last edited by Libertad on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

I usually end up liking new editions, in my rpgs I am ok with change even if it seems a little pointless.

However, if they go back to boring ass pointless rocket launcher tag, and a skill system that creates huge desparities in results of even low level characters I will probably not even play it.

Boss monsters should NEVER Be able to be one shot, infact they need to last long enough for them to do their defining attack pattern AND for every party member to do their their shitck.

For all the bitching that 4E was to video game like there are good lessions to take from videogames, particullarly mmos. Every combat should be compelling.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

I wonder if the designers will at all be influenced by the release of Legend. The hoopla the game has raised does not seem to have reached far beyond the GitP forums, but the writers have still raised more than $10000 in donations. For a lowkey homebrew system, that's honestly pretty impressive. And Legend's corebook, in isolation, is significantly more interesting and compelling than the whole of 4E's canon.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

souran wrote:Boss monsters should NEVER Be able to be one shot, infact they need to last long enough for them to do their defining attack pattern AND for every party member to do their their shitck.

Every combat should be compelling.
These are very opposite things.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Lokathor wrote:
souran wrote:Boss monsters should NEVER Be able to be one shot, infact they need to last long enough for them to do their defining attack pattern AND for every party member to do their their shitck.

Every combat should be compelling.
These are very opposite things.
I would say that is the very definition of compelling. You cannot and should not be able to avoid facing a big baddies cool thing.

Defeating a tough baddie should require everybody to show off for a bit.

there shouldn't be any combats where a single action by a single player results in victory.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Also, just wanted to ask: Is there any truth to the rumor than Monte and Sue Cook have seperated or divorced? Because I'm not overly fond of the idea that 5th Ed's Design Lead is gonna be working on it through a fit of depression. That's how you get crazy stuff like Evangelion
Replace "fit of depression" with "hatred towards women" and "Evangelion" with "F.A.T.A.L."

D&D 5.E. Because FATAL also has five letters.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I seriously can't imagine 5th edition to be anything like F.A.T.A.L at all.

I'm hopeful because well basically I just refuse to believe people haven't learned from the failures of 4e. At least that is what I'm telling myself since the other part of my brain fears the worst.

I'm really looking forward to the playtesting though. It'll show me if the game is worth following and hey even if it sucks, it will probably still provide entertainment.
If only for hilarious rants about how much they fucked up.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I figure that the most important thing for the new edition isn't really the rules but just how you sell them. 4e launched with a pretty terrible campaign that poo poo'd over 3e whose only result could be to split the fanbase.

Look at Pathfinder and their 'Open Playtest'. What it accomplished wasn't making the rules any tighter, it was to make the fans feel that paizo was doing something big and amazing, and by participating they were buying into a piece of a better D&D.

The trend of previous editions though, is the newer one is based on the tail end of the older one. You can see 4e in 3e's tomes, you can see 3e in Skills & Powers, and so on.

All of 4e could go in, it just needs to be printed in a book with parchment like backgrounds and formats in paragraphs where mechanics and flavor text are intermixed. All mentions of squares must also be changed to feet and so on.

It's important for 4e to be viewed as a failure though, it's part of the marketing. 4e players will initially be pushed away, but if they see the rules are similar enough they'll play it anyways. Or WotC just continues making some dough with DDI subs.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

OgreBattle wrote: I figure that the most important thing for the new edition isn't really the rules but just how you sell them. 4e launched with a pretty terrible campaign that poo poo'd over 3e whose only result could be to split the fanbase.

Look at Pathfinder and their 'Open Playtest'. What it accomplished wasn't making the rules any tighter, it was to make the fans feel that paizo was doing something big and amazing, and by participating they were buying into a piece of a better D&D.

The trend of previous editions though, is the newer one is based on the tail end of the older one. You can see 4e in 3e's tomes, you can see 3e in Skills & Powers, and so on.
Actually I agree with this, the new rules need to not do what 4E did and act like the previous edition was a rotten terrible mess.

3.X D&D was super fucked by the time 4E came out. The last ditch effort to show what a "more balanced" version of 3.x D&D would look like (book of nine swords) did exactly what 4E did, it pissed off half the people and the other half thought it was freaking mandatory to make characters who didn't suck who used weapons. 3.X had been around long enough that people were super pissed about its flaws. There were people who complained about the magic system, metamagic, the need for healbots or wands of cure light wounds, save progressions, and save or sucks in general. People were ANGRY about these things, the WOTC message boards were NOT filled with people saying "make small changes please" they were filled with people saying "if you don't cut every wizards balls off there will never be a reason to NOT play a wizard"

Wizards thought that the mood of MOST people was real anger. However, then as now the mood of most people is FRUSTRATION. Thats very different. The angry people are vocal, the frustrated people just want the bullshit removed.
All of 4e could go in, it just needs to be printed in a book with parchment like backgrounds and formats in paragraphs where mechanics and flavor text are intermixed. All mentions of squares must also be changed to feet and so on.
The mechanics and flavor text need to be seperated for clarity. However, the magic card format was a turn off to people. The ability should be a little closer to spells where the flavor text leads the game text. However it should be clear where flavor text ends and game text begins because that was the problem with 3.X magic was that people argued the flavor text was mechanical. Thats a pathway to madness.

I would suggest that the mechanics be printed in BOLD much like how 3.x attack mechanics were. Anything that is to be rules lawyer fodder should stand out of the page. Similarly keywords should remain, printed in bold italics at the end of the entry or in the ( ) defining what type of ability something is.

Every ability should say how many squares AND how many feet the ability covers. I would suggest something like "range 60 ft. (12)." Further, the gmae should assume that when played in abstract all distances are hard limits and when played with mini's/squares that all distances are soft (i.e. the default mode for the mini based game should be if an ability would be in any part of a space it effects that space this effectively would give you results like 4E "squared circles." The DMG can then give examples of playing with hard distances on a square grid. Seriously the 4E "diagnles are 1 space is so much easier/faster for minis play that its sad it took over a decade from the release of combat and tactics for somebody to figure out how to make minis play nice.
It's important for 4e to be viewed as a failure though, it's part of the marketing. 4e players will initially be pushed away, but if they see the rules are similar enough they'll play it anyways. Or WotC just continues making some dough with DDI subs.
Actually this is the exact WRONG thing to do. This is what was done with 3E and it was a disaster. 4E shouldn't be viewed as a failure, it cannot be viewed as a failure. That is what was done to 3.X and its what caused the edition war. 4E is still selling, 4E has a fanbase larger than any rpg except 3.X D&D. Seriously, more people have played 4E than have played pathfinder. 4E would be considered a huge sucess if 3E were not a COLLOSSAL sucess. 3E dominated the market to a point were companies with their own systems like the L5R guys decided to print materials in a 2 system format. 3.x was so popular that people were willing to by terrible books from tiny third party imprints that contained assloads of clearly broken stuff.

People wanted 3.X materials so bad that people were able to make money printing things like "the book of erotic fantasy" Thats REALLY messed up. You almost couldn't saturate the market for 3.X materials. You could print a book on renasiance banking and as long as it had 30 new feats, 30 new spells, and 5 new prestige classes you could make money.

So pissing on that legacy was NOT a good idea on the part of Wizards. 4E should have come out not saying "Boy, doesn't 3E suck, doesn't this stuff piss you off?" (even though it did) and 5E should not come out and say "Holy Shit was 4E a waste of time! Don't you hate this and that and the other thing?" It should be like the 2E to 3E tranistion where they said "2E was great, but we noticed things that were not working, so we fixed those, and took insperation from previous editions, and really tried to get at the heart of D&D." Which is what they said while they wrote what was in reality a game that was completly different and interely incompatible with 2E.

Also, the one thing that people are not really talking about is the OGL. the 3.X one was a masterstroke. However it was so good that Hasbro will never let it happen again. To many books were printed for a game from which WOTC/Hasbro never saw a dime. You will never get corporate executives to agree to something that open again. Without it, you won't get the 3rd parties you need to make the game feel huge like 3e did. The moment for that has passed and I really don't think you will ever see an era of gaming where stuff for one system was published by so many different entities.[/b]
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

OgreBattle wrote: I figure that the most important thing for the new edition isn't really the rules but just how you sell them. 4e launched with a pretty terrible campaign that poo poo'd over 3e whose only result could be to split the fanbase.
Funny, I had just the opposite experience. I thought their marketing was pretty good (with D&D Encounters, etc.), but the actual game was weak.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

@hogarth

The marketing itself was great, the message on said marketing...wasn't.

Two different things.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Holy shit, I'm amazed.

I expected a shitload of "3.5e best TTRPG EVAR" posts after the annoucement, which would respark the edition wars.

The weird thing is that not even on the Paizo forum exist the critical mass of bitter nerds to make that happen. Most people are optimistic. Or maybe just tired of the Edition War.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Gx1080 wrote:The weird thing is that not even on the Paizo forum exist the critical mass of bitter nerds to make that happen. Most people are optimistic. Or maybe just tired of the Edition War.
I've certainly seen plenty of mean-spirited "good riddance to 4E" messages on the Paizo boards -- enough to keep the moderators busy deleting them, at any rate.
K
King

Post by K »

Marketing is a distraction. The real issue is that 4e was not a good enough game to supplant 3.x in the same way that 3.x was better than 2e and 2e was better than 1e.

4e was, at best, a nearly equal rival to 3.x. That's the core issue and why Paizo could make a whole business out of making a 3.x clone. They produced a slick and tarted up version of nearly equal or better game that was no longer being produced and stole away customers who are going to choose one or the other and not both.

I mean, even the Penny Arcade guys got bored with 4e and went Pathfinder.

The real killer of a question that people should be asking is whether 5e is going to be better than 3.x. Pathfinder is making money hand over fist and they have inertia right now and there isn't a marketing strategy that can meaningfully change that.

In general, marketing comes in two varieties: sufficient and insufficient. After that, the product must stand on its own merits regardless of what line of bullshit the marketing department is trying to sell you (there is a reason that marketing departments tend to get fired to a man all the time... they can't actually deliver sales for a weak product even when they can take credit for selling a strong product).

I mean, I know I'm not going to pick up 5e unless it either fixes the issue where 4e is boring as fuck or the issues where 3e is overly complicated and thus easy to break accidentally and that classes are unbalanced.