The Apple thread - Why do people buy Apple products?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Kaelik wrote:a) we've all held 10 lbs before, in our hands. Thanks.

b) laptop bags and briefcases have better handles than plastic bags. So alternatively, we could hold a ten pound laptop bag in our hands to try it out.
a) Holding 10 pounds in your hands and walking around with it through airports all day are two entirely different things.

b) I mentioned a vanity travel case, not just shopping bags (I have fabric shopping bags anyway). It didn't suck less even given a travel-friendly handle.

b2) You have to have a 10 pound laptop bag in order to try it out. I don't know the luggage of every person reading this thread, so I went with something that I thought more people had experience with.

For some people, having their computer weigh less is actually a feature. For others, having their computer not be an Apple product is a feature. I don't really like Apple, but I don't really care whether others do or not.
Last edited by Maj on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... /global/en

Sorry, it's not clear. It seemed at the time you'd get away with a slip case for your laptop, but not another bag.

Not clear why carrying a notebook + business cards and pen is outdated. Most people don't like you to be typing when you talk to them. My old and my current firm trained not to do so.

^ Maj: Even my current briefcase sucks a bit if you carry it around a lot, and that has quite a nice handle.
Last edited by cthulhu on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Maj wrote:a) Holding 10 pounds in your hands and walking around with it through airports all day are two entirely different things.

For some people, having their computer weigh less is actually a feature. For others, having their computer not be an Apple product is a feature. I don't really like Apple, but I don't really care whether others do or not.
For me, not spending money for no reason is a feature, but yes, my point was that whatever we have that weighs ten pounds, we could just carry in our hands. Or since it was a thought experiment on your end anyway, we could imagine carrying.

EDIT: CHthulu

Your price example is probably because you can't read, and you live in a shithole. The Dell Vostro runs about 700 real people dollars, and has equal or better everything than a Airbook, and if you really didn't care about how good it was, you could scale down to lower than Airbook specs for 500. Meanwhile, the Airbook costs 1600. And that's a 3 pound Airbook vs a 4 pound laptop.

For 900, you could get an Asus with better everything, including battery life, and it only weighs 3.7 pounds.

If you are willing to scale up to 6 whole fucking pounds of death, the mightiest weight that any person has ever been able to carry for more than twelve seconds, you can get the price down to 500.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't have any real criticisms about apple products (because I've never owned one and it wouldn't be fair to criticize something I've never tried), but apple fans are as annoying as balls and I can't imagine having enough money to blow $800 on anything. I think I paid almost that much for my car...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

"blah blah blah my mac ain't working, and it is your fault and you have to fix it or i will cancel my contract with your ISP corp."
*No, the problem is your mac.*
"noo, that's impossible! it's a mac! a mac is better! a mac does not have such problems! only windumb has such problems! i demand to talk to your superior because clearly you have no idea how to do your job propperly!"

90% of the mac lusers i had the displeasure of hving to do tech support for . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Kaelik wrote:Or since it was a thought experiment on your end anyway, we could imagine carrying.
It wasn't a thought experiment on my end.

More than one person in this thread expressed their disbelief at how difficult someone might find carrying around 10 pounds on a handle. I've actually done it a few times. It really sucks. The person who mentioned the problem regularly does it, and it still sucks for them. And since I doubt that anyone on the Den has hands much stronger and enduring than that, my conclusion was that some people's imaginations failed them - the "thought experiment" didn't work. So I picked something I thought most people would have access to and suggested they actually try it.

It's called empathy.
Stahlseele wrote:"blah blah blah my mac ain't working, and it is your fault and you have to fix it or i will cancel my contract with your ISP corp."
*No, the problem is your mac.*
"noo, that's impossible! it's a mac! a mac is better! a mac does not have such problems! only windumb has such problems! i demand to talk to your superior because clearly you have no idea how to do your job propperly!"

90% of the mac lusers i had the displeasure of hving to do tech support for . .
From my husband...
Ess wrote:We got to the point with some of the regular mac users at the college that we developed a script:

1) Is it plugged in.
2) Is it turned on.
3) Can you see the screen?

Because they'd come to IT complaining that they couldn't check their eMail, when really the computer wouldn't even start up.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Maj wrote:More than one person in this thread expressed their disbelief at how difficult someone might find carrying around 10 pounds on a handle. I've actually done it a few times. It really sucks. The person who mentioned the problem regularly does it, and it still sucks for them. And since I doubt that anyone on the Den has hands much stronger and enduring than that, my conclusion was that some people's imaginations failed them - the "thought experiment" didn't work. So I picked something I thought most people would have access to and suggested they actually try it.

It's called empathy.
a) That's not actually called empathy.

b) So you were actually asking people to put wet soggy meat into their laptop bags and ruin them, because:

c) You thought it was more likely that people just could not comprehend what it's like to own a laptop, even though everyone owns a laptop, than that any human being is capable of carrying 10 pounds in their hands for an hour without being a whiny bitch about it.

Okay, get back to mean when you've spent 8 hours a day laying bricks of various sizes for 5 days a week. Then carry around a ten pound bag and see if it's the most torturous thing you've ever done. Believe it or not, some people actually just do in fact carry around weights on a regular basis that make them not susceptible to whining about 10 pounds.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

RobbyPants wrote:
RiotGearEpsilon wrote:The PC occasionally shuts down with no warning or error message - literally going from on to off in the span of half a second, usually in the middle of a game.
How big of a power supply do you have in it? I ran into the exact same problem when I built my current computer and tried to skimp with a 400W power supply when I should have gotten a 600W. It'd run fine almost all the time, but every now and then, when I was running a game, it'd lose power.

If that's the case, you can likely fix the problem for $70 or less.
I have an 850W power supply; I intentionally bought an extra large one. I guess maybe the power supply is just plain fucked up?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

RiotGearEpsilon wrote: I have an 850W power supply; I intentionally bought an extra large one. I guess maybe the power supply is just plain fucked up?
That's possible. I don't know for sure that's the case, but when I hear "completely loses power at random", my first thought is "power supply".

Although, it's possible it's some other hardware, something overheating, or possibly even a virus.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

well, does it lose poweR? or does it shutdown :)

Those are not necessarily the same thing. If your PC randomly shuts off.. I worry about cpu damage or overheating, before I worry about Power supply.

But power supplies are cheap
easiest piece to test.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

The timeline goes like this. For between 0.1 and 0.2 seconds, the sound goes. Then the monitor shuts off, and all the lights on the box turn off.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah, I'd worry about CPU overheating, given that issue. It's really easy to mess up the thermal compound on do it yourself CPUs. And if you do it only a little wrong, then it works, until it overheats.

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

On an older computer the fan on my GPU was broken, so it overheated very easily. I didn't notice it at first since the computer worked fine, but whenever I started NWN the screen went black. Reset the computer, starts up alright, works... restart NWN and black screen again - I thought I had a crashing bug there, until I tried out another game, and realized it was the card.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Holy shit this thread grew fast AND hilarious.

My favorite part is people complaining about the 10 pound laptop, when the 6 pound laptop was still a better deal than the airbook. I mean, I walk to work every day carrying my laptop and managed to not have my arm fall off even though I'm also carrying lunch (HOLY SHIT THAT'S WAY OVER 10 POUNDS). I don't even use a laptop bag, I just haul that motherfucker over by tucking it into my arm. I know, I'm the strongest man in the world.

There are people who are bothered by the weight of a laptop? I'm more bothered by the fact that I'm carrying a decent-sized rectangle. The same reason I think pretty much any tablet is retarded (not actually easier to carry than a netbook, has half the computing power). Then again, fuck netbooks too for being too small to type on. Laptops are fine for everything and are pretty damn portable. I fly with my laptop as well, and there is no airplane magic that makes it stop working or grow large enough to stop fitting in my carryon (which is just a backpack) because I know how to travel light. You know where my reporter pads go? Front pocket. I am clearly a wizard to be able to fit a few days worth of clothing along with a laptop, some pens, reporter pads, and hygienic stuff into a backpack.

The Airbook would make my traveling slightly lighter, but that's it. Again, I used to not skip gym in high school so I'm probably the most jacked human being in existence and thus not bothered by 3 extra pounds.

There's a reason nobody in the universe, except stupid rich college kids, owns a fucking Airbook.

Edit: If anyone uses the word "ultraportable" they are automatically full of shit. Every time I see it I throw up a little bit. The only thing that's "ultraportable" is paper, because you can fold that shit up and fit it into any space, even crane-shaped ones. Even in that context it is a stupid fucking buzz word.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

When I bought my first laptop, I drew the line at 3 pounds. I did not want to have anything heavier. The second laptop was closer to 2 than 3 pounds. Thinkpads, in both cases. Now I use an android tablet.

Lighter = better for what I use it, which is mobile surfing, reading, and watching videos. The heavier a device is, the bigger the chance I'll not have it with me when I could use it.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote: My favorite part is people complaining about the 10 pound laptop, when the 6 pound laptop was still a better deal than the airbook. I mean, I walk to work every day carrying my laptop and managed to not have my arm fall off even though I'm also carrying lunch (HOLY SHIT THAT'S WAY OVER 10 POUNDS). I don't even use a laptop bag, I just haul that motherfucker over by tucking it into my arm. I know, I'm the strongest man in the world.
This is so retarded. The point of an ultraportable is if you're carrying it around while travelling A LOT. If you brown paper bag your lunch, I can confidently guess you're not travelling much because otherwise you'd expense it.

Also, do you seriously wear a backpack with a suit? What?
Last edited by cthulhu on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

cthulhu wrote:Also, do you seriously wear a backpack with a suit? What?
If I absolutely had to wear a suit, why wouldn't I? I can take it off when I get where I'm going.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
cthulhu wrote:Also, do you seriously wear a backpack with a suit? What?
If I absolutely had to wear a suit, why wouldn't I? I can take it off when I get where I'm going.
Doesn't the backpack wreck your suit jacket? Or do you carry your jacket in your hand until you get to the client then carry the backpack in your hand while wearing the suit? (Suits are 100% mandatory at my job)

There is also a big period between 'coming into contact with the client' and 'getting where you are going' so you're planning on carring your backpack in your hand for half an hour while you get signed in an introduced to people and the like?
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

cthulhu wrote:Doesn't the backpack wreck your suit jacket? Or do you carry your jacket in your hand until you get to the client then carry the backpack in your hand while wearing the suit? (Suits are 100% mandatory at my job)

There is also a big period between 'coming into contact with the client' and 'getting where you are going' so you're planning on carring your backpack in your hand for half an hour while you get signed in an introduced to people and the like?
I will admit that I don't wear a suit very often (If I recall, the last time was when there was a team project at college and the other guy was really really insistent about what amounted to that he would feel awkward if we weren't dressed up or something), but I don't see why a backpack would damage a suit, unless the suit was, like, made of lace or something.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
cthulhu wrote:Doesn't the backpack wreck your suit jacket? Or do you carry your jacket in your hand until you get to the client then carry the backpack in your hand while wearing the suit? (Suits are 100% mandatory at my job)

I will admit that I don't wear a suit very often (If I recall, the last time was when there was a team project at college and the other guy was really really insistent about what amounted to that he would feel awkward if we weren't dressed up or something), but I don't see why a backpack would damage a suit, unless the suit was, like, made of lace or something.
Err, it doesn't tear it, it just rumples and creases the suit at the back and shoulders. It makes you look fairly unprofessional if you show up at the client wearing a rumpled/creased suit.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

cthulhu wrote:If you brown paper bag your lunch, I can confidently guess you're not travelling much because otherwise you'd expense it.
You may live in an alternate dimension where you don't have to pay for things, but is it that weird that some people who travel a lot may not have other people paying for literally everything? Sometimes, in private practice, it isn't worth your time to blow money and then expense it, because that comes directly out of your profits.

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Kaelik wrote:
cthulhu wrote:If you brown paper bag your lunch, I can confidently guess you're not travelling much because otherwise you'd expense it.
You may live in an alternate dimension where you don't have to pay for things, but is it that weird that some people who travel a lot may not have other people paying for literally everything? Sometimes, in private practice, it isn't worth your time to blow money and then expense it, because that comes directly out of your profits.
It's not a matter of paying. After your second day on the road, it's impractical to brown paper bag your lunch from home. I get to keep whatever I don't spend from my per diem, so I buy a cheap lunch.
Last edited by cthulhu on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

cthulhu wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:

Err, it doesn't tear it, it just rumples and creases the suit at the back and shoulders. It makes you look fairly unprofessional if you show up at the client wearing a rumpled/creased suit.
Yeah, people worrying more about looks than functionality is what has made crapple so fucking successfull in the first place . . People want me to carry my working gear, i'll use my backpack, where i can fit a shuttle AND my laptop in. People want me to Wear a nice suit, i'll try to weasle out of it. People want me to do both, they had better have an intern carry my stuff or shut up about my looks, if i am doing a good job for them or, even worse, their job for them . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

A shirt and tie works fine for me (I'd really love to get rid of the tie), though I wonder why you'd wear a suit on a plane in the first place. The plane IS where you're complaining about all this laptop carrying, right? Can't you just change when you get off?

I brown-paper bag (actually, I plastic shopping bag) my lunch when I'm working in the office. Your assumption was unsurprisingly wrong. It's like me saying you're lying about working in any technology related field because you're defending apple. I brown paper bag the majority of my work days because I am not traveling the majority of my work days. A predictable argument would be "then you don't need an ultraportable! You only travel a few times a month!" and the predictable response is "that doesn't magically make the times I travel easier than yours, you presumptuous cock."

You honestly sound like a sales guy (assuming my company's sales section is a good example of all sales people). "I can just expense everything forever, I'm going to get shit I really don't need. Now let me call a cab because fuck buses/subways." You're the reason expense policies are so needlessly wordy about what is considered reasonable (you apparently bought an airbook, which should result in them charging you for an airbook and laughing when you complain). Some people don't like to take advantage of the company they work for. Buying an airbook is slapping them in the face with a wad of burning $100 bills while screaming "THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF YOUR MONEY!" before consuming the ashes and taking a crap on all the desks.

Stop using that fucking stupid word. The Airbook is hardly more portable than a normal laptop. It is three pounds more portable then what you call a heavy midsized (I'm not going back to see what you called it verbatim), and hardly much smaller. You're seriously arguing that a 3 pound medium-sized rectangle is ULTRAPORTABLE when compared to a 6 pound medium-sized rectangle. Ultraportable should mean it can fit almost anywhere (hence paper) and still retain its functionality when removed from its hiding place (crumpled paper). Three pounds less isn't some magic jump to buzzword land.

Web 2.0 on my ultraportable is how I leverage social networking to improve SEO!
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Bingo!
Oh, wait, we weren't playing Buzzword Bingo right? <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: