The Apple thread - Why do people buy Apple products?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:I'm also carrying lunch (HOLY SHIT THAT'S WAY OVER 10 POUNDS). ... I'm the strongest man in the world.
I'm amused by the notion of the strongest man in the world eating a 10 pound lunch. It would be like a Tex Avery cartoon, where the cat debones a fish in their mouth.

Fuck Apple. I've never given them a goddamned dime. I could say it's because of their shitty practices like forcing anyone who uses iBook Author for a commercial product into an exclusive distribution deal with Apple, or price inflation, but it's really due to how annoying the fanboys are.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

The only product of Apple's that I like is their USB Power Adapter. Mind you I got mine for free when my sister got her replacement iphone.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:A shirt and tie works fine for me (I'd really love to get rid of the tie), though I wonder why you'd wear a suit on a plane in the first place. The plane IS where you're complaining about all this laptop carrying, right? Can't you just change when you get off?

Change where? The taxi? Is that really a serious suggestion? You only get to go to the hotel first sometimes and you don't have any guartee of them letting you check in early. Changing in a bathroom at the client site reeks of unprofessionalism. I guess you could change in bathroom at the airport on arrival but those are usually a festering hellhole.

But it's irrelevant as two suits don't fit in my carry on bag and I don't get paid for travel time so fuck bringing checked luggage (and if I'm going to cart checked bags around town that is even more annoying). Also, man + dog wears a fucking suit on the plane.

I brown-paper bag (actually, I plastic shopping bag) my lunch when I'm working in the office. Your assumption was unsurprisingly wrong.
It's all relative I guess: I am defining 'a lot' as 'a minimum of 60 flights and 100 nights on the road in 6 months' - if it's less than 80 nights and 40ish flights, you don't travel 'much' For reference peak for me was 120 flights in 6 months. I am currently basking in travelling less than twice a month though I wouldn't mind commuting again.
You're the reason expense policies are so needlessly wordy about what is considered reasonable (you apparently bought an airbook, which should result in them charging you for an airbook and laughing when you complain).
Why do people keep thinking I own an airbook (My only ultraportable was by IBM. I have used Apple's one)? I'm just saying that some people work jobs where 'easy to carry' and 'gets through transport faster into this, and if they can get a lightweight laptop, they will do so. There is a 7 KG limit on carry ons.

Seriously, pack all your shit (minimum two suits, casual clothes as I don't like eating room service, your gym clothes (and I presume a second set of shoes, though you might get double duty out of your sneakers as casual clothes), your laptop, bathroom crap and everything else and keep it under 7KG.

I'm guessing they haven't worked jobs like this. I'm not even the guy I know who flys the most! I don't this any more because it's annoying and now I'm using a midsized dell for work which is shit because dell is shit.

P.S your sales guys are muppets. If you're trying to get to the airport in sydney during peak out, its typically faster to catch the train than catch a taxi. If it's not peak hour, cab is much faster.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

When I lived in Sydney, I'd catch a plane ~monthly to Melbourne to stay for a weekend (Fri-Mon) or sometimes a whole week (Fri-week-Mon). I used carry-on:

Backpack, containing clothes. And as a woman that means a hundred dresses and a million pairs of shoes herpaderp derp. But seriously. Enough clothes for the trip. Because I left from work, I was wearing my suit on the plane (not a big deal). Also packed: a dicebag, a couple of roleplaying books. And also, my laptop (normal laptop at whatever weight - to be fair, I always mis-judge weights. "Woah, this load of pamphlets is kind of heavy, that must be like 4kg?" "No, that's at least 10kg." "Huh.") in its case.

They never had a problem. Possibly that all weighed under 7kg, combined, or possibly they just never weigh the stuff and actually care, because it's "a laptop in a laptop case" (fits under the seat in front) and "a small-ish backpack" (fits in overhead).

But seriously, I can't see this being an issue unless your arms are currently recovering from surgery or breakage or something.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.