An experiment in self-publishing.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

An experiment in self-publishing.

Post by K »

So, I wrote a book over the summer and just put it up on Amazon (for Kindle).

It's called "The Dead City Gambit". It's a basic fantasy, and you can read it on your computer by getting the free "Kindle for PC" program if you don't have a Kindle.

I priced it at $2.99 because Amazon gives a lot less favorable terms when you price lower, but it's also available in worldwide distribution in the various versions of Amazon.

It's my first novel, so I expect some negative reviews, but I figured some Denners might be curious enough to give it a shot.

Wish me luck!
Last edited by K on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dead-City-Gam ... 648&sr=1-1

===================
This links to the PC reader installer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000426311
K
King

Post by K »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dead-City-Gam ... 648&sr=1-1

===================
This links to the PC reader installer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000426311
Yup.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Bought it. I feel a tiny bit paranoid about this new software, but I definitely have access to the file. How easy would it be to transfer this onto another computer? I'd like to read this on the BART train tomorrow.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

A couple of pages in. Actiony start gets my attention, but I wince a bit at the descriptions of the Sorcerer using his Sorcerous Sorcery. Could use a few synonyms.
K
King

Post by K »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Bought it. I feel a tiny bit paranoid about this new software, but I definitely have access to the file. How easy would it be to transfer this onto another computer? I'd like to read this on the BART train tomorrow.
Mmmm, I don't know. I will totally look into that.

I did overuse the word "sorcery," but I was trying really hard to not use "magic" at all. Describing new and interesting ways to say "fire" was also a challenge.

Still, feedback is good. Thanks.
Last edited by K on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I bought it, but I am not sure when I'll get aorund to read it.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Good luck with it, K.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

I bought it. If it fails me, I'll make fun of you on the internet, as is the way of the Den.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It appears to be free for me since I have Amazon Prime -- how do you personally get money when I go about reading it? Because that's my new weekend plan.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

In that instant, he saw that the thing's wide blade was white like one of the Dead City vases with edges so thing they were almost transparent.

K, Keith (2012-01-29). The Dead City Gambit (Kindle Locations 1033-1034). . Kindle Edition.
Lots of errors like this as I make my way further into the book. Probably a spell-check gone awry. I imagine a professional editor is pricy, but you could probably recruit a free proofreader or two, and the book would benefit from it.

But it's fairly entertaining so far. Found a few ideas I'm likely to repurpose next time I start working on an RPG scenario.
K
King

Post by K »

Surgo wrote:It appears to be free for me since I have Amazon Prime -- how do you personally get money when I go about reading it? Because that's my new weekend plan.
There is this weird thing where every copy that gets lent or gotten on Amazon Prime gets me a proportional share of a $600K pot (at least for the next 90 days).

Since my book is competing against bestsellers and every other self-publisher, I don't expect much. That's what makes this an experiment.
K
King

Post by K »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
In that instant, he saw that the thing's wide blade was white like one of the Dead City vases with edges so thing they were almost transparent.

K, Keith (2012-01-29). The Dead City Gambit (Kindle Locations 1033-1034). . Kindle Edition.
Lots of errors like this as I make my way further into the book. Probably a spell-check gone awry. I imagine a professional editor is pricy, but you could probably recruit a free proofreader or two, and the book would benefit from it.

But it's fairly entertaining so far. Found a few ideas I'm likely to repurpose next time I start working on an RPG scenario.
I take the blame for those kinds of mistakes.

I lost a thumb drive with the entire draft at the local community college where I take a couple of classes, so I cut short the editing process because I was afraid that someone would steal my entire novel.

I'm trying to figure out how to reload a corrected draft, and if that draft gets to people who have already bought it.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

My experience with the complete works of Brandon Sanderson on the Nook would indicate that copy-editing on E-books is just completely shot. Each book seems to have distinct systemic errors, like italicizing entire paragraphs containing thoughts, or inserting a space before the '-er' in comparatives.

So that's probably where a number of such issues come from, beyond editing issues.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
K
King

Post by K »

Ok, so there is a method to re-upload the HTML file. If anyone wants to note any errors, I'll make corrections.

Anyone recommend a free and good HTML editor? Otherwise, I'll be doing it in Word.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Is there an e-self-publishing NOOK option, or is this just a Kindle thing?

Game On,
fbmf
K
King

Post by K »

fbmf wrote:Is there an e-self-publishing NOOK option, or is this just a Kindle thing?

Game On,
fbmf
There is, but I can't use it for 90 days. Part of the deal where I get some extremely tiny bit of the $600K for this month for lent copies and Amazon Prime free copies is that I agree to not publish anywhere else during the 90 days.

I'm going to read over the deal at Barnes and Noble and see if they are any better.

I feel kind of sad that I'm actually using what I learned in Contracts and Copyright Law to figure out the little ways these guys nibble down royalties.

Amazon and BnN are currently in a junkyard fight where they are being dicks to each other, so time will tell which is the better option.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

TANSTAAFL. You get dramatically lowered barriers to entry instead.

It is super-duper easy to transfer purchases between kindle devices, by the way.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

fectin wrote:TANSTAAFL. You get dramatically lowered barriers to entry instead.
I don't think that's fair. Their lunch is probably quite bountiful and complete. To follow a proverb about lunch with one about dessert; part of the wonder of technology is that at some point you should be able to have your cake and eat it too.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Disappointing to hear that you wouldn't see much of the "read it free" deal. How about I just read it free and then wire you three bucks.
K
King

Post by K »

Surgo wrote:Disappointing to hear that you wouldn't see much of the "read it free" deal. How about I just read it free and then wire you three bucks.
Don't worry about the three bucks.

Read it. If you like it, post a review or give me some feedback on fixing the typos.

Having someone use the Amazon Prime feature will give me a data point. I mean, if I see $0.10 from that one read, then I'll know how roughly big the pool is (6 million lends in that example) and I'll be able to make an informed choice.
K
King

Post by K »

Oh, and thanks to everyone who purchased it. It's been mighty strange to have something up and selling.
Last edited by K on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

K wrote:
fbmf wrote:Is there an e-self-publishing NOOK option, or is this just a Kindle thing?

Game On,
fbmf
There is, but I can't use it for 90 days. Part of the deal where I get some extremely tiny bit of the $600K for this month for lent copies and Amazon Prime free copies is that I agree to not publish anywhere else during the 90 days.

I'm going to read over the deal at Barnes and Noble and see if they are any better.
Let me know. I own a NOOK and would purchase if it was a (reasonably priced) option.

Game On,
fbmf
erik
King

Post by erik »

As soon as I have some good work news I'll certainly grab it on Amazon. Too bad my free Amazon Prime expired on the 25th.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I bought the book and I'll try to read it this weekend. I'll try to also proofread it. But the second part might not happen based on what activities my wife has planned for the family. But, I'll help if I can.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.