aWoD Rules questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

cthulhu
Duke

aWoD Rules questions

Post by cthulhu »

Does all uses of disciplines cost powerpoints? I ask because some powers mention cost of a PP or 5 PP or whatevr and others just say a simple action

e.g. (emphasis mine)
Death Knell The character shuts off access to The Gloom. All creatures with a Potency of zero and an Orphic power source (such as shamblers) simply cease to be supernatural creatures (or indeed, creatures at all). The character makes an Agility + Combat or Strength + Athletics test and all Orphic creatures (possibly including the character) lose that many power points. Creatures without enough Power Points to lose take damage levels equal to the dierence. All Shadow Gates close, and all Ghosts are deported to the Deep Gloom. The power takes a Complex Action and a power point, and it extends out to 100 meters per point of Potency.
compared to
Glimpse of the Abyss The character can show a bit of the inevitable doom that awaits us all to a group of targets. The character makes an opposed Strength + Athletics or Willpower + Expression test against each victim's Willpower. Every victim who is affected is stunned for a turn with awe and despair. Even Doom loses its impact, and a target who is affected will be harder to affect in the same evening - apply a 1 hit penalty to the character for each time a particular victim has been assaulted. Using Glimpse of the Abyss takes a
Complex Action, and extends to Line of Sight.
Is this intentional? It feels like it is, but it's not explictly started (well, it might be and I've missed it), so I thought I might ask.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Not all powers cost power points to activate.

Actually, that's one of my only complaints about the game; some creature types don't start with any powers that cost power points, and so if you select your optional powers carefully then you'll end up not needing power points at all at character creation, which lets you ignore your Power Schedule entirely.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Lokathor wrote:Not all powers cost power points to activate.

Actually, that's one of my only complaints about the game; some creature types don't start with any powers that cost power points, and so if you select your optional powers carefully then you'll end up not needing power points at all at character creation, which lets you ignore your Power Schedule entirely.
How is that a problem, beyond the possibility of creating an slightly weak character?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

It's not a problem exactly, it's just weird.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered