Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by Username17 »

Really, what do they say that Magic of Eberron says to contradict putting Infusions into Staves? I'm serious, I am looking at a copy of it right now and I see nothing of the kind.

It introduces "spell storing minor Schema" which can specifically be used to store infusions, but at no time does it seem to say that they are the only objects that can do so. I'm really confused.

The rules say:
MoE, p. 122 wrote:Some schemas are representations of spells or infusions, which in knowledgeable hands can be used to replicate the casting of those spells.

It does not say:
douchebag wrote:Rules for schemas - the only magic item which can contain infusions - appear in Magic of Eberron.

Seriously, One rule says "geckos are reptiles", and there are guys on your thread who are arguing that means that nothing else can be a reptile. There's no logical process there I can see.

-Username17
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1183483613[/unixtime]]Really, what do they say that Magic of Eberron says to contradict putting Infusions into Staves? I'm serious, I am looking at a copy of it right now and I see nothing of the kind.

It introduces "spell storing minor Schema" which can specifically be used to store infusions, but at no time does it seem to say that they are the only objects that can do so. I'm really confused.

The rules say:
MoE, p. 122 wrote:Some schemas are representations of spells or infusions, which in knowledgeable hands can be used to replicate the casting of those spells.

It does not say:
douchebag wrote:Rules for schemas - the only magic item which can contain infusions - appear in Magic of Eberron.

Seriously, One rule says "geckos are reptiles", and there are guys on your thread who are arguing that means that nothing else can be a reptile. There's no logical process there I can see.

-Username17

The logical process (har har) that goes on is this: The rules are inclusive so anything that is not specifically allowed is by default disallowed. Among other things:

1) The rules don't mention how the various races have kids so they don't.
2) The rules don't say a character can choose not to breathe so holding your breath is impossible.
3) The rules don't say you can see on the visible spectrum of electromagnetic radiation so you can't see colors or, for that matter, anything at all.
4) And so on, and so forth.

The assumption that the rules are inclusive is false at it's face. However, it is considered correct because of an appeal to authority, ie it was used as a cop out by designers so it now Holy Word Written In Stone (tm). Unfortunately, Skip Williams career as the Sage has proven beyond any doubt that D&D designers could not find their own ass with a map and a GPS and a fucking native guide. So their argument is shot to hell coming and going. And they still insist I am the one being unreasonable! GAH! :disgusted:

And, yes, I've been expecting rational discussion. Roleplaying Open was the place where some of the most awesome discussions I've seen happened. I now realize they were all about Exalted or WotG or even FATAL. Yes, I've seriously had discussions about The Worst RPG Ever that were better than this.

I now realize the wisdom of RPG.net admins in separating the d20 discussions from RPG Open. However, I could hit them for forgetting to put on the fucking sign:

ABANDON ALL HOPE
YE WHO ENTER HERE!

Yes, Naar, your happiness was my only thought as I entered this thread! :tongue:
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1183486644[/unixtime]]The logical process (har har) that goes on is this: The rules are inclusive so anything that is not specifically allowed is by default disallowed.
I've seen this methodology applied many a time. For example, applied to the PHB equipment lists asserting that they exhaustively enumerate such objects in the world that can be said to "legally exist". Or, in a softer pitch, that allowing the existence of any piece of equipment not so enumerated is a "house rule" and therefore all rules interactions that stem from such an item come from your "house rule" and not the "RAW".

I think I responded to this with a statement along the lines of "So... If I put something in my empty backpack, I'm suddenly in a house rule zone that absolves the 'RAW' from all derived consequences? And... aren't those lists of items commonly available to purchase that speak nothing of existence or legality?"

I think it may have been Thorak who disagreed with me on that point.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1183486644[/unixtime]]
The logical process (har har) that goes on is this: The rules are inclusive so anything that is not specifically allowed is by default disallowed.

Well, I mean, to some degree, the rules are. If the rules are exclusive, then we'd get all kinds of crazy stupidity like: Commoners can cast 9th level spells because nowhere does it say they can't cast spells.

You really can't have exclusive rules that make much sense, so all rules are pretty much defined to be inclusive. If the rules don't say you can do something then you can't. That's really the way it has to be.

Now the thing is that there's stuff that's implied in the rules, because the rules are designed for open storytelling as opposed to limited functionality, but I think where to draw this line is sometimes blurred and people sometimes take it too far.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I hope I won't be in trouble for posting a non-RPG link, but this is [url=]too funny[url].

wrote:
"I am a bit troubled. I believe my son has a girlfriend, because she left a dirty magazine with men in it under his bed. My son is only 16 and I really don't think he's ready to date yet. What's worse is that he's sneaking some girl to his room behind my back. I need help, God! I want my son to stop being so secretive!"

shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1183502539[/unixtime]]
shirak at [unixtime wrote:1183486644[/unixtime]]
The logical process (har har) that goes on is this: The rules are inclusive so anything that is not specifically allowed is by default disallowed.

Well, I mean, to some degree, the rules are. If the rules are exclusive, then we'd get all kinds of crazy stupidity like: Commoners can cast 9th level spells because nowhere does it say they can't cast spells.

You really can't have exclusive rules that make much sense, so all rules are pretty much defined to be inclusive. If the rules don't say you can do something then you can't. That's really the way it has to be.

Now the thing is that there's stuff that's implied in the rules, because the rules are designed for open storytelling as opposed to limited functionality, but I think where to draw this line is sometimes blurred and people sometimes take it too far.

Let me rephrase that. My position is that rules define by statement and implication what is allowed and then define by statement and implication what is not allowed.

Their position is that anything not specifically defined by statement as allowed is disallowed. And that's dumb.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1183529322[/unixtime]]I hope I won't be in trouble for posting a non-RPG link, but this is [url=]too funny[url].

wrote:
"I am a bit troubled. I believe my son has a girlfriend, because she left a dirty magazine with men in it under his bed. My son is only 16 and I really don't think he's ready to date yet. What's worse is that he's sneaking some girl to his room behind my back. I need help, God! I want my son to stop being so secretive!"

Since there was no link, I'll just ask. Has anyone told this person "Your son is gay, dumbass."?
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Please fix the link, Guest, that one looks like awesome.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

How come the link worked for you, but not for me? Frustrating, especially since I cannot edit.

Some of those other quotes are even better, though.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1183473787[/unixtime]]
SunTzuWarmaster at [unixtime wrote:1183463286[/unixtime]]I think that a core class that:
-can only do one thing... mediocrely
-has no unique features
-has nothing noteworthy about it
-is good for 2 levels

is a good thing? Especially because it is just like real lifez!!!one11!
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=824217

That one definitely called for a rebuttal, even though it is old as dirt. And not really from a min/max perspective but from an old fart 1E player perspective. Since this is on Regdar’s Suppository I'll post my reply here.

my simple 'It's so easy even a caveman can make it' rebuttal wrote:You state you find the fighter “perfect,” yet at the same time you also state that “The fighter does what the class suggest. Fight. Even the biggest anti-fighter should agree with me that this is what the fighter does. I’m not saying he’s good at it, I’m not saying he’s bad at it. I am saying that the Fighter can’t do much else but fight.” That is the problem in a nutshell. If you have a class called the fighter and that class is supposed to be focused on fighting then they better be good at it.

The problem with the fighter class is at the core everyone is an amateur fighter. Even the wizard can, on occasion, poke someone with a dagger.

[big snip]

A very nice post, and - for myself at least - somewhat coincidental timing as I've been thinking the exact same thing. I recently had a rant about the utter worthlessness of Fighters in the game to a roleplaying friend of mine. She listened patiently, nodded in all the right places, and said "So what can they do about it?"

I've been mulling over that one ever since. My immediate thoughts were of the Bad Old Days when - as you say - Fighters could do combat things that nobody else got to do.

I don't think that the correct way to go is to create a Fighter class that "balances" with the spellcaster because there's no way of doing that without giving him an assload of supernatural and/or spell-like abilities. Not that there's anything wrong with Fighters having some capabilities along those lines, but it shouldn't be what makes them Fighters.

No, I think that in this instance, backward may be the way forward and rather than heaping on the bonuses in an attempt at balance, the base mechanics need adjusting for everyone. What if iterative attacks from a high BAB maxed out at three instead of four? And what if the big class feature of the Fighter was that he picked up an extra attack at his highest bonus at third level and every six thereafter? So...

Fighter:

Level 1: +1
Level 3: +3/+3
Level 6: +6/+6/+1
Level 9: +9/+9/+9/+5
Level 11: +11/+11/+11/+6/+1
Level 15: +15/+15/+15/+15/+8/+3

Everyone else:

Level 1: +1
Level 6: +6/+1
Level 11: +11/+6/+1

Too much? Maybe, but I'm just thinking aloud at present; I'm not pretending these ideas are fully developed and it would just be a first step in any case. What about monsters? Well maybe iterative attacks from racial Hit Dice cap out at four; the really scary melee combatant monsters get most of their abilities from multiple natural attacks in any case.

This doesn't deal with people using Polymorph and Shapechange to take the form of creatures with multiple natural attacks... but on the other hand, that's a situation that badly needs fixing and I doubt there's any point trying to balance the Fighter with something so broken.

Another thing that occurred was the old 2e scenario of percentile strength with a score of 18; only Fighters got it. Perhaps only those with levels in Fighter or racial Hit Dice have the requisite skill to properly use their Strength in combat to get bonuses to hit? Say, for instance, everyone can properly use up to a +2 Strength bonus, but beyond that point they only get increased bonuses to damage from a high Strength?

Fighters could gain to-hit bonuses from a high Strength score in increments: say +1 at 2nd level and every three levels beyond, as a class feature.

So, their bonus to hit/damage from high Strength would work like this for a Fighter with Strength 18:

Level 1: +2/+4
Level 2: +3/+4
Level 5: +4/+4

Everyone else would get +2/+2.

And finally, a similar scenario with hit points; although this is a class feature I would expect other mainly-martial classes to share, and of course you'd get full benefit from all racial Hit Dice. Fighters can simply take more punishment than anyone else and get more benefit from a high Constitution score than other classes can derive. They gain an extra +1hp/level from a high Con at level 2, and one more point per two levels thereafter...

For a Fighter with Con 20:

Level 1: +2hp/level
Level 2: +3hp/level
Level 4: +4hp/level
Level 6: +5hp/level

Maybe that's not the way to go: maybe Fighters should just get a load of extra hit points per level regardless of Con, but my thinking is to withhold physical benefits from classes that don't spend their time training to gain them, rather than just ladling on extra bonuses for Fighters that other classes will just emulate in other ways.

The downside with the approach - almost - is that it ironically somewhat reduces MAD for other classes; if you can't benefit from a score higher than 16, there's no point pumping or buffing it any higher... but on the other hand, it means that the Fighter is going to get priority for those buffs and items because he'll be able to make the best use of them.

It's also going to screw over the Barbarian unless we give him a bonus attack or two and/or let him gain to-hit and Con bonuses as a Fighter of his level (or even uncapped) whilst raging... but that's OK. What of the Paladin? Give him some decent friggin' class abilities and access to the Con bonus, but leave the Fighter's to-hit from Strength and extra attacks the hell alone.

The numbers could all change, but what do y'all think about it as a principle?
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1183535359[/unixtime]]How come the link worked for you, but not for me? Frustrating, especially since I cannot edit.

Some of those other quotes are even better, though.

You forgot to put the link in. The syntax is:

Code: Select all

[url=*INSERT LINK HERE*]*INSERT TEXT TO BE SHOWN HERE*[/url]
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Amra,

I'd suggest reading Most of these hits. The fighter discussion has been going on for a long while in these forums. Read up and then start a separate thread or resurrect an old one to continue talking ;)
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Okay so shirak is greek *writes on a clipboard*
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1183540836[/unixtime]]Okay so shirak is greek *writes on a clipboard*

What are you talking about? My location is on my public profile and has been since I joined.

Yeah, I live in Thessaloniki, Greece.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

pshaw, like I ever read profiles :razz:
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Frank wrote:The key goes back to the requirements to cast a spell out of a wand with UMD - you have to roll a 20. Not a 21, a 20. If you roll a 20 on your UMD check, you cast as a 0th level Wizard for the purpose of activating the wand, and you successfully activate the wand of fireball.

But if you have a UMD result of over nine thousand then you cast as a Cleric of level over nine thousand for the purposes of activating the staff of holy word. And this allows you to successfully activate the staff.

But because of the special rule of staves, where if the character activating it has a high caster level they can choose to have the spell go off at that caster level instead of the staff level - having a level of over nine thousand for the the purpose of activating a staff actually makes a difference.
The last two paragraphs are of course self-evident, but what I see as a problem with the first is that "emulate feature" and "use wand" are listed as separate UMD functions, and the former is specific in saying it only works if the feature is needed (by the character, it seem safe to say), while the latter doesn't emulate a caster level at all. Then it turns out a paladin without the "spells" class feature doesn't need it to use wands - therefore, emulation of "spells" is unneeded to use a wand, and thus no "emulate feature" for it and no crazy-high CL. Maybe I'm deserving a Darwin too, but what are the holes here (anyway, whoever wrote the paladin sure does)?

P.S.: poor Occam ...
Julian wrote:Linda KNOWS her son has a mystery girlfriend because of all the make up and eyeliner and feminine beauty products in his room, along with the epilator, dresses, knickers, high heels and bras.

The Scissor Sisters and Village People CDs remain a mystery however.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1183557980[/unixtime]]The last two paragraphs are of course self-evident, but what I see as a problem with the first is that "emulate feature" and "use wand" are listed as separate UMD functions, and the former is specific in saying it only works if the feature is needed (by the character, it seem safe to say), while the latter doesn't emulate a caster level at all. Then it turns out a paladin without the "spells" class feature doesn't need it to use wands - therefore, emulation of "spells" is unneeded to use a wand, and thus no "emulate feature" for it and no crazy-high CL. Maybe I'm deserving a Darwin too, but what are the holes here (anyway, whoever wrote the paladin sure does)?

OK. The reason Staves follow a different procedure than anything else in the books as regards UMD is that Staves have an additional rule. They are just like Wands except they check your CL and use it instead of their own if it is greater!

So the Staff first queries to see if you have the spell in your spell list. You UMD it into thinking the answer is yes.
Then the staff queries what your CL is. And that question comes out negative because you don't have a single fucking level in Cleric. So what you do is once again roll UMD, this time to Emulate the Class Feature "Spells" of a Cleric. This gives you an effective level in Cleric and thus an effective CL (which is defined as your level in a class for the purpose of casting spells). So you fooled the Staff into thinking you are a Cleric of level equal to (UMD Check -20). And this means your CL is used to determine the effects of the spell from the Staff.
Chuckles
NPC

Post by Chuckles »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1183587008[/unixtime]]
Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1183557980[/unixtime]]The last two paragraphs are of course self-evident, but what I see as a problem with the first is that emulate feature; and;use wand; are listed as separate UMD functions, and the former is specific in saying it only works if the feature is needed (by the character, it seem safe to say), while the latter doesn't emulate a caster level at all. Then it turns out a paladin without the "spells" class feature doesn't need it to use wands - therefore, emulation of;spells; is unneeded to use a wand, and thus no; emulate feature; for it and no crazy-high CL. Maybe I'm deserving a Darwin too, but what are the holes here (anyway, whoever wrote the paladin sure does)?

OK. The reason Staves follow a different procedure than anything else in the books as regards UMD is that Staves have an additional rule. They are just like Wands except they check your CL and use it instead of their own if it is greater!

That is correct, but caster level is not a component of activivating it. And UMD is all about activation, not how effective you are. Emulate starts with, "Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item." You don't need a Caster Level to activate it. To make it effective, for most spells you do need one, but effective and necessary are two different things. You can use a staff of healing without a caster level, works just fine.

shirak wrote:So the Staff first queries to see if you have the spell in your spell list. You UMD it into thinking the answer is yes.

In addition in the description of UMD they mention that Scrolls need a ability score of the appropriate level to activate, so you roll twice. Staffs on the other hand, they only mention in one entry. Period, the end, if they wanted you to use emulate class feature for staffs they would have mentioned it. Wands, staffs and scrolls are all mentioned by name in the sections that they use. If you follow the rules then you wont have wacky world characters who break the setting.

So the rest of your quote here is invalid. You really want the character to have a caster level, but however much you want him to he doesn't have one.

shirak wrote:
Then the staff queries what your CL is. And that question comes out negative because you don't have a single fvcking level in Cleric. So what you do is once again roll UMD, this time to Emulate the Class Feature "Spells" of a Cleric. This gives you an effective level in Cleric and thus an effective CL (which is defined as your level in a class for the purpose of casting spells). So you fooled the Staff into thinking you are a Cleric of level equal to (UMD Check -20). And this means your CL is used to determine the effects of the spell from the Staff.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chuckles, are you seriously arguing that a Bard can't use the UMD skill to activate the raise dead option from a Staff of Healing on the grounds that they can activate the magic item at all without resorting to the skill?

Or are we going to have to get into an argument about whether activating a better effect out of a magical item that can be activated to a lesser extent constitutes a "need"?

-Username17
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

"Munchkin vs. Railroader! Who will win???"

[Edit]Oh, if there are quotes around the URL it redirects to this thread. Strange[/Edit]
Chuckles
NPC

Post by Chuckles »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1183605405[/unixtime]]Chuckles, are you seriously arguing that a Bard can't use the UMD skill to activate the raise dead option from a Staff of Healing on the grounds that they can activate the magic item at all without resorting to the skill?

Okay, this makes no sense, you use can and can't in the same sentence. I don't know what you are saying.

FrankTrollman wrote:Or are we going to have to get into an argument about whether activating a better effect out of a magical item that can be activated to a lesser extent constitutes a "need"?

-Username17

So you do understand the you don't need a caster level to activate the staff. But you argument is that it makes the staff more powerful, so the character can makes another check. Where are you getting that from? Where is that in the rules?
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

I think there isn't any support for it in the rules because 3rd edition staves didn't get to use their owners CL if it was higher than the staff caster level (at least, I don't recall reading that in 3.0). They just never updated the UMD text.

To me, however, it's pretty clear.

Caster Level is equal to your class level, for most spellcasting classes (cleric included). UMD lets you pretend to be a high level cleric for the purposes of activating a magic item. Staves let you use your own CL if you want, when activating the staff. You're still using UMD to activate the staff. You can also use your (now) super-high UMD check to up the DC by alot by increasing your effective relavent ability score (check - 15).

However, the description of UMD is actually much more damning. I never noticed before, but..

SRD wrote:Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item. In this case, your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20.

You can't emulate the "Spells" class feature, you emulate "Cleric" class features. You pretend to get everything up to (Check-20) levels. Meaning one roll gives you Turn/Rebuke undead (as appropriate, or as opposite if you want to emulate alignment), CL = (Check-20), and Spells per Day as a cleric (Check-20). The arguements based on "you can't emulate CL" are totally bunk, UMD specifically says you get to pretend to be a Cleric, and part of being a cleric of X level is that you have X CL.

With this in mind, you can you can actually squeeze a bit more DC out of the staves if you can find a class that gives you bonus feats that you can use to take DC increasing feats, and pretend to be that class so you can pretend to get those feats with the bonus feat class feature. If you can find a race that gives a bonus to CL (for some reason), you could pretend to be that race, too, and get another bonus to your CL.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

technomancer: the hypohesis of the editing having failed to update staff text is a pretty good RAI argument*, but, while I know that pretty much whatever comes from RAW would be stupid, I wanted to know the cold hard fact, and what I see about it is that the quote you just used allows emulation of a specific (no plural used) class feature (that is) needed for activating an item, and spells isn't needed. Of course, I can trust Frank to come up with better rules (Tome of Gears FTW!), but RAW itself seems to deny this CL emulation (and of course bringing it back/again isn't a very bright idea).

*: just as Frank said on the karma bead issue (and even more glaring here, since it isn't a simple arithmetic error), the fact that it never got errata may count for something - may even mean it's intentional that it wasn't ever added.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

technomancer at [unixtime wrote:1183638262[/unixtime]]

SRD wrote:Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item. In this case, your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20.

You can't emulate the "Spells" class feature, you emulate "Cleric" class features. You pretend to get everything up to (Check-20) levels. Meaning one roll gives you Turn/Rebuke undead (as appropriate, or as opposite if you want to emulate alignment), CL = (Check-20), and Spells per Day as a cleric (Check-20). The arguements based on "you can't emulate CL" are totally bunk, UMD specifically says you get to pretend to be a Cleric, and part of being a cleric of X level is that you have X CL.

With this in mind, you can you can actually squeeze a bit more DC out of the staves if you can find a class that gives you bonus feats that you can use to take DC increasing feats, and pretend to be that class so you can pretend to get those feats with the bonus feat class feature. If you can find a race that gives a bonus to CL (for some reason), you could pretend to be that race, too, and get another bonus to your CL.

Not quite. UMD gives you an effective level in Class X for the purpose of having a class feature. You get a virtual class level that gives you the class feature at that level. So when you emulate the class feature "Spells" you literally gain the ability to cast spells as a Cleric of level (UMD Check - 20). If you emulate the class feature "Turn Undead" you literally gain the ability to Turn Undead as a Cleric of level (UMD Check - 20). What you don't gain is anything else. You don't gain the Domain ability unless you emulate that too. And you wouldn't gain, for example, the Beguiler's Sneak Attack DCs if you emulated the "Spells" ability of a Beguiler.

Question: Since you are not supposed to gain anything else, what's up with gaining Caster Level?
Answer: Caster Level is your level for the purpose of casting spells. So emulating the "Spells" class feature is the same as gaining a CL. You might as well call Caster Level "Effective level for the purpose of the Spells class feature" because that's what it is.