Requesting: Favors & Threats

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Red Archon
Journeyman

Requesting: Favors & Threats

Post by Red Archon »

I'm not actually requesting threats, but a favor, yes. Having watched a lot of thriller films and crime dramas like The Sopranos, The Shield, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire and so on, I'm interested if someone knows about some game, card, board or roleplaying based that's based around the interesting economics people in these crime shows? Like, where you trade intel, people, money, favors and threats to get about your set goals, preferrably in a criminal enterprise setting.

If something like that doesn't really exist, how would you go about making a game like that? I mean, the goals of the game design are a bif fuzzy in my head to begin with, this just popping to my head, but I think it could be made fairly interesting in many formats, from RPG campaigns to quick card games.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There's the Leverage RPG. No idea if it is any good or not. I've only heard good reviews, but I've only heard reviews at all from Storygames Swine, so I haven't gone out of my way to read or test it myself.

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Junta is a fun board game that fits many of your criteria, but it might be too political for your tastes. (There's no shortage of criminality, though!)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Shadowrun would work i think . .
Then again, technically, so would DnD . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

A sad void I will one day try to fill.

I tried to write a LARP about organized crime in college. Even by the standards of my FAILED projects only, it really did not get far.

If I was in the mood for that kind of thing, I would probably play Shadowrun--I am willing to accept the non-absence of magic and super-science in exchange for the presence of crimes.
Last edited by Neurosis on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... fter-pablo
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85005/the-boss

There are quite a few crime-based boardgames, but which is "best" is always a matter of taste.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Spycraft does okay, I think, either as a CCG or as an RPG.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the idea of a board game about organized crime makes me wonder how one might modify Monopoly to be such...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

add a player type and another set of cards.

Cops
Robbers
Bystanders

Crime Cards
*steal form the next property you land on rather than pay rent you gain that rent amount from the owner of that property (become a robber)
*arson: destroy one house or hotel on the next opponent's property you land on (become a robber)
*send a robber directly to jail. they do not pass GO, they do not collect $200 (become a cop)

and so on.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)