All games are breakable. Help me.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: All games are breakable. Help me.

Post by Koumei »

Well, this thread taught me to avoid D20 modern. I've only looked through the books (hence knowledge of the Illithid Gangsta' and Maddie), not played it, and this has ensured that I won't start doing so.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Josh Kablack is a fan of Feng Shui and Spycraft.

I haven't played those games but I remember him speaking highly of them. If he still frequents these boards you should ask him.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I briefly played in a Spycraft game once, but the DM wasn't making it very exciting, so I'm not sure if the game itself had any special merit. It looks like the kind of game where you are your equipment though.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Koumei wrote:It looks like the kind of game where you are your equipment though.

Flavor-wise, the modern world of espionage is the perfect setting to have a large reliance on gadgets. James Bond just isn't without the devices of Q.

;)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

On high school drama: BESM and GURPS will do the job. I prefer BESM mainly because I hate GURPS. I have no idea how Teens from Outer Space plays.

On gangsters: I cannot recommend Spirit of the Century enough. Seriously, the game is fvcking awesome with some awesome sprinkled on top for flavor.

For high action: Wushu rocks the house on general principles. Feng Shui is pretty good though I can't say I like the time-traveling thing it has going on. Then there's Weapons of the Gods for some... older movies. Doing The Tuxedo with WotG requires a few houserules (to introduce guns for one) but it's totally doable. Drunken Master OTOH you can do laughably easily. Plus, WotG is awesome on par with SotC though for different genres.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Teeners is amazingly simple. You could explain it to someone in a couple of minutes.

Your various stats are 1d6 each. Whenever you perform an action, you roll 1d6 and add. Tasks have varying DCs. Roll too well or too poorly and something amusing and inconvenient happens (seriously. It suggests average rolls as being the best insofar as "intended result" goes).

Some things can grant you a whopping +1 bonus or something. Like, having the character shtick of "Looks good in shades" means you have a +1 to "Looks" when wearing sunglasses.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I want to play that game.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Feng Shui doesn't really have rules, so much as some guidelines for resolution to point everyone in the right direction. Where the right direction is faintly absurd.

On the plus side this means you can get everyone on the same page in about 4 seconds, which is great, on the down side the DM has to improv alot, which can be slightly annoying. YMMV.

I dmed the first edition of spycraft once and I didn't do a very good job of making it very inspiring. As a system it ticked over, some of the classes where a bit Weird and Sucky (YMMV), but thats easy enough to avoid (don't play them). Feats continuted the great d20 tradition of sucking ass, and the chase stuff was cool, but I am given to understand it has changed a bit.

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Oh and the Metaplot for Feng shui is both hilarious and stupid, but the game doesn't loose much (anything?) if you just ignore it and do whatever you feel like.

Edit: The action resolution system is Skill + 1d6 - 1d6.

It does have d20 style feats except they are awesome - and spells and kung fu powers are feats.

I have to say that if you are looking for a fast and loose modern style setting, it gets my vote.

Downsides: Some of the 'feats' are just not as good as the others. There is an entire kungfu tree that is.. the same as another kung fu tree with smaller bonuses.

They also make the attributes systems needlessly complex (There are 4 primary attributes with 3 or 4 secondary attributes, but for any given character the likelyhood of more than one secondary attribute even being relevant is pretty slim.)

But really thats just nitpicks.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1190874484[/unixtime]]Teeners is amazingly simple.

In case it wasn't abundantly clear, TfOS is a comedy system. If you want a serious game, it's not what you want. Of course, if you want a serious game, your basic premise needs to change.

On the other hand, dueling to the bonk is pretty cool.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

PhartLobster:
RPGs are like any other machine.
They're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.

Just ignore him then, he can't decide on a single system.
d20 Modern works for me though, sometimes. It has its merits, even if it is d20.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh yes, I was well aware that Teeners is the kind of system just for having a good laugh.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

GURPS is crunchy and doesn't do silly or cute quite as easily as BESM's various versions. but I have used it for such.

Skill games: GURPS wins.
Four color combat: Hero is the best.
Hong Kong combat: Feng Shui really does it best. Hero, GURPS, and BESM have too many mechanics to do it right.
Cute and storyfluff: BESM, Tri-Stat. They have systems which are adaptable and don't have the high granularity that GURPS does or the focus on combat that Feng Shui or Hero does.

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1190865143[/unixtime]
He isn't on a never ending quest for the perfect RPG, he is on a never ending quest to fabricate some sort of proof that the Gaming Den is full of negative meanies who don't like any RPG ever.

I thought that was pretty obvious?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Isn't that like a Greek with a lamp looking to find a dishonest man? :tongue:
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1190886585[/unixtime]]Oh yes, I was well aware that Teeners is the kind of system just for having a good laugh.

Yeah, that was to inform Captain Bleach, since I'm guessing he's never heard of it.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1190905750[/unixtime]]
PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1190865143[/unixtime]
He isn't on a never ending quest for the perfect RPG, he is on a never ending quest to fabricate some sort of proof that the Gaming Den is full of negative meanies who don't like any RPG ever.

I thought that was pretty obvious?

Hey, I decided on a game system to use, I am going to try out Shadowrun, and I'm sorry if I act like "the Gaming Den is full of negative meanies who don't like any RPG ever." It is merely many guys' posts who seem very inflammatory when it comes to game mechanics.
As for Shadowrun, how is 4th Edition? Overall, is it better, worse, or about the same to 3rd Edition?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

There's nothing worse than sitting down to play a game and finding out that the rules are unplayable, that's all.

We're playing, they're writing, and no one seems to be doing the math...

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1190913969[/unixtime]]

Hey, I decided on a game system to use, I am going to try out Shadowrun, and I'm sorry if I act like "the Gaming Den is full of negative meanies who don't like any RPG ever." It is merely many guys' posts who seem very inflammatory when it comes to game mechanics.
As for Shadowrun, how is 4th Edition? Overall, is it better, worse, or about the same to 3rd Edition?

Good pick. Dunno, I only have 3rd...
Iaimeki
Journeyman

Post by Iaimeki »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1190913969[/unixtime]]I'm sorry if I act like "the Gaming Den is full of negative meanies who don't like any RPG ever."

Apologizing is good, but only if it means it won't happen again :).

The Gaming Den is a refuge of sorts for people who've listened to countless examples of irrational argumentation, ludicrous math errors, and basic stupidity on other roleplaying boards. You can see it in the 58-page thread about exactly those kinds of posts: there's a lot of repressed irritation that comes out here because you aren't allowed to express it on other boards. I hang out here because I don't have to wade through 10 posts to find someone with basic reasoning skills and because people ranting about all the same things that frustrate me amuses me.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Hey, I decided on a game system to use, I am going to try out Shadowrun <SNIP>

Answering the question 4th is overall better.

There are 'three' 'problems' of which two are never likely to come up and one is irritating but easily fixable.

This one infinite power loop for blood spirits which you ignore by not letting players play blood mages (which is normal anyway)

Ally spirits are somewhat under priced for high force spirits and overpriced for low force spirits. System is playable without any change, but you can tweak this cost structure a bit.

Now for the real problem: character generation and character advancement are currently in a workable state, and no puppies will die if you use the system as presented.

However, the character generation and character advancement rules are needlessly different, so a simple change is to replace the advancement rules with the generation rules.

Also, some of the costs (skills vs attributes) are somewhat out of wack, so changing those to be more in line also makes the greasy wheels of the system spin better.

Again, you don;t have to make htis change, the system works fine as is. If you'd like to, frank presents a set of house rules here http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s ... r][br]that I quite like.

Actually there is another issue: Weaponary doesn't really scale past the small arms category, and starts to break down at the rocket launcher vs APC level.

If you envisage players vs tanks in your game, be aware that tanks are, as written 'GM plot Hammer'

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A huge sniper rifle with cybernetic enhancements for aiming is fine too. ;)

I think it was called the Walther.. that's all I remember.
My backup was a heavily customized shotgun that could literally blow a person to pieces. Sucky recoil, though.
And a cutlass.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Iaimeki at [unixtime wrote:1190926016[/unixtime]]

The Gaming Den is a refuge of sorts for people who've listened to countless examples of irrational argumentation, ludicrous math errors, and basic stupidity on other roleplaying boards. You can see it in the 58-page thread about exactly those kinds of posts: there's a lot of repressed irritation that comes out here because you aren't allowed to express it on other boards.

It's more than just the irritation. It's also the fact that here, unlike any other board I'm familiar with, we are allowed to call stupid ideas stupid, and routinely do so, even when we are discussing each others ideas. See everyone v. tzor in the C&C thread for example.

What some of the newer people here (and I'd guess all of the lurkers visiting from the WotC board who claim to read us because we are so wrongheaded that we are funny or whatever) don't quite get is that whether we agree with you or not has nothing do with whether or not we like you, and when we disagree with you, we aren't going to be pulling any punches just because we like you. This board demands thicker skin than most others, but you won't get run off just for disagreeing with the group. You will get your arguments shredded in to confetti, but you will be welcome to try again.

That said, consistently saying things that are just completely moronic will probably make people think you are a moron, so try to avoid arguments that are obviously bad.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1190880292[/unixtime]]I want to play that game.

It is quite possible the greatest system ever devised.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1190969356[/unixtime]]
Iaimeki at [unixtime wrote:1190926016[/unixtime]]

The Gaming Den is a refuge of sorts for people who've listened to countless examples of irrational argumentation, ludicrous math errors, and basic stupidity on other roleplaying boards. You can see it in the 58-page thread about exactly those kinds of posts: there's a lot of repressed irritation that comes out here because you aren't allowed to express it on other boards.

It's more than just the irritation. It's also the fact that here, unlike any other board I'm familiar with, we are allowed to call stupid ideas stupid, and routinely do so, even when we are discussing each others ideas. See everyone v. tzor in the C&C thread for example.

What some of the newer people here (and I'd guess all of the lurkers visiting from the WotC board who claim to read us because we are so wrongheaded that we are funny or whatever) don't quite get is that whether we agree with you or not has nothing do with whether or not we like you, and when we disagree with you, we aren't going to be pulling any punches just because we like you. This board demands thicker skin than most others, but you won't get run off just for disagreeing with the group. You will get your arguments shredded in to confetti, but you will be welcome to try again.

That said, consistently saying things that are just completely moronic will probably make people think you are a moron, so try to avoid arguments that are obviously bad.

That is the very reason I really like this place. I can post an idea and they tell what is wrong with it so I can fix it or get direction to something that would work just as well. Pretty much, if my shit is broken, they will tell me its broken and show how it is broken and where it broke. I ask a question I get reasonable response.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.