An RPG Significantly Worse Than FATAL

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Chamomile wrote:I kind of want to see a white racial caricature thrown up along with the others and then call it Misanthropy: The Game.
Sorry, people told me to stop.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Undead/Frankenstein girls in a post-apoc setting.

http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Nechronica
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Koumei wrote:If you like looking at terrible RPGs, I will suggest "Everything PurpleXVIII has reviewed", as he does it for a hobby. Examples:
[*]Fursona (probably enough said. Needless to say it includes the "It's not about the yiffing!" disclaimer, and one page later moves right onto the evidence that "Yes, it really is")
[*]Black Tokyo d20 (do not google this. It has stuff that will likely make you ill. And ART! of such. Same author.)
[*]Otherverse (it's like a parody of the Pro-Choice v Pro-Life thing. Except terrible. Same author as the above.)
[*]Kult (like Unknown Armies but not content with only having a bad system!)
[*]In Dark Alleys (like Kult but even worse! Also, science is wrong, man, we should all be noble savages! Oh, and when I say science is wrong, that's except for Freud, who is right.)
[*]Wraeththu (it's not that "The game about (men-only) gay sex" doesn't have a place, don't get me wrong - we know there's a huge market for that. It's the bit where they have anemones for genitals, and kill any women they have sex with, that makes it less good (and also largely damages the following it might have had with the yaoi fangirl base))

Bonus for IDA: know how a game is bad if, after skimming the character creation section, you know what you're "supposed" to play because the game encourages/rewards it? In IDA it's "A [60 year old] [ugly] [black man] who was [born in the ghetto] and [spent time in prison], who also has [a magic kid to look after] and [an abusive partner]."
I had actually heard GOOD things about Kult. Anyway, some of these sound hilarious, I will check them out.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

OgreBattle wrote:If you change the names around, could this be a decent Fantasy game about fighting brutal orcs, suicidal goblins, militant hobgobs and scheming dorfs?
I like how the

Code: Select all

[EDITED]
killer pistol does not actually have an attack or damage bonus versus the

Code: Select all

[EDITED]
enemy type.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Actually I went back and dug up my copy of Black Tokyo.
It's easily the second most disgusting out of all of them, only because it looked like FATAL has more effort put into it.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Black Tokyo is just too dumb/gross to read. Unlike RaHoWa and FATAL it's barely even giggleworthy.

Fursona is a good reminder of why I utterly fucking despise furries with every fiber of my being.
Last edited by Neurosis on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Chamomile wrote:I kind of want to see a white racial caricature thrown up along with the others and then call it Misanthropy: The Game.
It's the Jew. They are a scapegoat of all the qualities white civilization inherently possesses.

hmmm, if every Race had a Paragon/Enemy split, you'd have created a generic fantasy world. Then it'd be about forming multiracial teams of Upstanding Paragons to destroy their ugly stereotypes.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Schwarzkopf wrote:I had actually heard GOOD things about Kult. Anyway, some of these sound hilarious, I will check them out.
Kult does a good job of presenting a nightmarish version of the realworld. The fluff is disturbing, is internally consistent and fits the scope of the game. The mechanics however look horrible enough that I was never even tempted to give it a try.

If you are looking for inspirations for settings somewhere between Alien, Army of God, Lovecraft and The Stand go right ahead. If you actually want a game like that, don't.
Murtak
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

I still think that FATAL has to be some sort of parody.

Maybe my faith in humanity is just that strong.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Wraethu is actually based on Storm Constantine's book series which is also called Wraethu. While the book series takes a more romanticized and looks at the rape situation as something done by evil never-do-well villeins. It's hinted at and at one point it does happen unknowingly (I'll explain this if needed...) and then runs away horrified and scared. So, it's there. But it's more along the lines of Good-vampire/Bad-vampire ideology. Good fiction in a way but Constantine's just a lady with a really twisted mind. Disclaimer: I actually do like the books because they really are quite good and it's quite different from any other mainstream fantasy fiction.

I kinda looked through the Wraethu rpg and it seems like they took the entire book series and then just put it there without most of the moral implications that the book talks about. The rpg is pretty damned bad. But the book series isn't bad if you like weird-non-mainstream fiction.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.