Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

his office at Wolfram and Hart, I mean, though its admittedly been a while.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Yeah. That was full of the magic glass, because that was part of the pitch, IIRC.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Why can water taste kinda dusty?
Why can one have a dry mouth after drinking such water?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Stahlseele wrote:Why can water taste kinda dusty?
Is this from the tap, a bottle, or somewhere else?

A quick google search shows that it might be bacteria and the dry mouth can be your body warning you. Another site suggested a bad water filter and cysts (which are supposedly harmless).
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I'm looking for a thread on this forum about an American at a convention talking about creating dice. Think it was a 2 part youtube video, about how perfect his dice were, and how crappy dice included in most games usually are etc.

Anyone who has a link?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
erik
King

Post by erik »

There was a maker convention where some dice were printed. Does that sound like it?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well it was one guy at a booth being interviewed. He was talking about how dice were created and the blemishes on the dice etc.

- Edit : found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2fxoNHIuU
Last edited by ishy on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Hunh. I don't recall seeing that before. Nifty. I'm pretty sure most of my dice are the more flawed variety.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

i dont even have to click the link, to know it has to be the Lou Zocchi vids from a con where he explained about Gamescience dice vs others and how MOST dice aren't actual fair play even though they are "platonic" solids.

you never saw this before Gamestation bought Zocchi's company including the rights to the Zocchi-hedrom? (d100 no d%)
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

On the subject of dice, mine are starting to get pretty grimy. What's the best way to clean them?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

as long as they arent wooden, then hand soap and water.

if you have a bag onion came in, you could put the dice in it then dip it a few times in some warm soapy water and the "grime" should come off, then just run the bag under a faucet to rinse and let the bag of dice dry.

for stuck on grime, let the dice sit in the soapy water, or dip more vigorously.

for stubborn grime, try a mild dish soap instead of hand soap, something like Dawn or Palmolive as long as it doesnt have abrasives.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

RobbyPants wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Why can water taste kinda dusty?
Is this from the tap, a bottle, or somewhere else?

A quick google search shows that it might be bacteria and the dry mouth can be your body warning you. Another site suggested a bad water filter and cysts (which are supposedly harmless).
Water Bottle.
Previously unopened but left standing for weeks. Usually in a cold and dark place.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

shadzar wrote:as long as they arent wooden, then hand soap and water.

if you have a bag onion came in, you could put the dice in it then dip it a few times in some warm soapy water and the "grime" should come off, then just run the bag under a faucet to rinse and let the bag of dice dry.

for stuck on grime, let the dice sit in the soapy water, or dip more vigorously.

for stubborn grime, try a mild dish soap instead of hand soap, something like Dawn or Palmolive as long as it doesnt have abrasives.
Damn, dude, you must play in a gutter to get dice dirty enough to have such tricks.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Food-Fingers and spilled drinks on the table.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I have a few wooden dice, what's good for those?
Stahlseele wrote:Food-Fingers and spilled drinks on the table.
And hand oils and such.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

well you dont want water to get into the wood and rot or warp them. if they were treated you could wash them with the same soap gently in your hand, but dont submerge them. or you could try a furniture cleaner, but NOT furniture polish since that has a wax in it to coat the furniture and will cause build up or the dice not to roll right.

maybe get a soapy sponge and dab the wooden die on it?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Other wooden things like cutting boards, spoons, floors, etc are frequently washed with dishwashing liquid, towel dried, and last for years. The occasional scrub shouldn't hurt them - just don't dry them in hot conditions like a dishwasher or leave them sitting in water. For extra cleaning power, add a touch of white vinegar to your soapy water.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Doom wrote:
shadzar wrote:as long as they arent wooden, then hand soap and water.

Damn, dude, you must play in a gutter to get dice dirty enough to have such tricks.
I would make several bad jokes right now, but I'm gonna let everyone's imaginations do the work regarding what shadzar does with his dice. Or should I say to his dice.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's probably the 2e. I hear that does dirty, filthy things to anything that touches it.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, I was chatting with people about naturopaths and magic potions and all that ass-gravy, and the placebo effect came up. Obviously you can use "magic energy water" and, if you look and sound doctory enough, you might very well convince them it's working and their brain makes it work.

But this raised a question that, while I could test, could potentially result in a criminal conviction. Besides, it's probably been tested before.

Does it work in reverse? Can you convince someone you put arsenic in their soup or something? (Presumably by being someone they already suspect is out to kill them or dressing like a sinister villain with cape and moustache - or by a doctory person telling them that the tests show it totally happened.)

Note that an answer in the affirmative will not result in me causing psychosomatic assassinations, it's just a point of curiosity. Maybe I'll use it in a murder-mystery story. Maybe.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:Does it work in reverse? Can you convince someone you put arsenic in their soup or something? (Presumably by being someone they already suspect is out to kill them or dressing like a sinister villain with cape and moustache - or by a doctory person telling them that the tests show it totally happened.)
Yes. This is how shamans "curse" people. They know a bunch of crazy shit about how plants work and whatever, and then they walk up and tell you that they cast a magic spell on you and now you can't get an erection. And then you worry about how the spell may have made it so you can't get an erection, and during sexy times you are totally worried, and the erection does not come.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

And then the next guy that can't get an erection claims some witch is stealing his penis.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks. I thought I recalled something from QI about curses basically working that way (as opposed to being 100% bullshit, not "as opposed to them working by magic"), but wasn't sure.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I actually once thought about trying to make money from peoples' vague belief in curses. Set myself up as a professional warlock, and sell curses. The thinking was basically that the placebo effect would do the heavy lifting if I just looked sinister enough, and that legal troubles could be avoided with a defense of "Please. Really? You're trying to convict me because I write out spooky paragraphs on a little scrap of paper, and then either give that to someone to chant as they dance hopping around a candle, or do so myself for a nominal fee? It's a novelty business."

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

There's a great book titled "The Serpent And The Rainbow" about where zombies come from. That's real life historical zombies, not pretend zombies. It has a great discussion of that sort of thing. In short: yes, you can totally kill someone like that (though it might be harder in modern society. I'd try telling them they have AIDS).

There's also a terrible movie with the same title about how the guy who wrote the book came back with secret zombie knowledge. It's like making a horror movie starring Richard Dawkins.

Edit: this is answering Koumei.
Last edited by fectin on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.