D&DNext: Playtest Review

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Good point, I totally forgot about the scaling issues. You can circumvent the really big numbers issue with logarithmic damage or a wound system, but 5e is very clearly not doing that.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

CapnTthePirateG wrote: P.S. I would trust a rulebook to run a campaign better than Mearls. Also, the best part? 4e has rules for running a game without a DM.
Unlike Mearls, you can be assured the rulebook won't pull out its penis out at the table and demand the players suck it.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Yup. Even the Exalted: Lunars book will at most just ask for you to quietly ignore the fact that it's playing pocket pool.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

It looks like the warriors are going to be doing 3-attack combos with cleave extras and damage on a miss at even mid levels, no doubt using those extra attacks for Bo9S type tricks with the 4e module. They don't need that much of a damage boost at that, but the monster hit points getting over 100 for a Troll is still crazy. That should be reserved for the biggest few things in the game. You can have Trolls be a challenge by having 200 Trolls come over the hill when they're still on the RNG.

Who knows, maybe a troll is the biggest thing in the game.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

So another fun quote from the WotC forums
Polaris, at high levels PCs will still be able to alter the fate of worlds even with bounded accuracy. We can still have a fighter who can make a whirlwind atttack and attack each opponent adjacent to him. Or a Rogue that is invisible and can deal enormous sneak attack damage. Or a spellcaster who can travel through time and space. By the time the PCs get to higher levels they'll have abilities that transform the game itself. They don't need to worry about scaling "to hit" scores and scaling "AC" scores.

That hero will not have to worry about an iron door or a handful of orcs. That would be silly.

Yep, today I learned that using a Whirlwind Attack is literally on the same power level as traveling through time and space.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I love these guys. "So, at high levels, the fighter can do what the wizard can do from level 1, and the wizard can rain down death and fire upon a city, topple civilizations with armies of the walking dead, and mess with time! Game balance has been achieved!"
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

tussock wrote:It looks like the warriors are going to be doing 3-attack combos with cleave extras and damage on a miss at even mid levels, no doubt using those extra attacks for Bo9S type tricks with the 4e module. They don't need that much of a damage boost at that, but the monster hit points getting over 100 for a Troll is still crazy. That should be reserved for the biggest few things in the game. You can have Trolls be a challenge by having 200 Trolls come over the hill when they're still on the RNG.

Yeah... if minotaurs and trolls have 132 hit points, it makes me really wonder how they will do stuff like great wyrms, the tarrasque, titans, and other mighty huge and strong iconic D&D monsters... they will have to have 10,000 hit points!
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

infected slut princess wrote:
tussock wrote:It looks like the warriors are going to be doing 3-attack combos with cleave extras and damage on a miss at even mid levels, no doubt using those extra attacks for Bo9S type tricks with the 4e module. They don't need that much of a damage boost at that, but the monster hit points getting over 100 for a Troll is still crazy. That should be reserved for the biggest few things in the game. You can have Trolls be a challenge by having 200 Trolls come over the hill when they're still on the RNG.

Yeah... if minotaurs and trolls have 132 hit points, it makes me really wonder how they will do stuff like great wyrms, the tarrasque, titans, and other mighty huge and strong iconic D&D monsters... they will have to have 10,000 hit points!
My guess is (25+20d12)*4 = 412 HP, as a level 20 solo. Give or take 20 hit points.

Trolls only had so much HP because they're apparently level 6 solos.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

You know, I'm not sure I want to complain about martial vs caster stuff anymore. I don't want to see their attempt at a fighter fix. It would just be "give the fighter more complex ways to do the same shit, and nerf the real classes back to kindergarten." Fighters suck either way, but at least if the game is "unbalanced" you can play something else.

So thank you, fanboys, for proclaiming Whirlwind Attack to be a fair counterpart to Plane Shift.
Last edited by ModelCitizen on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

tussock wrote: Who knows, maybe a troll is the biggest thing in the game.
Distressingly possible.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Ha ha, 400 hit point solos with a modest damage increase? Good luck getting that one past. People, mostly morons, will accept a 20th level fighter never getting much stronger than a troll, but not one is going to accept four minotaurs handing the tarrasque its ass in hand-to-hand combat. I mean, 4E solo monster vs. solo monster fights were like watching obese sloths wrapped in blankets fighting to the death but at least the long-term outcomes made sense. When people figure out that a titan can't win a fight against three trolls even the Gygax-fellating grognards are going to revolt.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

They might not have thought of monsters fighting monsters at all - or simply kept the 4E shit of "unless it's attacking a PC stats do not exist for monsters".
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:When people figure out that a titan can't win a fight against three trolls even the Gygax-fellating grognards are going to revolt.
... except they never will.

Do not underestimate the power of denial.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Didn't they JUST LEARN this shit? They massively improved their solo design from the 4E MM to the MV, and now they're throwing out that progress?
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

I just realised they're never going to let me spend my treasure on a cohort of twenty archers. With no scaling in armour class, they'll either need a damage vs DR scale, or numbers are better than levels.

I guess they'll take care of that with fear effects that hit everyone with less that 20 hit points, no save, line of sight radius. At least for Dragons.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Wulf
Apprentice

Post by Wulf »

I have no need for my fighter to get "stronger" then a troll in muscle power (STR modifier), but I do like him to be more skilled then a troll. My high level fighter should "dance" pass the blows of a troll, to climb-step on the body of that troll and drive his blade through the eyesocket into the brain of his foe, killing it in a fountain of crimson...only to jump off the newly made corpse as it tumbles toward the ground, to jump-attack the next troll in line....all in one turn if possible

And I can not do that with 5th edition :(
Last edited by Wulf on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Isn't this the power level that Heroquest n' Mordheim were made for?

Maybe it's the advantage/disadvantage rerolls that make me think of warhammer.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

Wulf wrote:I have no need for my fighter to get "stronger" then a troll in muscle power (STR modifier), but I do like him to be more skilled then a troll. My high level fighter should "dance" pass the blows of a troll, to climb-step on the body of that troll and drive his blade through the eyesocket into the brain of his foe, killing it in a fountain of crimson...only to jump off the newly made corpse as it tumbles toward the ground, to jump-attack the next troll in line....all in one turn if possible

And I can not do that with 5th edition :(
Sure you can! Just beg your DM to let you make the attempt in the first place, hope he pulls a DC out of his ass that is actually achievable, pray he doesn't make you roll for each individual action, and sweat about whether he remembers to include the houserule he's been using for attacks of opportunity!

Then, when it comes time to roll damage and you don't even shave off 1/10 of it's HP, the DM will simply say, "What? I'm just following the rules!"

D&D: 5e. Because fuck you.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Wulf wrote:I have no need for my fighter to get "stronger" then a troll in muscle power (STR modifier), but I do like him to be more skilled then a troll. My high level fighter should "dance" pass the blows of a troll, to climb-step on the body of that troll and drive his blade through the eyesocket into the brain of his foe, killing it in a fountain of crimson...only to jump off the newly made corpse as it tumbles toward the ground, to jump-attack the next troll in line....all in one turn if possible

And I can not do that with D&D :(
There, I fixed a critical misspelling in your post. I hope this helps!

You know, D&D Next is shaping up to become quite an extravaganza of failure on its own merits, you don't need to point the finger to a problem that's endemic to D&D.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

nockermensch wrote:

And I can not do that with D&D :(
There, I fixed a critical misspelling in your post. I hope this helps!

You know, D&D Next is shaping up to become quite an extravaganza of failure on its own merits, you don't need to point the finger to a problem that's endemic to D&D.
Really?

In 2nd edition high level Fighters got multiple attacks and there were no attacks of opportunity, plus no restriction on moving after attacking, so that scenario is perfectly feasible.

In 3e it sounded like a Charge into a Cleave attack to me.

I can't speak for 4e but that is perfectly reasonable in at least 2 previous major editions of D&D. Let's not get too hung up on the "Fighters suck" meme, they can at least kill enemies below their level fairly efficiently...
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Well, yeah, but so can every caster ever....that's not really an issue.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

What does it take for a 3.5 Fighter to be able to one-hit-kill a Troll like you're describing? A CR5 troll is 6d8+36 (63) HP and a CR11 troll with Ranger levels is 6d8+6d8+72 (130) HP. What does it take for a Fighter to be able to one-shot them with a Charge?

In any case, walking back your claim to the Fighter being able to take out lower-level opponents with ease is a little goalpost-shifty. In the original post, you made it out like the troll is still a big strong tough guy, just less skilled at combat than the Fighter. If you walk that back to the troll being low-level with crud HP, then who cares that the Fighter can do that shit? In 4e you one-shot minions but nobody gives a fuck.
-JM
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

John Magnum wrote:In any case, walking back your claim to the Fighter being able to take out lower-level opponents with ease is a little goalpost-shifty.
Wulf wrote:My high level fighter should "dance" pass the blows of a troll, to climb-step on the body of that troll and drive his blade through the eyesocket into the brain of his foe, killing it in a fountain of crimson...
Emphasis mine. We're not talking about an equal-level Fighter one-shotting a Troll (although that may be possible), but rather a higher-level Fighter doing so.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

It's probably fair to assume that you're not one-shot-killing opponents that have a CR equal or lower than your level. If you're a higher level, you may have a chance.

Let's look at an 11th level fighter. He's using a +1 weapon that deals 1d10 base damage, 2-handed with a Strength bonus of +8 (+12). He also has weapon specialization because why not? He has a weapon that does +2d6 energy damage with every hit, with another +2d10 on a crit. Crit damage is x3. On a critical hit he will do 3d10+45+2d6+2d10. The average damage is 79 damage.

If he were mounted on a horse using a lance and had the appropriate feats, the damage would be insane.

Clearly, the example shows that it isn't going to be a common event, but it at least IS in the realm of possiblity.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Okay. So our eleventh-level Fighter can probably one-shot a CR5 troll if he gets a crit. He'd do way better if he managed to charge on a horse with a lance, but obviously mounted combat is an invitation to be boned in D&D.

That still seems like a pretty far cry from what Wulf was talking about. But maybe I'm just a pessimistic pud.
-JM