General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Mearls WTF?

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_1250.html

http://mearls.livejournal.com/80639.html

So I was linked to these articles by an EnWorld thread. Anyway, this is quite the contrast to bitching at players for quoting rulebooks. So what the hell changed? All I see on EnWorld is old school fappery.

Admittedly, these are seven years old, but still...
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Choose one:

Power corrrupts and absolute power something something...

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Finkin
1st Level

Post by Finkin »

The accused: whoever was making this kind of decision at TSR.

The accomplice: Gary Gygax, for writing this prime example of hack RPG creation. I don't know enough about the situation at TSR circa 1980 to make a call as who exactly is to blame. Maybe Gary had to crank this thing out under an insanely tight deadline. Maybe he jumped up on the table at a board meeting and demanding that this amazing module be published. I won't make a call either way, but his name is on the cover.

The crime: peddling crap on those who didn't know enough to call it crap.

The victim: RPGs in general.
Oh, the irony. Replace every occurrence of Gygax with Mearls and TSR with WotC and you basically have an indictment of everything that has ever had Mearls' name attached to it.

He can only dream that anything in his list of credits has the longevity or is ever as prolific as Keep on the Borderlands.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Well, Keep on the Shadowfell is known as a legendary treasure trove of fail if that's the kind of immortality he was looking for. Though that's more Andy Collins and Bruce Cordell's baby.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

That article about minis is dumb. If 3.5 Favored Enemy is a "mother may I" ability then anything is. The DM might not ever have you fight an evil outsider but it's not like he's allowed to put a cornugon on the board and say "nope, your Favored Enemy: Outsider (Evil) doesn't work right now." A Mother-May-I Favored Enemy would be if you had to describe exactly how you hit the cornugon harder and then the DM decided whether to give you your little +2.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Unless it's actually something else that is using an illusion to look like a cornugon.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I wouldn't say that FE is a Mother May I, but it's definitely a lot more of a gamble than other abilities, so it feels like a MMI when you have to pick what to favour, at least at first.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

Fuchs wrote:Unless it's actually something else that is using an illusion to look like a cornugon.
In 3e there is a 100% non-MTP answer to that: no bonus, unless the something else is also an Outsider(Evil). Likewise, if a cornugon uses an illusion to appear as dog (a regular Animal dog, assume you don't have FE: Animal) you still get your bonus even though you don't know it's an Outsider(Evil). It's not Mother May I but it's definitely kind of bad.

And unfortunately it can't be cleaned up, because to fix it you'd have to invoke the Knowledge rules for identifying creature types and those rules are just comic nonsense.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Yah, Mother May I is when you have to beg for your ability to work at all, not for you to encounter the creature it works upon.

Now, with FE, often the onus may be upon the DM to remember the Ranger's Favored Enemy bonus since the ranger may have no way of knowing what he is spotting/tracking/damaging/etc. and that his bonus actually applies. In that sense, if the Ranger is constantly asking if he gets his bonus, it may feel like Mother May I.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Mearls wrote:This is where I think the basic model of GNS applies(...)
Why does my mind immediately reject any sentence or paragraph that start with this? No matter what follows it?
I'd argue that if you're playing D&D with a focus on investigation, stealth, or roleplay, and the players enjoy it, you've already moved outside the typical D&D paradigm as a group. My focus is on the average D&D group. IME, the typical D&D group sees those factors as fun ways to bridge combat, or interesting ways to earn tactical advantages in upcoming encounters, or a good way to lend emotional weight to a battle. Those factors are all very important (they're why D&D is popular and viable despite other game forms), but they are built around heroic action and adventure.
And this part seems to be a polar opposite of his design goals (the three pillars) in unifying D&D. Unless I remember the Three pillar part wrong (can't seem to find it right now)
Last edited by ishy on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.