Unearthed Arcana Sanity

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Unearthed Arcana Sanity

Post by RobbyPants »

I'm curious about your opinions on the optionl d20 Sanity rules found in Unearthed Arcana. Have you used them? How did they work out?

I was toying with using them in a campaign I'm working on, and I'm curious if there are any pitfalls I should avoid, or if they're so terrible that I shouldn't bother.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

That was basically ripped from d20 Cthulhu (or d20C ripped from UA? Too lazy to check pubdates), but is basically Chaosium's Sanity Check stolen wholesale. I used them in my Conan/CoC d20variant one-shot game. Worked okay except for the SAN loss for casting spells - which works okay for Mythos magic, but cripples regular mages.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I haven't used the d20 version, but it's very similar to the CoC version.

In Call of Cthulhu, I thought it was a lot of fun for one-shot games where you can fully enjoy going cuckoo-bananas and dying, but it was fairly tedious for campaigns (where it's becomes just another type of hit points that you have to heal up between encounters).
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I personally really prefer the idea of changing it to Despair and working it like that. I doubt it would truly work, because Sanity has been such a mainstay of the meta-culture. But I'm more of a purist; what book resulted in someone seeing a river of slime and immediately trying to kill the nearest person, then becoming terrified about being too fat (developing anorexia or bulimia) after seeing a giant severed head fall from the sky?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

hogarth wrote:In Call of Cthulhu, I thought it was a lot of fun for one-shot games where you can fully enjoy going cuckoo-bananas and dying, but it was fairly tedious for campaigns (where it's becomes just another type of hit points that you have to heal up between encounters).
Yeah, I don't think I want to introduce in a form of mental HP. Making healing sanity too easy will likely end with this. If I make it harder to heal, then I'd not want to use the casting/san-loss variant, because then casters would be totally screwed.

Thematically, it seems like a cool idea, but I'm not sure I can pull it off for a long-term campaign.

I wanted the world to start out mostly "normal" for the first few levels, with increasing exposure to alien influences. I may just want to describe what's happening rather than try to force a mechanic into the game to create the same effect.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Couldn't you just make sanity a second HP-like stat and use will saves to resist sanity loss?

EDIT: Oops, I misread the previous post as having the opposite meaning.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:Yeah, I don't think I want to introduce in a form of mental HP.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:Couldn't you just make sanity a second HP-like stat and use will saves to resist sanity loss?
:confused:
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

hogarth wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:Yeah, I don't think I want to introduce in a form of mental HP.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:Couldn't you just make sanity a second HP-like stat and use will saves to resist sanity loss?
:confused:
I misread it.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Heh. I looked from the forum menu and thought "Oh boy! Three new posts!"

:p
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

My group used it in a 16th level one-shot along with a homebrew thing which was identical except you took Con damage when things went bad (or something, it's been a while), and I decided to play a straight-up wizard. By the end of the one-shot (three encounters or so) I was only able to cast third and fourth level spells as anything else would have tipped me over the brink into literal insanity and would have killed me, since I was playing a little old lady.

I definitely thought that it was far too restrictive for regular mages, like Ancient History said, as it essentially cripples you the moment you fail a SAN check- if you're going to be casting 3-8 spells per encounter your sanity will plummet faster than something that plummets really fast. Other than that, I think it's mostly solid.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Well, Mind Blank makes you immune to sanity loss, apparently, so you find a hat which does that and forget that torrid little subsystem even exists.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

CoC characters are expected to actively avoid encountering the things that cause sanity loss.

D&D characters are expected to seek out the things that cause sanity loss, stab them in the face, and take their stuff.

The fundamental difference here is insurmountable.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.