Pretty Soldier Sailor Luna: Online OWoD interest scout

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Chamomile wrote:Okay, couple of questions regarding merits/flaws and having a secret identity, since the true identity of Lightning Kamen is kept secret even from other supernaturals.
I'll go point by point
-Michael Silmoore definitely has a prestigious sire, but Lightning Kamen's is unknown, so should I give him the relevant merit?
Yes, it will only matter when you're not in your Lightning Kamen persona, and mostly only around vamps, possibly his dad's business partners.
-Lightning Kamen's activities are very obviously directed against his sire, but his sire doesn't know that Lightning Kamen is his childe. Does that count as having Sire's Resentment?
Yes, because your sire will resent you at least part of the time, and that may become all of the time if he finds out.
-Michael's nearly suffering from split personality. As a high school student, he's a shy nerd who gets picked on a lot and just kind of puts up with it. As the childe of an important Pentex dude, he's more poised and refined but still pretty much does as he's told (albeit with perhaps some grumbling), including draining people dry if his sire presses the issue. As Lightning Kamen, he takes absolutely no shit from anybody. So, the flaw Shy absolutely applies to two of those three personalities, but when he puts on the Kamen mask he gets way more confident. That's the crux of the character so far. Lightning Kamen is almost fanatical in his quest for vengeance, but Michael eats dinner with his sire at least once or twice a week and doesn't ever flip out and try to murder him. Does that count as the Vengeful flaw? Lightning Kamen has a Code of Honor that he wouldn't violate to save his life (including taking off his mask and doing it as Michael instead), but Michael's required to violate it whenever his sire demands it, which probably isn't going to be too infrequently. And so on and so forth. Right now I'm operating under the assumption that if it fundamentally cannot affect half his personality, it doesn't count.
Shy- Only if you want your difficulties when acting as Lightning Kamen to be 3 points higher.
Vengeful- Only if you want to be spending willpower to not leap at your sire every time you see him. This will be a lot.
Code of Honor- No, because you're violating it part of the time.
-How exactly does Enemy work? Lightning Kamen very obviously has made an enemy likely worth one or two points, in that he's going after a fairly powerful vampire who also works for a Pentex subsidiary. Getting character points for being opposed to Pentex is very obviously broken when Pentex is the main villain, though. At the same time, it's WoD and broken is par for course, so.
Enemy in his case would mean his Sire, and other people LK is working against, specifically wants to harm Lightning Kamen, and is looking for the opportunity, and will spending resources to get said opportunity. So he'll have ghouls following LK and such, and will ask pointed questions if LK is seen entering your bedroom window.
You'd actually get points for it because LK would be known to Pentex et al, and is at risk of a drive by flare gun shooting from the get go if the villains do their home work. In fact, if everyone wants their "crime fighting alter ego" or whatever to be known to Pentex then you can all start with Enemy 5, and you'll just be Kill on Sight and heavily surveilled.
-The cut-off for Child in the Vampire book is ten years old, and comes with significant limitations on your physical stats. Is the Werewolf version different?
Of course it is. I'm basically considering the cut off to be, like, 15.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

@Mr. Teacher
Merits & flaws are in the W:TA Player's guide as an expanded rule.
And yeah, I think Gnosis is worth dropping Expression and Empathy back down to 3s since a combo of competent skills and exceptional social attributes means that you're still an excellent teacher and mediator even without the extra dots. Having Werewolf as the true cosmology means that your access to the Umbra is probably your character's biggest single advantage given that Quantum's mage is more of a techie than a spiritualist. Koumei and I both have good social skills and very strong bennies vs mortals when pulling out all the stops but there's still really not much we can do about paying a social call to Grandfather Thunder on his home turf. That's a big deal because many mortals don't know jack shit or else they wouldn't be mortals.

@Prak

Thanks to the grand tradition of stealing Koumei's template I have a sheet ready for review. The demon half of the equation is Baradiel, a former captain of the Crimson Legion who mostly withdrew from the petty bickering that took place after the fallen hosts were imprisoned--his lowish Eminence is mostly due to inactivity and his very recent resurgence since like many of his House he was pretty much a rock star at one point. Also, don't get him drunk and bring up the Old Testament because Baradiel totally won that wrestling match and claims that Jacob is a lying asshole.

The human equation is a bit grimdark but that's demonic possession for you. Isaac Brandt was a burgeoning jock, runaway and petty burglar. Following his parents ceding custody he committed suicide while in a youth detention center. He wasn't the worst kid, but his odd combination of innocence, suspicion of authority, instinct for manipulation and abandonment/father figure issues made him a receptive vessel for possession by a Herald even if his age and relative ignorance was less than ideal. Now he's about to enter high school after being held back a year and lives with foster parents who think of themselves as tough but fair and are a bit skeptical of how compliant their new charge is being, a situation I modeled by modifying the fluff of the Probation flaw slightly.

-=EDIT=- After a moment of buyer's remorse I swapped Extra Health Levels with the Faith-for-Actions power.
Name: Isaac Brandt (Baradiel)
Sex: Male
Player: Whipstitch
Campaign: Pretty Soldier Sailor Luna
House: Herald/Devil/Namaru
Faction: Cryptic
Nature: Martyr
Demeanor: Perfectionist
Hobbies: wrestling, music, jogging, basketball, stargazing
Likes: competition, caffeine, girls, staying up late, reminiscing, smiting
Dislikes: being interrupted, contemporary country music, abuse of authority, mortal astronomy and modern religions
Favourite Food: Pho ga
Favourite Subject: Physical education
Least Favourite Subject: Science
Blood Type: AB
Birthdate: 1st of November (Scorpio)
Favourite Colours: silver, gold, purple and crimson

Attributes:
Strength***Intelligence*Charisma*
Dexterity****Wits****Manipulation*****
Stamina*Perception*Appearance****

Specialties: Conniving, Intuitive, Graceful, Lightning Reflexes

Abilities:
Alertness*Animal Ken-Academics-
Athletics***Crafts-Computer-
Awareness-Demolitions-Finance-
Brawl*****Drive-Investigation-
Dodge-Etiquette-Law-
Empathy*Firearms-Linguistics*
Expression-Melee-Medicine-
Intimidation*Performance***Occult*
Intuition-Security***Politics*
Leadership***Stealth***Religion*
Streetwise-Survival-Research-
Subterfuge*Technology-Science*

Specialties: Wrestling, Enochian (language)

Backgrounds:
Pact* (A kid from Juvie who he freed from addiction)
Eminence**
Legacy**

Lore:
Primary: Lore of Radiance***
Lore of the Celestials-
Lore of Flame-
Lore of The Fundament-
Lore of Humanity-

Known Lores:
Voice of Heaven
Exalt
Aura of Legend

Apocalyptic Form: Qingu (Custom)
Radiant Aura: Corona of light increases the difficulty of ranged attacks targeting the Demon.(1)
Lordly Mien: Aura of divine authority lowers the difficulty of Charisma and Manipulation rolls by 2. (2)
Improved Strength: +2 Strength (3)
Extra Actions: May gain an extra action per Faith point spent. Each extra action takes place at one initiative lower than the previous action. Must declare extra actions are being purchased at the beginning of the turn. (3)
Voice of the Damned: Demon's voice seethes with inhuman malice. Intimidation difficulty reduced by 2. (0)
Increased Size: 30% taller. +2 Strength, +1 Stamina, +1 Bruised level. (2)
Regeneration: Demon reflexively heals 1 health level of lethal or bashing damage per turn. (3)
The Host: Blasphemous, whispering mouths inflict Strength+3 Aggravated damage during Grapple maneuvers. (2)

Virtues:
Conscience*
Conviction*
Courage****

Merits:
Atavistic Form: Shining noble dragon slayer, like Donatello's St. George. Inspires thoughts of Beowulf or other heroic cultural figure whose weapons failed them against great evil. The difficulty of all social rolls decreases by 1 while the Demon is interacting with mortals in Apocalyptic form. Additionally, the difficulty to resist the effects of Revelation is increased by 1. (-2)
Healthy Cynicism: Difficulty of detecting lies is reduced by 2. (-1)
Dreams of the Past: Storyteller can impart dreams from the Age of Wrath. Legacy roll difficulty reduced by 1 (-2)

Flaws:
Minor/Child: Looks under 21, because he is. (+3)
Probation: Spent time in a juvenile detention center. Foster parents work closely with a social worker and aren't above searching his room. (+2)
Overconfident: Storyteller may secretly add +2 difficulty to a non-combat action once per session. (+2)
Lustful: Baradiel doesn't quite fully comprehend just how much having a teenage host is coloring his perceptions. In short, he is dumb when it comes to women. +2 difficulty to resist manipulation by flirtation or seduction. (+2)

Faith: 5 [5 Temporary]
Torment: 4 [0 Temporary]
Willpower: 8 [8 Temporary]
Initiative: +7

Gear:
Small wardrobe
Sports equipment
Home-made star charts
Decent binoculars

Health Levels:
HealthyX+0
Bruised-+0
Hurt--1
Injured--1
Wounded--2
Maimed--2
Crippled--5
Incapacitated--

(15+4 Freebies: 2 Faith, 2 Ability, 3 Willpower
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Whipstitch wrote:Having Werewolf as the true cosmology means that your access to the Umbra is probably your character's biggest single advantage given that Quantum's mage is more of a techie than a spiritualist.
More that she doesn't have Spirit yet - that and Mind can both be used for Umbraventuring and are also the way you pull off making AI buddies. Avatar Storm still sucks though.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, magicians can certainly do that but wolves have very little opportunity cost in that area. In general Umbra shenanigans and punching people's teeth so hard they fly out the back of their heads is what werewolves are best at. I've never been all that impressed by werewolf Gifts but their base package of Willpower/Rage/Gnosis is pretty eclectic.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Awesome, Den isn't blocked at work! (Lunch break, not skiving off.)

Anyway, I finished one character picture last night (human form), I'll upload it to tinypic or something tonight, and see if I also do transformed form tonight and get that up there too.

I know what High Torment form will look like, but I can't see it ever becoming relevant (as much as the +2? Strength, +1 Stamina, +4 Soak (any), extra health level, Strength+2 Ag (and Torment in Bashing) attacks and all that might be if I *have* to fight by myself) - at least not for a while.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

My plan if a fight breaks out is to yell "HUUUUUUUUUGS!!!!" at people with a thousand hissing mouths.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think I'm going to say that Matter is required to patch up Vamps, and that Spirit is needed to patch up Aggravated wounds on Werewolves, but Life can heal bashing and lethal to Werewolves.

Demons are alive in most general senses, some would just be... confusing to medical professionals. They can do a lot to heal their host bodies, but wounds that killed have a tendency to stick around (strictly through rule of dramatic license though, so Koumei's character isn't a slinky-neck). In the novels, the main character scoured out like 40 years of nicotine and lung cancer from his host, but could never fully heal the bullet hole in his forehead. So, yeah, Life will heal Demons.

Conceivably Prime could be used to supercharge demons with Faith, but I'm thinking for sanity reasons that it will require a source of faith, so it's really more like a hyper powerful reaping flavoured like "Everyone say "Doctor" so he can defeat the Master!" (because I fucking hate the anime which did it first).

Looks good everyone. Just waiting to hear from my friend and need to do some prep work.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Tada! Civilian form:
And RADIANCE POWAA, MEIK APPU!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

@Prak

I was visualizing my apocalyptic form and realized how blindingly obvious it is that if my form is going to be able to reform its body and regenerate it should probably be related to the aspect that attacks people by doing this:

So I switched positions so Extra Actions is low torment and Regenerate is high torment. Lemme know if that's a problem.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, just be sure to read up on Demon healing, it's not as bad as being a Hunter or Mage (er, before Life sphere magic), but it can be a bit of a bitch. But it's fine by me.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Alright, so since I won't have to be replacing the Child flaw, I don't really need to shuffle around the merits and flaws at all except to add in the Sire-related ones, whose costs cancel each other out anyway. Cool.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a self-nerf but overall I'm not too worried. For one thing, half my character is incorporeal so there's situations where I might be able to escape total destruction even without healing. For another, healing is a essentially a reactive ability and there's relatively little buyer's remorse with taking on a point of torment to manifest scene long werewolf healing, whereas Extra Action is rather speculative; burning some of my spare Faith points to throw up an unpenalized Block (That works against blades thanks to Apocalyptic soak) is a decent trick but it's super hard to guess when it'd be worth taking on temporary torment for, if ever. So this trade probably works against me overall but it's close enough where I'm fine with flavor being the tie breaker.

I mean, if I was really interested in maxing out a combat form here I'd emphasize dex, get a gun and try to slide this by you instead:

Wings 4 Full flight
Improved Dexterity 3
Regeneration 4
Cloak of Darkness 3 Cross House premium but still good. If GM says no just take Extra Health Levels instead.
Corrosive Spit 2 Aggravated damage; perfect for melting werewolf face
Voice of the Damned 0 Go, go lowest bidders!
Sense Hidden 0
Improved Initiative 0

Oh, hey, it's a sneaky regenerating flying archer that is immune to mind control, borks illusions and his own personal globe of darkness (+2 difficulty to be hit)! Strictly speaking it's legal and 4 of its powers are actually typical of Qingu but that doesn't really make it sound any less like something Gary Gygax would have thrown at the party as they walked across a flat, featureless plain. There's still plenty of stuff that can beat it in an oWoD kitchen sink game but between the front-loading and how hard it wins in its narrow niche I never seriously entertained it.

Anyway, after reviewing the thread I realized I shorted myself 2 freebie points--I misread your bit about only having to buy off Short to be a slightly older teen rather than needing to buy off both Short and Child-- so I'm going to take those two points and bump my Willpower up another couple notches, which is sorta nice because that's enough to always look benevolent outside of my Monstrous form and I like the dichotomy angle.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, part of child is "you can't go to R movies, bars/nightclubs/strip clubs/etc" and such, so, yeah, older teens still get it.

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Talisman/Familiar: Mercury Computer

This organic handheld computer system was created as a favor to Dr. Kino, and acts as a sort of mentor to Amelia. Its Familiar spirit is a Jaggling underling of Hermes, a representation of both mystical knowledge and mischief, bound into the Tass-charged OS kernel. The Computer is dedicated to assisting Amelia in dealing with the Umbra, the Digital Web, and their denizens. It is also dedicated to playing irritating yet harmless pranks on people. It answers to "Computer", "Blasted Device", and "GlaDOS", none of which is its actual name. The system normally speaks in a young female voice, but can use any voice drivers provided to the system. When it decides to appear on screen, it usually uses the icon of Yuki Nagato from Haruhi Suzimiya because it thinks that's amusingly ironic.

As a Talisman, the Computer has the ability to analyze the surrounding area for Spirit activity. Most of its value here is simply having an Arete value and Quintessence storage for letting the Familiar access technomagical expansion modules and keep itself running.

As a material object, the Computer is a computer with a high speed internet connection created by Hacker Wizards. This gives it all sorts of powers that are completely coincidental because they aren't magic at all, and lets it act as a focus for arbitrary Virtual Adept rotes.

Type: Construct
Nature: Trickster
Attributes: Strength 1, Dexterity 1, Stamina 4 (Resilient), Charisma 1, Manipulation 2, Appearance 0, Perception 4 (Alert), Intelligence 3, Wits 1
Abilities: Awareness 4 (Spirits), Etiquette 3, Technology 2, Computer 3, Cosmology 5 (Realms)
Willpower 3
Essence 1/1
Arete 2
Quintessence 10/10
Resonance: Dynamic (Aware) *
Charms: Cyberpresence (3pt) (follows the Mage into the Digital Web as a copy of its material form with all powers), Illuminate (1pt) (is a flashlight), Read/Write (1pt), Jack In (2pt) (has internet wherever there's a cell signal), Soak Aggravated (2pt) (Stamina as soak vs. lethal and aggravated), Speech (1pt), Spirit Gossip (3pt) (can gather info from other spirits with Manipulation or Charisma + appropriate Ability)
Flaws: Immobile (5 pt), Tiny (2 pt)
Last edited by Quantumboost on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Soak Aggro is a 5pt. charm [edit] you also shorted yourself a freebie point, so you need two more points to cover the Soak Aggro thing.

And the art in mage books can be really fucking distracting....
Last edited by Prak on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Construct Familiars get Soak Lethal for free and can get Soak Aggro for 2 points.

As for freebie points... 17 from Background point + Flaws, 13 (3+1+1+2+2+1+3) spent on Charms. The remaining 4 were spent to get two extra points of Abilities, giving 17 total points of Abilities. Total Ability points used are 4+3+2+3+5 = 17. Attribute points above 1 also look like they match.

Did I miss anything?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, ok, my bad for skimming. Nope, I'm just bad at math, apparently.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

So, when is this happening? Is this still happening?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, given that my friend didn't mention the game at all last night while we were hanging out, I guess it either slipped her mind, or she doesn't intend to play. So we can start after I get some notes together and we figure out when is good for everyone. Anytime other than Thursday or Saturday night, and until Koumei's game finishes, Tuesday night, is fine for me, what about others?

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Korgan, looks like you forgot an auspice, or at least forgot to put it down, but looks like... Theurge? Also, can you put a separation between gifts and rites just for ease of reading?

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Prak_Anima wrote:Korgan, looks like you forgot an auspice, or at least forgot to put it down, but looks like... Theurge? Also, can you put a separation between gifts and rites just for ease of reading?
Yep, Theurge. Sorry about that, I'll edit the sheet.

As for times, Sunday nights through Thursday nights, US time, as late as possible, would be best for me, but I don't really have any major restrictions on my time for the next few weeks. I think that's Monday through Friday mornings in Australian time. I will be resuming school in the states in a few weeks time, but the times should still work out.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, regarding basic stuff for the game:

The High School is Marv Wolfman High, in SW Portland, OR (I just replaced the Jesuit high school, and renamed all the buildings and shit, some more obscurely than others). A new semester is about to start, and the school has a new principal, Mr. (Aaron) Charlotte, and got a new librarian a few years back, Mr. (Warren) Cavis, who settled in fairly well, but has a rather extensive collection of odd books, on such subjects as demonology and ancient religions. Also the english teacher, Mr. (Luke) Sepulk, is fairly controversial with the parents as he tends to teach books on the "we don't think kids should be reading these" list, such as Lord of the Flies, Paradise Lost, Frankenstein, and a collection of trickster and chaos god myths featuring Loki, Set, Coyote, etc.

Looks like we have two freshmen or sophomores (Megan and Amelia, both with birthdays right around the start of the semester), two sophomores or juniors (Isaac and Michael, both with birthdays midway through the semester), and the teacher (Thomas). So, given the birthday thing, I need people to pick what year they're in. Hell, if Cham and Whipstitch want to say they got held back or something so they're just old for freshmen and everyone's freshmen, I'm ok with that.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

So it turns out I had one point of Rites in my sheet up-thread, instead of the two I actually have, and I've edited the sheet to reflect that. Sorry.

Also, would it be okay if I took the flaws Curious and No Partial Transformations and spent the freebies on an extra point of gnosis and another point of Rites, to be spent on the Rite of Binding?
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I considered the possibility of having been held back a year when I was writing up my sheet and I am more than fine with it. Between adjusting to the blurring of personalities and time spent in a youth center it's plenty logical to think he was held back at some point.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I figure freshman here, what with the "was homeschooled/on the internet until this school year".

Re: times, any night other than Wednesday or Koumeigame night works. Pacific Time.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.