What are games like Mordheim that aren't Mordheim

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

What are games like Mordheim that aren't Mordheim

Post by OgreBattle »

Having a handful of models on each side skirmishing across a nicely decorated board, that kind of game.

I know of Necromunda of course. What are some other games at a similar scale?
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

From Games Workshop, there's Gorkamorka. That was bascially Orkromunda with vehicles, and never seemed to take off too well. I think the more open environments removing a lot of the strategy from the game was he main problem.

Also, Blood Bowl has the persistent "team" between games and the limited force size. I guess you could make a custom board that looked pretty snazzy ;D

Non-GW, Battletech has a campaign system and involves relatively few miniatures per side. It's a little clunky but has a certain old-school charm.

I think some of the newer wargames focus more on the skirmish side of things, but I haven't tried any to give an informed opinion.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Anima is small-team-skirmish, and has very pretty minis as well.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Well, there was Legends of the Old West and Legend of the High Seas, which (system-wise) were mashups of Mordheim and their LotR minis rules. And their LotR minis rules were quite skirmishy because they were based on the Fellowship-level fights (later efforts to shoehorn enormous battles into the engine were very clumsy).

Non-GW? I'd check out Skirmish Wagaming by Donald Featherstone. Or trawl this thread for minis games.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Malifaux is a pretty cool skirmish level wargame. Complete with eldritch horrors, steampunk spider swarms, and undead hookers.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

If you have deep pockets, there's always Dungeon Command.
Last edited by Doom on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Thanks, that's a big list to go through.

Anything specific to say about games lik Anima and such? How they play, how tactical it is (or is it more about list building, etc.)

Or links to battle reports.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I don't know how Anima plays, though there is an interesting thing about list building: you have two separate ways you can make your list.

Every mini has a faction, and a Light/Dark alignment (which is more in line with Law and Chaos in that it doesn't say anything about whether you're a "good guy" or "bad guy" or how nice you are or anything). You can either select from any faction, but all with the same alignment, or you can be of any alignment, but all from the same faction (plus mercenaries I think?)

Of note: every mini is a named character. So you don't have "Minion Dude # 43". By the same token, you can't have Burt, your personal special guy you levelled up over several games and customised.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

In my experience, which I admit is only a couple of games, Anima is kind of fast and brutal - I was surprised, because I expected the pieces to have more staying power. Jockeying for position to be able to make the first attack is a big deal.

Also, Anima does have unnamed minions, they just take up a lot less room in the books than the reams of named dudes, so they're easy to miss.

Oh, I just realized that friend of mine was going on about some games exactly like you wanted, but I was too sleepy at the time to pay attention. One was a point-buy superhero skirmish game, the other was a kind of pulp action skirmish game with apparently overpowered mummies. I'll see if I can track down some links for you.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is Anima like an "I go you go" thing or are there interrupts?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Discovered this recently.

Still in Kickstarter stage, but has rules, so *shrug*

And yeah, I decided to buy into it, because even if it sucks as a game, cool minis. Anime mecha + boobs for the win.