d20 Pokeymans Game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lol, I understand.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, given someone has already asked, I rolled up an array and I'll post it here while I remember what it is:
9, 13, 13, 13, 15, 17

Yes, I have 4d6 in my coat pocket even at work.

And we'll call it level 5 with HP of "First HD: maximum. The rest: the upper side of average (3 for a d4, 4 for a d6, 5 for a d8, 6 for a d10 and 7 for a d12)".

People can use that earlier list of races - if we end up with Pure Pokeymans, then just say "I'm a short/strong/agile/stocky/fire-resistant human because the town I grew up in has weird gravity and heat waves/because I spent too much time in Mount Moon/because I am, deal with it."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

How're we doing wealth? How much do TMs cost?

Edit, also, are we just all using that line, or is it "everyone roll, pick whichever you like best?"
Last edited by Prak on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

1. I'll get back to you regarding money.

2. TMs don't exist any more because there's like no way to balance them well or stay true to the options of the video games without a mountain of effort, and getting both is a joke.

I'm guessing that's worrying at first if you think of it from the video game perspective of "If I'm limited to just Psi-Dark-Ghost, I won't be landing Super-Effective hits on Fire, Water, Flying, Bug, Ground, Rock... and I'll have a hard time hurting Steel at all". But A) that's one of the big benefits to being a Pokemaster (being able to swap around), B) make good use of your class features and Eldritch Blast [Fire] that Steel bastard and C) there are five PCs, so five pokemon out at a time. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to cover all bases as a group.

It's only partly me being super-pissed at the database crashing (as TMs would have been keyed to those), but even so, they were going to be very expensive (post-Wish-economy for the most part).

3. Everyone can just use that line.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

K. Now I'm extremely tempted to switching to using the Gastly line, despite how terrible Poison/Ghost is...

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

At this rate we're going to end up with like 3 people with Gastlys.
bears fall, everyone dies
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I take it that we'll be starting at level 5 then? Cool. I'll whip up a character sheet draft for a Pokemaster 5.

As far as Pokemon, how many do we start with?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

@Whipstitch: Which is the other reason I'm not taking Gastly.

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Is there a rules listing I can read about how typed attacks work, and whatnot?

Also you may or may not wish to check out this. I basically just took Kaelik's revised Book of Gears items, and (in my opinion, anyway) cleaned them up a bit.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

For typed attacks, they're summed up in a spoiler at the bottom of this post.
Basically pokemon get one or two "[X] Pokemon Traits" qualities, as appropriate, which basically say "vulnerable to [Y] type attacks," "Resistant to [Z] type attacks," and "unaffected by [A] type attacks." Then attacks have types.
Ghost Pokemon Traits:
Ghost Type Pokemon are all Incorporeal, however their own attacks are all made as though with Ghost Touch Weapons. Their Natural Weapons are, however, of the [Ghost] Type, so Normal Type Pokemon are completely immune. Using the Pokemon Type rules, many things can actually affect them that could not in normal D&D, but you should probably apply a 50% Miss Chance so as to make Ghost Touch Weapons useful. Basically if it isn't specifically Dark or Ghost (or from an Incorporeal source) then it needs the Ghost Touch property (or similar) to not get the miss chance, but shit like "waving a torch" still has the capacity to hit at all. Unless their description states something specific regarding this, Ghosts can be Turned or Rebuked as though Undead, but they may treat their Charisma modifier (if positive) as Turn Resistance.
The following deal Double Damage: Dark, Ghost
Immune to: Normal, Fighting
The following deal Half Damage: Poison, Bug

Fire Pokemon Traits:
All Fire Pokemon radiate greater heat than normal for most creatures. They are effectively immune to mundane environmental heat and cold, and radiate sufficient heat that other creatures within 10' are also unaffected by environmental cold.
Immune to: Fatigue from heat, damage from being set on fire, the Burned condition.
The following deal Half Damage: Bug, Steel, Fire, Ice
The following deal Double Damage: Ground, Rock, Water

Electric Pokemon Traits:
All Electric Pokemon can generate usable electric power. Fine sized Pokemon generate sufficient power to run small hand held devices essentially perpetually. Diminutive Pokemon can power a number of light bulbs equal to their HD. Tiny Pokemon can power electronic and electrical devices of roughly equal size for a number of hours equal to their HD. Small Pokemon can run computers and televisions at the same rate, and medium and larger pokemon can power truly ridiculous sized electronics. This is assuming proper energy harnessing equipment, though handing your pikachu a power cord will basically work.
The following deal Half Damage: Flying, Steel, Electric
The following deal Double Damage: Ground

Bug Pokemon Traits:
All Bug Pokemon have a basic mundane utility depending on the bug they resemble. Spider-like pokemon can produce 1 lb of silk per HD per day, serviceable as rope or for making cloth items. Bee-, Moth-, or Butterfly-like pokemon can pollinate plants and collect nectar, producing 1 gallon per HD per day if allowed to roam and do so for 8 hours. Figure your own shit out for others if it isn't stated outright.
The following deal Half Damage: Fighting, Ground, Grass
The following deal Double Damage: Flying, Rock, Fire

Ice Pokemon Traits:
Ice Type Pokemon are immune to damage or fatigue from cold weather - including hail and blizzards. They can also see through hail, snow and mist (but not steam) just fine. They cannot be frozen solid and are immune to Dexterity damage. They also don't suffer Frostburn damage.
The following deal Double Damage: Fire, Fighting, Rock, Steel
The following deal Half Damage: Ice

Normal Pokemon Traits:
Normal Type Pokemon are just that: Normal. Not that they lack Supernatural abilities or anything, they're just creatures of the Prime.
The following deal Double Damage: Fighting
Immune to: Ghost

Fighting Pokemon Traits:
Fighting Type Pokemon are typically martial artists. Because of this, if they take levels in Monk, they can add their racial hit dice to their Monk Level for the purpose of figuring out what types of Fighting Styles they may take. Also, their natural weapons can score critical hits against Constructs, Objects, Fortified foes and Corporeal Undead. Their natural weapons are all [Fighting] effects.
The following deal Double Damage: Flying, Psychic
The following deal Half Damage: Bug, Rock, Dark

Rock Pokemon Traits:
Rock Type Pokemon are pretty much made of stone. They all have Tremorsense out to 30 feet, and are Immune to Critical Hits from anything that does not deal double damage. Their natural weapons are all [Rock] effects.
The following deal Double Damage: Ground, Steel, Fighting, Water, Grass
The following deal Half Damage: Normal, Fire, Poison, Flying

Flying Pokemon Traits:
All Flying Type Pokemon have a Fly Speed - if not included in the profile, it is 20' (Good) for Tiny or smaller Pokemon, 30' (Good) for Small to Large Pokemon, 40' (Average) for Huge or Gargantuan Pokemon or 60' (Clumsy) for anything bigger. Flying Type Pokemon usually fly, which puts them out of range for many attacks, but if they stand on the ground, an earthquake can still hurt them, and if you can throw mud into their face, it still has an actual effect. Their natural weapons are all [Flying] effects when they are actually flying.
The following deal Double Damage: Electric, Ice, Rock
The following deal Half Damage: Ground, Grass, Fighting, Bug

Water Pokemon Traits:
All Water Type Pokemon have a Swim Speed - if it isn't included in their profile, it's equal to their Land Speed. Water Type Pokemon also don't drown in water. They can't be set on fire or Burned, and their touch can douse any flame at least two size categories smaller than they are.
The following deal Double Damage: Electric, Grass
The following deal Half Damage: Fire, Water, Ice, Steel

Grass Pokemon Traits:
All Plant Type Pokemon are more-or-less plants. They are treated as Plant creatures by spells that specially effect Plant creatures, and they are never hindered by natural plants.
The following deal Double Damage: Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying, Bug
The following deal Half Damage: Water, Electric, Grass, Ground

Dark Pokemon Traits:
Dark Pokemon are attuned to the Plane of Shadow, the Negative Energy Plane, or the Lower Planes. It sort of depends. They are innately anti-magical and anti-psychic by nature, and almost all of them tend towards the sneaky, mean and evil. They are all immune to [Mind Affecting] effects, and can see through any darkness, even magical.
The following deal Double Damage: Bug, Fighting
The following deal Half Damage: Dark, Ghost
Immune to: Psychic

Steel Pokemon Traits:
Steel Type Pokemon are made of metal and are magnetic. They do not suffer Critical Hits from anything that doesn't deal Double Damage, due to being massive lumps of metal that is hard to find weaknesses in. Rust effects deal 1d6 Acid damage per hit die to them and leave them Slowed for one minute. Their natural weapons are all [Steel] effects.
The following deal Double Damage: Fire, Fighting, Ground
The following deal Half Damage: Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel
Immune to: Poison, Disease

Psychic Pokemon Traits:
Psychic Type Pokemon are... psychic. They have the [Psionic] Subtype, can hold a Psionic Focus, and can take [Psionic] Feats if they want.
The following deal Double Damage: Dark, Ghost, Bug
The following deal Half Damage: Psychic, Fighting

Dragon Pokemon Traits:
Dragon Type Pokemon are - get this - dragons! Woah, holy shit! Yeah. They count as creatures of the Dragon Type (even if they're actually Magical Beasts or something) for the purpose of being affected by things that target Dragons in special ways.
The following deal Double Damage: Ice, Dragon
The following deal Half Damage: Fire, Water, Electric, Grass

Ground Pokemon traits:
Ground Type Pokemon all have a Burrow Speed. If not listed in the specific entry, it is equal to half their base Movement Speed. They also have Darkvision 60', Low Light Vision and 30' Tremorsense.
The following deal Double Damage: Water, Grass, Ice
The following deal Half Damage: Rock, Poison
Immune to: Electric

Fire Attacks:
Attacks tagged [Fire] deal double damage to Bug, Steel, Grass and Ice Pokemon. They deal half damage to Rock, Fire, Water and Dragon Pokemon. There is a chance that flammable objects in the area of a fire attack will catch flame and burn - unless noted, unattended objects will catch fire. Many [Fire] attacks will cause creatures to catch fire on a failed Reflex Save or suffer from a Burn on a failed Fortitude Save.

Fighting Attacks:
Attacks tagged [Fighting] deal double damage to Rock, Steel, Ice, Normal and Dark Pokemon. They deal half damage to Flying and Psychic Pokemon. Ghost Pokemon are completely immune. [Fighting] attacks deal full damage to all objects and Constructs, and ignore their Hardness and Damage Reduction - they can also score critical hits against such things (and indeed, every attack against an unattended object is a critical hit).

Psychic Attacks:
Attacks tagged [Psychic] deal double damage to Poison and Fighting Pokemon. They deal half damage to Psychic and Steel Pokemon. Dark Pokemon are completely immune. [Psychic] attacks typically use invisible psychic energy, though when they pick objects up with telekinesis it starts to become obvious, and the eyes glow bright blue when activating (but not sustaining) [Psychic] effects.

Ghost Attacks:
Attacks tagged [Ghost] deal double damage to Ghost and Psychic Pokemon. They deal half damage to Steel and Dark Pokemon. Normal Pokemon are completely immune. [Ghost] attacks utilise eerie darkness, and if used within an area of darkness of shadowy illumination, the attacks are effectively invisible even to those who can see in darkness - there is no visible difference between normal darkness and the shadowy [Ghost] effects.

Ice Attacks:
Attacks tagged [Ice] deal double damage to Plant, Ground, Flying and Dragon Pokemon. They deal half damage to Water, Fire, Ice and Steel Pokemon. [Ice] attacks typically deal Cold damage and often cause Dexterity Damage, Fatigue, Slow or even freeze enemies solid, rendering them Paralysed/Helpless.

Normal Attacks:
Attacks tagged [Normal] deal half damage to Rock and Steel Pokemon, and are ignored completely by Ghost Pokemon.

Burned:
A Burned Pokemon has received horrible burns from a fire attack and takes 1d6 points of fire damage per turn, and its Damage rolls receive a penalty equal to the HD of the Pokemon that inflicted the burn.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, that works, 4 Minor Items.

As for the Super/Not Very Effective thing, in the other thread we were discussing the idea of:

Even if it's Super Duper Effective (Electric vs Gyarados, Ice vs Dragonite) it's only one level of Super Effective. Likewise even if it's Fucking Ineffective (Fighting vs Floobat), it's only one level of Not Very Effective.

Also, instead of just double/half damage (which can make Typing more relevant than actual abilities, level and such), it becomes "Super Effective: +4 to the Attack Roll/Save DC, +(your HD) to damage" and "Not Very Effective: -4 to the Attack Roll/Save DC, -(their HD) from damage".
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What about "functions as in game, but outright killing is very fucking uncommon, to the point that wild pokemon only do it for food, and trainers face murder raps, so typically you're just knocked out, and it takes an explicit decision by the attacker for you to die?"

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I prefer what Koumei said, that way steel isn't completely over-the-top overpowered defense and ice isn't over-the-top overpowered offense (and the weakest possible 'mon for defense).

Yeah, the type chart makes behaving identical to the games a problem.
Last edited by Surgo on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

My issue isn't with lethality, it's with 1d6+3 Fire damage turning into 4d6+12 Fire damage and 1-shotting something literally twice your level, and with "Okay, I do a point of damage again" "You didn't roll" "I don't need to". Also the bit where non-damaging moves basically needn't have types.

So while it's good to have an Ice attack, because you can more easily freeze people solid (bonus to save DC) and reliably hurt flying crap, plants, dragons and ground things, it won't be "Yay, I walk around doing 2-4x damage to like half the things we ever meet!" Likewise "I am Psychic Steel and I float above the ground. I take literally half damage from Normal, Water, Ice, Flying, Rock, Dragon, Grass... oh and I'm immune to Ground and Poison, and I take 1/4 damage from Psychic attacks. Suck it up."

At the end of the day, we can't both have a fun, balanced d20 game and also stay 100% true to the Pokemon video games.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fair enough, I like the +/-4 atk, +/-HD to dam, and can get on with the only super, not super duper effective, I suppose. Means that Ghost/Poison isn't completely boned by the very things ghost is supposed to be good against.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

FWIW, I'm now sort of leaning towards a monk and being a de facto move tutor--I figure my character could go with things like disabling punches and defense/mobility styles while working towards a Sonic AoE master style for a pokemon that rocks a good number of attacks like Bisharp or Drillbur. I guess you could say that I have a slightly inane and irrational preference for keeping the really flashy effects on my pokemon rather than my trainer.

You know, actually, I think I want a tyrogue-Hitmontop.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I'm being a Worldthought Medic (a mindbullet class) with a Croagunk partner. I'm the team medic, I guess (but not as good as cleric). I can also suck the life out of foes to do so.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I am a Ninja with a Gastly. I will give you a character sheet soon.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

For completeness sake: Warlock with Sandile and the ability to also call up pretty much any other controllable dark type.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Whipstitch wrote: You know, actually, I think I want a tyrogue-Hitmontop.
Works for me. Given you have an advanced-HD Tyrogue...

*looks at movelist for Tyrogue*

Well, they get Fake-Out, so sure, give 'em "Me First" as a Bonus Feat (page 3 of the Moar Pokeymans thread).

And as Hitmontop advances, it will certainly gain something. I'll get back to you on that.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Boosh.

Pokemaster with Kirlia, Magnemite (with an Int score and hence Levitate/actual ranks in Craft (Metalwork)), Eevee, and Joltik... for now. Klink, Porygon and Beldum evo chains eventually, along with "whatever else I can get my hands on".

Feats to come. Are we handling magic item crafting without feats like in Surgo's link, or do I still take CWI/CMA&A?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Remember to increase an ability score by 1 due to hitting 4th level.

Yeah, don't worry about taking the feats for it.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I'm almost tempted to make a character based off Jared...

Knight with exotic proficiency (magicarp) and probably starting a power attack chain or something.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

doooo itttttttttttt.........