You do fucking win at D&D.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

icyshadowlord wrote:He might have deliberately changed them to hide his true identity, you know.
He never did that with the other clones, though, that's why they are recognizable. And Psychic Robot posted here well before Roy went insane/career troll in the first place.
Last edited by FatR on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Mr. GC wrote:I see that I have overestimated you yet again.

Fine job on trolling the fuck out of yourselves though.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

FatR wrote:I don't think that Psychic Robot is a Royclone. His vocabulary and posting manners are different.
I know that Roy/Psychic Robot/Crusader of Logic are the same person. We had a brief interboard feud about something stupid. It seems that Mr. GC is another alias.

Roy seems to like to change up his writing style when using different alts. Part of me fears he is also shadzar, but I hold out hope that shadzar is someone with a genuine cognitive disorder.

EDIT: Originally wrote mental where I wanted cognitive.
Last edited by Juton on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Well, at least the thread became mildly amusing again.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Kaelik wrote:...the party having even a chance of dying is bad, not good.
:rofl:
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

All the talk of basket weavers has me wondering if I'm the only one here who has physically weaved an actual basket before.
bears fall, everyone dies
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Whipstitch wrote:All the talk of basket weavers has me wondering if I'm the only one here who has physically weaved an actual basket before.
I've knitted socks, but no baskets I'm afraid.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Juton wrote: I know that Roy/Psychic Robot/Crusader of Logic are the same person. We had a brief interboard feud about something stupid. It seems that Mr. GC is another alias.
No. Roy, Sunic Flames, Crusader of Logic, and Lord GC are all the same person. Psychic Robot is a different person. Psychic Robot and Roy are both trolls, but they have burrs up their ass about completely different things. Psychic Robot's meltdown happened because he is (or at least was) deeply into weird nativist right-wing politics, and began spamming the board with hate-filled fascist rhetoric. This is not something that Roy would do, because while Roy hates many people he does not particularly hate "hippies" as far as anyone can tell.

What I think is interesting about Roy's tirades is how completely divorced they are from the written rules. For all his rants about "hard mode", you basically can't even find a portion of the game that he does not houserule into incomprehensibility. What he offers is in essence the kind of monte haul craziness that most of us played when we were 14. You get to play a character with all 18 stats and you get attacked by demon lords at level 7 and not die because you can count on having super monsters as pets, use dubious and even laughable rule interpretations, and get showered with artifacts from day 1.

No doubt the party's wealth by level is utterly insane in no small part because he lets people keep all the gear of fallen characters while bringing in new characters with starting WBL. Because he long ago admitted that his treatment of wealth guidelines was exactly that insane. But on this thread he confirmed that it wasn't enough to simply accrue vastly more wealth in the PCs' hands than the game is nominally budgeted for - but he absolutely insists on players being able to buy things that should not by even the most generous interpretation of rules or settings even exist to be purchased at garage sale prices.

The reason his proclamations about D&D make so little sense is that he's basically not playing D&D in any way we'd recognize. He's pretty much playing

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

hyzmarca wrote:
Whipstitch wrote:All the talk of basket weavers has me wondering if I'm the only one here who has physically weaved an actual basket before.
I've knitted socks, but no baskets I'm afraid.
I've woven baskets. I've also taught underwater basketweaving (srsly).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The most complicated thing I've ever woven was a placemat, I think.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Do I also teach people how to cast real spells Frank? Huh? Huh? Do I?

You know, since you know so very much about me that you can think to go on rants that never stopped being wholly presumptuous beginning to end and know so very much about the sorts of games I run and play in as well.

I don't even have to attack you when you say stupid shit like that. I can just look at your post, lol, and optionally share it with others who would appreciate the humor of you making a fool of yourself. Again.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Juton wrote: I know that Roy/Psychic Robot/Crusader of Logic are the same person. We had a brief interboard feud about something stupid. It seems that Mr. GC is another alias.
No. Roy, Sunic Flames, Crusader of Logic, and Lord GC are all the same person.
I'm really not certain of that. If you read straight through, GC is basically a cleverbot. He makes some vague claim, challenges everyone to match it, then declares that anyone who does isn't quite good enough. About a page later, that solution miraculously shows up as his stalking horse du jour (du page?). That's neat for him, since he can own it for as long as its beneficial, and cut ties when it isn't.

Similarly, when some guy asks privately if he's $well_regarded_poster, and he answers "I don't like to be associated with that name anymore," it sure looks like the same behavior: he's stealing someone else's mantle, for as long as it's convenient.

Sure, he does show some of the same mannerisms and damages as Roy, but so do lots of folks. Ask yourself this: would Roy have gone this long without saying "smite"? Would Roy be able to say 'fail' less than every fourth word? Especially since he's gotten fairly worked up here.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Let's confront Cleverbot! wrote: User: Yo.

Cleverbot: My name is Cleverbot and you?

User: I have many names.

Cleverbot: Interesting... Tell me one of your many names.

User: Supposedly Roy. Also you.

Cleverbot: Say something clever.

User: Basket weaver.

Cleverbot: What's your favorite basketball team?
Nah, I think cleverbot is actually a basket weaver. I don't deal in random tangents.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

FrankTrollman wrote:No. Roy, Sunic Flames, Crusader of Logic, and Lord GC are all the same person. Psychic Robot is a different person. Psychic Robot and Roy are both trolls, but they have burrs up their ass about completely different things.
I learn something new everyday, I would have sworn Roy = PR. I guess I should apologize to PR if he's reading, I doubt he'd like to be lumped in with all of Roy's aliases.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I'm sure PR would chuckle, and/or make a joke about killing people.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

I wove a basket at scout camp once, I'm pretty sure.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

fectin wrote:Ask yourself this: would Roy have gone this long without saying "smite"? Would Roy be able to say 'fail' less than every fourth word? Especially since he's gotten fairly worked up here.
Sure. Find/replace 'fail' with 'basketweaver'. Done.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Right, so this long bullshit tangent by the basket weavers (or fails, if you'd prefer) aside, what have those capable of learning learned?

1: It is possible to both succeed and to fail at D&D, and there are plenty of examples of both starting by taking a look around you.
2: Most tabletop gamers, being incompetent cry up an entire river of denial regarding this.
3: Hilarity ensues.
4: Most people here, being incompetent are completely incapable of dealing with even simple, basic scenarios that do not actually work as outlaid, such as the sub 60 HP no defenses target who Lightning Bolts a maximum of half the party and yet somehow kills all of it before they kill him.
5: Basket weavers are as bad as people as they are bad as gamers, illustrated by certain remarks here from their side. In particular, the armchair shrink remarks... even if "I went to medical school, honest!" actually meant anything, and even if it were about an aspect of medical treatment that were actually relevant instead of one of the many dozens that are not relevant to the subject as a trained mental health professional Frank would know it's outright dangerous to make such diagnoses without being able to personally interact with the patient making his entire imagined scenario that everyone just took as gospel to be a catch 22 - if he were qualified to call me crazy he wouldn't fucking do it.
[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]: Wishing death on anyone is forbidden. [/TGFBS]
Last edited by Mr. GC on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Mr. GC wrote:Right, so hurr durr de durr basket weaver HURR DURR DUR DA DURRRR!!11
There, fixed it for you.
Last edited by virgil on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

virgil wrote:Right, so hurr durr de durr basket weaver HURR DURR DUR DA DURRRR!!11
There, fixed it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b91BWzL ... ure=relmfu

This is extremely apt.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Mr. GC wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b91BWzL ... ure=relmfu

This is extremely apt.
For those who can't be bothered to click on the link, it goes to a youtube video about the game Darksouls. In the video the author makes the case that some games shouldn't have an easy mode. I really like the author, one EpicNameBro, his videos about the intricacies of Dark Souls are both entertaining and informative.

I would like to extend a challenge to Mr. GC. Make a Youtube video that shows the 'right' way for us to play D&D. Make it both informative and entertaining.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

The main point of it was that part about the difficulty being the game, with the basket weaver whining dynamic a close second.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Mr. GC wrote:The main point of it was that part about the difficulty being the game, with the basket weaver whining dynamic a close second.
Look, when about 10 pages ago I said that you want to play D&D like a videogame and then mocked you by calling what you do "lunatic mode" or "nightmare mode" and gave you an achievement... This is about the second or third time in this thread where I made some exaggerated claims for parody purposes just for you to come later and demonstrate that you really act like that. This feels weird, man. It's like calling you a motherfucker and you answering with "Yes, and? Mom loves it."

Well, here it is, Den: By the clown's own admission, he admires and wants to emulate the REAL TALK culture associated with competitive gaming in a cooperative game genre. His attitude is more ridiculous than parody. I don't think there's something else to be said here.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Yes, because those orcs really aren't trying to kill your character. Oh wait, they totally are, and you are competing to not make that happen.

You did manage to hit on just why tabletop gaming is so near universally bad. This notion that "It's a cooperative game, so it's cooperative in all ways at all times and therefore people are adverse to good play."

In actuality it's cooperative because you work with your party, but you still work against those enemies, over there. And that's where effectiveness comes in.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Mr. GC wrote:Yes, because those orcs really aren't trying to kill your character. Oh wait, they totally are, and you are herp de derp hurr durr.
Except you don't even follow the damn rules. You essentially never have a CR 9 monster actually use the stats of a roc, or a CR 7 use the numbers of a dire bear; their AC is going to be five higher, their damage is going to be half-again as high, their bonus to hit will be higher. You'll throw a monster with 22 AC, 90hp, +14/+14 (2d8+9) attack routines, and their lowest save is +7; and you'll say it's a CR 5, and you'd consider any level 7 player a basket weaver if they can't reliably solo four of them in a closet.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I've woven a coupla baskets- but they weren't any good. Must explain my lingering fondness for oWoD.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.