Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #6: Deathtrap Dungeon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should we do if we die in this?

Restart from last point we were alive
50%
Restart from beginning
25%
End the madness
No votes
Start another book
25%

Total votes: 12

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

In that case, I say grab that sword! Errol Flynn ain't afraid of no worms! Rot grubs Shmot grubs...
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK.)

Taking a deep breath, you lean over the pit and plunge your forearm into the mass of wriggling worms. They are cold and clammy and feel extremely nasty, but at least they are harmless and you are able to seize the dagger by the hilt. You give it a hard tug and it comes away from the crack in which the tip was embedded. Admiring its beauty, and wondering whether it might have once belonged to some luckless contestant, but put the opal-studded dagger firmly in your belt and leave the cavern.

(Hopefully we're still Robin Hood, but given the dungeon we've been running through we might be Cary Elwes' doctor character from Saw.)

As you make your way back to the doorway, the buzzing sound increases in intensity, and you look around desperately to discover where it is coming from. Glancing up in the nick of time, you see the huge and grotesque form of a GIANT FLY emerging from a recess high up in the cavern wall. As it gets closer, you realize that it is at least one and a half meters long. Its opaque wings vibrate, making the sickening buzzing noise you can hear, and its six black hairy legs are poised to grasp your body. Below its multifaceted eyes is a long, shiny black proboscis, which darts in and out venomously. You have stolen the Giant Fly's treasure from her brood of maggots, and you must take the consequences. Test your Luck.

(natural 12, we are Unlucky. Well, there's a first for everything, eh?)

The Giant Fly dives down and seizes you with four of its legs. It climbs quickly back to the roof of the cavern and you find yourself dangling helplessly from the floor, landing heavily. Roll 1 die and deduct the result from your STAMINA score.

(3, we're at 14.)

If you are still alive, you draw your sword just in time as the Giant Fly swoops down to try and recapture you.

(If people want, I will allow us to pop our potion or some Meals right now, before the fight with the Fly.)

You manage to evade the outstretched legs of the diving Giant Fly. Stepping back, you draw your sword and prepare to fight the hideous insect as it turns to attack you again.

GIANT FLY SKILL 7 STAMINA 8

You may Escape by running back to the tunnel to head north.

Do we wish to squash this bug, or swallow our pride, take 2 damage, and run away?

Errol Flynn (as portrayed by Cary Elwes)
SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 6/12
Equipment: Leather Armor, Sword, Opal-Studded Dagger
Gems: Emerald
Gold Pieces: 2
Provisions: 3 Meals (+4 STAMINA each)
Potions: Potion of Fortune (restores LUCK to full and increases Initial value by 1)
Running total of deaths: 2
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I consider myself a man of peace, so I say let's cut that muthafucka, and let 'em bleed while we piss in his wounds.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Then let's shank this bug bitch in the face bone exoskeleton!)
Fly: 13
You: 17 (Fly is at 6 ST)
Fly: 11
You: 13 (Fly is at 4 ST)
Fly: 9
You: 14 (Fly is at 2 ST)
Fly: 14
You: 11 (at 12 ST)
Fly: 18
You: 12 (at 10 ST)
Fly: 14
You: 19 (Fly is dead.)
(Much easier than those giant birds.)

You wipe the yellow slime from the blade of your sword and walk quickly to the door, back into the tunnel and head north.

The tunnel ends shortly at a junction. Looking left and right, you see a narrow passage disappearing into the dim distance.

Do you wish to head west or go east?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 10/19
LUCK 6/12
Potions: Potion of Fortune (restores LUCK to full and increases Initial value by 1)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

There is only one option:

Go West! Life is peaceful there
Go West! In the open air
Go West! Where the skies are blue
Go West! This is what we're gonna do
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Shit those lyrics be dope as hell.)
(Fun fact: I have a scanner but am too lazy to use it so I've been just Googling the illustrations; most if not all are available online somewhere.)

Ahead you hear the sound of rocks being ground and crushed. The noise grows louder and suddenly you realize that the wall on your right is starting to collapse. Terrified, you watch as a large, hideous worm-like creature with a gaping mouth and extraordinarily powerful mandibles slithers through a hole in the wall. Its great jaws continue to crunch the rock as it turns its head slowly from side to side, feeling the cool air in the tunnel. It appears to be totally blind, but seems to know of your presence, perhaps sensing the heat of your body. It starts to slither towards you with its mandibles wide apart to attack.

Do you wish to fight the ROCK GRUB or would you rather turn back down the tunnel to the junction to turn east?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 10/19
LUCK 6/12
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Should have chowed a meal before going on. This might be one of those occasions for Brave Sir Robin to run away.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We're not fighting yet, apparently we notice the purple worm Trapinch ROCK GRUB some while off; we can pop some rations if we want.

Which is kind of hilarious, really; I imagine our suicidal intrepid hero just sitting down on a picnic blanket, asking the worm to wait while we finish off some more of our delicious jellied eel pies.

But the vote to flee bravely will is duly noted. Any other viewers, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You walk down the passage and soon find yourself standing at the edge of a deep, dark pit. The passage continues east on the other side of the pit. You think you could probably jump over the pit, but you are not sure. There is a rope hanging down from the ceiling over the center of the pit. Will you:

Throw your shield over the pit and jump after it?
Jump over the pit carrying all of your possessions?
Reach for the rope with your sword to enable you to swing across the pit?

(We have a shield? The opening mentioned nothing about that. Will add it to our Adventure Sheet.)

(Also, do we still want to chow down and/or chug our potion?)

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 10/19
LUCK 6/12
Equipment: Leather Armor, Sword, Shield, Opal-Studded Dagger
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

We're really getting hammered. I'd say it's about time to chug our potion, and eat two of our remaining meals.

Then lets get that rope.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I agree with Endevior. Were this an RPG I'd say "tug the rope a few times to see if it is firm and not oiled or whatever", because I don't trust it, but given the options presented it seems the least stupid.

And yeah, potion and two meals.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK.)

Gripping the rope firmly, you step back to take a running jump. However, in the dim light you fail to notice that someone has cut the rope almost in two just a little bit above the section you are holding. As you swing across the pit it suddenly breaks, and you scream with fear as you plunge into the depth below.

(Oh shit. At least it's not a game over.)

You land heavily on your back, but luckily your backpack cushions the fall. Lose 1 SKILL and 2 STAMINA points. The darkness is almost pitch black at the bottom of the pit, and you crawl along the floor, groping in front of you. Suddenly your hand touches something cold, hard, and smooth. The object is small and round, but you cannot figure out what it is. You place it in your backpack, hoping to see what it is once out of the pit. You crawl forward and soon reach the pit wall. It is too smooth to climb, and you have to cut hand- and toe-holds in it with your sword. This takes a long time, but finally you climb out of the pit on the east side. You immediately check out the object in your backpack, and discover that you have found an orb of blood-red ruby. You are absolutely delighted and head off east in high spirits, whistling softly under your breath.

(Didn't expect that to happen. Yay, I guess?)

The tunnel makes a sudden left turn and continues north for as far as you can see. You soon arrive at a closed wooden door in the left-hand wall.

Do you wish to open the door or keep going north?

SKILL 7/10
STAMINA 16/19
LUCK 13/13
Gems: Emerald, Ruby
Provisions: 1 Meal (+4 STAMINA)
Potions: None
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Bah. Open the door, I guess.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The door opens into a large, candle-lit room filled with the most extraordinarily lifelike statues of knights and warriors. A white-haired old man dressed in tattered rags jumps out from behind one of the statues and starts to giggle. Although he looks like a fool, the sparkle in his eyes makes you think there is more to him than is apparent. In a high-pitched voice he says, "Oh good, another stone for my garden. I'm glad you've come to join your friends. Now, I'm a fair man and so I'll ask you a question. If you answer correctly, I'll let you go free - but if you answer wrong, I'll turn you to stone!" He starts to chuckle again, obviously pleased with your arrival. Will you:

Wait for his question?
Attack him with your sword?
Make a run for the door?

SKILL 7/10
STAMINA 16/19
LUCK 13/13
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Wow, three sucker options.

Bet this wizard can kill us pretty easily, fight or run... but we might be able to use our luck on the question, so we'll wait.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Let's play Dungeoncrawl Jeopardy!

I hope it's this one!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The old man points at one of the statues, and you recognize it immediately. It is the knight who started the Trial of Champions, the agonized look on his face locked in stone for eternity. The old man smiles, saying, "This man weighs 100 pounds plus half his weight. How much does he weigh?" What will you answer?

100 pounds?
150 pounds?
200 pounds?
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Well, the correct answer is 200, let's go with that.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Agreed, the correct answer is 200, so if it really is a simple math/logic question and not some silly trick, that should result in the money.

"What is 200, Trebek?"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Still smiling, the old man looks at you and says, "Well done, Stranger. You have answered correctly. I wish you good fortune during the rest of the Trial of Champions, and, to this end, I shall increase your powers." He then mutters a few more unintelligible words and you feel a powerful surge soar through your body. Add 1 to each of your SKILL, STAMINA, and LUCK scores. You bid the old man farewell and leave his room to continue north along the passage.

(Old Man: You answered correctly. You wagered, "Suck it, Trebek?")

Only a few meters further down the passage, you see another closed door in the left-hand wall. The letter X is scratched into its center panel. Putting your ear to the door, you listen intently but can hear nothing.

Do you wish to open the door or keep walking north?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 17/19
LUCK 13/13
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I say keep heading North.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

No, I dislike the North and their damn oppressive taxes. I say open the door to Southern independence and dominance.

(open the door, basically)

Also, I say that we say to the old man,
"My name's not 'stranger'. It's Flynn. Errol Flynn... Bitch."
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Goodbye, Flynn Erroll Flinn Bitch," the old man shouts back to you as you head down the tunnel.

(There's a tie, so I think we have to go with the Confederacy reference.)

The door opens into a large room.
You look around the room and see nothing of interest apart from an alcove in the west wall and a stone chair in the middle of the room. Sitting in the chair is the skeleton of an armed warrior, possibly a contestant from years gone by. The skeletal fingers of its right hand are gripped round a piece of parchment.

Do you wish to take the parchment from the skeleton or rather walk over to the alcove?
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Take the parchment! There is no way the skeleton will animate and attack as a result!
Last edited by Ikeren on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Inorite?)

Touching the parchment has precisely the effect you had feared. The skeleton lurches forward and, rising from its chair in a series of jerky movements, raises its sword to strike you. Lunging sideways, you draw your sword to defend yourself.

SKELETON WARRIOR SKILL 8 STAMINA 8
Skeleton: 10
You: 15 (skeleton's at 6)

Skeleton: 10
You: 15 (really, same results again, skeleton's at 4)

Skeleton: 19
You: 15 (we're at 15)

Skeleton: 16
You: 20 (skeleton's at 2)

Skeleton: 13
You: 16 (skeleton is double-dead.)
Thou hast defeated the SKELETON WARRIOR.
Thy EXP increases by 0.
Thy GOLD increases by 0.

(If our character feared it coming back from the dead, why didn't it let us cut its head off before grabbing the parchment? Just one of life's little mysteries, I suppose. At least the fight was easy.)

Once again you reach for the parchment, only this time it is lying amidst a pile of broken bones. Unfolding it, you see a map of a room with a drawing of a hideous creature inside it. Beneath the monster is a rhyme that reads:
Should you meet the Manticore,
Of its tail beware.
Shield yourself against the spikes
Flying through the air.
You fold up the piece of parchment and put it in your backpack. Repeating the rhyme over and over to yourself, you walk across to the alcove.

At the back of the alcove are some steps leading down into a cellar. Cobwebs brush your face as you descend. The cellar ceiling is quite low, and the floor is strewn with rubbish and debris. In the middle of the wall opposite you is an archway which leads into another crystal-lit tunnel. There are large mushrooms growing on the rubbish to your right.

Do you want to step through the archway or stop and eat some of the mushrooms?

(I almost didn't want to list this choice, as eating mushrooms is never a good idea in gaming unless you're Mario.)

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 15/19
LUCK 13/13
Other: Manticore Parchment