I want an explorer fantasy RPG

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Almaz
Knight

I want an explorer fantasy RPG

Post by Almaz »

So here's my secret personal desire in terms of RPG systems. I want a system that systematizes and rewards exploring a fantasy world, that ideally leverages the combined storytelling talents of the table (with frequent reference to the authority of a referee or master bard or whatever) in order to create an interesting and compelling backdrop for the setting. Not a book, but a shared experience of finding out more and more about the world you are in. One that likewise challenges and commands the players to survive in hostile and adverse environments, where monsters are far less of a threat than your relative supply of food and water. In short, I want the RPG form of me going hiking for a weekend, including the psychedelic environs because of the acid.

And I have no idea if anyone else ever would want this, a game about scavenging, struggling, and overcoming nature. The last time I read a "man against nature" story that people were actually talking about, it was Hatchet, and Survivorman and Bear Grylls don't seem to be doing all that well off lately.

Anyone? Bueller? Is this just my personal perverse fantasy, or do other people actually care for this notionally? Can exploration and struggling with the nature ever be something that is not just skipped by 5th level?
Last edited by Almaz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Re: I want an explorer fantasy RPG

Post by OgreBattle »

Almaz wrote: Anyone? Bueller? Is this just my personal perverse fantasy, or do other people actually care for this notionally? Can exploration and struggling with the nature ever be something that is not just skipped by 5th level?
I would really like to know what kind of rules and dice roll modifiers would make a game feel as intense as Bowser's Castle, but I don't know either :l

Killing a monster is something I understand, making hopping over chasms, dodging whomp rocks, and running past collapsing bridges work for a party based tabletop campaign, beaaaats me.
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

Sounds a bit like the original Outdoor Survival, albeit with an objective of "find new stuff" rather than "get out of the wilderness". The similar Trapper (you play a beast-skinning mountain man in the Canadian wilds and score points for getting canoes of skins to rendezvous) may also be of interest from a design perspective.

I understand some old(er) school RPGs incentivised slogging around in the sticks by rewarding being the first to discover new things, or even awarding XP per mile of distance travelled overland. RoleMaster and MERP spring to mind here.

One problem I anticipate is that it might be hard to make pure man-vs-environment 'scarcity and hardship' stories interesting in RPG terms. Stuff like Bear Grylls, Dual Survival, or even the story of the Donner Party are ultimately a bit boring in narrative terms. ("They all die, or not.")
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I hope you know how to read Japanese, because you're describing Ryuutama, a Japanese TTRPG.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

Mask_De_H wrote:I hope you know how to read Japanese, because you're describing Ryuutama, a Japanese TTRPG.
This is what I've studied for years for.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I'd like to see this as a game (or minigame) where the concept is married to the "Legendary Locations" bit. So if you kill the Red Dragon at the heart Mt. Wannafakya, you only become King Shit of Fire Island if you've also A. mapped the island and B. completed 3 of the optional Fire Island encounters.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

Yeah, I think even if it's the fundamental aspect of the game it needs to have a strong backdrop of "why" and players can decide whether their characters are in it for the adventure or the gold in them thar hills. Gaining mystical powers for "owning" an island or having fonts of magical resources is always a good incentive.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Almaz wrote:One that likewise challenges and commands the players to survive in hostile and adverse environments
with the exception of this part, have you tried D&D?

D&D can do everything you require, but it challenges the characters from the player's POV rather than challenging the players themselves to explore hostile environments.

any version of D&D will work, you jsut need to find the right group of people to play with that dont get hung up on the optimization, numbers, monsters, horseshit that often makes people forget what the point of D&D was. a game system that gave you basics, and lets you adapt it to your own playstyle.

everything you want can be done with D&D, and the right group of like-minded people.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

shadzar wrote:obnoxious shadzar bullshit
Dude I've been playing D&D since last fucking century. No, it doesn't do what I want. Fuck off, shadzar. And giving a suggestion that applies "with the exception of the part you're specifically looking to emulate" is idiotic.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Almaz wrote:
shadzar wrote:obnoxious shadzar bullshit
Dude I've been playing D&D since last fucking century. No, it doesn't do what I want. Fuck off, shadzar. And giving a suggestion that applies "with the exception of the part you're specifically looking to emulate" is idiotic.
then you dont know how to play D&D, so go suck a barrel of cocks, or just go back to the SA forums where you probably came from.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)