long term asymmetric games

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

belkalra
NPC

long term asymmetric games

Post by belkalra »

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker

I am currently working on a game(the specifics of which are entirely tangential to the topic at hand) when I realized that I have never encountered a tabletop game that has a long term(meaning multiple sessions) 2-player game that isn't an occupation.

Can anyone think of any examples?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wait, wha? First of all, two player rpgs are almost entirely either wank fodder/foreplay, or suck. There is pretty much no point to a game with fewer than three characters.

Second, what do you mean by occupation?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
belkalra
NPC

Post by belkalra »

what I mean is there are no long term games I can think of off the top of my head (and I could be phrasing this wrong) that have 2 sides that exist for several play session.

for instance, the game would have people playing team hero and other people playing team monster. each side would have different objectives, and a third party to adjudicate the outcome. However, as the game takes a long amount of real time (months), there are very few total kill options on either side.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Risk: Legacy is... close to what you want. Maybe. It has you playing Risk and then marking up the board as you go so that all future plays on that board now have slightly altered rules based on past games.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

World in Flames is basically World War II in about real time. It's usually played with several players on each side, but the minimum is one player playing the Axis and the other player playing the Allies.

-Username17
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

This is a video game and not a tabletop game, but one of the story/campaign modes of IL-2: 1946 works this way. You control the war's aerial (and naval) battles, and it goes whatever which way from how well either side does.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

There are a couple games where someone ran an evil campaign for six months, then collected character sheets and started a good campaign in the same setting (or vice versa). That's kind of similar.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
belkalra
NPC

Post by belkalra »

thank you for your suggestions, I will look them up
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Houses of the Blooded is an RPG which specifically has a mode for competitive play. I recall the system wasn't that tight, but you could totally do an extended game of it. PC death may or may not be rare, but chargen is quick and the PCs come from big families for instant re-connection. I think with two PCs and a GM you'd get a real blood-feud thing going in short order. With more players, it's more likely to become a web of shifting alliances.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

That sounds surprisingly good, actually.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Oh hey. I forgot Amber Diceless. That'll do fine.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.