Tiefling vs Gnome

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Tiefling vs Gnome

Post by Username17 »

Draeni wrote:Almost 25,000 years ago, a faction of uncorrupted eredar led by Velen fled their home world of Argus, calling themselves the draenei ("the Exiled Ones"). After traveling through the cosmos they finally found a world which they called Draenor ("Exile's Refuge"). They at first shared a peaceful existence with the native orcs and traded with them. They followed the path of the Holy Light of Creation as shown to them by the naaru. Unfortunately, Kil'jaeden eventually discovered the refuge, and found the combat-driven and honor-seeking orcs to be easily manipulated. As a potent act of vengeance and a safety precaution, Kil'jaeden ordered the draenei to be exterminated by the orcs through his student, the warlock Gul'dan.

After the Dark Portal was destroyed, Draenor collapsed in on itself, and what remained was a sundered mass of planetary debris and floating asteroids hovering in stasis within the Twisting Nether. The regions of Draenor that are still habitable are now known as Outland. Draenor was not the only thing to change in this ordeal, as some draenei were altered by the destruction of their world, and became known as the Broken. Some of these corrupted draenei fled through the open portals on Draenor and settled in the Swamp of Sorrows on the world of Azeroth. Several of these Lost Ones were driven mad by the absence of their home world, and sank into an even deeper primitive state.

Boom! Tieflings. Only they are Red, not Blue, so everything is OK.

-Username17
ArtD
NPC

Illumians Suck

Post by ArtD »

SunTzuWarmaster at [unixtime wrote:1199133897[/unixtime]]illumians are cooler than humans.

What the hell!
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

I hate gnomes with a passion and you should too. I couldn't watch the movie, but anything that makes people hate gnomes is okay in my book.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1199168154[/unixtime]]Well, sorta warcrafting it up. Pretty much every element of warcraft is a direct rip of d&d or warhammer (or something else), which of course, both directly rip yet other things. So, yeah, whatever.

The short thing I'm saying is, Warcraft is popular, and WotC wants to get popular and rich! Well, more popular and rich.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1199211495[/unixtime]]I hate gnomes with a passion and you should too. I couldn't watch the movie, but anything that makes people hate gnomes is okay in my book.

Not sure its actually making people hate gnomes though. Yeah, the gnome comes across as a fairly stupid, insane crossbreed of Zim and a howler monkey, but a certain amount of the reaction is just 'WotC is being a collective dick to people who actually like gnomes'. (For whatever reason).

Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1199180021[/unixtime]]
Boom! Tieflings. Only they are Red, not Blue, so everything is OK.

-Username17

And also they can be warlocks.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1199123044[/unixtime]]OK, here's what you are "missing":
.... chick with huge boobs talking about how she kills things with hellfire and it isn't interesting.

.... They chose to make the Fey = Gay jokes here and it made us sad. I don't want to pick either path because they managed to make both sound lame.

First, disagree. It is interesting, except for the excessive blathering, yak horns, forced 'exotic' accent, and pathetic attempt to showcase 'new abilities'.
So that just leaves a semi-demonic female, which is all right in my book (literally).
The infernal rage crap is lame, there should at least be more options for players that don't buy into the "all fiend-bloods are emo" shit that Neverwinter sadly fell for in Hordes of the Underdark.
I really don't look forward to a race of Valens.

Secondly, that is sad. Very sad. And I plan to get revenge on WOTC if they, once again, fail to re-work Fey as something better than D&D as a whole has been doing for the last 30 years.
They have Eladrin, they have a good clean slate to work with, and a ready audience; don't blow it!
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Waesel: Damnit, I agree with you on this. There goes my new year's resolution of "I won't agree with Waesel on anything". Now all I have left is "Help make New Edition better than 4E", "finish my Witch Hunters army" and "Recover and survive the year."

Shit, 1 down already. Yes, I'm mostly joking. But seriously, I don't mind anti-gnome propaganda. It's just a shame they apparently made it suck.

Ceilingcat: Blue WoW Tieflings can't be Warlocks?

Sigma: to be fair, as long as they spend more time setting people on fire than sitting in a corner and crying/moping/cutting themselves/listening to MCR, they're not being emo. Just GRIM AND DARK.

With stupid jagged weapons.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1199255318[/unixtime]]Ceilingcat: Blue WoW Tieflings can't be Warlocks?

No, but red WoW Tieflings can. But they're not playable. Blue ones can be Warriors, Huntards, Priests, Mages, Paladins, Shamans (only Alliance race that can be) and probably some other things, I don't really care. They also die funny.
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Koumei wrote:Waesel: Damnit, I agree with you on this. There goes my new year's resolution of "I won't agree with Waesel on anything"

Did you really make this resolution cause if so that's pretty funny :)
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I watched the video. If we needed any proof that as far as D&D is concerned 2008 is the year that sucks, this is it. I don't know what the fuck that was supposed to be but that was not a gnome. Gully dwarves look better (and actually from the original D&D tradition, gnomes were really sort of what gully dwarves became later).

I reserve the right to disagree. Gomes, that is real fantasy gnomes, not the shit of the recent editions, rock. Trvelocity, and Keebler (yes I know they claim they are elves, but look at their sizes and you realize they are gnomes) both rock as companies. Being an avod NationStates player I know that one day the United Nations will be run by gnomes! Gnomes rule, well humans rule, but only because they can depend on gnomes to make things run.

:tongue:

P.S. I got the server busy problem again. So this is my last post of the day.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Oh god, Travelocity. I love that gnome.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1199286809[/unixtime]]Oh god, Travelocity. I love that gnome.

That's that gnome on the commercial inspired by/ripped from a movie, right?
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I happen to like illumians, they get crazy bonuses for being wizards (caster level, holy crap!), and crazy bonuses to everything else. Aside from that, they get kick-ass floating runes around their head that flare up when they get pissed off. They can read their spellbook at midnight. I mean, it is an entire races of king's advisors, court magicians, and obsessive compulsivity. The fact that Wizards of the Coast introduced them as a races in a splatbook, however, sucked balls. What they should have done is this:

let them choose 2 runes (that don't float around their head but instead are tattooed or something)
let them cast a low-light spell that is enough to read by at will that only this character can see
give them free multiclassing
give them elven weapon proficiency
called them a half-elf
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Or you could just give some school of magic a cool flavor which involves floating runes.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Someone sold them the gnome, yes.

-Crissa
K
King

Post by K »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1199165008[/unixtime]]More people have played D&D than any MMO than Warcraft. More people had played D&D than all MMOs combined in the US even after Warcraft.

They're losing all credibility.

-Crissa

Wait, are you implying that 4e will be copying WoW in the same way that 3e copied Diablo II. Oh, heavens!

Seriously, only one thing makes better RPG mechanics.

Playtesting.

Only one thing makes people want to play RPGs. Great art and settings.

If they ever figure that out, they might stop copying everyone else.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1199285583[/unixtime]]
Did you really make this resolution cause if so that's pretty funny :)

Sadly, no. I should have, however.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Travelocity and the movie. Emphasis on "Sometimes the gnome returns with a wife and children."
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

They're making beholders black?

what the fuck... If they wanted to give the beholder some random, stupid steretype, they should have portrayed them as rabid white supremicists... as their actual flavour supports this stereotype being used for them...

yeah... the gnome and the tiefling was a disappointment... to say the least... hey look, more things for my big list of reasons not to switch to 4th.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

SunTzuWarmaster at [unixtime wrote:1199133897[/unixtime]]I acutally like gnomes... but I started likely them with the Shadowcraft Mage prestige class and Frank's writing on the ongoing Kobold-killing spree. Prior to my introduction to the two above they seemed like crappy underground-small people. Afterwards, they seemed to show the constant tinkering that is indicative of genius with an affinity towards being tricksy.

That being said, tieflings are much, much cooler than aasimar, just like drow are much cooler than sea elves and illumians are cooler than humans.

BTW, as long as we are talking 4th edition, that rubric that you sent is more hilarious the more that I think about it, Frank. I would like a first level spell please, it does the following.

All enemies within sight are turned into stone without a save. All of them die after 3-5 minutes depending on Con score unless a Dispel Magic, Limited Wish, or similiar spell is cast. After death, they revert to normal form so you can totally loot all their things.

Of course, on the rubric, the character simply fills out that he did nothing in his round, that no enemies dies, and that no enemies took damage during the 'combat' part of the encounter.

what thread was the 4e playtesting discussed in? I need to source it for a debate with one of the more intelligent people on the wotc boards...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

On this board, the old laugh/cry thread
here:
http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewth ... [br][br]On Enworld, here:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... ][br]There is some other stuff kicking around, too.
Ah. here. The stuff SunTzu and frank are referencing is Noonan's babble here:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... r][quote]3, repeated) Repeat for each encounter: You’re going to give us a numeric summary of your “output.” Note what your damage output was per round. Just write down the number.
• If you missed, put down a "0."
• If you didn't attack, put down an "X."
• If you attack when it's not your turn (like an oppo attack), put the damage in parentheses, and put a zero in parentheses if you miss during an oppo or something like that.
• If you got KOed or killed, put down a "—."
• And if you attack multiple targets in the same round (with an area attack or by [Go Bears!], for example), use slashes to separate the output.
• If you used any [Van Halen Rules!] or [Hi Mom!], write that the end of the string.
Ask your DM for the room number. Use commas to separate the rounds. At the end of the session, a 2nd-level wizard might have a string for each encounter that looks something like:

Wizard 2 vs. Room 1: 14/7, 8, 0, 10, X, 6, 0. Used 1 [Hi Mom!].
Wizard 2 vs. Room 2: 9, 15, 11 (0), 0, 21. Used 2 [Hi Mom!]s and [Van Halen Rules!].[/quote]

Basically, by what they're playtesting at this point, if you aren't doing damage, you aren't doing *anything*.

The rest of the questionnaire isn't bad, but the only thing they were repeatedly testing was damage. If you were, entangling or casting hold person on all the enemies, or gods forbid, sneaking past, and still got out of the Prison Break scenario, you're completely under the radar with regard to the results sent back to the design team.

Thats... worrisome.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

somewhat, except those [Hi Mom!] and [Van Halen Rules!] could be playtesting names for class abilities and spells or such. What I hope is that they're playtesting more than just combat, because not playtesting non-combat stuff gives us Candles of Invocation and Beguiling Influence.

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

those [] things are most certainly class abilities. But they could very well be damage based ones. And would, for example, explain the large numbers or multiple numbers given in the example. Even though those are almost certainly bullshit numbers made up for the example

There has been talk of a new social system, in fact, social encounters that are more than a single die roll. and testing of it, but we don't know the extent of either.

My big worry is shit like this from Scott Rouse-
This has been play tested in parts for years (Bo9S, SWSE, DMG II, etc) and in whole since early 2007 so I am sure your statement is inaccurate. I played my first 4e game in May 2007 but saw an early build in February 2006.

testing in parts, for other books, other systems, doesn't mean much. It gives you some general ideas, but they know nothing about where those systems grind against the greater part of the 4e systems. Especially after you modify it to fit the 4e system.

Basically, the big thing they seem to miss is their language and rule-wording is their big obstacle. (well, that and designers that aren't on the same page with what does what, and how that effects things). If shit is badly worded, you'll still have stupid shit like beguiling influence, and all they'll be able to say is 'Well, that isn't what we had in mind'

And 25-50 pages of errata quickly follow for each book.

Check this shit out:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... r][br]This is what, D&D miniature's 6th? 7th? release? 60 figures generate 4 pages of clarifications. These aren't people that are good at writing rules that don't cause problems.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

The point is that it is a terrible rubric. The only savable thing would be if [] was [spells]. As mentioned above, if the objective was to escape, a level 6 Beguiler can cast Invisibility and use his in-class Hide and Move Silently skills to bypass all monsters.

Using the spell above, the character would state that he attacked no one and did no damage every round.