BIWA Roleplaying System (WIP, Feedback Solicited)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Meikle641
Duke

BIWA Roleplaying System (WIP, Feedback Solicited)

Post by Meikle641 »

Check latest post here for up to date system: http://www.mediafire.com/view/mlucwl52u ... 00.106.pdf

First post where I talk about the system and then post chapter 1.

The product is very much a work in progress, and I still haven't fully updated some terminology from my earlier project.

Okay. Basically, I was re-editing and revising the BRP system for an eventual book or two, but my contact with them couldn't be bothered to answer my contract questions, since I wasn't gonna agree to what was written. Anyway, people liked my material when I showed it, so I figured I should turn my hand to making my own d100 system.

So, this lead to BIWA. BIWA is a roll-over d100 system where skills and tests are rolled using modifiers that typically range from 1 to 100, but can go over with "epic" characters and such. In the event of opposed rolls, the higher of the two wins.

Rolls are either Normal, Easy, Hard, or Improbable. Normal rolls use your modifier as-is, Easy doubles your modifier, Hard halves it, and Improbable quarters it. Fairly easy for new players, I've found.

The overall goals for this system are simplicity, ease of use, and most importantly fun. Characters should be easy and quick to make, but offer enough depth for a campaign worth of play and advancement.

Big influences for my work thus far are anime, comics, and music. I'd like to think it shows positively in the magic I've written thus far.

-----------
Intro to BIWA

The imagined stock setting is a post-apocalyptic continent a few hundred years after a war between gods and their followers. This war destroyed much of the countries and cities, seemingly wiping out the gods and leaving just a handful of surface cities unscarred.

Adventures should range from more typical fantasy fare to dungeon crawls for valuable pre-war artifacts and knowledge, or lost internet hubs.

The world is rebuilding, but the hub of most trading is in the neutral city of Bastion (A placeholder. Years ago it was Citadel, but then I'd learned of Mass Effect), a rainy city fulled with broken dreams and neon lights. Bastion is the big city where you can get rich and make connections, but most end up dying alone in the gutter. The people of the city are mostly a bucket of crabs, but the gangs make it all worse.

TERMS USED IN BIWA:
Attribute
Saving Throw
Round:
Dice: BIWA uses several kinds of polyhedral dice, but the main one to be familiar with is the 10-sided die which is usually referred to as a d10. A d10 is used in pairs for rolling most actions, but in this case it

- d10: A 10-sided die that can typically be found at game stores and online.
- d100: While there are technically d100 dice around, in practice a d10 is actually a pair of d10 dice rolled as a pair, where one represents the 10s digit and the other represents the 1s.
d6: A d6 is your standard 6-sided die used from everything from boardgames to gambling. Probably the most common dice around anywhere.
1d2: The d2 is actually an ordinary coin. Pick one and flip it: heads is 1, tails is 2.
1d3: The d3 is just a d6, but you count 1-2 as 1, 3-4 as 2, and 5-6 as 3.

If you don't have these dice and don't really want to since you're playing over the internet of something, you're in luck. There are plenty of digital dice rollers online, and some are even built into chat programs.

If you don't have the money for dice or aren't computer savvy, it's no problem. Just put numbered pieces of paper from 1d6 in one container and 1d10 into another. Pulling numbers from a hat is old school, but it works.

Actions:
In a round a character can perform a Compex Action, two Simple Actions, and as many Free actions as you're entitled to.

Reactive actions are often used in response to the actions of a monster or character, usually for defensive abilities but sometimes for attack boosts. These are normally either Free actions or lack an action entirely.

Complex Actions:

Simple Actions:

Free Actions:
Last edited by Meikle641 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

BIWA ROLE PLAYING SYSTEM, 1ST EDITION

=CHAPTER 2=

1. CHARACTER CREATION
"Once I had a dream, and this is it!"

Step 1: Race
"Jeremiah was a bullfrog. Was a good friend of mine."

Alfar:
"Yeah, I'll make it, but you're not going to like the price."
Alfar are slightly shorter than humans on average and typically live underground. They have long pointed ears and have large eyes that tend to be gemstone colours. They have dark skin that ranges from light grey to coal back and have grey or white hair.

Alfar tend to swing between melancholy or grumpiness with rare bouts of joviality and cheerfulness. There is very rarely ever a point in between.

They're known for being master craftsmen, having long lifespans, and magic-resistance.

Curses: Alfar have a gift at Geas spells, learning them at half cost.
Hex: Once every other round, as a free action, an Alfar can give a single enemy a 10% penalty on skills or tests for 1 round.
Master Craftsman: Alfar treat Artisan and Construction checks as one step easier and their magic spells as 2 levels higher when crafting magical items.
Rainbow in the Dark: Alfar can see up to 60 metres in darkness.
Soul of Diamond: Alfar double their Will attribute for tests against offensive magic.

Human:
"Flavour text."
Humans are a mixture of contradictions. Known for their great capacity for violence and willingness to kill other species, yet are also known for being willing to befriend outsiders and beasts.

Humans are, at best, half civilized. Only a thin veneer of civilization keeps most of them from acting out their worst impulses. Still, they try their best.

Adrenaline Rush: Human bodies are flooded by natural combat drugs when in danger, granting increased reaction time and physical prowess. During a combat high, treat their Agility as 10 points higher for initiative and a +10% bonus on Physical skill checks for the duration of combat.
Beastly: Humans treat Animal Ken checks as one step easier.
Blood Rage: If brought to 0 HP while in an Adrenaline Rush, a human may continue to act normally for up to 1 round per 5 points of Will.
Disassociation: If [Sanity] rules are being used, Humans take half normal [sanity] damage when killing non-humans.
Murderous Intent: Humans have a talent for making weapons from damn near anything. Humans are treated as having a Artisan (weapons) skill of Intelligence x 10 for the purposes of cobbling together Primitive weapons. If they already have an appropriate Artisan skill, they gain a +10% competence bonus on it for this purpose.
Tireless: A human can walk nearly any being alive into the ground, given enough time. All Endurance checks are considered one step easier. Normal being Easy, Difficult being Normal, etc.

Kitsune:
"Hey man, take a walk on the wild side."
Kitsune are foxes that can take human form. They're often known as tricksters and talented magic users, particularly with flame and illusion. Kitsune are known to live for hundreds of years naturally, unless killed.

While often promiscuous, if a kitsune chooses a mate they stay faithful until the death of their partner.
Foxfire: All Kitsune start with one level of Flame or Pyrokinesis at character generation, and can learn the spell at half price.
Illusions: Kitsune are talented illusionists, and always start with one level of Illusion at character generation, and can learn it at half price.
Party Hard: Kitsune have a high tolerance for drugs and alcohol, making all tests one step easier.
Shapeshift: Kitsune can turn into male or female humans, regardless of the original sex at a cost of 1 MP.

Lizardmen:
"My people were running empires millenia before you apes and maggots stopped building mud huts."

Lizardmen are known in their own tongue as the Children of the Sun. They look something like humanoid iguanas and are sexually dimorphic, with females being larger.

Lizardmen were once in charge of a large empire, until the humans came. They're still somewhat bitter about this, but both species admire the strengths of the other overall. Indeed, lizardmen and human mercenary teams are among the most sought after.

Cold Weakness: Lizardmen take double damage from cold, regardless of source. Lizardmen are slowed down by cold, taking a -20% penalty to Agility until [something].
Lizardmen
Heatwave: When in [hot] areas lizardmen gain a +2 bonus to Agility for the purposes of initiative and a [slightly bonus to movement speed].
Hibernation: Lizardmen can enter a state of hibernation, allowing them to sleep for as much as weeks at a time when resources are scarce. Hibernating costs 1 MP per day, but the lizardman doesn't regain any mana points in this state, instead the initial amount when it began is used. Once the reservoir reaches 2 mana points the lizardman awakens.
Mystic Eyes: As a complex action a lizardman can attempt to charm a target within Near range. The user rolls an opposed Will test with a +10% bonus, and if successful is treated as if a friend by the target. This lasts 1 minute, but can be extended at a cost of 1 MP per minute at a maximum of the user's Will score in duration.
Regeneration: Heal 4 HP per minute or 1 HP at the end of every combat round. Cold and acid damage cannot be healed by regeneration. This removes major wounds, but only after all HP damage from the injury is healed.

Lycanthropes:
"I saw a werewolf at the bar last night, and his hair was perfect."
Lycanthropy is a magical curse that can afflict humans and alfar. This replaces their racial abilities.

Animal Totem: Choose one of the following animals as your totem, this is the type of lycanthrope you are and determines your special ability.
- Werebear: Battlecry or Megaton Blow
- Wereboar: Berserk power must be taken at character generation
- Wererat: Maybe some form of damage avoidance or poison?
- Wereswan: Airwalk power.
- Werewolf:
Additionally, a lycanthrope can call upon like animals for aid. Insert mechanics here.
Shapeshift: As a complex action a lycanthrope can change into a humanoid form or that of an appropriate animal. While transformed a lycanthrope doubles their Brawn attribute, cannot speak intelligibly, and all tests based on Intelligence are considered Difficult. Transforming costs 10 PP and lasts for 8 hours. During a full moon the transformation is free, but the transformation is mandatory.
Natural Weapons: Lycanthropes must take at least one level of Bestial Weapons at character generation.
No Silver, No Sell: When transformed lycanthropes get DR 10 against weapons that aren't silver or mithral, which ignore it entirely. When in human form a lycanthrope instead gets DR 5, with the same limitations. This DR doesn't stack with Armour.
Curse of the [Insert Lycanthrope Type]: A lycanthrope natural weapon that successfully bypassed DR will transmit the curse to the target. [Insert mechanics]

Myrmidon
"Old soldiers never die; we come back twice as angry."
Myrmidons are sapient war machines from before the apocalypse. They are notorious for waking up confused in ancient battlefields, their unfailing loyalty, and being tough.
Batteries Not Included: Myrmidons gain just their Will score in MP per day, forcing them to consume outside sources for power. Myrmidon consume 2 mana points every day. If a Myrmidon reaches 2 MP or less, all rolls are considered Difficult due to power loss. If they reach 0 they go inactive, but revive if topped up with mana.
Fire Eater: If subject to fire or shock damage a Myrmidon can instead consume it for healing or mana points. As a free or non-action, a Myrmidon can harmlessly absorb 2 points per point of Brawn, gaining half of that as healing or MP, rounded up. Any excess healing is directed to their Battery pool.
I'll Be Back: Myrmidons do not always die if they are killed. If exposed to fire or shock damage after death, every absorbed point of energy damage gives a 10% chance of reviving
Personality Core: The mind and 'brain' of a Myrmidon is stored in a crystalline ball deep inside the torso. Unless this is destroyed, it will keep coming back from the dead if given energy. To execute a it, the attacker must make a Difficult attack while the Myrmidon is helpless, and deal at least 5 points of damage.
Tin Can Hit Man: Myrmidons learn the Reinforcement spell at half cost, and gain 1 free level of Charge Shot.
Loyalty: Choose a species or person as the beneficiary of your Loyalty. When following their direct orders or acting to protect them from a nearby threat you gain a +10% bonus on all relevant tests and rolls. Additionally, you may continue to act normally for 1 round per point of Will if you reach 0 HP while attempting to protect your target from harm. If magical control would attempt to make you harm your Loyalty target, you gain a +20% chance on tests to break control.

Tengu
Tengu are giant humanoid ravens and crows that shapeshift into humans. They usually like living in isolated monasteries in deep forests and on mountains. Tengu are known as talented warriors and mystics with ties to demons and minour nobility.

Flight: Tengu can fly with a speed up to Rapid Jog.
Troublemaker: Tengu are known troublemakers, and can learn Causality Curse at half cost.
Shinobi: Tengu must learn at least one of the following spells at character generation: Chaotic Misdirection, Switcheroo or Cloak of Stealth.
Shapeshift: Tengu can turn into humans, but always with the following: their hair is always black, yellow irises, and prominent or large noses.
Vain:

Vampire:
Vampires are former humans, no exceptions. Vampirism is a magical curse transmitted when the vampire has the target drink his blood after having been drained. The transformation takes a week, during which the fledgling vampire grows paler, feels sensitive to light, and develops a taste for blood.

Vampires don't burst into flame or sparkle when in sunlight, but they dislike it as it makes them feel exhausted and uncomfortable.

There are no blood-feuds between vampires and werewolves; if any exist they are on the personal level.

Accursed Daystar: Actions are considered one step more difficult when in direct sunlight. If covered head-to-toe in concealing clothing they instead take a -10% penalty to all skills.
Bite: A vampire's bite attack deals 1D4 damage and has a +20% bonus to hit.
Blood Drain: A vampire can drain 1 point of Brawn per round, using grappling rules to stay attached.The target will die if they reach 0 Brawn. Assuming the victim doesn't die, they heal 1 point of ability damage per day of relative rest, but if rest is ignored healing takes twice as long.
Blood Pool: A vampire can store up to 1/2 their Brawn in drained blood, as per Blood Drain. Each point of drained Brawn can be consumed to gives the vampire 3 MP.
Blood Thirst: While vampires can and do enjoy food and drink, they need to consume blood to survive. A vampire loses 1d3 mana points every day, spent when they first get up. If a vampire reaches 2 MP or less, all rolls are considered Difficult due to weakness and the thirst for blood. If a vampire reaches 0 they die, but can be revived if given fresh blood equal to their Will attribute + 15.
Fire Vulnerability: Vampires take double damage from fire, regardless of source. Vampires are flammable, and can be set afire using torches, magic, or weapons.
Hard to Kill: Only a wooden weapon stabbed through the heart or a decapitation will put a vampire down for good. To execute a vampire, the attacker must make a Difficult attack while the vampire is helpless, and deal at least 1 point of damage. The vampire then turns into a pile of dust.
Regeneration: Unless decapitated or staked in the heart, a vampire will heal 1 HP at the end of each round. Regeneration will not work while in direct sunlight, near holy symbols, or while dead from starvation. Additionally, fire damage cannot must heal at the vampire's natural rate.
Spawn: A vampire's blood has a potency value equal to the vampire's Will, and if drank directly from their veins can turn a human into a vampire. The blood has an effect for up to 3 days, and if the target is overcome by it, they turn into a vampire.

Step 2: Character Class:
Your character class determines what spells you can cast, your affinities for skills, and bonus Health or Mana.

Paragons use the inherent powers of the world to your benefit with Menhir magic. Technomancers break the rules of the the world using Akashic magic. Sorcerers rewrite the rules entirely to your benefit with Celestial magic.

Sorcerers are are casters that draw power from Celestial magic, from stars to demons and the divine. Some say the magic comes from the blood, others from pacts; nobody is quite sure. Sorcerers call forth mighty spells and shape reality, but they lack some of the raw durability and power of a Paragon. [Insert thematic characteristic here]
- Add +5 to Mana Points.
- +15% bonus to Agility and Brawn saving throws
- +30% bonus to Intelligence and Will saving throws

Paragons used an ancient magical tradition named Menhir, supposedly refined by dragons of all in the distant past. A Paragon's magic is a primal magic that typically focuses on enhancing the physical abilities of the user, but it also can be used for healing, necromancy, and mass slaughter. A paragon's weight is 20% heavier than normal for their species, and a nearly imperceptible tremor can be felt with each step they take.
- Add +10 to Health Points.
- +30% bonus to Agility and Brawn saving throws
- +15% bonus to Intelligence and Will saving throws

Technomancers are a new magical discipline that focuses on the fusion of spells and technology.
Technomancers are a new branch of magic that focuses on the augmentation of items with magic. The technomancers draw their power and knowledge from the Akashic Records, which allows them to force machines or items to act in seemingly impossible ways. A technomancer can get equipment working, even if there's no way it should, simply because they think it should. [Insert thematic characteristic here]
- Add +5 to Mana Points.
- +30% bonus to Agility and Intelligence saving throws
- +15% bonus to Brawn and Will saving throws

Step 3: Personal Details
Who is your character? What kind of person are they? What do they want?
Before you jump into the following steps, think about movies, TV shows, video games you've played, and and try to remember something really cool or that you thought was clever. Who would be fun to play as?

Then, once you have a solid idea, try to make it your own. Change it up. Having at least few sentences of backstory is a good plan, but you can save the novel for later on. If nothing else, filling out the template below is a nice way to get your creative juices flowing.

Origin:
Loyalties/Affiliations:
Build:
Distinctive Features:
Hobbies:
Favorite food:
Favorite Sport:
Most Valuable:
Hates the Most:

Step 4: Character Tier:
Your MC and group must decide what character tier your characters will be starting at. Basically, the higher the tier the more starting resources you have, but your opposition should be that much stronger.

Novice: If your character is just starting out or you're doing an origin story, it'll be this tier of character.
Adept: An Adept tier character has been around a while, and knows the ropes of adventuring and combat, but is still far from the top dog.
Master: A master tier character is, well, legendary. A figure of immense power and known in at least their home region. Masters are capable of taking on gods and armies.

Step 5: Attributes
Attribute scores are given out in three different ways, depending on the starting power level of a campaign:
- Novice Tier: Attributes are the following, arranged as you like: B, C, D, and D with three + modifiers.
- Adept Tier: Attributes are the following, arranged as you like: A, B, C, D and three + modifiers.
- Master Tier: Attributes are the following, arranged as you like: EX, S, A, B with three + modifiers.

Attributes are the physical and mental capabilities of your character and they determine the efficiency of your various abilities and skills. Advancement from adventuring and magic will increase these over time.

Brawn
Brawn covers endurance, strength and overall vitality. This also determines bonus damage on melee and thrown weapons. Critical in determining Health Points.
Brawn can be reduced by severe injuries, poisons and diseases. Brawn 0 means the character is dead.

Intelligence
Intelligence covers your wits, mental acuity, and awareness.
Intelligence can be lowered through brain injuries, illness, and drugs or poisons. Intelligence 0 means a character is mindless (becomes an NPC).

Will
Willpower, magical aptitude, and charisma. Determines leadership, intuition and special abilities.
Will 0 means a character has no sense of self, and becomes catatonic and helpless (becomes an NPC)

Agility
Balance, dexterity, speed. Applies to reactions, acting stealthy, and delicate actions.
Agility can be lowered by injuries or diseases. Agility 0 means a character cannot move.
RankValue++++++
F0000
E5101520
D10203040
C20406080
B306090120
A4080120160
S50100150200
EX60120180240

Attributes can get modifiers added to them, shown as + signs; these unlock perks for that attribute. A perk allows the character to exceed their attributes normal limits when conditions are met. While a D+ is normally no match for a C, it can sometimes exceed C. + indicates a two times increase, ++ three times, and +++ is a four-times increase. This increase applies to a specific situation or aspect of the attribute, such as increasing the amount of bonus HP Brawn grants or increasing the bonus to a skill or test.

For instance, Jackie the Reaver has a C+ in Brawn and a D+ in Will. For Jackie, this means she doubles her Brawn attribute (40 after the perk) for the purposes of damage bonus. In the case of Will it means her base skill modifier for Will is doubled, but only for the Persuade skill.

Sample Attribute Perks
- Unnatural Strength: Brawn is boosted for the purpose of damage bonus.
- I Ate my Weaties: Brawn is boosted for the purposes of damage reduction.
- Master of Flame: Intelligence is boosted for Magecraft skill checks involving fire.
- (something for Int)
- Hidden Reserves: Will bonus for power points is boosted.
- (something for Will)
- Lightning Reflexes: Agility saving throw modifiers are boosted for evading damage.
- Always Ready: Agility bonus for initiative is boosted.

Step 6: Skills
Your skill training, bonuses and modifiers depend on your character tier and your attributes. Choose 10 skills and arrange the following skill ranks however you wish.
- Novice: D, D, D, D, D, C, C, C, B, A, along with two + modifiers.
- Adept: D, D, D, D, C, C, B, B, B, A, A and three + modifiers.
- Master: D, D, C, B, B, B, A, A, S, EX and three + modifiers.

Additionally, you add your Attribute scores to your skill rank for your final skill total. Advancement from adventuring and magic will increase these over time.

Step 7: Initial Equipment
Try choosing an equipment package in chapter 5, it's a great way to pick up equipment that files a role, saves time, and saves your character some money. Alternatively you can choose your equipment piecemeal, but that's fine too, but it may take a bit longer.

Starting money:
- Novice: $2000
- Adept: $5000
- Master: $10,000

Step 8: Powers and Spells
Choose powers and spells or other abilities as appropriate for the current game. Descriptions of these powers follow in later chapters. These abilities are purchased using Essence, which is gained through adventures and experience. The amount off Essence your character starts with changes on the tier of your character. See chapter 4 for more information on magic.
- Novice Essence: 25
- Adept Essence: 50
- Master Essence: 75

Step 9: Derived Abilities:
Damage Bonus: Characters get 1 point of bonus damage for every 5 points of Brawn or Agility, rounded down. For ranged weapons, Agility is typically used, but thrown weapons can instead use their Brawn bonus if desired, but the bonus is halved.
Damage Resistance: Damage Resistance is your ability to shrug off or ignore damage taken. You gain a point of DR for every 10 points of your Brawn attribute, rounded down. Additional DR from armour and magic stacks with this DR unless stated otherwise.
Energy Resistance: Energy Resistance is your ability to shrug off energy damage. You gain a point of DR for every 10 points of your Brawn attribute, rounded down. Additional ER from armour and magic only counts for 1/2 for ER unless stated otherwise.
Caster Limit: Your Caster Limit (or CL) determines the highest level you can boost a spell to at a given time. Your CL is equal to your Intelligence divided by 10, rounded up. Additonally, your character's tier will give a bonus to your caster level, so double check your total when advancing.
- Novice: +1 CL
- Adept: +2 CL
- Master: +3 CL
Health Points: Health Points represent the ability to shrug off damage, and are lost in combat or when the character is hurt. Characters have a pool of hitpoints that varies on their character tier, Brawn, and assorted bonuses.
- Novice: Health Points are 20 + 1/2 Brawn, plus assorted bonuses.
- Adept: Health Points are 20 + Brawn, plus assorted bonuses.
- Master: Health Points are 20 + 2x Brawn, plus assorted bonuses.
Mana Points: Mana Points are used to power special abilities like magic and powers. If MP is 0, a character becomes fatigued until they gain at least 1 point. Further information can be found in chapter 4.
- Novice: Mana Points are 15 + 1/2 Will, plus assorted bonuses.
- Adept: Same as Novice, but 20 instead of 15.
- Master: Same as Novice, but 25 instead of 15.
Saving Throws: A saving throw is used to resist attacks and assorted hazards, such as an explosion or mind control, etc. Optionally, a saving throw is used for tasks that aren't necessarily covered by a skill, so argue with your MC about what fits best.

Your bonus for a saving throw is the attribute plus their class bonus. Example, Jackie the Reaver has C+ rank Brawn (22) and is a Paragon (+30%) so her Brawn tests have a modifier of 55.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 am, edited 16 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 3=
SKILLS:
Physical skills can have the Brawn or Agility attributes used for bonuses, depending on whether it makes sense. Social skills use Will as their bonus stat. Technical skills use Intelligence.
RankBonus
E0
D10
C20
B30
A40
S50
EX60

Physical Skills:
Athletics:
Athletics governs running, jumping, climbing, and swimming.
Sample Specializations: Running, Jumping, Climbing, Swimming.
Climbing, Jumping, Swimming: You move up 2 metres on a successful check. For every 10 points over the margin of success you move 1 more metre.
Running: As per “Going Faster” in Chapter 6.

Awareness:
Awareness governs physically noticing things.
Sample Specializations: by Sense.

Larceny:
Larceny is a skill that allows characters to break into places they aren't wanted and take stuff that isn't theirs. Bypassing living guards still requires Stealth.
Sample Specializations: Security Systems, Pickpocket, Lockpicking

Marksmanship:
Marksmanship is the skill one uses to use ranged weapons. For every 10 points over the margin of success you deal +1 damage.
Sample Specializations: by Weapon Type.

Melee Combat:
Melee combat governs the use of melee weapons and martial arts. For every 10 points over the margin of success you deal +1 damage.
Sample Specializations: by Martial Art (and thus, by group of favored weaponry)

Piloting:
Pilot Vehicles allows a character to drive around with vehicles. Vehicles still ususally require energy cells each month (and each battle) they are used in. Unusual vehicles such as rockets and submarines require an appropriate specialization before than can be driven at all.
Sample Specializations: by vehicle type.

Survival:
Survival mediates both the literal act of surviving in the face of deadly diseases and hostile environments, and finding the means of continuing to survive in the wastes.
Sample Specializations: Disease, Food Scavenging, or by terrain type.
Sickness, Poison, Terrain: On a succesful roll you reduce the damage by 1 point, and every 10 points over the margin of success reduces damage taken by 1 more point.
Food Scavenging: On a succesful roll you find sustenance for day's sustenance for 1 creature, and for every 10 points over the margin of success that number increased by +1.

Stealth:
Stealth allows a character to move and act without being seen or at least noticed.
Sample Specializations: Infiltration, Shadowing, Hiding

Social Skills:
Animal Handling:
Dealing with beasts is a skill in and of itself. Animal Handling is used to read the emotions of an animal as well as to calm one down or train it to do stuff.

Sample Specializations: Domestic Animals, Training, Wild Animals, Riding

Deception:
Deception is used to disguise one's self or one's intentions.
Sample Specializations: Bluffing, Fast Talk, Forgery, Disguise

Empathy:
Empathy is one's awareness of the emotional states of those around you. It is used to intuitively understand emotions in others, and interpret the needs of animals.
Sample Specializations: Motivation Determination, Detecting Lies, Action Anticipation

Art:
Expression is the art of entertainment and influencing peoples' minds through art. At some level, regardless of specialty, the art affects the audience.

Sample Specializations: Writing, Dance, Music, Oratory

Persuasion:
Persuasion is used to convince others of things. It can be as haggling, manipulating a target with fear, building alliances, or changing world views.
Sample Specializations: Barter, Blackmail, Diplomacy, Interrogation, Intimidation, Propaganda

Tactics:
Tactics is the skill that governs leadership in both the military and corporate sense of the term. Characters can inspire others to give 100% or produce a battle plan. The dragon crawls on its belly, and Tactics helps in the plotting of war, whether genuine or metaphorical.
Ambush: On a successful attempt the tactician can grant his allies 1 round of suprise, even when they normally would not have it. Subsequent attempts during combat are one step more difficult.

Well Planned: On a succesful roll you grant your allies a +10% bonus on dodging or attacks for 1 round, and every 10 points over the margin of success increases the duration by 1 round.
Sample Specializations: Inspiration, Maneuvers, Naval, Siege

Technical Skills:
Crafting:
Crafting is used to make things from scratch and to repair damaged devices. Crafting uses up junk in order to repair damaged devices or produce new working devices. Crafting can also be used to sabotage devices that are currently working in a manner that is either reverseable, unnoticeable or both.

Crafting takes 1 hour for every $5 in the cost of an item; thus a $500 pistol takes 50 hours to make. Every 10 points over the margin of success reduces this time by 1 hour.

The cost in raw component of an item is 1/5th the selling price.
Crafting Faster: A [Difficult] success doubles the rate of crafting while an [Improbable] success triples it.
Crafting Quality: A [Cheap] item is Easy to craft, [Normal] is normal difficulty, [Good] is Difficult, and [Masterwork] is Improbable.
Repair: On a successful check the target is repaired of 1 HP, and +1 for every 10 points over the margin of success. Repairing an item to full costs 1/5th the original cost in dollars.
Sample Specializations: Armour, Computers, Vehicles, Sabotage, Weaponry

Magecraft:
Magecraft governs the knowledge of how to identify and use magical items and techniques. Sample Specializations: Alchemy, Mutations, Necromancy, etc

Medicine:
Medicine is used to keep people alive. Sometimes it is also used to make horrible tailor made viruses and other bio-weapons that do the opposite. Without the non-human physiology specialization, medicine covers humans by default (and vampires, if the skill is possessed by a vampire), but suffers a defaulting penalty (of -10%) when used on any other type of person. Robots are not subject to medicine at all, and are repaired and diagnosed with Science.

First Aid: On a successful check the target is healed of 1 HP, and +1 for every 10 points over the margin of success.
Long Term Care: A success doubles the target's natural healing. This rate can triple on a Difficult success, or quadruple on an Improbable success. Failure results in the healing being reduced to 1/2 normal, to a minimum of 1.
Surgery: Perfoming surgery heals 5 HP per success, which is rolled hourly. On a failure the patient begins to die, unless a Difficult Medicine check is passed or is healed 10 HP by magic, items, or otherwise.
Sample Specializations: Bioweapons, First Aid, Long Term Care, Poisons, Diseases, non-human Physiology, Surgery.

Navigation:
Navigation is used to find the right path to get you to a given destination.
Sample Specializations: Astronomy, by Region or Environment

Research:
Knowing things is important, but the fact is that your brain probably can’t hold all the information you might possibly want to have available – and doesn’t always keep the things you do know readily accessible. When you need information that you don’t actually have in your head, you can use the Research skill to go look it up.
Sample Specializations: Archives, Library, Datamining, Interrogation

Rigging:
Rigging is the skill of MacGyvering and Rube Goldberging things. It is the skill of practical and impromptu engineering. Including lockpicking, plumbing, and clockwork. Rigging is used for most non-electric jury rigging as well as the creation, operation, and repair of most steam punk technologies.
Sample Specializations: Fluids, Gears, Lockpicking, Ropes and Pulleys, Traps

Science:
Science governs the knowledge of how to use advanced technical items and techniques. Unlike other skills, Technology must be taken with a specialization, and while it can be used to work on new research or identify scavenged goods from any pre-war tech, a character is at a defaulting penalty (-10%) when using anything they are not specialized in.
Sample Specializations: Bioengineering, Chemistry, Computers, Electronics, Robotics, or by radical technology path.

Sabotage:
Sabotage is the art of breaking stuff in a manner which will be most effective. Sabotage can be used for "rigging things to explode" rather than the actual Rigging skill. Sabotage can be used to break things in such a way as to make them look not broken, to not break things in such a manner as they do look broken, and to make things break in such a manner as to explode.
Sample Specializations: Explosives, Disabling Stuff, Structural Weaknesses, Traps
Tracking:
Tracking allows one to try and reconstruct past events from clues in the present. This also lets one track others down from clues in the environment.
Sample Specializations: Forensics, Investigation, by Environment

Using Attributes Without Skills:
"Granted, but I’m still huge."
Characters in BIWA may be called upon to use skills when they don’t actually have training in that area.
In this case, the character is called upon to Default on the skill. This allows the character to make a roll with an appropriate saving throw. When defaulting on most skills, the character suffers a -5% penalty for being untrained. When using Technical Skills, that same -5% penalty applies whenever the character doesn’t have an appropriate specialization (even if they do have the appropriate skill). There are a number of times when you will want to do something for which no skill applies. In that case a saving throw may suffice (obviously with no penalty), but remember that saving throw bonuses are smaller than skill rolls – so in most cases the MC should try to figure out a way to fit a skill in.

Sure Things: Heavy Lifting:
Sure, sometimes you can do all kinds of stuff. But I can always lift a car.

There are things you don't have to roll because they simply are. A character with a high Will is charming, a character with a high Intelligence is smart. Even if they offend someone or fail to solve a problem, they will do so in a charming or intelligent fashion. But probably the thing you will run into most frequently as far as automatic uses of Attributes is Brawn. People who have a high Brawn are strong, and they can lift heavy things. So to help out with that, here's a table of how much a character might be able to push themselves to lift up, and how much they might be able to carry home without hurting themselves.
From 1 to 10, carrying capacity is 20kg per point. From 11 to 20 it is 50kg. From 21 to 30 it is 100 kg. 31 to 40 it is 200 kg. From 41 to 50 it is 500 kg. From 51 to 60+ it is 1,000 kg.
BrawnMaximum LiftCarry Home
120 kg10 kg
240 kg20 kg
360 kg30 kg (average human)
480 kg40 kg
5100 kg50 kg
6120 kg60 kg
7140 kg70 kg
8160 kg80 kg
9180 kg90 kg
10200 kg100 kg
15750 kg375 kg
201 tonne1.5 tonnes
252.5 tonnes1.25 tonnes
303 tonnes1.5 tonnes
357 tonnes3.5 tonnes
408 tonnes4 tonnes
4522.5 tonnes11.25 tonnes
5025 tonnes12.5 tonnes
5555 tonnes27.5 tonnes
6060 tonnes30 tonnes

Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:32 am, edited 11 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 5=

CURRENCY AND BARTER

There are three main forms of currency on Pyrrhus:

Silver Denarius, Dollar, and [magic spell tokens].

Equipment QualityEffectPrice
Cheap: -15% 50%
Normal: +0% 100%
Good: +15%150%
Masterwork: +30%450%

The cost modifier of an item is applied before any weapon modifications are applied.

Item Quality: In the case of armour, Poor reduces each resistance value by 1, to a minimum of one. Good improve resistance values by +1, and masterwork by +3.

WEAPONRY, ARMOUR
"I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes, when it takes a man's life."

Brawn Requirements: Weapons have Brawn requirements in order to use the weapon without penalty in two hands. If your character's Brawn exceeds that, you can use it without penalty in one hand, unless it is Large in which case your Brawn must exceed it by 2. If the requirement exceeds your own Brawn score, you take a -10% penalty for each point exceeded on attacks with the weapon.
Size: Small weapons can be concealed in a pocket; Medium weapons can be concealed under a coat; Large weapons can be concealed in a car; Huge weapons do not really fit into cars.

Reload Times: The are measured in Simple actions.

A Note on Ammunition: Firearms are listed as having magazines, but this does not necessarily represent the number of actual bullets or projectiles, but the number of Attacks that may be made before needing to reload the weapon, given one Attack might very well be a burst.

Full Auto:
Weapons with this ability have three modes of fire: burst, spray-and-pray, and suppressive fire. These modes are detailed in chapter 6.

Damage Type: Weapons have a notation next to their name in brackets, indicating what kind of damage they deal. Ba is ballistic, bl is bludgeoning, fi is Fire, pr is piercing, and sl is slashing.
Weapon Damage Brawn SizeMagazineRangeReload TimeCostWeight
Axe (sl) 1d6+2 (sl) 4 M - - - $202 kg
Bottle (bl/sl) 1d6-2 (bl/sl) 2 S - 5m - $.50.1 kg
Bow (pr) 1d6+2 (pr) 8 L - 50m - $2001.5 kg
Brass Knuckle (bl) 1d6 2 S - - - $10 .25 kg
Cannon (ba) 10d10 30 H 1 300m 8 $1500420 kg
Chair (bl) 1d6+2 4 L - 5m - $108 kg
Club (bl) 1d6 2 M - - - Free1.5 kg
Corpse (bl) 2d6+2 12 L - 2m - Varies65+ kg
Crossbow (pr) 2d6 5 L 1 30m 2 $90 2.5 kg
Dart (10)(pr) 1d6-2 2 S - 5m - $5 .5 kg
Fists (bl) 1d3 0 - - - - Free -
Flamer (bl) 2d6+4 Fi 7 L 10 15m 5 $8006.5 kg
Glove, Combat (bl) 1d6-2 0 S - - - $20 .17 kg
Hammer (bl) 1d6+2 1 S - - - $2.5 .5 kg
Kicks (bl) 1d6 0 - - - - Free -
Knife (pr/sl) 1d6 1 S - - - $10 .25 kg
Machinegun** (ba) 4d6+2 14 H 50 150m 4 $75010.5 kg
Musket (ba) 3d6 4 L 1 20m 3 $200 3 kg
Pistol (ba) 2d6+2 3 S 10 20m 1 $5001 kg
Polearm* (bl/sl) 1d10 4 L - - - $754.5 kg
Rifle (ba) 2d10 5 L 5 100m 2 $3503.5 kg
Rock (bl) 1d6-2 0 - - 5m - Free 3 kg
Shield (bl 1d6 4 L - - - Varies Varies
Shotgun# (ba) 3d6+2 5 L 1 or 2 60m 1 or 2 $350 3.5 kg
Spear* (pr) 1d10 5 L - 10m - $54 kg
Staff* (bl) 1d6+2 4 L - - - $52 kg
Sword (pr/sl) 1d10 5 M - - - $751 kg
Trollhammer## (bl) 2d6+6 12 L 4 - 2 $4005 kg
Whip* (sl) 1d6-2 2 S - - - $15.25 kg

* Reach Weapon: Enemies moving within 2m of you provoke 1 free attack from you.
**Indicates this weapon can go Full-Auto
*** Deals 2d6 if empty.
- # 2d6+2 and gives +20% to hit within 30 metres.
- ## Deals just 2d6 damage when empty, and uses blank shotgun rounds.

Axe: Your standard wood-splitting axe, to start with.
- Battle axe: Raises damage to 1d10+2 and Brawn requirement to 6. $75
- Greataxe: Raises damage to 3d6, size to L, and Brawn requirement by 10. $150
- Hatchet: Reduces damage to 1d6-2, size to S, and Brawn requirement to 2. $10
Bottle: A simple bottle of glass that breaks after one hit. Optionally, the bottom may be broken by 1 attack, making the next (and last) attack 1d6 slashing damage.
Bow: A simple wooden bow, to start with.
- Longbow: Increase damage to 2d6+4, range to 70m, and Brawn requirement to 10. $300
- Composite: Increases damage to 2d10, but increases Brawn requirement by 10. $400
- Compound: Raise damage to 1d10+2, reduce Brawn requirement to 5, and reduce range by 10m. Ignores bow limits on Aiming. $300
- Recurve: Reduces size to Medium and increases damage by +4. Can be fired from on a mount. $300
Brass Knuckle: A metal device worn on the hands to boost damage. This also covers gauntlets and nekode.
- Nekode: Lower damage to 1d6-2 and changes it to slashing and piercing. Gives a +10% bonus
on Athletics (Climbing) checks.
- Trench Knife: Combines a knife with brass knuckles. Same damage, but switches freely between damage types. $15
Cannon: A breach-loaded cannon. Makes a big explosion on impact, with a 5m wide blast.
- Muzzle-Loaded: Older version, $-500 to cost, but increase reloading time by +4.
Chair: A normal chair, barstool, and what have you. Can be treated as a Light shield, if used defensively.
Club: An object you beat people with. Crowbars, body limbs, branches, rods, etc.
- Blackjack: Raise damage to 1d10 but all damage is non-lethal. $10
Corpse: An adult-size humanoid corpse. Dealing more damage in one attack than the Brawn requirement causes the corpse to become useless as a weapon.
Crossbow: A crank-powered ranged weapon that can be fired while prone. A favourite of assassins, hunters, and poachers.
- Gunlike: A crossbow can take applicable Gun mods.
- Repeating: Adds a box magazine with 10 shots and reduces reload speed by -1. $+75
- Arbalest: Increase damage to 2d10+2, range by 10m, Brawn requirement to 8, and reload speed by 1. $175
Dart: This covers darts, throwing knives, and similar ranged weapons.
Fists: If wielding a severed fist, treat as a dart that deals bludgeoning damage.
Flamer: Flamers are rifle-like flamethrowers with a 'quick' to replace fuel tank. Attacks with a Flamer are Easy and ignore the penalties from cover.
- Mods: Assault, Big Magazine, Compact, High Powered Ammo, Repeating
Glove, Combat: Weighted gloves that help you deal more damage while protecting the hand from some harm.
- Boxing Glove: Increases damage to 1d6, but deals non-lethal damage by default.
Hammer: A one-handed hammer; claw, ball-peen, roofing, doesn't matter.
- Warhammer: A hammer adapted to battle. Deals 1d10 damage and increases size to Medium. $60
- Greathammer: A big warhammer. Deals 2d6 damage, increases the Brawn requirement by 10 and increases size to Large. $250
- Sledgehammer: Increases damage to 1d10 and size to L, but deals double damage to objects. $10
Kicks: Self explanatory. If wielding a severed leg, treat as club.
Knife: This is a knife. It is a 1-handed weapon and it cuts and stabs.
- Ballistic: Adds a 1-shot pistol inside the handle, with a range of 5m, and a reload of 4. $75
- Main Gauche: A parrying dagger held in the off hand, gives a +5% bonus to parry attempts and functions as a normal dagger. $15
- Swordbreaker: A knife with hooks or prongs that help catch blades, giving it a +20% bonus on disarm attempts. $20
Machine Gun: A really big fully-automatic gun that is normally mounted to vehicles or turrets. Usually fed by belts and drums. The basic machinegun is a Light model.
- Mods: Assault, Heavy, Big Magazine, Tracer Ammo
Musket: A muzzle-loaded gun that lacks rifling by default. Obsolete for war, but cheap and often used for hunting. Causes a temporary Smoke Grenade effect if [insert mechanic]
- Mods: Assault, High Powered Ammo, Telescopic Sights
- Breach-Loading: Reduce reload speed by -1. $+25
- Rifling: Adds +30 metres to range and increases damage by +2. $+25
Pistol: A gun that fits in a hand with inferior damage to a rifle. On the plus side, they are much more concealable and only requires 1 hand to operate.
- Mods: Assault, Autofire, Big Magazine, High Powered Ammo, Laser Ammo, Repeating, Revolver, Silencer
Polearm: A polearm is a blade on the end of a stick. This covers all sorts of weapons with compound names.
- Chainblade: This is a modification that changes the leading edge into a chainsaw blade. Damage stays the same, but each hit deals 1 point of Brawn damage. $+300
Rifle: A basic rifle is considered to be single-shot, requiring a Simple action to reload after each shot. The following options transform the rifle into various kinds of rifle variants.
- Mods: Assault Weapon, Autofire, Big Magazine, Bolt-Action, High Powered Ammo, Laser Ammo, Repeating, Telescopic Sights
Rock: Covers fist sized rocks, bricks, and cobblestones.
Shield: The base damage covers Light and Heavy shields.
- Buckler: Change damage to 1d6-2 and size to S.
- Knuckle: Change damage to 1d10 and Brawn requirement to 8
- Tower: Change damage to 1d10 and Brawn requirement to 10.
Shotgun: The base shotgun is a single-shot model, requiring a Simple Action to reload after each shot.
- Mods: Assault Weapon, Autofire, Big Magazine, Double Barrelled, High Powered Ammo, Pump, Repeating
Spear: A long pole with something pointy on the end. The King of Weapons.
- Pike: increases size to Huge, reach by 2m and adds +2 damage. $75
Staff: A long wooden pole without any sharp or point bits. The grandfather of all weapons.
- Full-Staff: Adds +1m to reach and increases damage to 1d10+2. $50
Sword: A longsword by default, such as a jian or English longsword. The Queen of Weapons.
- Dueling: A thin and agile rapier, sabre, etc. Deals 1d6+2 damage and gives a +20% bonus on Disarm and Parry rolls. $75
- Greatsword: A massive sword. Deals 2d6 damage, increases Brawn requirement by 10 and adds +1m to reach. $200
- Shortsword: A sword with a short blade, like a gladius or butterfly sword. Lowers damage to 1d6 and reduces size to Small. $30
- Chainblade: This is a modification that changes the leading edge into a chainsaw blade. Damage stays the same, but each hit deals 1 point of Brawn damage. $+300
Trollhammer: The Trollhammer is universally acknowledged to be a terribly awkward and unreliable weapon, and sees almost no military use. However, given the terrifying psychological effect of being hit by a giant exploding hammer, it has a reputation as a preferred weapon of organized crime enforcers.
- Mods: Assault, Big Magazine, High Powered Ammo
Whip: A long leather whip that does non-lethal damage.
- Scourge: A whip with metal barbs and other nasty features that boost damage to 1d6 and does lethal damage. $25

Gun Templates and Modifications: Pick 2 and add to your firearm. Each mod must be paid for, unless you're purposefully getting a bare-bones model.
- Assault Weapon: Superficial features make the gun black and scary looking, giving a +20% bonus on Persuasion (Intimidate) rolls. Does not provide Autofire. $25
- Autofire: Allows the gun to use Autofire attacks. $150
- Big Magazine: Doubles the ammunition each time chosen. $50
- Compact: Reduces weapon size by 1. $100
- Double-Barreled: Adds a second barrel to the gun, granting 2 shots before reloading, or just 1 with 1 extra damage die. Incompatible with Manual Action, Repeating, and Autofire.
- Heavy: This changed a Light machinegun to a heavy model, increasing damage to 2d10+6 and the Brawn requirement by +15. $400, 38 kg
- High Powered Ammo: Adds +4 to damage. $100
- Laser Ammo: Damage changes to [Fire] type and adds 1 die of damage. $200
- Manual Action: This covers bolt, lever and pump action guns. Increases magazine size to 6, increases damage by +2. Incompatible with Autifire. $25
- Repeating: Allows the gun to fire without needing to reload after each shot and increases magazine size to 10. $75
- Revolver: Change magazine to 6, raise damage to 2d10+2, and change jams into duds. $50
- Silencer: Bystanders incur a penalty to Awareness (Hearing) rolls to hear your shots, equal to -1% per meter away from the shooter. $50
- Telescopic Sights: Increases range by 50%, but you take a -20% penalty to Dodge and Parry attempts while using it. $100
- Tracer Ammo: Gives a +20% bonus to Marksmanship when using Autofire past 30 metres. $100

ARMOUR
Armour Ballistics DRER Melee DRCostWeight
Ballistic Clothing**2 0 0$1253.5 kg
Ballistic Vest 5 3 1 $5004.5 kg
Breastplate 4 4 5$50015 kg
Chain Mail 2 2 4$35017 kg
Flak Jacket *6 3 2$5008.5 kg
Helmet 1 1 1$502.5 kg
Helmet, Ballistic 2 1 1$751.5 kg
Leather 1 1 3$2007.5 kg
Plate Mail *#4 6 9$100025 kg
Tough Clothing1 2 2$1203 kg
Riot Gear *#9 6 3$110012 kg
War Plate *#6 6 10$150045 kg
ShieldBallistics DRER Melee DRCostWeight
Buckler 1 1 1 $752 kg
Heavy2 2 3 $1256.5 kg
Knuckle 1 1 2$1004 kg
Light2 1 2 $1003 kg
Riot Shield9 2 3 $2005 kg
Tower## 4 6 6$15014 kg

* Comes with helmet, -1 DR if not wearing one
** Can be worn with other armour.
# Heavy: Athletics checks while wearing these is Difficult
## Attacks with Tower shields take a -20% penalty unless the weapon is Medium or less in size, or a spear.

Ballistic Clothing: Tough clothing made out of bullet resistant materials.
Ballistic Vest: A concealable vest made out of bullet-resistant materials.
Buckler: A small, handheld shield roughly 15cm wide. Grants a +10% parry bonus.
Breastplate: A metal carapace that covers the front and back. May or may not involve fake muscles and exaggerated chests.
Chain Mail: A shirt made out of interlocking rings that hangs down to the mid-thigh and covers the arms, and some also cover the head. Weight tends to pinch on the shoulders.
Flak Jacket: A tough bullet-resistant coat with ceramic plates and bullet resistant materials.
Heavy Shield: An 80cm wide shield made out of metal and/or wood. Grants a +30% parry bonus.
Helmet: It's a helmet, usually made of leather and/or metal.
Helmet, Ballistic: A helmet made out of bullet-resistance materials.
Leather: Hardened leather armour.
Light Shield: An 40cm wide shield made out of metal and/or wood. Grants a +20% parry bonus.
Plate Mail: Articulated plates atop a suit of chain mail. Tough, protective, and cool looking. All the knights want a sweet set of this armour.
Tough Clothing: Tough clothing, often made of leather and canvas.
Riot Gear: A more modern take on full-body projection, designed to stop firearms, and is lighter than Plate Mail.
Riot Shield: As the tower shield, but the penalty is instead -10%.
Tower Shield: A wide, door-like shield that works great for defensive purposes. Unfortunately the bulk causes a -20% penalty on attacks unless the weapon is Medium or less in size, or a spear. It grants no parry bonus, but the user can hide behind it as a Simple action each round to gain Cover.
War Plate: The next step up from plate mail; this makes you a walking mountain of metal. People in warplate are usually stationary guards, but the occasional Menhir-powered warlord has been known to battle in this armour.

SPECIAL MATERIALS:
MaterialCostWeight
Adamantine $+5000 x 1.5
Mithral $+1000 x .50
Orichalcum$+4000 x 1.25

Adamantine: The toughest metal known, people say it has to be forged in volcanos or with dragon's breath: they're not wrong. Adamantine is tough as hell, non-corroding, and is the best material known for stopping physical force. Adamantine boosts all DR and ER by 5 points.
Mithral: Mithral is a light-weight metal that looks almost like platinum but is stronger than steel. The Alfar are the main users of mithral, as they're the main supplier of the metal, and covet it greatly. Mithral weapons and armour weigh 1/2 normal; they also gain a +1 bonus to DR, ER, and damage.
Orichalcum: An extremely durable and tough copper-coloured metal found deep inside mountains that resists magic. Orichalcum armour gives a 25% bonus on saving throws against magic, while weapons can try to dispel magic (as per the spell at level 2) with a Difficult attack.

ASSORTED ITEMS:
Item CostWeight
Ammunition (arrow)(30) $1 .5 kg
Ammunition (firearm)(20)$5 1 kg
Backpack$3 1 kg
Backpack (framed)$5 2 kg
Bedroll $5 2.5 kg
Caltrops $5 1 kg
Candle (5)$.5 -
Canteen (1.2L)$1 .25 kg (1.5 kg full)
Chain (4m)$15 2 kg
Field Medicine Kit$150 10 kg
First Aid Kit$10 2 kg
Flashlight $20 -
Flask (.25L)$1 -
Flint and Steel $1 -
Grappling hook $10 2 kg
Handcuffs $10 .2 kg
Handcuffs, Reinforced $150 .5 kg
Ink$4 -
Lantern $2 1kg
Lantern oil (.5L)$1 .5kg
Lighter $10 -
Lock (Cheap)$20 .5 kg
Lock (Average)$40 .5 kg
Lock (Good)$80 .5 kg
Lock (Masterwork)$180 .5 kg
Map case$2 .25 kg
Mirror, small$10 -
Notebook $1 -
Paper (50) $.10 -
Parchment (50) $.05 -
Pencil (20)$1 -
Pen $1 -
Pole (4m)$2 2.5 kg
Rope, hemp (20m) $5 5kg
Rope, silk (20m) $10 2.5kg
Tarp (3x3m)$3 5 kg
Tent$10 10 kg
Tent (4-man)$30 35 kg
Tools $100 5 kg
Tools, Shop $1000 230+ kg
Torch $0.5 .5 kg
Special Substances
Acid (flask) $25 .25 kg
Antitoxin $25 -
Promethium (.5L)$1 .5 kg
Starlight (.3L)$350 per level 1 kg
Clothing
Average Clothing$15
Cheap Clothing$7
Combat Fatigues $8
Expensive Clothing $30
Food, Drink, and Lodging
Item Cost Weight
Banquet (per person) $25 -
Beer
- Bottle (.3L) $1 .2 kg
- Mug $.5 -
- Pitcher (2L)$5 3.5 kg
Hotel/Inn
- Fancy $12 -
- Average $6 -
- Cheap $3 -
Meals (per day)
- Fancy $6 -
- Average $4 -
- Cheap $2 -
- Rations $5 .5 kg
Drinks/Shots
- Fancy $5 -
- Average $3 -
- Cheap $1 -
Spirits
- Fancy (1.2L) $20 1 kg
- Average (1.2L) $10 1 kg
- Cheap (1.2L) $5 1 kg
Mounts and Related Gear
Item Cost Weight
Armourx4 x2
Bicycle 15 kg
Big Horse $2000 -
Donkey or mule$40 -
Fast Horse$2000 -
Feed (per day)$.20 5 kg
Fuel (per 100 km)(13L)$15 9.5 kg
Motorcycle$2500 230 kg
Parking (per day)$.50 -
Pony $150 -
Saddle$50 10 kg
Saddlebags$20 4 kg
Stabling (per day)$5 -
Services
Service Cost
Coach Cab$.75 per km
Magic Spell level * $5
Messenger $.10 per km
Mercenary (Average)$30 per day (standby)
Mercenary (Cheap)$10 per day (standby)
Mercenary (Expensive)$50 per day (standby)
Minion (trained)$.50 per day
Minion (untrained)$.10 per day
Rickshaw $.5 per km
Road or gate toll $.10
Ship's passage $2 per km

Equipment:
Field Medicine Kit: This doctor's bag has 10 uses and increases the HP regained by +5, gives a +10% skill bonus, and allows for surgery in the field. Replenishing it costs $50.
Pole: A 4m long pole that unscrews into 4 pieces. Useful for poking hazards from a distance. The result of a trap arms race.
Ration: Preserved food that will feed a normal humanoid for a day. Flavour and quality vary immensely and is unpleasant to eat for long durations.
Rope (hemp): This rope has 2 HP and takes a Difficult Brawn saving throw to break.
Rope (silk): This rope has 4 HP and takes a Difficult Brawn saving throw to break. Its suppleness gives a +20% bonus on relevant Rigging checks.
Tools: Specialty tools grant a +10% bonus on a particular specialty of a skill (assuming such a tool makes sense), as they are just the right thing to get the job done.
Tools, Shop: This covers anything from a chemistry lab to an auto garage to an operating room. This equipment grants a +25% bonus on a particular skill specialization.

Clothing:
Combat Fatigues: Military uniforms for use in combat situations. Durable and often flashy.
- Camoflage Clothing: Clothing with patterns that help disrupt the wearer's outline, giving +10% bonus to Stealth checks within the appropriate terrain type.

Special Substances:
Antitoxin: If consumed, gives a +25% bonus on Brawn saves against poisons for an hour.
First Aid Kit: Each kit has 10 uses and increases the HP regained by the Medicine skill by +2 per use.

Mounts and Related Gear:

EQUIPMENT PACKAGES:

Adventurer:
4m pole, 12 rations, 3x canteen, lantern w/ 3 days oil, bedroll, mapcase, notebook w/ pencils.

Archer:

Assassin
Good Compound bow, good tough clothing

Engineer:

Hunter:
Bow, spear

Law Enforcer:

Mercenary:

Soldier:
Sword, Heavy Shield

Thief:

Warrior:
Repeating Crossbow,

Gang Thug:
Cheap pistol, tough clothing, brass knuckles
Package Cost: $350

Mob Enforcer:
Cheap Ballistic vest, Trollhammer, knife, cheap silenced pistol, 1x pistol ammunition (20), blackjack, Leisure suit
Package Cost: $950

Space Marine:
Laser rifle (Big Magazine, Laser, Repeating), Sawed-Off Shotgun (Pump, Compact), Breastplate or Flak Jacket, canteen, 3 rations, flashlight, knife, buckler, hatchet, 5x rifle ammunition (100), 5x shotgun ammunition (100), notebook w/ pencils.
Package Cost: 1750

Street Samurai:
Ballistic Clothing, Good Chainmail, Good Sword, knife, blackjack, canteen, 1 ration, notebook w/ pen.
Package Cost: $750

Wastelander:
Chainmail, helmet, bolt-action rifle, sword, knife, 6 day ration, 3x canteen, lantern w/ 3 days oil, bedroll, mapcase, notebook w/ pencils.
Package Cost: $875
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:45 am, edited 18 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 5=
MAGIC:

TYPES OF MAGIC:
There are three types of magic: Celestial, Menhir and Akashic.

Celestial
Celestial magic comes from, and is inspired by the stars. Celestial magic typically involves performing effects by affecting specially prepared props or items, but not always. Celestial magic warps reality, calls down the elements and generally does the things wizards are thought to do.

Menhir
Menhir magic is the most ancient form of magic, a primal force that comes from the bones of the earth itself. This magic rarely requires true study or training, indeed it is an inherent part of the practitioner, allowing to them do 'impossible feats'. Menhirs can be mighty heroes and villains, the dragon slaughtering a village, or mythical beasts or even 'living' locations.

Akashic:
Akashic at its heart is the fusion of magic with technology. You have a bond with tech, and can make things work better or different than they ought to. In fact, things sometimes work simply because the technomancer things it should. A gun shoots because it's a gun, even if it is broken inside or lacks bullets.

Magic and Levels:
Spells are learned in levels, and can be cast at any level you know, to a maximum of your caster limit. Your caster limit is 1/2 your Intelligence attribute, rounded up.

For instance, the Flame spell costs 2 Essence per level, which means unlocking Flame level 3 would cost 6 Essence.

Sometimes a race or MC given discount may reduce the cost of learning a spell by half, which is awesome. The cost of a spell cannot be less than 1 per level, which is less awesome, but better for the game.

Magic and Initiative:
Casting a spell delays your Initiative by 5% per level, but a spell doesn't always have to be cast at full capacity.

Rarity:
Rarity is how hard it is to find the magic you want. Fairly simple. Common is easy as hell, so you can basically find it anywhere; bread and butter type stuff.
Uncommon is a bit harder to find, but with some favors or large sums of cash you can get them.

Rare is like, finding and then learning from Pai Mei. Or finding the Lost City of Timmeh to find the Narcolet Scrolls.

Then are is 'Unique', which is a spell either only usable by a single person, or simply a spell created by someone. This doesn't necessary mean you can't learn it, but you'd have to find the person, like with Rare. On the other hand, any spell you create is also Unique to start with.

Spells vs Powers:
Basically, spells are magical effects that require power points to be spent in order to work at all, while powers are permanent buffs that sometimes can be boosted by expending power points.

POWERS:
ARMOURED FLESH
Power Type: Celestial, Menhir, Akashic
Rarity: Uncommon
Casting Time: Free Action
Range/Area: Personal
Duration: Always On/1 round
Cost Per Level: 1 MP / 2 Essence
"Your weapons cannot harm me! Don't you know who I am?"
Your body is hard to injure thanks to it being infused with magic. This gives you 1 point of Damage Reduction per level, but it only gives half the benefit if combined with armour. If MP is spent the benefits are doubled for 1 round.

BESTIAL WEAPONS [Transformation]
Rarity: Common
Casting Time: Simple Action
Duration: Always On
Cost Per Level: 1 MP / 1
"My, what big teeth you have."
You form claws and fangs that can rip and tear, which can disappear with MP spent as normal. You gain claws and a bite attack, dealing 1d6 damage. If you already have claws, increase damage by 1 die (ie 1d6 to 2d6, 1d10 to 2d10, etc).

BIGGER ATTRIBUTE (SPECIFIC)
Duration: Permanent
Cost Per Level: None MP / 2 Essence per point
Each level adds 2 points to one of the character's Attribute score, changing any relevant derived stats or skills.

BLACK SUN FIST [Force]
Power Type: Menhir
"It's clobbering time!"
You gain +2 to damage for unarmed attacks. For each level the bonus increases by +1. Spending MP doubles the benefits for one round.

BLOODLUST [Healing]
Cost Per Level: None or 2 MP / 2 Essence
"You are huge! This means you have huge guts!"
Stabbing people in the face invigorates you and gets your juices flowing. You heal 1 HP per level on every successful attack. Spending MP doubles the healing received for 1 round.

CATFALL [Force]
Cost Per Level: None or 1 MP / 1 Essence
You reduce falling damage by 1d6 per level. You may also land on your feet if you want. If 1 MP is spent, benefits double for one minute.

CHEAP TRICKS
Range/Area:
Duration: 15 minutes per level
Cost Per Level: 0 MP / 1 Essence
"It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit."
This power lets you do dramatic parlour tricks with your magic. Each level lets you use one of the following abilities at a time, and are a Simple action to activate. Here are some examples:

- Make something hot or cold
- Subtly shake surrounding objects with each step
- Light cigars and stuff
- Make things taste or smell different
- Clearly fake illusions
- Make flimsy objects

CLOAK OF STEALTH [Light][Mind]
Power Type: Menhir, Akashic
Cost Per Level: None or 3 MP / 1
"If I was invisible~ MP / I could just watch you in your room~"
Through clever positioning, psychological tricks and slight bending of light you gain a 5% bonus on Stealth checks. With each level the bonus increases by 5%, to a max of 30%. If MP is spent, double the skill bonus for 1 minute.

COMBAT SCHOOL (SPECIFIC)
Rarity: Personal
Cost Per Level: 0 MP / 1 Essence
"Jim, try to remember the basics of BBQ."
Make up some sort of fighting style, and tie it to a weapon or two, and give it a name. This gives you a bonus when using said weapons using the style. Each level grants a +5% bonus to hit and every two levels gives +1 to damage.

DEEP POCKETS
Power Type: All
Range/Area: Touch
Cost Per Level: None MP / 2 Essence
"Let me pull a rabbit out of my hat..."
This spell makes a pocket dimension whose entrance is a pocket, bag or other similar storage space holds more than it should. The spell holds 5 kilograms to start, and adds 5kg per level. The pocket stores any object it has weight capacity to hold, contorting and stretching to fit. If the container is destroyed the contents are inaccessible until the spell is cast again.

DEFLECT
Cost Per Level: None or 2 MP / 4 Essence
"The hand is quicker than the eye."
Parries against ranged attacks using weapons are merely Difficult tests, rather than Improbable.
A second level improves it another step (Normal), and a third lets you automatically parry the attack.

If a parry attempt is successful, you may spend MP to reflect a ranged attack back at its origin.

DUAL WIELDING
Cost Per Level: None MP / 6 Essence
"Booze isn't the only thing I dual wield."
You can dual wield much more effectively than most. When dual wielding you gain a bonus attack using your off-hand, but it is considered Difficult. At second level this is lowered to Normal difficulty.

EIDETIC MEMORY [Mind]
Power Type: Akashic
Rarity:
Casting Time:
Cost Per Level: None / 2 Essence
Your character recalls information perfectly. On a successful INT test, a character can remember something they witnessed or read in perfect detail from up to 3*Will years ago. Perception checks can be made while in a memory to attempt to gain additional information. No, you cannot remember events before your own age.

FLEET OF FOOT
Duration: Always On / 1 minute per level
Cost Per Level: 1 MP / 1 Essence
"I've got the need... The need for speed."
You base move speed increases by 1 metre per level. You can double the benefit for 1 round by spending PP.

INVISIBLE TOUCH [Force]
Power Type: Celestial
Casting Time:
Range/Area: 5 metres
Cost Per Level: None MP / 1 Essence
"Today, no cookie jars are safe."
You can move and manipulate up to 2 kilograms per level as though you had it in your hands, even weapons. Complex actions like picking locks and the like are Difficult.

LIGHTNING RELOAD
Casting Time:
"Of course I reload, I'm just too fast for you."
You reload or ready your next shot really fast. For every level of this power, reloading time is reduced by 1 action. Thus a character with an arbalest with LIGHTNING RELOAD level 2 could fire once per round, instead of once every other round..

MARA'S VEIL [Illusion]
Casting Time:
"Are you really twenty-one?"
This spell shifts your apparent age by up to 5 years up or down per level. You still look like you, merely at a different point in time. Even people familiar with you might not recognise you by at first glance, requiring an Easy Notice check.

MOAR HEALTH [Transformation]
Casting Time:
Cost Per Level: None MP / 1 Essence per level
Extra Health increases maximum Hit Points by 3 per level of Extra Hit Points.

MOAR POWER [Transformation]
Casting Time:
Cost Per Level: None MP / 1 Essence per 3 additional power points
Moar Power increases maximum Power Points by 3 per level.

POWER SLIDE
"Phew, that was a close one!"
When hit by an attack you slide with it to reduce damage. Each level allows you to slide 1m for every 3 points of damage negated by this power. If your path is stopped, you and the blockage take 1d6 damage for every remaining metre, possibly sending you through obstacles.

RAZOR WIND [Force]
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level
Cost Per Level: None MP / 2 Essence
"Sonic BOOM!"
Your melee attacks gain a ranged mode, due to vacuum effects, air blades, or whatever. Your attacks are rolled as normal, but they can target distant targets within this range. Each level increases the range by 15 metres

ROLL WITH IT
Duration: Always On/1 Round
"Spotted Horse cannot be killed by a bullet!"
When hit, you can can boost your DR by 3 points per level as a reactive action, and this lasts 1 round.

SPLATTERFEST [Necromancy]
Casting Time:
"Blood for Odin!"
When you kill an enemy, a spray of gore makes all targets within range blind for one round, Agility checks stop this. Optionally, the ground within range becomes slippery, forcing Agility checks to move at normal speed. Each level increases the Agility check difficulty by 1 step.

WALL CRAWLER
Cost Per Level: 0 MP / 2 Essence
"Does whatever a spider can~"
Climbing a surface becomes 1 step easier per level for skill checks.

SPELLS:

AIRWALK [Force][Air]
"It was the freshest move I've ever seen; like he was floating on air."
You walk on air as if it were solid ground. Each metre of height gained costs 2 metres of movement.

AMMO CHEAT
Power Type: Sorcerer, Technomancer
Range/Area: Touch / 1 gun
Duration: 1 round per level
"I don't care if its out of ammo; I used the Exaltation of Ia'Widges."
Any gun you touch during casting no longer requires ammunition for the duration of the spell.

AMPLIFY
Duration: Instant
"My spells go to eleven."
Your next power has its effects increased. Powers with areas of effect have their area increased by 1 metre per level. Spells with a range of 10 metres or less gain 1 metre per level.

ARMY OF ONE [Shadow]
Rarity: Rare
Casting Time:
Cost Per Level: 8 MP / 8
"Me and what army? This one, chucklehead!"
You make a convincing clone of yourself using magic and shadows. Each level creates one clone which shares all your ability scores. Each level creates one clone, but if they go father than 30 metres from you they dispel.

Your clone can use any of your skills and cast powers you know, but it draws from your MP supply. Clones cannot make magical items or cast spells that require permanent ability damage. Clones have just 5 HP and take a 5% penalty to all skills per level. Your clones are loyal to you and will follow even suicidal commands.

ATMA STRIKER
Cost Per Level: 2 MP / 2 Essence
"I'm gonna beat the magic out of you, freak."
You like to hit enemies right in the soul, draining their Mana. Each level deals 1d6 damage to the target's Mana Points.

AUGMENT WEAPON
Casting Time: Complex Action
Range/Area: Touch / 1 weapon per level
"You know why this works? I used the chant of Idgaf. Works every time."
You temporarily treat a weapon as having a weapon modification, switch an existing one for another, or to change the material of the weapon.

For instance, a technomancer's level 2 spell might give a revolver the Autofire and Tracer Ammo mods or turn a longsword into a greatsword with a chainsaw blade.
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range/Area: None
"GOOD LUCK, I'M BEHIND SEVEN PROXIES!"
You make a convincing copy of yourself using things like clay or snow. This copy of you shares all your ability scores save Will. To give your avatar a Will score you must sacrifice one half of your Will score (rounded down), which gives the avatar a Will equal to that amount. Additional avatars created by another avatar have half again that amount, and so on. Your Will score remains reduced that way until you dismiss the spell or the avatar is killed, changing the ability penalty to you into ability damage, which heals at the standard rate.
For example Jim has INT 10 and Will 18, giving his avatar 9 Will and leaving him with 9. The avatar creates another of itself, leaving each avatar with 4 Will.
Your avatar can cast powers you know, but only has as many as its stats permit. If an avatar makes another avatar, it uses its own Will for the spell. Avatars cannot make magical items or cast spells that require permanent ability damage.
Your avatar is loyal to you and will follow even suicidal commands. If your avatar is slain, your sacrificed points heal at the normal rate for ability damage.

BACKSTAB [Travel]
"Sorry to 'pop-in' unannounced."
You teleport behind a target within range unnoticed and immediately make a sneak attack, treating your attack roll as Easy. Each additional level increases range by 10 metres.

BATTLE CRY [Mind][Sonic]
Range/Area: 5 metres + 1 per level
Duration: 1 minute per level
Cost Per Level: 4 MP / 4 Essence
"KIAI!"
All hostiles within range must pass Will tests or become scared of you. They will do their best to avoid you, and take a 10% penalty on attacks. At level 2 they will attempt to flee from you.

BERSERK [Mind][Transformation]
"I told you, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
You fly into a berserker rage, shrugging off damage that would kill lesser men, overpowering attacks on your mind, and fuelling your blows with rage. Your Brawn score is treated as 5 points higher for the purposes of Melee Damage Bonus and for Damage Resistance, and you are also given a 10% bonus on Will tests. Each level increases the Brawn bonus by +5 and the Will bonus by 10%

BLIND
"Pocket sand!"
You make a target blind for the duration of the spell. This can be made Permanent for 1 point of Will damage, requiring healing magic and a Will test to overcome the effect.

BLINK [Travel]
Range/Area: Distant
"Bamf!"
You can teleport yourself to any place you can see within the power's range. Each additional level increases range by 100 metres.

BOLT [Shock]
Power Type: Celestial, Akashic
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level
" "
A blast of lightning dealing 1D6 shock damage per level to everything in a circle 1 meter in diameter. The blast area widens by 1 metre for every 2 levels. Bolt spells get a +1 bonus per level on wet targets or ones that have been hit with frost damage within the last round.

BOOST ATTRIBUTE SCORE [Transformation]
"You ain't seen shit I got the strength of a bear. That has the strength of ten gorillas. I'll kill you dead."
The caster can increase the Brawn, Agility, Intelligence, or Will of their target by 1 per spell level.

BRAIN FOOD [Divination][Necromancy]
Duration: 15 minutes
"Needs a little salt."
You eat brains to gain their knowledge. You can "ask" the brain one question per caster level and unasked questions are wasted if the duration expires. The knowledge is limited to what the target knew during life.

CHAOTIC MISDIRECTION [Geas]
Power Type: Celestial, Menhir
Duration: 1 minute
Cost Per Level: 3 MP /2
"Friendly fire, isn't."
While the power is in effect, you may select a single attack each round that is made by anyone and modify its chances of success or failure. Each level of this gives a 10% modifier that can be a bonus or penalty to an attack. If the attack fails by 50% or more, choose a target within 3 metres of the intended victim, and the attack hits them instead.

CHARGE SHOT [Force]
"Imma chargin' mah lazor!"
You shoot a ball of energy at a single target using an attack roll. The target takes 1d10 damage for every spell level.

COLD SNAP [Cold][Shadow][Weather]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 100 metres
Duration: 1 hour per level
Cost Per Level: 6 MP / 6 Essence
" "
Lowers the temperature to -30C and dampens the area with shadow. All [Cold] effects within spell range gain +1 damage per damage die, and all [Fire] suffer -1 damage per die. This spell cancels out Desert Sun.

COMBAT DRONE
Cost Per Level: 3 MP / 2 Essence
"GO FOR THE EYES!"
You create a magical construct around a symbolic object, such as an origami figure; these are known as combat drones. A drone has a maximum speed of Rapid Jog and deals 1d6 damage (20 metres + 5 per level) per level and has 5 HP per level. A drone uses the caster's skills for attacking. A combat drone has the following statistics:
B I W A
3/0/0/3

Saving Throws:
B I W A
15/0/0/15

CORPSE EXPLOSION [Necromancy]
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level MP / 1 metre
Duration: Permanent, or until triggered
"It'll be a closed casket, I'm afraid."
You turn a corpse into a bomb, making gory and damaging explosions. The bomb has a blast area 1 metre wide and deals 1d6 damage per level within the blast area. Every 2 additional levels increases the blast area by 1 metre. Additionally, the ground within 3 metres of the explosion is considered [difficult] due to bones and slippery gore.
Triggering the explosion costs 1 MP per level. You can have up to six corpses attuned to you at a time, and additional casting cause the earliest corpse to go inert.

CORRESPOND
Range/Area: 10 kilometres + 1 per level
"Dear John..."
You attune a pair of scrolls, diaries, or similar so that they can transmit written text across long distances. You can send your Will score in words per minute, but received text has no such restrictions. This spell ends when the sender or receiver runs out of writing space. Each additional level increases range by 10 kilometres.

CRASHING WAVE [Travel]
Casting Time:
"You can't catch soup with chopsticks"
You make a charging attack at double your normal speed, and your movement cannot be stopped by any obstacle with any kind of gap. It cannot be blocked or intercepted by others, you cannot be tripped or slowed on the way. A second additional level triples your speed, the third quadruples, etc.

CRUMBLE [Transformation]
Casting Time:
Duration: Instantaneous
"WORLD SHAKING!"
You don't cause an earthquake, you just break the ground up into tiny pieces so that otherwise stable ground becomes loose sand and dirt. This extends out in a line, cone or circle with a maximum distance equal to the range of the spell. Everyone standing on the ground finds movement extremely difficult, giving a +10% bonus on trip or knockdown attacks and -20% on Agility and Athletics tests within the affected area. Additionally, those attempting to run or charge on the spell's affected area must make a Difficult Agility test or fall prone. The ground settles after a hard rain or a week's time. This is also useful for plowing fields or preparing the ground for digging projects.

DASH [Travel]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / Personal
Duration: Instantaneous
“I'll be there in a sonic second.”
You instantly run the spell range, but each obstacle costs 5 metres in distance. Each level increases the distance by 100 metres

DEATHBLOW [Necromancy]
Casting Time: Uncommon
Cost Per Level: 6, plus 1 point of Will MP / 6 Essence
"You are already dead."
You attack your target with a deadly strike, pitting you against the target in a Brawn test. If you succeed, take 1 point of Will damage and the target is instantly killed. If you fail the point is not sacrificed and the target takes damage as normal.

DESERT SUN [Fire][Light][Weather]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 100 metres
"Might as well be walkin' on the sun~"
Raises the temperature to 50C and fills the area with brutal desert sunlight. All [Fire] effects within spell range gain +1 damage per damage die, and all [Cold] suffer -1 damage per die. This spell cancels out Cold Snap.

DETECT HOSTILE INTENT [Divination][Mind]
Range/Area: Personal MP / 5 metres + 1 per level
"I can sense your bloodlust from here, chuckles. BRING IT!"
If someone wants to hurt or kill you, and they're in range, you know about it. Awareness tests to locate these hostiles are considered Easy. Additionally, you gain a +5% bonus per level on Athletics checks to avoid damage by hostile targets in the area.

DETECT MAGIC [Divination][Mind]
Range/Area: Personal MP / 20 metres + 5 per level
"Taste the rainbow."
Each kind of magic has a different signature, and this spell is simply extends the detection spectum of your senses to detect them. Technomancy manifests as strong ultraviolet light in circuit-like patterns. Menhir magic is sensed as kind of a low bass hum, less a sound than a subtle wrongness in the 'frequency' of the world. Celestial magic manifests as brilliant tastes and scents that are difficult to describe with normal language, roughly the olfactory equivalent of what a brilliant, shifting rainbow is to sight.
What information your character gathers depends on how long they spend searching:
1st round: You detect the presence or absence of magic in the area..
2nd round: You determine the strength and location of each aura.
3rd round: You can identify any magical effects within range with a successful Magecraft check. This works on any objects or creatures within the area. [b]Aura Potency ( Count)[/b] [/td][/tr]
WeakAverageStrongIntense
≤ 4 ≤ 8 ≤ 12 ≥ 16

A spell's aura or signature lingers for a time, even after the magic finishes. A Weak spell lasts for 1 minute per level, Average for 15 minutes per level, Strong for 1 hour per level, and 1 day per level for Intense

DISINTEGRATE [Transformation]
Cost Per Level: 10 MP / 6 Essence
"All you are is dust in the wind."
You shoot a chartreuse beam of destruction, which turns the creature or object into a pile of dust. The target must succeed on Difficulty Brawn test or be disintegrated at the cost of 1 point of Will drain, but if they pass they take 5d6 damage. This affects 27 cubic metres of non-living matter.

DISPEL MAGIC
You rip spells apart with your talent, and Will test. Dispel magic negates 1 level of a spell per Dispel's level if you succeed an opposed Will saving throw.

DRAGON'S BREATH [Elemental][Fire]
Range/Area: Brawn x 1 metres MP / 3 metres
Duration: 1 round
"I'm hot-blooded, check and see~ MP / I've got a fever of a hundred and three~"
You spew a gout of flame 3 metres wide with a distance equal to your Brawn attribute. This does 4d6 damage and sets flammable objects aflame. Each level increases damage by 2d6.

Variants of this spell can deal frost, shock and other energy types.

DRAGON SLAYER [Elemental]
Range/Area: 300 metres + 10 per level MP / 50 metres
Cost Per Level: 10 MP / 10
"Darker than blackest pitch, deeper than..."
A powerful spell originally made to slay dragons and other powerful monsters. All within the area take 10d6 damage, dealing double damage to unattended objects. Each additional level increases damage by 10d6. Additionally, Dragon Slayer has a +40% bonus on penetrating magic resistance.

EMPATHIC HEALING [Transformation][Necromancy]
Rarity:
"Brother, let me shoulder your burden."
You heal the target by taking their wounds onto yourself. Each level removes 3 HP of damage from the target and gives 2 points to you.

ENERGY TRANSFER [Transformation][Necromancy]
Cost Per Level: 2 MP / 2
"He's a magic man~ MP / He's got magic hands~"
Each level of this spell lets you transfer 1 MP to a willing target.

Alternatively, this power can be used offensively by leeching off an unwilling target. In that case, you must succeed in a Will vs Will test. If you succeed you force them to send you 2 MP per level.

ENERGY RESISTANCE [Elemental]
Protect against 2 points of damage per spell level of energy damage, such as from Flame or Lightning spells. This affects each individual attack (such as multiple fire-based attacks in one round).

ENERGY WEAPON [Elemental]
Rarity:
"Flame on!"
Your weapon or natural weapon of choice is infused with an energy type of your choice, but it doesn't hurt you. While under this spell all weapon damage is converted to the specified energy type, and gains +1 damage every level.

ENHANCE WEAPON
Granst a weapon an enhancement bonus to attacks and damage. Each level raises attack by +5%. Multiple levels can be distributed against multiple targets (2 levels against one weapon and 1 against another, etc). Multiple castings don't stack.

EXPLOSIVE SHOT
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 3 metres
"BOOM, headshot!"
When you shoot people with weapons or spells, you like to spread the love. On each successful attack during the duration, your initialtarget takes 1d6 extra damage, and all in the area take 1d3+1 points of damage from shrapnel, magical energy, or whatever. Each level increases the initial damage by 1d6 and the splash damage by 1d3+1.

FATED STRIKE [Geas]
Range/Area: Touch (Celestial) or Personal (Menhir)
"Flavour text."
By casting the spell you reverse the causality of events, so that the cause of "sword being thrown" comes from the effect of "the opponent's face being stabbed" by it. Actually moving your weapon to attack is just a formality, as the weapon as already hit before the attack has even been launched.

Choose a target within line of sight and a weapon. You automatically hit that target with your chosen weapon, gaining +3 bonus to damage per level. You hit, no matter what your MC says. No, it doesn't have to make sense.

FEATHERWEIGHT
"PILLOWFIIIIIGHT!"
You touch an object and reduce its weight to 1/10th normal.

FIREBALL [Fire][Force]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 10 m
"I love the smell of sulfur in the morning."
You cause a massive fireball to explode at the point of impact, dealing 3d6 damage to all within the blast area. Additionally, targets are thrown 1m for every 3 points of damage. If they are stopped by a wall or similar obstruction they take 2 damage for every 1m they should have moved. Each additional level increases the damage dealt by +3d6
FLAME [Fire]
A blast of fire dealing 1D6 Fire damage per level to everything in a circle 1 meter in diameter. The blast area widens by 1 metre for every 2 levels. Flame levels can cancel equal levels levels of Frost.

FLICKER [Travel]
"This man has a gun in his waistband, officer."
You teleport an object of 3 kg or less to anywhere within range. Each additional level increases the distance by 100 metres and the weight by 3.

FLY [Force][Travel]
Range/Area: Object Touched
Cost Per Level: 1 power point per 20 kg to activate, then 1 power point per hour to maintain MP / 1 Essence
"Where we're going, we don't need... 'Roads'."
The Flight spell works by imbuing an object with the power to fly; such as brooms, carpets or lawnchairs. The spell's carrying capacity is divided between the object and any creatures or cargo riding it. Your flight speed is 4x your Agility score in metres.

Each level adds 20 more kilograms and increases duration by one hour.

FORCEFIELD [Force]
Cost Per Level: 3 MP / 1 Essence
"You keep knockin' but you can't come in~!"
You make a telekinetic barrier that blocks all movement, even Phase Walk and similar effects. This forcefield has an effect of 2 metres per level, and is interrupted by solid matter such as wells.

FROST [Cold]
Cost Per Level:2 MP / 2 Essence
A blast of frost dealing 1D6 cold damage per level to everything in a circle 1 meter in diameter. The blast area widens by 1 metre for every 2 levels. Frost levels can cancel equal levels levels of Flame.

GATE [Travel]
Range/Area: 5 metres + 1 per level MP / 3 metres
Cost Per Level: 8 and/or Will points MP / 8
"Time to pass through the Door into Summer, kid."
You create a portal between two points in space, which can be made permanent and/or requiring a key for entry. The appearance can range from a rift in the air for a temporary one or a Door or runic circles for permanent ones or simply nothing.

Travelling through a Gate costs a number of power points that depends on the distance travelled, as per the table below. If the amount required is more than the user has, they are sent through unconcious and 1 point of Will drain. Making a permanent Gate costs 1 point of Will drain per 5 powerpoints of cost.

Each
* 10 MP for nearby town
* 15 MP for faraway town
* 20 MP for another continent
* 30 MP for another world
* 20 MP for another plane

GEM BOMB [Force]
"Diamonds are a girl's best friend. "
You fill a crystal with magic making a bomb, it is physically inert until a magical trigger is applied. The bomb has a blast area 1 metre wide and does 2d6 damage. Each level doubles the distance and damage. You can have up to six gems attuned to you at a time, and additional gem bomb castings cause the earliest gem to go inert.

There are three options for using a gem bomb:
- One, that you use the Throw skill and lob it like a grenade, which costs 1 MP per level.
- Two, that you add a time delay, which costs 1 MP per level. The time can be a maximum of 1 hour per level.
- Three, that you remotely detonate at a cost of 1 MP per level. This has a maximum range of 100 metres per level.

HANGMAN [Force]
Range/Area: 5 metres + 1 per level or Touch
Cost Per Level: 2 MP / 1 Essence
"Hang around with me for a while."
You lift the target off the ground, choking them. This deals 1d6 damage per level each round and the target is considered Helpless to others, making all attacks against them Easy.

HANGTIME
Range/Area: Personal or 5 metres + 1 per level MP / 1 person or object per level.
Duration: Always on (Personal), 1 minute per level (targeted)
"Noooooooo *inhale* ooooooooooooo!"
You slow your falling speed by 25% per level. Falling at 0% speed would be "permanent hangtime" where you are just suspended in the air. If it becomes a negative value, you'd just keep shooting upwards. For objects, capacity is 50 kilograms per level.

HASTE [Time]
Range/Area: Personal (Menhir), Touch (Celestial, Akashic)
Duration: 2 combat rounds
"When things change in an instant ~/ it's almost fast enough for me~
This doubles your speed and boosts your Agility by +2 higher for initiative. Additionally, you gain an extra attack per round and a +10% bonus to attack rolls. Each level increases the bonus to Agility by 2, and the duration by 2 rounds.

HEALING TOUCH [Healing][Necromancy][Transformation]
Heals 1D6 hit points per spell level. No effect on disease, poison or radiation. Bringing a character to a positive hit point total in the same turn their hit points went below 0 can bring a character back from the 'dead' if the spell is cast in the same round. This spell does not restore severed or lost limbs.

HEART RIPPER [Necromancy]
Duration: 5 rounds
Cost Per Level: 6 MP / 4 Essence
"In the night I hear 'em talk, the coldest story ever told~"
You attempt an opposed Will test with the target, but the caster gains a +20% bonus on this roll. If you win, their heart (or equivalent) explodes from their chest to your hand. The target will die unless they retrieve their heart and heal at least 5 HP before the spell runs out. If the caster fails the opposed test, their heart is ripped out in place of the target's, with the same limitations.

HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT [Mind]
"Welcome to the service industry, kid."
You and all the items you carry are now effectively invisible to all sapient creatures, but not to spells, security cameras or similar countermeasures. Each level increases the duration by 1 hour. Attacking a target directly ends the effect.

HIGH NOON [Light]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 30 metres
" "
You make an place bright as high noon, which also empowers [Light] spells within the area. This spell removes darkness based Concealment within the spell area, treats all [Shadow] spells as one level higher, and counts as a level 3 [Light] spell for dispelling [Shadow] effects, and acts as the counter to Midnight.

HOLDING ONTO YESTERDAY [Time]
Range/Area: Touch or Personal
Cost Per Level: 8 MP / 8 Essence
You can travel back in time 1 day per level. Each day travelled costs deals 1 point of Will damage to the user.

IDLE HANDS [Mind]
"Stop Hitting yourself!"
You take control of an arm or leg on a target and cause it to injure its owner, dealing 1d6 damage per level. Optionally, you can have the offending limb hamper them for that round, giving a -20% penalty on skills (for arms) or halving their speed if used on legs.

IMMORTAL AMORPHISM [Necromancy][Transformation]
Cost Per Level: 4 MP / 6
"Shoot me again, I aint dead yet!"
While this power is active, your whole body is just made of the of you - you have no vital organs, every cell is as redundant as the next. As such, you cannot be killed without destroying the entire body, and are not hindered by crippling damage. Unless you can heal in the meantime, you will be in for a nasty shock when this effect ends.

INFERNO [Fire]
Range/Area: 300 metres + 10 per level MP / 50 metres
Cost Per Level: 10 MP / 10 Essence
"Burn... 'Til the skies bleeds ashes and the city crashes to the ground!"
You turn a wide area into hell on earth, turning the very ground to glass. This spell does 6d6 fire damage each round, and transforms the ground into Difficult Terrain. Each additional level increases the damage by 6d6 and the area by 20 metres.

INSTANT ARMOURY [Creation][Travel]
Range/Area: Touch or 5 metres
"King of Heroes! Do you have enough swords?"
You can conjure copies of weapons, armour, and ammunition from nowhere. You acquire 1 Poor quality weapon or armour and (if a ranged weapon) 10 shots of ammunition or a full magazine, whichever is less. Each level increases the quality of item by one step (Poor to Average, Average to Good, etc) and increases the ammunition by 10 shots.

INTUITION [Divination][Mind]
"I knew you'd do that."
You gain a +10% bonus per level that can be used against a specific foe for either Athletics tests to avoid damage or for attacks. The bonus can be divided between offense and defense in increments of 5, but is still limited to the same target.

INVITATION [Mind]
Range/Area: 100 kilometres + 1 per level
Duration: 1 minute.
Cost Per Level: 4 MP /2
"You're my only hope!"
You send a mental message of yourself speaking to the intended recipient if they are within range, visual effects are optional. The message can be a maximum of 15 words per level.

JUGGERNAUT [Force][Transformation]
"OH YEAH!"
When you damage objects you ignore 2 points of DR. Against living beings this spell has its benefits halved. Each additional level increases the bonus by +1.

KINETIC STORAGE [Force]
Duration: 1 minute per level or until discharged
"Oh, you picked the death card..."
You can store excessive energy in a small object. The next person to touch it discharges the energy - the object explodes, causing a powerful impact to them that deals 1d6 damage. These objects can be thrown at people like grenades, with a range of 5 metres.

KNOCK [Force]
Range/Area: Touch or 5 metres
"You learn a lot in law enforcement."
Through an expert tap or supernatural shenannigans you try to pop open a lock. This power requires a successful Agility check to open a lock, and if you fail the lock is jammed.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 am, edited 21 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 5=
MAGIC:

LIGHT [Light]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 3 metres per level
Illuminate an area with the brightness of a torch within a circle 3m in radius per level. The spell must be cast on an object. Each level of Light cancels one level of Shadow.

LIGHTNING [Shock]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 1 m
" "
Each round you may attack with 2 bolts of lightning dealing 4d6 shock damage to everything within 1 metre of the targets. Each additional level adds 1 bolt and increases damage by 1d6. Lightning spells get a +1 bonus per level on wet targets or ones that have been hit with frost damage within the last round

LIGHTNING JAR [Shock]
"Have a taste of white lightning, pal."
You fill a container with lightning, which keeps until discharged. The lightning is 1 metre wide, has a distance equal to your Will and does 3d6 damage. Each level doubles the distance and damage. Activating the bottle costs 1 MP per level and up three jars can exist at a time, any additional lightning jar castings cause the earliest jar to go inert. Jars can be transferred to a new user at a cost of 1 MP per level.
Dodging lightning is Difficult if wearing metal armour, and if parried successfully with a non-metallic shield, the shield takes the damage, with any remainder hitting the wielder. If the spell hits water or metal surfaces

LION'S ROAR [Sonic]
"Wharrgarbl!"
Your vocalizations deal a base 3d6 sonic damage plus 1d6 per additional level, and all within the area of your power are pushed back 1m for every 3 points of damage. If they are stopped by a wall or similar obstruction they take 2 damage for every 1m they should have moved.

This power shatters glass, pottery, etc. If enemies are thrown through sharp objects or glass, they take an extra 1d6 damage per object. If shouted through a cone-shaped object (like a church or temple bell with the top removed), add 2d6 to the initial damage.

LOGIC BOMB [Mind]
" "
You force the target into a dazed state using a word puzzle or logic trap. The target is incapacitated until either they "solve" the question or the duration runs out. A successful Intelligence test can end the effect early.

LOST TIME [Time]
"You've got stuck in a moment and now you can't get out of it."
Target touched is put into stasis, unable to be perceive anything, be moved or harmed until the spell ends. After the spell ends, the target is now back in synch with time, and has perceived none of the elapsed time.

LOVESTRUCK [Mind]
Duration: 24 hours
Cost Per Level: 4 MP / 6 Essence
"Shot through the heart, and you're to blame~ MP / you give love, a bad name~"
You make eye contact with a target and must pass an opposed Will check. If you succeed, the target falls in love with you. As long as you don't abuse or attack them, the effect lasts until broken or the duration ends. The effect ends if the user doesn't keep is knocked is killed.

If the user performs this in the form of a kiss or similar form of close contact, treat their Will test modifier as 20% points higher.

MAGIC BULLET [Force]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / -
You hit a target with a blast of force, dealing 1D6 points of damage per level. This is capable of harming incorporeal and astral creatures.

MAGIC CIRCLE [Travel]
Casting Time: 15 minutes per level
Cost Per Level: 4 MP /1
"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!”
You create a ward that planar beings must fight in order to pass, typically drawn as a way to confine or defend against them. To cross the ward, the being must beat it in a Brawn saving throw. The Brawn of the ward depends on the power invested into it, granting 3 Brawn per level spent.

The ward can cover an area as large as 6 square metres and is almost always a circle. Any attempt to break through the barrier deals 1d3+2 damage to the offender.

MAGIC TRAP [Geas]
Range/Area: Touch MP / 5 metres + 1 per level
Duration: Permenant, until triggered
"You activated my trap card!"
You make a visible or easily detected mark that, if ignored and walked past, forces the offender and you to meet in a nearby area you have selected at the time of casting (no more than 2 miles away) within 6 hours. To refuse means taking 1d6 damage per hour, which cannot be healed naturally and requires a Break Curse spell to overcome.

MEGATON BLOW [Force]
"I teach people how to fly."
You make a melee attack that, if successful, adds 1d6 extra damage and knocks back the target 1m for every 3 points of damage. If their travel is stopped by an obstruction they take 2 damage for every 1m they should have moved. Each additional level adds 1d6 damage.

MENTAL STATIC [Mind]
Range/Area: Personal MP / 5 metres + 1 per level
"IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!"
You blast nearby minds with mental static to hinder spellcasting. All casting tests within the area are considered Difficult, unless the level is equal to or less than Mental Static.

MESH OF IMAGES [Illusion][Mind][Mind]
Duration: Permanent until retrieved
"Right-click, save image as..."
You can take a still picture (including a page of writing), copy it off the paper, canvas or wall and placing it in a mesh of the aether that wraps around the world. It is always there for you to reference later on, leaving a blank image where it used to be. Others can access this image if they know what they are looking for with a Difficult Knowledge or Luck check if they're doing so blindly, or with an Easy check with hints from you. You can at any point choose to retrieve the picture you placed, removing it from the mesh and placing it on a surface in reality.

MESH OF SOUNDS [Illusion][Mind][Travel]
Range/Area: N/A
"I really need to get this song out of my head"
You can take a sound out of reality and place it in the mesh of the aether that wraps around the world. It is always there for you to listen to later on. Others can access this sound if they know what they are looking for with a Difficult Knowledge or Luck check if they're doing so blindly, or with an Easy check with hints from you. You can at any point choose to retrieve the noise, removing it from the mesh and bringing it back into the world as a sound.

MESH OF THOUGHTS [Illusion][Mind][Travel]
Range/Area: N/A
"Hold that thought"
You can take a memory, idea or thought from your head and place it in a mesh of the aether that wraps around the world. It is always there for you to reference later on, even if you suffer amnesia, and you can elect to indeed erase the thought from your own head when placing it there. Others can access this thought if they know what they are looking for with a Difficult Knowledge or Luck check if they're doing so blindly, or with an Easy check with hints from you. You can at any point choose to retrieve your own thought properly, removing it from the mesh and placing it back inside your head.

METEO [Fire][Force]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 5 metres
Duration: 1 combat round
"ROCKS FALL, EVERYBODY DIES!"
You call down falling stars on your foes, dealing 1d3+1 damage to everyone within the area. Each level increases the damage by 1d3+1 and the duration by 1 round.

METEOR CHARGE [Force]
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level MP / 3 metres
"Come over here and say that!"
You charge and smash into an enemy, dealing 2d6 damage to all within range (excluding yourself). For every level added increase damage by 2d6 and the area by 1m.

MIDNIGHT [Shadow]
"Niiiiightfaaaaall~ MP / Quietly crept in and changed us all~ "
You make an place dark as midnight, which also empowers [Shadow] spells within the area. This spell grants Concealment within the spell area, treats all [Shadow] spells as one level higher, and counts as a level 3 [Shadow] spell for dispelling [Light] effects, and acts as the counter to High Noon.

MIND BULLETS [Force]
"That's telekinesis, Kyle!"
You telekinetically pummel your target (such as a yak) from afar. You launch two bullets, dealing 1d2+1 damage per bullet, and each level adds another bullet. This is a force effect and will damage ghosts and incorporeal enemies.

MIRROR OF S'HTRU H'SRAH [Illusion][Mind]
Cost Per Level: 3 MP / 1 Essence
"No, John. You are the demons."
Target takes penalties from having their inner demons and illusions glaringly exposed to themself. If they fail a Will test they take a -10% penalty to all skills per level.

MOONBITER [Force]
Range/Area: 1 kilometre per level MP / 5 metres + 5 per level
"A hole this size might even be big enough to fit your mom."
You can slice mountains in half and carve canyons into the earth itself.
You cause a wave of destruction within the area of the line, dealing 6d6 damage per level to creatures and destroying all unattended objects within range.

MOUNTAINS OUT OF MOLEHILLS [Transformation]
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level MP / 5 metres
"... and just before we got up the ramp over the wall, they offed themselves. Dicks."
You cause a mound, wall, or pillar to form from the ground. This lets you raise land up 5 metres per level, which can be split within the spell range as desired.

MYSTERIOUS WAYS [Geas]
"JUST AS PLANNED!"
You alter probability to hurt your target, often in humourous ways. You deal 1d6 damage per level, but the player must be able to come up with a plausible explanation for how the sequence of events could have happened naturally, no matter how out-there or far-fetched the explanation might be.

Optionally, if the caster spends an extra 1 minute per level preparing, add one of the following options:
- -20% to a specific skill for 1 round.
- Reducing DR by 1/2 for 1 round.
- Knocked Prone for 1 round.
- Drops their held weapon.
- Halve their speed for 1 round.

NERFBAT [Transformation]
"BONK!"
You change the texture of a weapon to be squishy and soft, causing it to deal non-lethal damage. Weapons held by unwilling targets use the Will saving throw of their wielder.

NERVE SHOCK [Shock]
"Don't tase me, bro!"
The subject suffers a momentary jolt, briefly losing motor control. They suffer a -10% penalty on a basic task like swinging a weapon, swimming or climbing, a -20% penalty on things requiring a little finesse such as firing a gun or typing, or treating all things requiring fine control like picking a lock or rewiring something as Difficult skill checks. Alternatively, someone who is just holding a gun could suffer a spasm and instantly fire it.

ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT [Elemental][Force]
Range/Area: 1 kilometre per level MP / 30 metres
"Low-Orbit Ion Cannon is fully charged. Target locked..."
Hacking an ancient superweapon hidden far above in the sky, you launch devastation onto the world below. This orbital bombardment does 10d6 damage (fire or shock) per level and deals double damage to unattended objects.

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE [Force]
Duration: Will x 1 minutes
"Did you try the Litany of Wyfpos yet? No? Lemme give a whack at it."
You attempt to beat offending broken or damaged equipment into working order, or at least submission. The item in question will function for a time, but will stop working after the duration finishes.

PERFORMANCE ISSUES
Range/Area: 5 metres + 1 per level / 1 gun per level
"Let me guess, 'this never happened before.'"
You cause a gun to jam, which requires a Complex action to clear before it is able to fire again.

PERSONAL OVERCLOCK [Mind][Transformation]
"Uh, your brain is smoking"
For the duration, your brain runs on overdrive, letting you think twice as fast. You gain a +2 bonus to your Agility for the purposes of initiative and +5% bonus to Intelligence skills. Each level increases the initiative bonus by +1 and the skill bonus by 5%. However, it is taxing, so after using this power, you take a -20% to all skills until rested.

PHASE WALK [Travel]
Duration: 1 Round per level
"Can't touch this."
You and your items on you become incorporeal, rendering you immune to physical damage, heat, and cold and cannot perform attacks that result in the same damages. Each lets you pass travel through an additional 10 centimetres of walls or creatures per round, up to your normal movement speed.

If you place an object inside a living being they must succeed on a Luck check or take 3d6 points of damage and a Major wound. With a Difficult Medicine check you can insert or remove objects without injury to the target.
This power can be cast as a Desperate Action to negate damage.

PIERCING STRIKE
"M-M-Multi Kill!"
You immediately attack a target within weapon range, which penetrates through and hits another behind it. Each additional level adds +2 damage and one additional pierced target. Every target takes half the damage the one before suffered.

PLANT GROWTH
"I speak for the trees."
You speed up the growth of plants by one week per level over the course of the spell. The target area needs to be able to support plant life. Casting the spell on depleted land causes it to fail.

PUSH [Force]
"Step off, homey!"
Hit a target with a telekinetic blast, sending them flying 2 metres per level. If movement is stopped by a barrier they take 2 damage per metre of movement, which may destroy the barrier as well.

PYROKINESIS [Cold][Fire]
Duration: 1 Round
"I wish I could hate you to death!"
A blast of heat hits the target for 1d6 fire or cold damage per round. Each additional level adds 1d6 damage and increases the duration by 1 round.

RAISE DEAD [Necromancy]
Casting Time:1 hour
"LIVE, damn you!"
You bring the dead back to life, assuming they died within a month. Performing the ritual costs 500 GP in materials and drains 5 Essence from the person being raised, taken from their highest level spells if no unspent remains. This spell only works on bodies that are mostly intact.

RAISE UNDEAD [Necromancy]
Casting Time: 15 minutes
Range/Area: 5 metres + 1 per level MP / 1 corpse per level
Cost Per Level: 5 MP / 2 Essence
"If you're feeling dead I'll be your reanimator~ MP / I've got the way to bring you to life~"
You can make skeletons and zombies, as per chapter 7. Undead you create start out under control, until dismissed or taken over by another necromancer.

Customizations:
- Lacquered Bones (Skeleton): A special coating adds +5 HP. Takes 8 hours per skeleton and costs 10 SP.
- Preservatives (Zombie): Prevents rotting and adds +3 HP. Takes 8 hours and costs 5 SP
- Wired Frame (Skeleton): Reinforces the joints and bones with metal wire, allowing for greater force. Adds +1 to the Brawn score of a skeleton. Takes 8 hours and costs 10 SP per point.
RALLYING CRY [Mind]
"Give them nothing, but take from them EVERYTHING!"
You give 1 ally per caster level a 15% bonus on their next attack roll.

REGENERATION [Healing]
" "
You heal 1 point of damage at the end of every turn. If you are currently Incapacitated, regeneration will remove the condition after healing you to 1 HP. Regeneration can regrow limbs and extremities in 1d10 minutes.

REINFORCEMENT [Force]
“ “
Each level of this spell adds 1 point to the character's damage resistance value, even if they are not currently wearing armor.

REJUVENATE [Healing][Necromancy]
"Insert flavour text here."
Target heals 2 HP per round for the duration of the spell. This doesn't let you re-attach or regrow limbs. Each additional level increases the duration by 1 minute.

RESONANT TOUCH [Force]
Duration: Instantaneous MP / 1 Essence round
"I'm pro, I can undo bras one-handed, with the lights off, heck I can do it with one finger!"
You send a ripple of kinetic energy through an object, allowing instant activation of moving and mechanical parts. Useless on electronics and such, but can lock doors, disarm traps, undo clasps, open or close valves, briefly activate heavy machinery (for a couple of seconds) and so on.

RETRIBUTION [Elemental][Force]
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level MP / 1 target
Cost Per Level: 4 MP / 1 Essence
Upon being brought to 0 HP or lower, this spell is automatically cast at whatever that killed you, as a form of revenge. This deals 2d6 damage per level and can be an elemental damage type of Force.

RIDE THE LIGHTNING [Shock][Travel]
Range/Area: 1 kilometre MP / 1 Essence metre
Cost Per Level: 4/ 4 Essence
"I make thunder and lightning look like one and the same~!"
You travel distances instantly through a bolt of lightning, zapping anything within the blast area, dealing 2d6 damage. Each level adds 2d6 damage and increases range by 1 kilometre, but not area.

SHADOW [Shadow]
Range/Area: 100 metres + 10 per level MP / 3 metres per level
You fill an area with darkness and shadows. One level fills the area with shadows granting Concealment, while a second grants total concealment, while a third blocks the ability to see in the dark. The spell must be cast on an object. Each level of Shadow cancels a single level of Light.

SHADOW BIND [Shadow]
Cost Per Level:
"Got your nose!"
You stretch your shadow in order to connect to the shadows of targets. This lets you immobilize them for a time, but you are also unable to move from your spot while this is in effect..

SHADOW THROW [Illusion][Shadow]
"You just fell for my Swamper-style, bitch!"
You throw two weapons at once, using visual tricks to hide a second protectile in the first's shadow. The first weapon's attack is rolled normally, while the second's is treated as one category easier. If the weapons hit, they deal damage as normal. Each additional level adds an extra set of attacks.
SHOCKER [Shock]
Cost Per Level: 4 MP / 2 Essence
"Stop laughing, damn it!"
On a successful Unarmed Combat check you deal 1d6 electrical damage, the target must succeed in a Difficult Brawn test or be Stunned for 1 round. Each level increases the damage by 1d6.

SHOCKTROOPER
"On this battlefield no one wins... Except me."
You rush into the fray, and make an attack on one eligible target. If you successfully hit, you gain 5 temporary HP until your next round and deal damage as normal. Each additional level increases the temporary HP by 5.
SHOVE [Force]
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level MP / 2 metres
"Git offa my lawn!"
You slam an area with a telekinetic blast, sending anyone inside flying 5 metres. Each additional level increase distance by 5 metres per level, and area by 1 metre. If movement is stopped by a barrier they take 4 damage per metre of movement, which may destroy the barrier as well.

SKINWALK [Transformation]
"I took some bad acid and woke up looking like an expressionist painting."
You morph your body as a disguise. You gain +5% per level to Disguise and Persuade, however you must make an Art (sculpting) or Use magic check. Failure leaves you looking hideously ugly, monstrous or subtly off, causing a -20% penalty on Communication skills.

SLASH AND DASH
Range/Area: Personal MP / 10 metre line
"I'm in ur base, killin' ur dudez!"
You hit any target in the area, rolling an attack for each target. Additional levels increase the range by 10 metres.

SLOW THE SANDS OF TIME [Time]
"Only the good die young~ MP / All the evil seems to live forever~"
This spell makes you age slower. The first level halves your aging, the second stops aging entirely. Each level requires 1 day and 1 permanent point of Will to cast.
If the spell ends your body rapidly ages to match your physical age, likely killing you. The age backlash works at a rate of 1 year per hour and can only be stopped by a new casting.

STARLIGHT [Light]
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Object Touched MP / 2 metres
Duration: Permanent MP / 15 minutes
"Twinkle twinkle little star~"
You turn condense starlight within a bottle for later use. Liquid starlight burns hotter than most flames, and cannot be extinguished with water. After triggering the bottle explodes, dealing 5d6 fire damage within the blast zone and burns for 15 minutes. Each additional level increases the damage by 5d6. Starlight is treated as a Strong Acid (as described in Chapter 6) and can only be put out by a successful Dispel Magic spell.
A bottle of starlight gives off silvery light equal to a candle, and counters the Shadow spell as a Light spell equal to its level. Shattering a bottle of starlight takes 5 damage per level due to its magical properties, but it can be detonated at a cost of 2 MP per level.

STEEL ECLIPSE
Range/Area: 100 metres MP / 3 metres
"BRING THE RAIN!"
On a successful an attack with a ranged weapon, you fill the area with a volley of projectiles dealing 1d6 damage plus damage bonus, at the cost of 5 shots of ammunition per level. Each additional level adds 1d6 damage and increases the area by 1m.

STINKING CLOUD
Range/Area: 20 metres + 5 per level MP / 5 metres
Duration: 5 minutes
" "
A horrible stench causes people to sick, making all skill tests Difficult; if a the targets successfully make a Brawn test they take a -10% penalty instead. Targets that do not need to breath are immune to the effect.

STOMP [Force]
"Algore, SMASH!"
All creatures within range that fail a Difficult Agility test are knocked prone, taking 1d6 damage. Each level increases the damage by 1d6.

STORMBRINGER [Cold][Shock][Weather]
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range/Area: 5 kilometres + 1 per level MP / 1 metre
Duration: 1 Day
Cost Per Level: 4 MP / 2 Essence
"Saaaaaacred power, of raging wiiiiiinds~"
This spell makes storms. Sort of obvious in retrospect. Once a minute a 5d6 lightning bolt will strike a target within the spell's range, either randomly or a chosen target. All electrical effects within spell range gain +1 damage per damage die. Each additional level adds an extra lightning bolt and one of the following per level:
- raise or lower temperature by 5C per level, to a maximum of 60C or minimum of -40C.
- Increase winds by 1 step per level
- Make clouds and fog
- Make it rain, which can turn into snow and sleet at x temperatures.

SUPER JUMP
"D --> I love being STRONG!"
Each level increases your Jump distance by 5 metres. This power also lets you treat falls as being an equivalent distance shorter for falling damage.

SUPERSIZE ME [Transformation]
Range/Area: Personal or Touch
You make a living target 1 metre larger per level. Each metre of growth increases Brawn by 4 points. If there isn't enough room to grow the target must succeed in a Brawn test to burst the enclosure, else they take 1d6 damage per metre of growth remaining. Worn and wielded equipment grows with the wielder, but ranged projectiles shrink after firing. Melee weapons gain +2 damage per metre of growth.

SWITCHEROO [Travel]
Casting Time: Free Action (Reactive) or Simple (targetted)
"You cannot beat... THE LOG."
Instead of taking a hit, you can substitute an object for yourself to take the blow. The object's size must be within 3 points of your Brawn score per level.

Alternatively, you may attempt to switch places with a living target. This requires a Brawn or Will test (your choice), and if you succeed the enemy takes the hit.

TELEFRAG [Force][Travel]
"You're half the man you used to be."
You rip apart a target with teleportation, dealing 2d6 damage per level.

TELEPORT [Travel]
Range: 100 kilometres + 10 per level
Cost Per Level: 5 MP / 4 Essence
"It's longer than you think, Dad! Longer than you think!"
Each level of Teleport allows you to teleport one person per level up to your Brawn score, if they go over it, they count as two people. For objects, the limit per level is 10 kilos per point of Brawn.

You can only teleport to a location with an active Teleport Beacon spell. Teleport does not instantly transport you to your destination; instead you vanish and it takes 1 minute per 10 kilometres to get you there.

TELEPORT BEACON [Travel]
Range: 100 kilometres
Duration: 1 year
"To the everlasting glory of the infantry shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young."
This creates a beacon that allows for teleportion, which can require password, being keyed in, or nothing at all. A beacon takes the form of glyphs, prepared circles or archways.

A teleport beacon is automatically sensed when using teleportation, but unless you can access it, the information is useless.
Each level increases the range by 100 kilometres and the duration by 1 year.

TELEPORT TRACKING [Divination][Travel]
Range/Area: 30 metres
Duration: 1 Round
"Yeah, I got them... Seems they went Spireward, Lord Inglip."
You can sniff our the after-effects of a teleport spell, allowing you to roughly gauge how far and what direction they travelled. This allows you to attempt following the path of the teleport, but this method of tracking is imprecise, being 1d100 metres off target. Each level increases the duration by 1 and reduces the distance off target by 10 metres. Actually following requires the use of the Gate spell or Teleport, this merely improves your chance to find the destination safely.

TEMPEST IN A TEACUP [Shock]
Range/Area:
Duration: Instant MP / permanent until discharged
"Don't open that bottle!"
Activating this power, you can redirect a strong electrical force such as from a nearby spell or a lightning bolt into a jar or similar container. The electricity is stored within until released, at which point it shoots out in a bolt of electricity, dealing the original source's damage (write this down).

You may only have up to four of these containers at any given time. If a new casting is performed, the earliest discharges harmlessly.

THROW [Force]
"He's going for distance~ MP / He's going for speed~"
On a successful Martial Arts test (Easy in a grapple) you 1d6 points of bonus damage per level. If successful, you throw the target 1m per 3 points of damage dealt. If their path is blocked they take 2 damage for every metre remaining.

TITANIC MIGHT
"With this active I might even be able to lift your mum."
Your carrying capacity is doubled for the duration of the power.

TOMORROW COMES TODAY [Time]
Range/Area: Personal or Touch
You can travel forward in time 1 day per level. Each day travelled costs deals 1 point of Will damage.

TURN BACK THE CLOCK [Time]
"Of course you're not getting any younger, nobody is... except him. "
Each level reduces the target's physical age by 5 years at cost of 1 permanent point of POW. Each level increases the age reduction by 5 years. This removes any age-related penalties to ability scores and such, age-related benefits remain.

TWISTER [Weather]
Range/Area: Will in metres
"You spin me right round, baby~."
You make a tornado 1 metre wide and 5 tall, which flings objects and people around. Creatures in the radius are caught and 1d12 is rolled to determine the direction they are thrown, and are thrown 1d6+1 metres per level. If they are stopped by an obstacle they take 2 damage for every 1m they should have moved.

Each level increases the width by 1 metre and height by 5 metres.

VECTOR [Force]
You manifest semi-visible telekinetic arms capable of manipulation or slashing force. Each level gives one arm that deals 1d6 damage and uses your Will score for a damage bonus in place of Brawn. As a Complex Action each arm can attack one target within reach, or multiple arms can be used for combined damage on a foe.

WALK IT OFF [Healing]
"Suck it up, buttercup!"
You heal 3 HP per level, which can even get wounded limbs operating again if the healing is directed to a specific location. This does not let you re-attach or regrow limbs.

WHIRLWIND
Range/Area: Personal / 1 metre
"Surrounding me, huh? Saves me some time."
You flip out and stab everyone. You make an attack against all enemies within reach, and each level increases the distance by 1 metre.

WINGS OF FLIGHT
" "
At first level your flight speed is equal to your Agility score in metres, 2x at level 2, 3 at level 3, and so on.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 am, edited 11 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 6=
COMBAT AND SPOT RULES
1. SAVING THROWS
"No one could have survived that."
When a character is attacked or in danger from something, you often get a Saving Thow to shake off or evade the effects of whatever they are threatened with, whether its the power of a magical assault or a wall of bullets. Throw modifiers are based off your attributes plus your class bonuses, race, equipment, or magic. A successful saving throw reduces damage by 1/2.

2. NATURAL HEALING:
Health Points heal naturally at a rate of Brawn attribute/10 per day. Medical attention can speed this recovery rate.

3. DEATH AND DYING:
At 5 HP, a character is Incapacitated. An Incapacitated character can only move at a Crawl, and makes all skill tests one step harder. If brought to 0 HP a character is unconcious, and if successfully damaged will die the next round unless healed at least 5 HP by magic or medicine.
4. Attacking:
Attacks are usually resolved by using a Simple action to make the attack. In nearly all cases, a melee attack will be performed using Martial Arts and Marksmanship for ranged attacks.
Attacking something is harder if the target is father away. However, just because a character has the accuracy to strike an opponent out to a specific range does not mean that their weapon is physically capable of reaching that far, or of reaching a target at that range with any accuracy. Most weapons have a maximum range beyond which they become inaccurate, and most weapons have a range beyond which they cannot be expected to work (range times 10). Firing from beyond a weapons accurate range is Hard, while firing beyond the maximum range is Improbable. Melee attacks of course simply have an absolute limit of their reach. If you want them to go any farther than your arm will take them you have to throw them.

5. THROWING THINGS:
As soon as the first ape threw their first rock, primates started being a threat to leopards instead of just the other way around.
If you throw something big you get a bonus to their attack roll, since its easier to connect when you're throwing a barrel or a wagon than a dart. Small objects (like bottles or knives) get +5% to hit, Medium objects (like tomahawks or plates) get +10%, Large objects (people or chairs) get 20%, and huge objects (wagons, tables, altars) get 30%. A character can throw things they can lift that exceed their carrying capacity, but not that well. Thrown items are only accurate to 5m and have a maximum range of 10m. Items you can actually wield can be thrown out to 15m, but damage done by thrown weapons usually sucks. Unless the item is designed as a throwing weapon (or is shaped sort of like one) it usually only does between 1d2 and 1d4 damage, unless the item is really dense, sharp, or hard. Argue with your MC about it.

6. ACTIONS AND REACTIONS:
Normally a character may take one Complex Action or two Simple Actions during their turn. A character may do some relatively large number of Free Actions, and like Complex and Simple Actions, all of these are done during the character’s turn. Reactions and Movement are done while it is not a character’s turn.
7. INITIATIVE ORDER:
At the beginning of a combat round, each player rolls their Agility saving throw plus any bonuses. Characters act in order of their initiative scores (highest to lowest), and characters with the same score act simultanteously. A character with a high initiative score may choose to act after a character with a lower one, if they want.

8. MOVEMENT SPEED:
Speed Categories
Movement Type Metres
Crawl 2m
Careful Search 4m
Stroll10m
Walk 20m
Jog30m
Run60m
Sprint100m

Movement Penalties: Doing anything precision based while moving faster than a Stroll is actually pretty difficult. On most actions, characters receive a -10% penalty for a Walk, a -15% penalty for a Jog, a -20% penalty for a Run, and a -30% penalty for a Sprint. Most people can’t do much of anything while sprinting. Close Combat is actually something of an exception, in that momentum is also helpful, so characters receive no penalty for a Jog or Run to their melee attacks.
Going Faster: If a character focuses solely on movement, meaning they used a Complex action to do so, they can make an Agility or Athletics test to move even faster. On a succes and for every 10 points above 100 the character's speed is increased by 10%.
9. AIMING
Aiming is the act of taking extra time with a shot in order to make it more accurate. Each Aiming action provides a bonus to Marksmanship for the next shot only.
If the weapon is sufficiently braced that recoil is completely negated and the target does not move substantially from its original position, the character’s Aiming can continue to apply on future shots. The first Aim action takes a Simple Action, and each further Aim action takes a progressively longer time frame (1 Round, 1 Minute, 5 Minutes, and 20 minutes).
TimeAttack Bonus
1 round 10%
1 minute 20%
5 minutes 35%
20 minutes 50%

These subsequent Aim actions all apply to the same attack, but a character can’t actually benefit from an aiming bonus higher than than their actual skill rating in Marksmanship or Rigging. Aiming at targets beyond 500m requires a Telescopic Scope or similar spell. Additionally, bows cannot Aim for longer than 1 minute, with the exception of compound bows.

10. SUPPRESSIVE FIRE:
Suppressive Fire is the act of firing a bunch of bullets near a piece of cover that a target (or targets) are hiding behind. Since Suppressive Fire is actually fired at a place where the targets are not, it has no chance of hitting them. If during the following round any potential target comes out of cover (even for purposes of popping out to take a better shot), they are subject to an attack as if they had no cover at all. Suppressive Fire is very effective game mechanically with automatic weaponry because autofire treats attacks as Easy but is Improbable against cover. This is not an accident, as suppressive fire is frequently and effectively used in the real world with weapons that have a high rate of fire. Suppressive Fire is a Complex Action and covers the entire round.

11. SPRAY-N-PRAY:
Automatic weaponry can be walked across areas, firing off bullets seemingly at random. This is neither advisable nor safe, but it can totally hit people with bullets and kill them and stuff. Which for people with little skill with firearms is not necessarily a bad deal. Spray-n-Pray differs substantially from most actions in BIWA because the character’s skills and attributes aren't used. Instead, the character nominates an arc and rolls just 40% (plus bonuses from magic or equipment) against each potential target in the area. Spray-n-Pray ignores modifiers from target speed or poor visibility, but is otherwise a normal ranged attack. Spray-n-Pray is not compatible with Aiming, and thus it will likely not hit anyone behind heavy cover. Spray-n-Pray is a Complex Action, and the difficulty to hit a target is normal if 20m or less and Difficult if it is 50+ metres. While it is nominally possible for a bullet to impact a target more than 100m away, the chances of this happening are so remote as to be discounted. Targets farther than 50 metres are Improbable to hit with Spray-n-Pray.

12. BURST FIRE:
Automatic weaponry can lay a lot of hurt on a person, if you focus it well enough. Burst fire adds two die of damage to each attack but the attack is Difficult.

13. POINT-BLANK FIRING:
A character's hit chance with ranged weapons is Easy when the distance to target is 10 metres or less. When engaged in melee combat attacks with bows, crossbows and thrown weapons are considered Difficult.
14. ABDUCT:
Characters can grab people and carry them off. This is done fairly frequently in horror movies and is an essential part of the genre. To Abduct someone, the character takes a Complex Action to make an opposed unarmed melee attack against the victim's Brawn saving throw. If the character beat's the target’s saving throw, the victim is scooped up and possibly thrown over the character’s shoulder or tucked under their arm. The victim can scream if they want, but if the character’s net hits exceed the target’s roll by 10 or more, they can’t even scream because their mouth is effectively covered. Once abducted, a victim may attempt to escape on their next round, and may further attempt to escape one other time.
15. DISARM:
Characters can grab items that other characters are carrying. In melee, this can be one by making an attack with a -20% penalty. If the character attempts to do this with bare hands, they will end up with the object in question in their possession if they succeed, but this is also quite dangerous and the character will be denied their defense in melee until their next turn. If the disarm is successfully attempted with a weapon, or an unarmed Disarm attempt fails, the item goes flying or falls to the ground or something as befits the situation. Attacking a held object at range is Difficult, such items are usually small.

16. PARRYING:
If your character is being attacked you can try and parry it with a weapon or shield, as a reaction. Each parry attempt after the first takes a cumulative -20% penalty to the skill roll. Parry attempts against ranged weapons are Improbable with weapons, but if a shield is used it treated as Normal difficulty. Shields gain a bonus when parrying and unarmed attacks take a -10% penalty.

17. BACKSTABS AND HELPLESS OPPONENTS:
Melee attacks against a target's unprotected back are considered Easy. The target may attempt a Difficult Dodge or Parry against a backstab if they succeed on a Difficult Listen or Sense roll. If the target is unable to defend themself or is helpless, attacks made against them are Easy, and can't Dodge or Parry.

18. AMBUSHES
If an attacker succeeds on a Stealth roll vs. the target's Areness skill, they can make uncounterable atttacks.
1. If the attackers are unseen and using ranged weapons, they get a free round of attacks considered Easy. The targets cannot dodge or parry this surprise attack.
2. If the attackers are seen and using ranged weapons, they get a free round of attacks considered Easy. The targets can attempt to dodge or parry this surprise attack.
3. If the attackers are using melee weapons and have not made successful Stealth rolls, the targets must make successful Easy Areness rolls. If these rolls are failed, attacks against the target are considered Easy, and any dodges or parries the target makes are Difficult.
4. If the attackers are using melee weapons and the targets have made successful Awareness roll, the target may Parry or Dodge, but cannot strike back or move until the next combat round.

19. BOTH SIDES SURPRISED
If both sides in an encounter are surprised, determine who goes first with opposed Awareness rolls or Agility saves. At MC's discretion, Intelligence saves could be used in the event of a tie.

20. LOCKING ON:
Characters can prepare a weapon to be deployed. Maybe they hold a knife to the target’s throat, maybe they point a gun at the target’s back. This takes the time of a normal attack, but no actual attack is made. At any point in the future, the character can make their attack Reactively. If the character becomes distracted, moves faster than a Slow Search or makes another attack (including another Lock On attempt), the old Lock On is lost. This is how the game handles "stick ups", fencing, hostage threatening, and patient sniping.
21. FEINT:
A character can attempt to distract or confuse an opponent, making an opening in a battle. Feinting is a Simple Action, and if it succeeds the target loses any "Lock On" they have and treats attack, Parry or dodge attempts against you as Difficult for the round. The character makes a Deception or Tactics test and the target makes an Intelligence save or an Empathy test. If the character rolls higher, the feint succeeds. While normally a character who has Locked On can use their attack reactively if the target (or anyone else) attempts any "funny stuff" – in the case of a Feint they have to wait to see if the Feint is successful in making them lose the Lock before taking their free shot. If the Feint fails, they can immediately use their attack in revenge however.

22. Damage Over Time
Stop, drop, and roll.
When a character is soaked in acid, freezing to death, on fire, or otherwise subjected to a damaging situation that is ongoing, we call this DOT or Damage Over Time. While it could be modeled as a series of tiny attacks that had a remote chance of doing damage each second, that is far fiddlier than the people actually playing the game need to deal with. DOT damage is added 1d6 at a time. A DOT effect has a "delay" number, and that number determines how much time passes between damage rolls. When a DOT is introduced to a character, they may make a saving throw against it, and margin of success on that test is added to the Delay Number rather than subtracting from the actual damage done. Being covered in acid for long enough is liable to be a problem for anyone. DOT’s will continue 1d6 damage on schedule until they end. For external sources of damage, that generally means removing the noxious stimulus, while something like an injected poison usually has an amount of time it will persist based on how much was injected (this time could be cut shorter with things like antidotes or diuretics). Damage from the DOT cannot be healed naturally until the DOT ends, though damage from other sources can be.
Damage Over Time:
DelayTime Between DamageExample DOT Source
0 This round.
1 1 round
2 2 rounds
3 4 rounds (1 minute)
4 2 minutes
5 5 minutes
6 15 minutes
7 30 minutes
8 1 hour
9+ 2 hours, x2 Time Each Additional Delay Number (4 Hours, 8 hours, etc)

23. ELECTROCUTION:
Shock damage is something of a oddity. Electricity
flows through the path of least resistance, and it inflicts damage based on
the resistance of the path it flows through. Thus, you can defend yourself
from electricity by covering yourself in high resistance insulation (because it
will redirect electricity away from your body to another path) or by covering
yourself with low resistance conductive mesh (because it will create a preferred path through the mesh and away from your organs). From the standpoint of the game, a character who is protected by especially conductive or non-conductive material is immune to electrical shocks. Electricity is inherently unpredictable, whenever someone is electrocuted, roll 1d3 – if it comes up a 3, increase the Damage by 1d6.
Electric Shocks and Damage
ShockDamage
Wall Socket2d6 Non-Lethal
Electric Fence3d6 Non-Lethal
High Powered Taser4d6 Non-Lethal
Lightning Strike5d6

24. FALLING AND DAMAGE:
Characters will fall from time to time. And falling substantial distances actually can take quite an amount of time. However, in a 15 second combat round a character could fall over 1000 meters – so for practical purposes it’s usually best to simply have characters hit the ground after having just one Simple Action to try to do something about their situation. It is also true that "The bigger they are, the harder they fall." That’s not just a trite saying that He Man gives before tripping giant robots, it’s physical reality. Larger creatures have more mass proportional to their surface area and accelerate at the same speed, truly mice and ants can survive being dropped from any height and elephants can’t even jump without breaking their bones on the way down. Game mechanically this truth is handled by preventing characters from using Brawn saves or damage resistance to reduce falling damage, and by having larger creatures take additional damage from falls. Characters can reduce damage from falls by performing Agility saves or Athletics checks. Magical sources of DR do apply to falling damage, however.

If the character falls onto a hard or sharp surface, increase damage by 1d6 or more. If the falling creature is large, increase the damage by 1d6 or more. If the falling creature is small, reduce the damage by 1d6 or more.
Falling Damage by Height
DistanceDamage
0-2m3d6 Non-Lethal
3-4m4d6 Non-Lethal
5-6m5d6
7-10m6d6
11+m7d6

25. POISON:

26. BREAKING STUFF:
Sometimes you just need to break stuff, so here's some numbers to help with that.
Common Things to Break
TargetDRHP
Small Weapon
Medium Weapon
Large Weapon
Huge Weapon
Armour 6 Melee DR bonus x 5
Buckler 4
Light Shield3 5
Heavy Shield6 6
Riot Shield3 7
Tower Shield3 10

Substances to Break
SubstanceDRHP per cm
Adamantine 10 20
Cloth or paper 0 1
Glass 0 1
Ice 0 1
Iron/Steel 6 10
Leather/hide 2 2
Mithral 7 12
Orichalcum 8 15
Stone, hard 5 7
Stone, soft 4 7
Wood 3 5

27. ARMOR DAMAGE
If an effect would destroy Armor or it is necessary to model the destruction of Armor, reduce Armor value by 1/2, rounded down. Repairing damaged armor costs 25% the armor cost. (If Armor is 50% destroyed, it costs 50% of the armor's normal cost to repair).

28. BROKEN WEAPONS:
If a weapon or shield takes damage that reduces the weapon or shield's hit points to 0, it is broken. A broken melee weapon does half normal damage rounded down. At MC's discretion, attacks with broken weapons can be considered Difficult.

29. ACID:
Damage from exposure to acidic or corrosive substances.
WEAK ACID: 1D4 damage per Round
STRONG ACID: 1D6 damage per Round
VERY STRONG ACID: 1D10 damage per Round
If the target is Armored, reduce the effective Acid strength by one step for the first 2 rounds of exposure. If the acid is Weak, the damage rate instead becomes 1 damage per Round.
Exposure to Very Strong Acid destroys armor after 1d6+2 rounds.

30. COVER AND FORTIFIED POSITIONS:
If a character is at least partially behind a solid object, attacks against them are considered Difficult, and attacks that miss due to the effect of Cover strikes the cover. This can be bypassed with Aimed Attacks. When appropriate (such as for armor-piercing bullets), damage should be rolled to see if the attack bypasses or penetrates cover per the Breaking Stuff rules.

A character entirely behind a defensive structure cannot be hit by small arms fire, though they are potentially vulnerable to siege weapons, explosives, and attacks that target an area.

31. DARKNESS:
If a character is fighting in semi-darkness, all combat and vision-dependent skills become Difficult. If a character is fighting in lightless conditions, all vision-dependent skills uniformly drop to Improbable To detect a target in lightless conditions, successful Awareness tests or Intelligence saving throws(whichever is higher) are required. If successful, skills are only Difficult. If the target is giving off some strong sensory clue (like strong odor), characters may instead use Awareness rolls as normal.

32. SPEAKING:
Speaking is generally a free action, and normal commands or conversation don't cause any penalties. Unless the campaign style allows for soliloquies during combat, try to keep things down to 2 or 3 sentences, tops.
33. ASPHYXIATION AND CHOKING :
Damage is taken if the character cannot breathe.
If the character is not surprised by the situation: Easy Brawn save to hold breath for one minute. After 1 minute, treat the save as Normal, and each round afterward gives a -10% penalty. If the character fails their save they must make Difficulty save or start drowning. Each failure of this roll deals damage based on the asphyxiating substance.
Inhaled Substance Damage
Water 1D10
Smoke 1D3
Dense Smoke 1D6
Poison Gas 1D6+2 plus gas-specific effects

If the character is surprised, character must succeed on an otherwise unmodified d100 roll with a +20% bonus to see if they snuck a breath in. If this succeeds, proceed as above. If the roll fails, saves against asphyxiation are then Difficult.
If the character is being deliberately choked, they must succeed in an Improbable roll each round of choking or take 1D6 damage. This replaces other effects as described above.

34. HOLDING BACK:
If a character wants to do less damage than normal with their attack they must declare it while attacking. This lets them add less or none of their damage bonus and/or roll smaller dice for weapon damage.

35. NON-LETHAL ATTACKS:
Non-lethal attacks are Difficult and must be declared ahead of time. If they hit, the attack does non-lethal damage but if the damage rolled is equal to or greater than their Brawn score the target is knocked unconcious. Otherwise, if their non-lethal damage meets or exceeds their current HP they are knocked unconcious.
36. PRONE:
If a character is prone, all melee attacks or ranged attacks within 5 metres are treated as Easy, while ranged attacks beyond that are Difficult. A prone character can't use a two-handed melee weapon and gains only half their melee damage bonus. A prone character firing ranged weapons gains a +10% bonus to Marksmanship. A character getting up from prone must succeed in an Acrobatics or Agility roll to avoid taking a free attack from nearby enemies, but this takes a Simple Action.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 7=
ENEMIES AND ALLIES

Jackie the Reaver
Tags: [Menhir][Initiate][Vampire][Undead]

Jackie is a newly transformed vampire from the neon-drenched streets of Bastion. She's a blade for hire trying to find her new place in the world after her magic awoke after her turning. She has an enhanced physique and reinforced body from magic, along with what amounts to leather armour and bodysuit with a motorcycle-style helmet. Uses blades; has a magical dagger infused with the Splatterfest power; a gift from the vampire who made her.

Her magical abilities are mostly passive, but she does have Dispel Magic and Lovestruck (a charm effect) as active ones, along with Razor Wind. Being young, she prefers to trick would-be foes into falling for her geas, allowing her to battle in advantageous locations. Jackie is good at combat, but less so at intellectual or social matters. She relies on drugs and lust to make targets easier to enthrall using Lovestruck.

Brawn: 22 (C++)
- Vampire Strength: Double the Brawn score for the purpose of melee damage bonus.
- Lean and Mean: Double the Brawn score for physical skills.
Intelligence: 10 (D)
Will: 10 (D+)
- Vampiric Charm: Double Will for social skills.
Agility: 30 (B)

Saving Throws:
B 52, I 25, W 25, A 60

HP: 47
DB Melee: +4
DB Ranged: +3
DR: 8 (melee), 6 (ballistic)
ER: 8

MP: 20
CL: 2
Essence: 24/25

Skills:
Athletics: 44+20(C) = 64, Awareness: 30+20(C) = 50, Empathy: 20+10(D) = 30, Marksmanship: 30+10(D) = 40, Martial Arts (Knives): 44+40(A) = 84, Medicine (First Aid): 10+10(D) = 20, Persuasion: 20+30(B) = 50, Stealth: 30+20(C) = 50

Magic:
Armoured Flesh (1), 2 Ess
Big Ability Score (Brawn)(1), 2 Ess
Bloodlust (1), 2 Ess
Dispel Magic (2), 2 Ess
Magic Trap (1), 4 Ess
Lovestruck (1), 6 Ess
Moar Health (2) 2 Ess
Phase Walk (2), 2 Ess
Razor Wind (1), 2 Ess

Attacks:
- Combat Glove 84% | 1d4+6
- Kick 84% | 1d4+4
- Knife 94% | 1d4+6
- Longsword 84% | 1d10+4

Gear:
1x Longsword,
2x Combat Glove, 1d4+2,
1x Magic Knife, has 1 lvl of Splatterfest
Leather armour, DR/ER 1/1/3
Helmet, DR/ER 1/1/1
Bodysuit
Assorted non-combat items.
Daksha the Artificer
Tags: [Technomancer][Adept][Human]
Daksha is a middle-aged Duranta technomancer from the desert, having served on one of the stranded starships. Daksha sells his services as an engineer and craftsman from a small garage in Bastion's industrial district.

Daksha is a cranky old man with a core of iron. He's willing to make under the table deals, and isn't afraid to twist agreements to the breaking point.

Occasionally the local gangs try to rob his garage, but they typically leave in a corpse wagon.

Brawn: 10 (D)
Intelligence: 30 (B+)
- Steel Trap: Intelligence doubled for physical skills
Will: 40 (A+)
- Deep Reserves: Will is doubled for Mana Points.
Agility: 20 (C+)
- Deadeye: Agility is doubled for ranged damage bonus.

Saving Throws:
B 25, I 60, W 55, A 50

HP: 36
DB Melee: +1
DB Ranged: +4
DR: 9 (ballistic), 5 (melee)
ER: 4

MP: 65
CL: 5
Essence: 45/45

Skills:
Artisan (Weaponry, Vehicles): 60+40 (A) = 100, Awareness: 60+20 (C) = 80, Construction: 10+20 (C) = 30, Deception: 40+0 (E) = 40, Electronics: 60+10 (D) = 70, Empathy: 40+10 (D) = 50, Intimidation: 40+0 (E) = 40, Magecraft: 60+30 (B) = 90, Marksmanship: 20+40 (A) = 60, Persuasion (barter): 40+0 (E) = 40, Pilot Vehicles: 20+10 (D) = 30, Rigging: 60+30 (B) = 90, Sabotage: 60+0 (E) = 60, Science: 60+30 (B) = 90, Tactics: 60+0 (E) = 60

Magic:
Causality Curse (3), 6 Ess
Cheap Tricks (1), 1 Ess
Combat Drone (3), 6 Ess
Correspond (1), 1 Ess
Dispel Magic (5), 5 Ess
Energy Resistance (1), 1 Ess
Enhance Weapon (4), 4 Ess
Instant Armoury (2), 2 Ess
Lightning (4), 8 Ess
Lightning Jar (1), 4 Ess
Moar Health (2), 2 Ess
Percussive Maintenance (1), 1 Ess
Rejuvenate (1), 2 Ess
Steel Eclipse (3), 3 Ess

Attacks:
- Laser rifle 90% | 3d6+6 fire | 25 shots
- Revolver 90% | 2d10+4 | 6 shots
- Wrench 50% | 1d6+1

Gear:
Laser Rifle, with 3 spare reloads
Revolver, with 2 spare reloads
Magic Ballistic Vest, DR/ER 8/3/6. Has Reinforcement (3) spell active.
6x Origami planes
MONSTERS
Dragon: Tags: [Adept][Awesome][Dragon]
Brawn: 54 (S)
Intelligence: 5 (E++)
- Draconic Cunning: Triple the Intelligence score for the purpose of skill tests.
Will: 30 (B+)
- Draconic Mage: Double Will for the purposes of CL.
Agility: 20 (C)

Saving Throws:
B 84, I 20, W 45, A 50

HP: 81
DB Melee: +5
DB Ranged: +2
DR: 13 (ballistic), 13 (melee)
ER: 9

MP: 35
CL: 8
Essence: 45/45

Skills:
Athletics: 54+10 (D)= 64, Awareness (Scent): 15+30 (B) = 45, Empathy (Detecting Lies): 20+30 (B) = 50, Intimidation: 20+40 (A) = 60, Investigation: 15+20 (C) = 35, Magecraft (Menhir): 15+40 (A) = 55, Persuasion: 20+30 (B) = 50, Survival: 50+10 (D) = 60, Tactics: 15+20 (C) = 35

Attacks:
- Bite, 125% | 2d6+5
- Claw, 125% | 1d10+5
- Tail Slap, 125% | 1d6+5

Gear:
Dragon's Hoard [lots of loot]

Abilities:
Element Resistance: Dragons gain energy resistance 10 against a specific energy damage, such as fire, cold, sonic, etc. Their scales gain a colour tint related to that colour.
Natural Weapons: Dragons get a bite attack that deals 2d6 damage, claws that deal 1d10, and a tail slap that deals 1d6.
Primal Magic: Dragons learn all Menhir magic at half cost.
Blessing of Fyiad: Dragons use their Will attribute to determine their caster limit, in place of their Intelligence.

Magic:
Armoured Flesh, lvl 8, 8 Ess
Battle Cry, lvl 1, 1 Ess
Bigger Attribute (Brawn), lvl 2, 2 Ess
Bloodlust, lvl 3, 3 Ess
Dragon's Breath, lvl 2, 6 Ess
Lion's Roar, lvl 2, 4 Ess
Meteor Charge, lvl 2, 4 Ess
Moar Health, lvl 8, 8 Ess
Splatterfest, lvl 1, 1 Ess
Stomp, lvl 2, 2 Ess
Walk It Off, lvl 4, 4 Ess
Wings of Flight, lvl 2, 2 Ess

----------------------
Skeleton:
Tags: [Menhir][Novice][Undead]

Brawn: 20 (C)
Intelligence: 5 (E)
Will: 5 (E)
Agility: 10 (D)

Saving Throws:
B 40, I 20, W 20, A 40

HP: 40
DB Melee: +2
DB Ranged: +1
DR: 16* (ballistic), 14* (melee)
* If hit by bludgeoning weapons, reduce DR by 10.
ER:

MP: 35
CL: 2
Essence: 12/12

Skills:
Awareness: 5+10(D) = 15, Athletics: 20+10 (D) = 20, Construction: 20+10 (D) = 30 , Martial Arts (Longsword): 20+20 (C) = 40, Marksmanship (Longbow): 10+20 (C) = 30

Attacks:
- Longsword 55% | 1d10+3
- Longbow, 55% | 1d10+2
- Claw, 45% | 1d4+3

Gear:
Longbow w/ 15 arrows
Longsword
Leather armour, DR 1/1/3
Helmet DR/ER 1/1/1
Buckler DR 1/1/1

Bag of Bones: Skeletons get DR 10/Bludgeoning and are immune to cold damage.
Natural Weapons: Skeletons gain claw attacks that deal 1d6 damage.
Dark Sight: Skeletons can see in the dark to 30 metres in black and white.
Weapon Familiarity: Skeletons are specialized with the gear they were raised with, but can wield whatever they're shown how to use.
Speechless: Skeletons cannot speak.
Tireless: Skeletons cannot tire, so they automatically pass Brawn tests for endurance purposes.

----------------------

Zombie (Slow): Tags: [Undead][Mindless]

Brawn: 30 (B)
Intelligence: 0 (F)
Will: 5 (E)
Agility: 5 (E)

Saving Throws:
B 30, I 0, W 5, A 5

HP: 40
DB Melee: +3
DB Ranged: +0
DR: 4 (ballistic), 5 (melee)

Skills:
None.

Attacks:
- Bite, 75% | 1d4+7
- Punch, 75% | 1d3+7

Gear:
Tough Clothing, DR/ER 1/1/2

Brain Rot Zombies are always untrained for skills.
Natural Weapons: Zombies gain a bite attack that deal 1d4 damage.
Shambler: Zombies cannot move faster than a Stroll
Tireless: Zombies cannot tire, so they automatically pass Brawn tests for endurance purposes.
Undead Toughness:[/u] Zombies gain +5 Bonus HP.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

=CHAPTER 8=

CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT:
After an adventure characters gain an increase to their abilities:

- Increase two stats by +2 and the other two by +1.
- Gain +5 points to distribute between your skills.
- Gain +2 Essence.

An adventure that was particularly challenging might double the bonuses granted, if the MC so chooses.

Additionally, there are some other forms of character advancement to be had, but they are a bit more rare; once every other adventure, or when the MC deems appropriate, you can gain the following:
- You gain another attribute perk to any attribute you like.
- You gain another skill specialization to any skill you like.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, should I keep the skill section as is, or change it to something better?

1) Keep as is?
2) Keep as is, but add a 0 on each set of numbers at the start, thereby eliminting the last part where the numbers get multiplied?
3) http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=307692#307692 Use that idea I had? It has the advantage of simplicity but it means that all skills within a category have the same skill mod, essentially.
4) ???
-----------------------

Been thinking about power points as well. Been considering going to an encounter-based system, but the exact details elude me.

Here's what I'm considering: we start out with some number, say the formula I have already. If during battle you run out, you can try to get a second wind which could give you PP equal to your Will score perhaps, or maybe 2x it? Regardless, there would be a penalty of some sort, perhaps fatigue and/or a CL penalty.
My idea is that you can fully 'rest' and recharge your PP any number of times a day if you take 15 minutes, but it would be a case of diminishing returns. For each additional encounter in the day, some ideally easy to determine number would be subtracted from the encounter's starting PP. Maybe first refresh is free, 2nd one you subtract your Will score, then the next some larger number, and so on.

The goal is that you can totally keep doing shit that you need doing in an adventure, but regardless of how many breathers you take, you're eventually need to set up camp and sleep or something. I like the ability to keep going (It was awesome with ToB), but there needs to be a cap on the amount of spells you can do in a day at some point.

Thoughts and suggestions?
Last edited by Meikle641 on Sat May 18, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Are the NPC opponents of PC's expected to draw from the same powers available to PC's?
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

That was the thought, yes. That said, I fully expect players and NPCs to have custom spells, once I fully codify the creation process (unlike BRP).

Anyway, the thought is that only perhaps 1 in 20 is a fully-fledged magic user (PC level), while about 4 in 20 are just talents (tiny handfull of spells). Why?
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Updated skills chapter with actual content.
Fixed formatting and changed a couple things on chapter 2.

Also, I'm going to get rid of Horizon as a magic tradition entirely. There was no real need for a hybrid power source.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Updated the magic chapter with improved formatting. Some spells were changed and others added. Can't recall what they were off hand.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, so far (first post), here are some things to note:
Brawn (BRN)
Brawn covers...
Acumen (ACU)
Intelligence covers...
Agility (AGI)
Balance, dexterity, speed.
Moxie (MOX)
Willpower, magical aptitude, and charisma...
Just call them Brawn, Intelligence, Willpower, Agility if you're still calling the game BIWA. Otherwise, people who don't know about the Japanese word are going to be a bit confused. Possibly you were intending on doing that but just forgot to change the text.
Beginner Characters: Abilities start at one. You must first decide what priority each score has as you allocate 1 point to one, 3 to the next, and 5 to the last. You then get 2 points to spend however you wish. No characteristic can start higher than 6 at stat generation.
Experienced Characters: As beginner, with the following changes. Point allotments are instead 2, 4, and 5. Experienced characters get 3 points to spend however you wish. No skill can start higher than 8.
By Abilities I assume you mean the BIWA characteristics above? So this means that, as a beginner character, you'd have one stat of 6, one of 4, one of 2 and one of 1, before adding the two bonus points, right?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Well, could just drop the all-caps for BIWA, just making it Biwa. I think I meant to after things got further along.
Koumei wrote: By Abilities I assume you mean the BIWA characteristics above? So this means that, as a beginner character, you'd have one stat of 6, one of 4, one of 2 and one of 1, before adding the two bonus points, right?
That's the idea, yup. Taken from After Sundown.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Update:
- Made the stats form the word BIWA once more
- Ability scores are now referred to as Attributes in chapter 2
- Removed and/or jiggered some numbers for races
- Renamed "Warborn" to "Promethean", added a first attempt for a [Loyalty] ability. The IDEA is to try and emulate the relationship between humans and Bolo tanks from the Bolo series. Or perhaps the hapless NS4 robots from I Robot, like when Will Smith's character walks in on them being destroyed. But yeah. Advice would be nice.
- Tried to removed all obsolete BRP ability score references
- Renamed WEAPON AFLAME to ENERGY WEAPON, along with revising how it works entirely.
- Added flavour text and a note on ammunition in chapter 5
- Added the sections for Untrained Skills and Heavy Lifting to skills

Plus assorted typos and formatting fixes.

Edit:
- Added armour
- actually updated the magic section
- Added how reach weapons work
- Boosted starting HP from 10 + bullshit to 15 + bullshit
Last edited by Meikle641 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

I'd drop party hard. The bonus is minor enough it's not worth writing imo.

The vampires need to have their killing them creating them reworked I think, for example they should die if burned to death.

Spawning new vampires should specify fresh blood, otherwise take a vampire, bleed him into the water supply and giggle.

I don't see the point of not coming with batteries. The golem could just stand in a fire/hold a lighter to his hand and recharge that way. If that's what you want, fine.

I'll comment more after I've read more.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

Came in off the link thread but I may as well post here...I think issue is that its a bit dry to read since there's lots of lists without necessarily all the content to parse them easily, I think. Though that said, I don't often read IMOI either.
Anyways, thoughts.

System core:
Don't think the extra granularity of d100+mods is particularly much better than d20+mods. Doubling modifier means breaking the RNG much more easily - though halving extends it. Under 'skill bonus' +stat on d100 isn't much (but default for untrained is 5x this ???confused.)

Attribute priorities specify points for three attributes when there are four.

Species Stuff:
Vampires seem to get benefits for lower Will scores?

Lizardfolk - regeneration ability is of a dubious power level depending on other healing mechanics (chances are good it breaks your resource management model, if there is one).

I'm not sure how to evaluate the AP costs for abilities really (couldn't see how many you get; pardon me if I'm just being blind and/or illiterate).
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Awesome. Responses. Let's get to it.
CCarter wrote: System core:
Don't think the extra granularity of d100+mods is particularly much better than d20+mods. Doubling modifier means breaking the RNG much more easily - though halving extends it. Under 'skill bonus' +stat on d100 isn't much (but default for untrained is 5x this ???confused.)
Well, I am certainly wary of inflating the RNG too much, I'm also looking to keep bonuses reduced. Starting numbers for skills might be a little high, but further advancement will be slower.

Ahh, I think I see the problem. Skill bonuses from attributes are supposed to only apply to trained skills. I'll be fixing that. Still, the number isn't too big, but attributes do grow over time. Open to getting rid of the bonus, though, since it'd streamline things.

Untrained skill mods are 5x attribute, yes, so a dude with 7 Agility would have a 35% chance of success on applicable untrained checks.
CCarter wrote: Attribute priorities specify points for three attributes when there are four.
That's semi-intentional. It just means that one stat is a dump stat, unless you spend your floating bonus on it.
CCarter wrote: Species Stuff:
Vampires seem to get benefits for lower Will scores?

Lizardfolk - regeneration ability is of a dubious power level depending on other healing mechanics (chances are good it breaks your resource management model, if there is one).
Not sure what you mean about vampires and Will scores. Do you mean because they can consume blood for PP?

As for lizardfolk, it's basically limited invincibility. Characters are incapacitated at 0 HP, but only die if you you basically CdG them. If a character is healed within that round of being attacked like that, they're "brought back to life".
tl;dr, they'll keep coming back unless actively put down, particularly using cold or acid damage.

Otherwise it's just free 1 HP of healing each round. Could use work, though.

CCarter wrote: I'm not sure how to evaluate the AP costs for abilities really (couldn't see how many you get; pardon me if I'm just being blind and/or illiterate).
Understandable, given all the stuff there. Beginner characters start with 19 while Experienced ones start with 32.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Thymos wrote:I'd drop party hard. The bonus is minor enough it's not worth writing imo.
Good point. It was a holdover from the old method of resistance tests. Should I just go with making the tests to avoid intoxication/addiction one step easier? That would make it on par with the human endurance ability.

Thymos wrote: The vampires need to have their killing them creating them reworked I think, for example they should die if burned to death.

Spawning new vampires should specify fresh blood, otherwise take a vampire, bleed him into the water supply and giggle.
Fire can burn them to ash, but I'm content to keep the stake to the heart as the perma-kill method. Still, reworking things probably would be good for clarity, maybe.
Thymos wrote: I don't see the point of not coming with batteries. The golem could just stand in a fire/hold a lighter to his hand and recharge that way. If that's what you want, fine.
Yeah, not too proud of Batteries Not Included. Based it off the BRP system's rules for vampires; in BRP vamps didn't get a POW stat (Will) at all, and only get PP from draining people. Kinda shitty and open to major abuse, particularly with item creation. So that had to go.

Anyway, the idea of the golems recharging themselves with fire was something I wanted to encourage. But since fire and shock damage is common I don't want it too be too crazy awesome. I suppose that will depend on the final method for PP recovery.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

OK thanks.

Ah, on the attributes on the quick read-through I missed the 'attributes start at 1' and and assumed starting stats were 1/3/5 instead of 1/2/4/6.
Oops.

Searching through again, the Vampire ability I was looking at was where if they 'die' they need points equal to WILL to revive.

I don't understand the rationale for why attributes have five times the effect on skill percentage if the skill is untrained? (Also, how would a raw attribute check work? - same way?).

Abilities are pretty cool, although, making them spells seems a little bland (everyone's a wizard?). They could just as well be super-powers that get reskinned into anything. Also, after a closer look through the powers I guess I shouldn't complain about the lizardfolk - powers are strong enough that running out of PPs is probably more important than running out of hit points given that there are powers that travel through time, instakill people and crush mountains in there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

CCarter wrote:Searching through again, the Vampire ability I was looking at was where if they 'die' they need points equal to WILL to revive.
Hrm, yeah not sure how I missed that for the Will requirement for revival. Will fix.

CCarter wrote:I don't understand the rationale for why attributes have five times the effect on skill percentage if the skill is untrained? (Also, how would a raw attribute check work? - same way?).
Well, the idea is that you're going off raw ability and stuff. Ability score x5 isn't much, but it is better than nothing when you're doing something you have no ranks in. I'm not sure I really like skills having negligible effect on skill attempts, but there we are.
CCarter wrote:Abilities are pretty cool, although, making them spells seems a little bland (everyone's a wizard?). They could just as well be super-powers that get reskinned into anything. Also, after a closer look through the powers I guess I shouldn't complain about the lizardfolk - powers are strong enough that running out of PPs is probably more important than running out of hit points given that there are powers that travel through time, instakill people and crush mountains in there.
Every PC is a mage, yup. I figured it'd be a good way to discourage BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner, to some degree.

Powers are a bit generic, but they do the job. Basically, yeah, they're super powers, D&D feats and assorted magical tricks.

Heh, yeah the higher end powers are pretty powerful, but that was the intent. For example, MOONBITER is a supposed to emulate Roland and other badasses who mess with the landscape. BRP's magic was really, really limited in scope (compared to D&D and CoC), so I wanted to do something that could allow for more mythic levels of magic.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

UPDATE

Chapter 1
- Added a new difficulty modifier, called Improbable

Chapter 2
- Changed Kitsune's Party Hard ability
- Added Tengu race
- Increased Beginner AP to 25 from 19, and Experienced AP to 40 from 32.
- Caster Level is now Will + Intelligence/2.
- Altered the skill system somewhat, and changed how attributes give bonuses to skills
- Vampires: Changed blood pool revival cost, added attack bonus for biting

Chapter 3
- Folded Brawn and Agility skills into "Physical", Will into "Social" and Intelligence into "Technical".
- Added the following skills: Bureaucracy, Electronics, Expression, Intimidation, Sabotage, Tactics.
- Renamed Perception to Awareness

Chapter 4
- Changed how Power Slide works, slightly.
- Decreased cost of DEEP POCKETS
- Increased bonus HP from MOAR HEALTH to 3 per level from 2
Added the following magic:
- Combat Drone
- Combat School
- Energy Resistance
- Enhance Weapon
- Healing Touch
- Light
- Nerfbat
- Reinforcement
- Shadow
- Supersize Me

Chapter 5
- Changed damage for pistol, laser pistol, revolver, assault rifle, rifle, shotgun, and sniper rifle
- Added reload time information to ranged weapons

Chapter 6
- Changed movement speeds slightly. Also added rules for moving faster.
- Changed Resistance tests to x11 from x5
- Added assorted combat stuff

Chapter 7
- Added sample characters
Last edited by Meikle641 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

With the July updates, this is starting to look pretty interesting. I basically skimmed over everything at first when I saw BIWA was a d100 system.

How strongly are you planning to tie the mechanics to the default setting?