Social Combat: An idea

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: Social Combat: An idea

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Pretty much, yeah. If I wanted a world where talking is a much better option that violence theres reality. I want talking to be reserved for people who are already sharing similar goals to you or enemy mooks. When it comes to the real power players its sword time.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

What's the fascination with a world in which violence is used to solve every problem?

-Crissa
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1201490634[/unixtime]]What's the fascination with a world in which violence is used to solve every problem?

I don't think violence should solve everything.

Basically there should be a series of problems, some better solved with social and others better solved with violence.

But I suppose I feel a social solution is not making someone your slave, it's reaching a reasonable compromise with them whereby you make out pretty well and manage to avoid a combat. Social is the low risk option to getting into a fight, and naturally less risk means less reward.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I don't think anyone's suggesting that the ultimate outcome of every social encounter is that the party wins everything they want without price. It needs to be possible, but it doesn't need to be the ultimate, or even only result of every social encounter.

Let's go ahead and set the corolation between the "The party gets everything they ask for with no drawbacks at all" outcome to the "One-Shot Kill" option. It should be possible, but it shouldn't be easy or reliable, because it it works too much it makes the game Less Fun.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1201490634[/unixtime]]What's the fascination with a world in which violence is used to solve every problem?

-Crissa

Not every problem. But this is D&D, I rather expect to be able to solve the major enemy scenario with violence and have that be the reasonable option.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

-Crissa

Violence isn't the answer.

Violence is the question. The answer is yes.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.