WHO ARE YOU!?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I'm eighteen, white, male, straight, and originally from Australia but now living in the States. I'm in my third year of a undergrad philosophy degree at a small college in Massachussets (long story). I don't really have any career plans just yet, but I'm thinking about philosophy grad school or law school, depending on how my admissions/LSAT/undergrad thesis/whatever pan out. Failing that, I have no idea. I've just recently started getting into League of Legends, so that consumes a fair amount of my time, but other than that there's nothing that I really sink a great deal of my time into.

Single (the dating pool here is like a tidepool filled with shit).

I haven't met any fellow denners in person, although given how many of us are in Mass there's a chance I've at least seen you.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I'm 33 and live in Michigan. I'm married and have two young girls, and I'm getting the older one (four years old) interested in D&D. I write software for a living.

I've been playing D&D since I was 14 (I started with 2E). A little over a month ago, I got seriously involved in modding Doom. I'm making a bit of a zombie survival game out of it, and it's been costing me all kinds of sleep. When I make a bit more progress, I'll probably post a thread the the new vidja games forum.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Whipstitch wrote:I am 31 and useless.
Stick with it, in seven years you'll be me.

So I'm 38, from Nooziland, and I talk shit on the net. It is somewhat less awesome than it sounds. When I grow up, I want to be less afraid of everything, like posting this, about which I am having one of my little panic attacks.

Fear not, there are also many good things in my life. Just not particularly interesting ones.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Korgan0 wrote:I don't really have any career plans just yet, but I'm thinking about philosophy grad school or law school, depending on how my admissions/LSAT/undergrad thesis/whatever pan out.
Do not go to law school just because you aren't sure what you want to do with your life. The economics of the legal profession don't work that way anymore; the job market for lawyers tanked in 2008 and it's only slowly recovering. It's still worth doing if it's something you genuinely want to do, but it's a huge waste of money otherwise (and possibly a huge waste of money even if you want to be a lawyer, since only a few people end up making six figures at law firms).

Take some time off after college, and get a job of some kind. Figure out what you actually like doing, before you commit to law school. If you're really interested in it, work for a law firm as a paralegal or something, to see what the job actually involves.

I wasn't planning on posting about myself, but since it's relevant to the above, I'm a third year law student, about to graduate. In the US, eastern time zone.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Whatever wrote:
Korgan0 wrote:I don't really have any career plans just yet, but I'm thinking about philosophy grad school or law school, depending on how my admissions/LSAT/undergrad thesis/whatever pan out.
Do not go to law school just because you aren't sure what you want to do with your life. The economics of the legal profession don't work that way anymore; the job market for lawyers tanked in 2008 and it's only slowly recovering. It's still worth doing if it's something you genuinely want to do, but it's a huge waste of money otherwise (and possibly a huge waste of money even if you want to be a lawyer, since only a few people end up making six figures at law firms).

Take some time off after college, and get a job of some kind. Figure out what you actually like doing, before you commit to law school. If you're really interested in it, work for a law firm as a paralegal or something, to see what the job actually involves.

I wasn't planning on posting about myself, but since it's relevant to the above, I'm a third year law student, about to graduate. In the US, eastern time zone.
That's pretty much what I've heard, yeah. I'm not really that interested in being a lawyer, but there's always a chance I'd ace the LSAT or something and miraculously get into a great school, and there honestly aren't that many other career options for philosophy majors out there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Whatever wrote:I wasn't planning on posting about myself, but since it's relevant to the above, I'm a third year law student, about to graduate. In the US, eastern time zone.
SPECIFY SCHOOL.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Korgan0 wrote:That's pretty much what I've heard, yeah. I'm not really that interested in being a lawyer, but there's always a chance I'd ace the LSAT or something and miraculously get into a great school, and there honestly aren't that many other career options for philosophy majors out there.
I suppose I will very briefly actually address this.

So, getting a job after law school seems to be about 70% about how much and how soon you start working at it.

I go to a very average, possibly even mediocre school, and I am set for as long as I want to be. Obviously part of that is grades, especially first semester grades, but a large part of that is that I lined everything up very early. I had my first job lined up by the end of my first summer, and had my second job lined up coming out of my first semester of 2L year, and even if my second job wasn't a federal clerkship, which almost always equates to a decent job somewhere else, I have a firm lined up to work at this summer, and if my past experience with judges is any indication, there is a very good chance that they will be willing to offer me a job after my clerkships.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

A/S/L thread? A/S/L thread.

37, male, Rio de Janeiro. I'm also a programmer. I've been playing RPGs since I was 16 or so, and with basically the same group of friends.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I'm a 21-year old physics student at the University of Victoria (British Columbia). I've always lived on Vancouver Island.

I know there's at least one other Islander on this board, but I can't remember who.
At least 2 other islanders, as I'm about 100% sure none of my posts mentioned that I'm from here, and I doubt I post enough for anyone to notice me, anyways.

I'm from near Toronto, Ontario, but spent the last 5 years at the University of Victoria (Canada) doing Political Science and Philosophy with a minor in Tech and Society. I'm done now, and plant trees for a living (I'm at 700 000 now and hope to hit 1 million fall of 2014).

Gaming is a good hobby that I enjoy a lot, but fits poorly with my busy life and other hobbies --- I travel lots, having crossed Canada a half dozen times and just spent 4 months in Europe, and am going back this spring to see some places I missed. Then an Australia/South East Asia trip for 4-6 months in 2014/2015, I think.

As for the future, who knows? For now, it's just another tree in the ground.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

35, live in Portland, OR. Grew up in VA.

I work for a natural foods company in logistics. Have been in the milling industry for 14 years now. Did one term of community college- majoring in Fire Science. Dropped out because I was too busy to be a fireman, and my creative writing prof told me I wasn't a very good writer. As some of you may know, I am a published author so fuck that guy. EDIT: As of this week, I'm hoping to move into the marketing department as a proofreader/editor. So cross your fucking fingers.

Have three older kids (and lost 10 years) from an abusive marriage right after high school. Currently married to an awesome non-crazy person, and we have one daughter (the 4-year-old game designer) and another on the way in the summer. Yes, I need to stop making babies.

For funtime, I write novels, short fiction, and criticism, and edit a music blog. I play music- currently teaching myself how to play the drums and bajo sexto. I also like art, hiking, and cooking.
Last edited by JigokuBosatsu on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Ikeren wrote: I'm done now, and plant trees for a living (I'm at 700 000 now and hope to hit 1 million fall of 2014).
That sounds pretty cool. My specific office and workspace doesn't have any exterior doors or windows. :/
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

JigokuBosatsu wrote: and another on the way in the summer.
Congratulations!
JigokuBosatsu wrote:Yes, I need to stop making babies.
You know, there are fairly reliable operations you can get? :p
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Yeah, that's happening soon. They knowing my supernatural sperm, it might not take.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:Yeah, that's happening soon. They knowing my supernatural sperm, it might not take.
So, you think you're going to be one of the 0.1 to 0.15%?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I'm 34. I'm a teacher in North Texas. I'm married. I have one child.

I've been gaming since November 1990.

I've met Count Arioch, Frank, Sir Neil, Oberoni, Ramnza (I'm married to her, in fact), Zherog, Dragon Child, Dragon Snack, and Absentminded Wizard.

I've met Josh and Meg from Brilliant Gameologists. I've never been to their board or listened to their podcast, but in person they're fun to hang with.

I've also met some of the folks from Nifty, if that means anything to you, including Medesha, Arturick, Galahad, and...I'm probably forgetting some folks. If I am, I very much apologize.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

May as well chime in.

Male age 20, Attending Hudson Valley Community Collage but transferring to Potsdam in the fall semester.
Last edited by Mistborn on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

It's very, very strange to think that a substantial majority of the people in this thread have been playing TTRPG's since before I was born.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Korgan0 wrote:It's very, very strange to think that a substantial majority of the people in this thread have been playing TTRPG's since before I was born.
Don't worry, I assure you it's a goddamn reality shock for me to realize that a substantial group of players were busy being born back when I was busy rolling dice and pretending to be an elf or a vampire in somebody's room.

Any decade now, I'm sure I'll outgrow this hobby and move on with whatever seniors do with their spare time.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I recently attended a showing of Star Trek 2 with the Portland Scifi Book Club, which I had just joined. It was really awkward- all those early-mid twenty-somethings, and me in my tweed jacket and white beard. :(
Last edited by JigokuBosatsu on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Well, a little late to the party (blame the time zones!)...

I'm a 32 year old white male and I live in the north of England with my partner and our 3 kids. I completed college but never did the Uni thing, preferring a typical british adolescence of going to raves and consuming copious amounts of drugs. I currently work as an administrator in the regional office of a multinational construction company.

I've been roleplaying with a group of friends since we were 6 years old. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say we never grew out of let's pretend. We meet up at least once a week to play M:TG, D&D, or one of our many homebrew games or systems.

Reading this thread has made me feel pretty old.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Who am I?

Jean Valjean.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:I recently attended a showing of Star Trek 2 with the Portland Scifi Book Club, which I had just joined. It was really awkward- all those early-mid twenty-somethings, and me in my tweed jacket and white beard. :(
Damn, dude. Not asking for any details, but would you say it's worth seeing?
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

27-year-old male in Washington. The State, not the supposedly shitty one back east. Programmer, when I can get people to actually give me money to do that instead of hit things with tests.

Out of the people on this board, I went to undergrad school with Manxome and endersdouble. Don't think I've met any of the rest of you.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Korgan0 wrote:
JigokuBosatsu wrote:I recently attended a showing of Star Trek 2 with the Portland Scifi Book Club, which I had just joined. It was really awkward- all those early-mid twenty-somethings, and me in my tweed jacket and white beard. :(
Damn, dude. Not asking for any details, but would you say it's worth seeing?
It's got a pretty decent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The new one doesn't release until May 17th.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I hope both the old Star Trek II and the new Star Trek II (well, technically Star Trek XII) both feature Khan.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee