Mutants and Masterminds NPCs; please critique

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Mutants and Masterminds NPCs; please critique

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I found out that I am having much more fun playing Mutants and Masterminds than D&D, so I decided to switch. I am currently GMing a Power Level 8 game. Here are my NPCs.

Honey Bee Power Level 8
Str 16 (+3) Dex 16 (+3) Con 16 (+3) Int 12 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 16 (+3)
Toughness +8/+3 (without Bee Costume) Fortitude +8 Reflex +8 Will +7
Skills Acrobatics 6 (+9), Concentration 6 (+8), Diplomacy 7 (+10), Handle Animal 8 (+11), Notice 8 (+10), Stealth 7 (+10), Survival 8 (+10)
Feats Animal Empathy, Attractive 2, Move-by Action, Quick Change, Track
Powers Animal Control 10 (Flaw: Bugs only), Flight 5, Paralyze 5 (Stinger), Device (Bee Costume [Protection 5], hard to lose), Strike 4 (Power Feat: Mighty)
Combat Attack +5, Damage +7 (Unarmed Strike), Defense +5 Initiative +3
The Math: Abilities 30+ Skills 10 (ranks 40) + Feats 5+ Powers 40+ Combat 20+ Saves 15 =120

The Nerd Power Level 8
Str 8 (-1) Dex 10 (0) Con 10 (0) Int 30 (+10) Wis 20 (+5) Cha 8 (-1)
Toughness +10/+0 (without Force Shield) Fortitude +6 Reflex +6 Will +10
Skills Computers 6 (+16), Concentration 2 (+7), Craft (Chemical, Electronics, Mechanical, Structural) 6 (+16), Disable 2 (+12), Knowledge (Physical Sciences, Technology) 6 (+16), Notice 2 (+7), Sense Motive 2 (+7).
Feats Assessment, Eidetic Memory, Improved Aim, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Master Plan, Move-by Action, Precise Shot 2.
Powers Device 2 (Jetpack, Flight 5, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Force Gun, Telekinesis 5, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Force Shield, Force Field 8, Protection 2, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Wrist-worn computer, Datalink 10, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Energy Carbine, Blast 5, Easy to Lose)
Combat Attack +5, Damage +5 (Energy Carbine), Defense +2 Initiative +0
The Math: Abilities 26+ Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 9+ Powers 42+ Combat 14+ Saves 17= 120

Sierra Power Level 8
Str 16 (+3) Dex 20 (+5) Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (0) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 14 (+2)
Toughness +6 Fortitude +7 Reflex +13 Will +7
Skills Acrobatics 6 (+11), Concentration 6 (+8), Escape Artist 6 (+11), Gather Information 6 (+8), Knowledge (Streetwise) 10 (+10), Sleight of Hand 6 (+11)
Feats Grappling Finesse, Improved Grapple, Move-by Action, Quick Draw 2, Stunning Attack, Throwing Mastery 4
Powers Strike 5 (Power Feat: Mighty), Super-speed 5
Combat Attack +5 Defense +5 Initiative +25
The Math: Abilities 28+ Skills 10 (ranks 40) + Feats 10+ Powers 26+ Combat 20+ Saves 18= 120

Do these NPCs have any glaring weak points?
virgil
King

Re: Mutants and Masterminds NPCs; please critique

Post by virgil »

They all seem pretty well-rounded, first off. This could be seen as a weakness, as they're not specialized at all; which means any PC with a specialized ability (read: a PC) isn't going to see much challenge unless the PC himself has a glaring weakness.

If you're intending these villains to work together as a team, then they need to diversify their strengths a bit more, because a trick that works on one will work on all of them.

One major thing I'm noticing is that their actual PL is 6 or 7, the way you have their offense & defense balanced. Don't forget that, for NPCs, you do not need to follow the PP guidelines; you're not breaking any rules if you say they're PL 6 and spent 120pp.

If your players are playing PL 6 themselves, then they'd work fine as is (assuming you boosted their PL to actually be 8). As it stands, they're borderline mooks for all the threat they pose to a party, unless they're accompanied by a group of goons and they're the mooks with nametags.

Another thing I notice is that Sierra has Quick Draw 2, with a complete lack of weapons that need to be loaded quickly, unless you want him drawing two weapons a round for his one attack per round assault.

The Nerd is the most competent of the three, if only because he has Master Plan to make him a proper PL and inventor to have the best trick possible.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Sierra has pockets full of throwing knives. How would you suggest powering them up? More Power Points?
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

The Player Characters of my game were built at Power Level 8.

Okay, I revised the stats. How about now?

Sierra Power Level 8
Str 16 (+3) Dex 24 (+7) Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (0) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 14 (+2)
Toughness +6 Fortitude +10 Reflex +13 Will +9
Skills Acrobatics 6 (+11), Concentration 6 (+8), Escape Artist 6 (+11), Gather Information 6 (+8), Knowledge (Streetwise) 10 (+10), Sleight of Hand 6 (+11)
Feats Grappling Finesse, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Quick Draw 2, Stunning Attack, Throwing Mastery 4
Powers Strike 5 (Power Feat: Mighty), Super-speed 7 (Power Feats: Rapid Attack, Rapid Fire, Water Walking)
Combat Attack +6 (+10 with throwing knives) Defense +4 Initiative +43
The Math: Abilities 32+ Skills 10 (ranks 40) + Feats 12+ Powers 43+ Combat 20+ Saves 29= 146

Honey Bee Power Level 8
Toughness +18/+3 (without Bee Costume) Fortitude +8 Reflex +8 Will +7
Skills Acrobatics 6 (+9), Concentration 6 (+8), Diplomacy 7 (+10), Handle Animal 8 (+11), Notice 8 (+10), Stealth 7 (+10), Survival 8 (+10)
Powers Animal Control 10 (Flaw: Bugs only), Flight 5, Paralyze 10 (Stinger), Device 3 (Bee Costume [Protection 15], hard to lose), Strike 4 (Power Feat: Mighty)
The Math: Abilities 30+ Skills 10 (ranks 40) + Feats 5+ Powers 58+ Combat 20+ Saves 15 =138

The Nerd Power Level 8
Str 8 (-1) Dex 10 (0) Con 16 (+3) Int 30 (+10) Wis 20 (+5) Cha 8 (-1)
Toughness +13/+3 (without Force Shield) Fortitude +9 Reflex +6 Will +10
Skills Computers 6 (+16), Concentration 2 (+7), Craft (Chemical, Electronics, Mechanical, Structural) 6 (+16), Disable 2 (+12), Knowledge (Physical Sciences, Technology) 6 (+16), Notice 2 (+7), Sense Motive 2 (+7).
Feats Assessment, Eidetic Memory, Improved Aim, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Master Plan, Move-by Action, Precise Shot 2.
Powers Device 2 (Jetpack, Flight 5, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Force Gun, Telekinesis 5, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Force Shield, Force Field 8, Protection 2, Hard to Lose), Device 2 (Wrist-worn computer, Datalink 10, Hard to Lose), Device 6 (Energy Carbine, Blast 15, Easy to Lose)
Combat Attack +5, Damage +5 (Energy Carbine), Defense +2 Initiative +0
The Math: Abilities 32+ Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 9+ Powers 54+ Combat 14+ Saves 17= 138
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

We've got strengths now, good. You still need to rewrite their PL, as none of them are actually PL 8. Their actual PL is the higher of the two I'll be listing for each (Sierra is basically PL 7), and you'll need to be aware of their weak point since their offensive/defensive PLs aren't equal.

Sierra: PL 5 defense (specialty PL 8 in Reflex), PL 7 offense. Being a smidgen low isn't bad when your offense is a selective area attack and you take advantage of move-by action (after the first round or two, the players should take the hint and ready an action, but it's done the job by then). I might suggest he take the Improved Defense action so he can actually stand around to taunt them without being splattered.

Honey Bee: PL 7 offense, PL 12 defense (with very high trade-off). Make sure you're aware her stinger forces a Will save (if it's poison and you don't think it's appropriate, then add the +0 extra, Alternate Save). You'll likely want to stat up some bug minions for her to use.

The Nerd: PL 7 defense (with very high trade-off), PL 5 offense. Still likely the most capable of the three if he plans ahead of time (which villains have the advantage in).
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Whoa, Honey Bee is PL 12?! How would you suggest I knock her down to PL 8?
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Also, if you would be kind enough to look at one more NPC, then I'll be fine. Thank you.

Sunshine Power Level 10
Str 26 (+8) Dex 16 (+3) 28 (+9) Int 6 (-2) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 6 (-2)
Toughness +15 Fortitude +15 Reflex +10 Will +10
Skills Climb 4 (+12), Concentration 4 (+6), Escape Artist 4 (+7), Intimidate 15 (+13), Notice 13 (+15) Swim 4 (+12)
Feats All-out Attack, Ambidexterity Attack Focus 10 (Melee), Attack Specialization 1 (Melee), Chokehold, Fast Overrun, Fearless, Fearsome Presence 10, Grappling Finesse, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Overrun, Improved Pin, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Power Attack
Powers Immunity 10 (Mental Effects), Leaping 5, Super-Strength 8 (Power Feats: Groundstrike, Shockwave, Super-Breath, Thunderclap), Swimming 5
Combat Attack +0, +10 Melee (Meat Cleaver), Damage +12 (Meat Cleaver), Defense +5 Initiative +3
The Math: Abilities 36+ Skills 11 (Ranks 44) + Feats 34+ Powers 30+ Saves 33+ Combat 10- Drawback 4= 150
Drawback: Normal Identity 4 points (Needs to be surrounded a large number of frightened people, about 12, to transform, takes full-round as his muscles expand and his rage intensifies)

Normal Identity (Lars Peterson) Power Level 2
Str 10 (0) Dex 10 (0) Con 10 (0) Int 16 (+3) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 16 (+3)
Toughness +0 Fortitude +0 Reflex +0 Will +3
Skills Computers 7 (+10), Concentration 7 (+10), Craft (Chemical) 4 (+7), Gather Information 4 (+7), Knowledge (Life Sciences) 7 (+10), Medicine 5 (+8), Notice 7 (+10), Profession 7 (+10)
The Math: Abilities 18+ Skills 12= 30
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Look at Honey Bee's toughness save, it's huge. The way you determine PL is by taking the higher of two averages...
Toughness + Defense
or
Attack Bonus + Damage bonus (or rank of effect)

Sunshine: PL 11 offense, PL 10 defense. Does he actually wield a meat cleaver? Overall, an obvious hulk-type that's going to require a group effort to take down. The only real weaknesses will be against incorporeal and/or invisible players, but that's only in the realm of him getting/stopping them. There's also the drawback here to take into consideration, and I'd hope any player would try to request a use of a hero point for inspiration to reduce him back to his normal identity.

Actually, most of your NPCs are going to pressed to stop invisible/incorporeal opponents except for possibly Honey Bee with her minion bugs that have some kind of non-visual sense or The Nerd with the proper invention. Of course, DM fiat works wonder here for them to use extra effort and slap them down; but make sure you have good flavour text to describe how they're doing anything to them.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I reduced Honey Bee's Toughness save by 10 and replaced it with Paralyze, having the Stinger being part of the costume. I then replaced Stinger not part of the costume with Stun.
Here's her new stat block:

Honey Bee Power Level 8
Toughness +8/+3 (without Bee Costume) Fortitude +8 Reflex +8 Will +7
Powers Animal Control 10 (Flaw: Bugs only), Flight 5, Device 3 (Bee Costume [Protection 5, Paralyze 10{Stinger}], hard to lose), Strike 4 (Power Feat: Mighty), Stun 5
The Math: Abilities 30+ Skills 10 (ranks 40) + Feats 5+ Powers 58+ Combat 20+ Saves 15 =138

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Well then, she's basically a weak-end PL 8 now (+5 attack, rank 10 effect), and still only PL 6 defensively. As long as you're aware of this.

Of course, I'm only commenting on what you've got here. I can only infer what you intend for them to be able to do to your party.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

How much should I boost her Toughness to make her an average PL 8 encounter? +2? +4?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Her toughness needs to be +11 for her to be a PL 8 (Defense 5 + Toughness 11 = 16, average of 8).
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Would +12 be a bit too high?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

That's up to you and how tough you want her to be, but it would probably be appropriate since her offensive capability is on the low side of PL 8. Although a single point isn't a huge deal.

All of your NPCs fit the PLs I describe quite well, since they don't pull many fancy tricks to that would inflate their effective PL (mind controllers can wreak havoc once they get a foothold).
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Let me show you one of my villains. He worked well for my purposes, and survived a long enough period of time against PL 10s, who all found him to be an annoying prick by the time they took him out (there was a mind controller villain working alongside him to keep him in line, especially if anyone tried to use Will saves on him)...

Awesome Guy
PL 8 (123 pp); Initiative +1 (Dex); Defense 15 (12 flat-footed); Spd 30'; Atk +4 (+12 unarmed); SV Tou +6/+11, Fort +8, Ref +1, Will -1; Str 54, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Knowledge (Popular Culture) 4 (+5)
Feats: Dodge Focus 1, Interpose, Luck, Ultimate Save (Toughness)
Powers
Density 12 (Extra: Innate; Flaw: Permanent)
Teleport 8 (Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Short-Range; Power Feat: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Alternate Power [Insubstantial 3])
Strike Aura 5 (Extra: Alternate Save [Fort], Disease; Power Feat: Dynamic Power [Impervious Protection])
Immunity 9 (Environmental Condition [Cold, Heat, Radiation, Heavy Gravity], Radiation Damage)
Trade-Offs: +4 DC/ -4 atk, +3 Tou/-3Def
Background: A late teen who lived most of his time as an ostracized goth in high school. There was an accident while he was running through the woods away from bullies, the memories are indistinct, but he came to with super powers. The rush of such gave him typical responses to the school, but left to join the 'cool' crowd (Meme, Jauhar, & Dead Weight). Of course, as impressionable as he is, he is pretty much Meme's experimental toy and is practically a slave to them.
The source of his powers is that he's basically made of very heavy atoms, so much so that he has a few quantum properties. If he concentrates a bit, he can release some of the containment and release a dose of radiation (strike aura) simply because his atomic structure is so heavy.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I like him, but just one thing: how could he fight against Incorporeal heroes? None of his powers apparently affect incorporeal enemies. A hero with Elemental Control (Water) could use his own density against him by summoning up a flood and drowning him. He still needs to breathe, as he doesn't have Life Support as an Immunity.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1201150512[/unixtime]]I like him, but just one thing: how could he fight against Incorporeal heroes? None of his powers apparently affect incorporeal enemies. A hero with Elemental Control (Water) could use his own density against him by summoning up a flood and drowning him. He still needs to breathe, as he doesn't have Life Support as an Immunity.

Apparently villains don't have to be prepared for all eventualities.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

When you're incorporeal, all of your attacks only affect the incorporeal unless you have the power feat Affect Corporeal, so his weakness is in reverse.

He's also incredibly vulnerable to any kind of trickster type (bluff, feint, etc), and Will/Reflex attacks are vicious.

Villains aren't PCs, so I don't build them to be able to fight everyone, and generally players don't get to build their characters in response to what the villain is about to do anyway.

He's designed to be used in a group, causing collateral damage and running away when the tough gets going (which he'd do against that water using individual). A mook with personality, a nametag, and high enough bonuses to at least affect players.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

You know what's weird, though?

Incorporeality is one of those tools that benefits players more than villains.

Yes, you have to pay more for it to get it to work than someone does to counter it, but the vast majority of villains do not have it so have to use extra effort for the AP; sometimes the DM will use fiat to negate the fatigue level.

The sample adventure(s) in the M&M recommend awarding a hero point to the incorporeal character if this shiz goes down. So it's like they're getting free HP for roleplaying their character? WTF?
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

In M&M, if it looks like a problem, it probably is. An Incorporeal character with an attack that Affects Corporeal is bound for trouble unless you have your villains and minions set up with "Affects Incorporeal."
In addition, Boost gives unnecessary book-keeping by raising the bonuses on your stats, and then you need to re-modify your stats.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It's not just characters with insubstantial, but a character with a heavy trade-off towards Toughness and the invulnerable trait makes it a bad idea to use normal attacks. Being aware of your players' strengths and weaknesses is paramount to designing appropriate villains; Batman just doesn't do as well if his enemies have accurate super-senses beyond sight, and Superman is not someone you use with gumshoe plots/villains.

Boost is more than just book-keeping, but an exceedingly inexpensive source of power points considering the investment, brokenly good in fact if the right extras are chosen.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!