OSSR: Rifts Dimension Book 1: Wormwood

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

People constantly mention Rifts here: we slag it off as being awful, and yet full of things which to a 13 year old (or your average gamer mentality) are awesome. And at least one book has already been reviewed already (Vampire Kingdoms).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Rifts IS awesome.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

if RIFTS worked, it would be amazing. But instead...
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Sometimes awesome just cannot be contained and balanced.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So for the record, Holy Terrors come from another dimension, and their powers work just fine in other worlds. So they're pretty good for Rifts games. For a Wormwood team, I'd suggest a Holy Terror, an Apok, a Wormspeaker (as long as they come with a free giant parasite to ride or a battlebot) and a non-native like a Temporal Raider.

KNIGHTS! Into dreams...

So the knights templar look like knights. But with bigger pauldrons and all kinds of iconography. They're totally paladins. One of the pictures has a robotic backpack thing and a monk haircut, so looks like a Space Marine.

They have several codes of conduct. Almost a whole page of the things. And you need PS and PE of 14+ and you have to have upper class heritage.

Skills... not that special. HtH: Expert which can be upgraded, they can take Boxing and such, and also they get a handful of small bonuses, but one of them is +1 attack per round, score!

They start with armour that's as mighty as 100 MDC (not that great), and a collection of magic and techno weapons.

Hospitallers... some of them wear armour with really stupid looking helmets/masks. Others look kind of cool, in light leather armour, holding pistols and with black crucifix tattoos over their eyes.

They have a slightly smaller set of codes of conduct, and just need ME 15+

Slightly more skills, more bonuses to saves, they don't get the free attack though. They also get their choice of armour up to the amazing 100 MDC full plate, and they get even more weapons than the templar, as well as a bunch of worms of mending, blood worms and a first aid kit. I'd like to point out that this includes syringes and scalpels. WHICH WON'T DO ANY FUCKING GOOD BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PIERCE YOUR MEGA-DAMAGE SKIN.

It then has a section listing commonly found combat squads, as well as a bit on other OCCs/RCCs common to wormwood: Techno-wizard, Shifter, Dragon, Wilderness Scout, HoboVagabond, Knight, Temporal Raider, Temporal Warrior, Temporal Wizard "and the more traditional spell caster (see the wizard in the Palladium Fantasy RPG)".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Rifts is awesome, and terrible, and I'mma make a thread about it.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)