Fire Mage

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: Fire Mages and other things

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1175086046[/unixtime]]Not to harsh on anyones parade man...

But if Frank and K balance their classes to be like casters, then you remove all casters because they are over powered, then you put in Frank and K's classes,

Well, I see a problem.

Well the Fire Mage actually seems like he can theoretically fit with any campaign, as he seems balanced against monsters of a given CR, as opposed to balanced against casters (which transcend the CR system when played well).

Though, PhoneLobster has a point if you plan on including any of the other Frank and K classes, especially the RoW fighter, who (like a spellcaster) cuts through the CR balance paradigm like a hot knife through butter. These classes are clearly balanced by the premise of competing with the ubercasters, as opposed to the monsters

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yeah...

The lvl 12 RoW fighter I posted here a week or two ago was able to deal with monsters possbily as high as CR ... 14 on it's own. Some people said CR 16, but I had only posted my notes on the character up until that point; his AC was a only 30-40 something and his DR wasn't 17/Adamantine (12), - (5); but rather 5/-, since I had gone for a Stealth-based Fighter(-Bomber).
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1175109630[/unixtime]]If you use Races of War, you likely also use the Dungeonomicon, which means you should probably use the Boneblade Reaper retooled to work with the Dungeonomicon Monk.

Yes, I wondered about that...

Thank you for the link, Endovior.

So, you can theoretically play as a Dread Necromancer/Dungeonomicon Monk...

What about the Retooled Warlock from the same page as the fire mage?

I can just imagine the tagline: "The fires of Hell and the powers of darkness come together within my soul."

With some creative mixing and matching between the Revised and Standard Warlock and the Old and New Boneblade Reaper, and of course DM approval, I might be able to make it fly...

the +1 spellcasting bit would increase spheres just as though you had gained a level in the Rev.War. class, and [just like the StanWar] increase your Eldritch Blast damage.

But there aren't that many Necromancy spells on the Spheres list... Hrm. Perhaps a new sphere...
<something clever>
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Which Warlock, mine or Frank's? I'm partial to mine, but I wrote it.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

There's more than one?

I think I'm referring to yours... I found it in the same thread as the Fire Mage...

Where can I find the other one?
<something clever>
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Well, Frank put his in his first post, and mine is further down. Specifically, it's the last one.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

"+1 level of an existing class" is a bad mechanic to use with spheres. In fact, "bad" isn't a strong enough word.

The advantage of a sphere is that it's worth just about the same to anyone at any level. You don't need to add another 'level' of spheres because spheres are already level-appropriate. You just either add a sphere, or don't.

On the other hand, +1 level of a sphere-using class may be worth a sphere, or it may be worth absolutely nothing at all.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

*shrugs* Maybe I'll just go back to playing a fire mage...

I was referring to yours, Cielingcat.

What I meant was, +1 level of spellcasting class would upgrade your sphere access as if you had gained a level in the warlock class. Myabe you don't get a new sphere at that level. Oh well.

And yes, I know sphere spell access scales by character level.

<something clever>
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Aktariel at [unixtime wrote:1175219143[/unixtime]]*shrugs* Maybe I'll just go back to playing a fire mage...

I was referring to yours, Cielingcat.

What I meant was, +1 level of spellcasting class would upgrade your sphere access as if you had gained a level in the warlock class. Myabe you don't get a new sphere at that level. Oh well.

And yes, I know sphere spell access scales by character level.

Wait, are warlock spheres the same as ToF spheres?
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

And while we're talking about the Warlock, and this is purely off-topic, but can you technically get access to Dragon Disciple as a Warlock? 'Cause I wrote up a five-level version of the Dragon Disciple that works (almost), and I want to know if I can make it useful with something other than a sorcerer with a wizard cohort.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Catharz: In this case, yes.

Brob: I have no idea. I don't have my books handy; they're halfway around the world at the moment. :ohwell:

EDIT: What's the range on Searing Light? Is it really five miles?

Speaking of qualifying, how about Fire Mage qualifying for Hellfire Warlock? I think I can justify adding the hellfire damage to any FM fire effects that scale by level... Here's looking at you, fire bolt and fireball.

That seems just nasty. A 15d6 fire [which already overcomes resistance and partly immunity as well] +6d6 hellfire damage at 18th level for 1 point of Con damage.

Although, now that I think about it, that might not be so great after all, since the main benefit of hellfire is that it bypasses resistance and immunity to fire.

Maybe in the 20th level class, he could wind up overcoming even immunity. I can see it now:

The Fires of Hell: You have stoked your inner fire to the point that your fire effects rage with the very heat of hell itself. All of your fire effects now completely overcome all of the target's protections against fire, even complete immunity.

I would really love to have this as a 20 level class...

Where are you, Frank?

<something clever>
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the Fire Mage's abilities are either spell like or extraordinary, and that in turns means that they suffer from no armor check penalty?

Which means I can burn people while wearing full plate?

I mean, talk about tanking. Damn!

And, just for fun, why not be a hellbred [Fiendish Codex II] or a fiend with low level adjustment, and take the mortalbane feat from BoVD? Hell, Fire Mage 15/Mortal Hunter 5 sounds like a great orc killer...

Seriously. Does anyone have any idea what the radius of Searing Light that undead take damage within? Is it honestly everyone within five miles?

And oh yeah, assuming no intervening buildings, what would a reasonable line of sight be to the horizon? Beacuse then you really could Rain of Fire everyone within five miles... damn!
<something clever>
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Searing light is a ranged touch attack spell, so one guy at a time.

You must be talking about some Fire Mage ability that I probably don't recall though.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Does the Fire Mage's fire bolts do 1d6 fire damage per character level or per class level?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1199040449[/unixtime]]Does the Fire Mage's fire bolts do 1d6 fire damage per character level or per class level?

I have a L2 Fire Mage with a custom tiefling/feytouched/faun kind of combination race, and the GM had no problem whatsoever with any of the class abilities.
However, he couldn't figure this out either. Left it undecided unless it becomes a problem... which I guess means "character level".
Since Fire Mage is quite limited in scope, this is probably best. They can't do much else other than deal Fire/typeless damage, why restrict that?

I'll bring it up again next session, as I'm getting a level of Sorcerer or Wizard just to use items and make/use scrolls and the issue will be very relevant.
I suspect it will be the same problem as with multiclass casters missing out, whereas multiclass warriors have less problems due to BAB being present in every other class to some degree.

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Fire Mage tweaks
by Sig

This is a series of 'fixes' as I see fit to the rather incomplete yet fascinating Fire Mage. All abilities are as normal except where mentioned here.

Like a phlegmatic dragon gone wild, a Fire Mage slings and explodes their flames to reach immense proportions of burninating.

The effective spell level for all Fire Mage spell-like abilities is half the Fire Mage's character level rounded up. Saving throw DCs for all abilities are 10 + 1/2 character level + Charisma unless stated otherwise.

Level, Benefit
1 Fire Burst: instead deals 1d6 Fire damage per 2 Fire Mage levels rounded up.
Fire Bolts: each Fire Bolt is a ranged touch attack energy missile (treat as a ranged weapon always equipped) with range category of 30 feet and deals 1d6 Fire damage +3 per Fire Mage level.

2 Hand of Fire: (instead of +1d6, it instead deals an additional 1d4 Fire damage +1 per Fire Mage level.)

3 (no Smokeless Flame), Pyrotechnics (Sp) at will

4 Fire Soul: The Fire Mage, all items they wear, and all items they carry are immune to Fire as well as all damage from their own Fire Mage abilities.

Fireblade: A solid beam-sword of fire and heat may extend from the tip of a Fire Mage's extremity with each natural attack, dealing 1d8 + Fire Mage level in damage with each successful hit. The damage may be Slashing, Piercing, or Fire with each strike (chosen after an attack is successful). The blade's variable maximum reach for each strike is equal to that of a normal longsword +5 feet for every 4 Fire Mage levels past this one.

5 The "full-round action" for Fireball SLA is changed to a standard action. At level 10 using this ability becomes a move action.

6 (no Mindfire), Sorcerous Spark: The character gains spellcasting ability of a Sorcerer 5 levels lower than their Fire Mage level. These virtual Sorcerer levels stack with real Sorcerer levels, but no more total than character level (before other bonus caster levels, such as from feats or items). Spells with the Cold subtype may now not be learned or cast with any of the character's Arcane spell slots.
Wings of Heat (Su):The Fire Mage may manifest the wings of fire-related creatures (namely phoenix, some dragons, angels, and devils) as a full-round action while in their normal form, gaining a fly speed as if by the Fly spell.
The effect may last as long as the Fire Mage is conscious.

7 Kin of Fire (Sp): The Fire Mage may become any Fire-subtype creature of CR equal to or less than their Fire Mage level -2 as by the Alternate Form ability with a 1 round action. (see the MM on Alternate Form details).
The effect may last as long as the Fire Mage is conscious.

8 (no Soul of Cinders), Burning Blood: The Fire Mage becomes immune to Level Drain, Paralysis, Sleep, and Charisma damage.

Aura of Flames (Su): The Fire Mage may be constantly surrounded with a Fire Shield (warm shield only) effect that can be stopped or restarded once each round as a free action. The glow is a warm shade.

9 (no Sculpt Flames), Dragonfire (Sp): As a natural breath weapon emanating from any point on the Fire Mage's body, deal damage as a Red Dragon with twice as many Hit Dice as the character's Fire Mage levels. This breath may be sculpted into a cone out to Fire Mage level x5 feet, a 5 foot wide line out to Fire Mage level x10 feet, or of a shape and duration like that of the Wall of Fire spell. The Reflex save for half is 10 + 1/2 level + CON.

10 (no Fire Shield), Orb of Fire (Su): As a standard action, the Fire Mage may create and throw a massive ball of fire (1 foot diameter per Fire Mage level) sealed in a weak layer of force at one target (or more if adjacent), dealing 1d6 +4 per Fire Mage level upon impact to the first target(s) caught in the orb's area. Targets struck by the initial impact must make a Fortitude save or become Dazed for one round. The orb also bursts if an amount of damage is dealt to it equal to the spell's maximum damage. The range category for this thrown attack is 100 feet and splash effect creates a nonmagical burst equal to that of a Fireball dealing an additional damage of 1d6 per Fire Mage level. In addition, targets that failed the save for both orb and Fireball effects are Stunned for 1 round instead of Dazed.

11 (no Beacon or Firewalk) Fire Stride (instead treat as Tree Stride spell but enter and exit points remain the same as Firewalk, may cross into adjacent planes)

12 (no Bonds of Fire), Firaga (Sp): As a full-round action, create an explosion of fire that appears suddenly in a remote point in space. Cast as an Widened Enlarged Maximized Delayed Blast Fireball that deals an additional 2 Force damage per Fire Mage level, and all enemies failing their Reflex saves are ejected as far to outside of the area as possible from the center and then knocked prone. You may change this ability to require a Fortitude save whenever desired.

14 (no Searing Light or Ray of Light), Pyrogenesis (Sp): The Fire Mage may cast Greater Teleport, but at both points of exit and entry a Maximized Fireball spell is automatically cast centered on the Fire Mage's location. They may also use this ability to Planeshift as the spell to any source of fire on any plane, absorbing that fire at the end of the round. If using Pyrogenesis into a being with the Fire subtype, that being must be willing; they are not harmed but they do switch places with the Fire Mage.

15 Rain of Fire: (limited to 500 foot range per Fire Mage level, and a total number of 100 foot cubes equal to Fire Mage level, a 50 foot wide line out to the spell's reach, or one giant burst with radius of 500 feet)

Reality Burned Away (Ex): If the Fire Mage has died and returned to life, they gain a constant True Sight effect.

16 Starblade (su): A solid beam-sword of white fire and brilliance may extend from the tip of a Fire Mage extremity and strike as a standard action, causing a Destruction effect as the spell upon the first successful hit each round (with a Reflex save for half damage against the Destruction effect's damage). The damage taken on a successful save is Fire damage. The maximum reach of this weapon is 5 feet per 2 Fire Mage levels rounded down.

17 Meteor Bombs (Sp): The Fire Mage may cast Widened Enlarged Maximized Empowered Meteor Swarms as attack actions. Any target hit by these attacks is propelled away from the Fire Mage to the limit of the spell's range, or as obstacles allow, on a failed Reflex save.

18 Phoenix Soul (Sp): The Fire Mage gains Fast Healing 5 while touching burning living matter that is harmed by fire.
Once every 24 hours upon death the Fire Mage may reincarnate themselves as by True Resurrection within any fire large enough to fit their body, without loss of level or need for Wish or Miracle, and breaking free of any imprisonment your soul may have endured. This recreation of form destroys the original corpse if any and consumes the fire, also snuffing all nonmagical fires within 100 mile radius from the point of return.
The Fire Mage may also cast Heal or Resurrection by absorbing any size Gargantuan fire of at least 100 foot radius area of burning living matter as a 1 minute action.

19 Suncrow Soul (Su): The Fire Mage may take the form of a Fire-subtype Half-Dragon and either Half-Celestial or Half-Fiend Roc as by a Polymorph effect, gaining all creature abilities and attacks in addition to your own (but also retaining your own mental ability scores). The Roc form may also be of any size from Fine to Gargantuan, and also any varying combination of features with those of the Fire Mage but ability scores to not change due to size. Choose your shape anywhere between normal for your race and the Roc's at the beginning of each round as a free action. For instance, you may become something like a generally humanoid bipedal Griffon, gaining all benefits of the Roc while in humanoid shape and wearing humanoid items.

20 Seraph Soul (Ex): The Fire Mage's natural form becomes that of a Large Outsider (native to your home plane, augmented subtype of your original type), immortal, immune to Blindness, Death, Lightning, Petrification, Poison, Light, and Shadow effects, and gains a +5 Inherent bonus to all ability scores.
You gain 6 wings that grant a fly speed of 60 feet for every 2 wings used, or for every 2 wings held open (not used to fly) create either a constant Sunburst, Dimensional Lock, Repulsion, Freedom, Disjunction, Magic Circle Against (any alignment not of your own), Greater Spell Immunity, Rage, or Calm Emotions supernatural spell effect out to 120 foot radius, chosen once each round for each pair of wings; you can only take move actions while at least 2 wings are revealed in this manner and duplicate effects do not overlap. You may change back to or from your original form at any time once each round as by the Change Shape ability, but your type remains Outsider and changing back into your Outsider form requires 1 minute of concentration.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Phlogistonic dragon, man. Phlogistonic.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

A lot of that last ability doesn't even make sense. How do you radiate an aura of freedom or disjunction? Those are instantaneous effects. It's also rather difficult to read.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

For the most part it looks cool, except...

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1200524148[/unixtime]]
Firaga (Sp):

I will kill you while you sleep.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

CatharzGodfoot at [unixtime wrote:1200528454[/unixtime]]Phlogistonic dragon, man. Phlogistonic.

Nope, no mistake there. Phlegmy. You know, hack hack cough cough, fire everywhere?

Surgo: Radiating instant effects would occur at the beginning of each round.
How could this become easier to read?

Koumei: I sleep lightly and fitfully, but really, I would love the challenge of a girl sneaking into my room to kill me creatively.
Otherwise, do you think it's a good replacement for Explosive Spell MM? I left out any mention that pushing opponents causes extra damage, cuz it doesn't here; it just moves and makes prone.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Um. phlegmatic means unemotional, apparently.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1200605069[/unixtime]]Um. phlegmatic means unemotional, apparently.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... ][br]First definition. Nice try though.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Isn't that an archaic or rarely-used definition?

[edit]Although, given that D&D uses the classical elements, the doctrine of humors ought not to be entirely unexpected.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The ability itself can stay the same. It's just the name which is the problem.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1200610229[/unixtime]]
Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1200605069[/unixtime]]Um. phlegmatic means unemotional, apparently.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... ][br]First definition. Nice try though.

www.merriam-webster.com wrote:

Code: Select all

[br]Main Entry:[br]    phlegm Listen to the pronunciation of phlegm[br]Pronunciation:[br]    \&#712;flem\ [br]Function:[br]    noun [br]Etymology:[br]    Middle English fleume, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin phlegmat-, phlegma, from Greek, flame, inflammation, phlegm, from phlegein to burn — more at black[br]Date:[br]    13th century[br][br]1: the one of the four humors in early physiology that was considered to be cold and moist and to cause sluggishness2: viscid mucus secreted in abnormal quantity in the respiratory passages3 a: dull or apathetic coldness or indifference b: intrepid coolness or calm fortitude[br]— phlegmy Listen to the pronunciation of phlegmy \&#712;fle-m&#275;\ adjective[br]

Code: Select all

[br]Main Entry:[br]    phlo·gis·ton Listen to the pronunciation of phlogiston[br]Pronunciation:[br]    \-t&#601;n\ [br]Function:[br]    noun [br]Etymology:[br]    New Latin, from Greek, neuter of phlogistos inflammable, from phlogizein to set on fire, from phlog-, phlox flame, from phlegein[br]Date:[br]    1733[br][br]: the hypothetical principle of fire regarded formerly as a material substance[br]

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack