OSSR: The book of VD

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Kocrachon was one of the worst examples of CR abuse when it came out. It's CR 6 and has blasphemy once per day. If you're a 6th level party, that no-save paralyzes the entire party for 1d10 minutes. Just to drive the point home, the creature is described as preferentially fighting with its spell-likes and then torture murdering people who are helpless.

It's not any better in the 3.5 revision, the blasphemy goes off at caster level 12, so you're still auto-killed unless you're 8th level or higher.

-Username17
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Ghargatulas are boring, big stupid monsters
I misread that as Gargantula at first. I was most disappoint that it wasn't a giant spider demon. But it did make me want to run a scenario where a Colossal Monstrous Spider attacks the city called Attack of the Gargantula!
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Xaos
NPC

Post by Xaos »

Starmaker wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm sure there's already some way to determine bestiality that's clearer:
*pic*
Yeah, I'm using the ponified version. Rarity's sexier
It bothers me that someone shopped in Rarity but did not fix the typo. Here's an improved version.
Um...SHOPPED IN?

I'm pretty sure that's a typo.

Just sayin'
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Xaos wrote:Um...SHOPPED IN?
Just sayin'
No, it isn't.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

FrankTrollman wrote:The Kocrachon was one of the worst examples of CR abuse when it came out. It's CR 6 and has blasphemy once per day. If you're a 6th level party, that no-save paralyzes the entire party for 1d10 minutes. Just to drive the point home, the creature is described as preferentially fighting with its spell-likes and then torture murdering people who are helpless.

It's not any better in the 3.5 revision, the blasphemy goes off at caster level 12, so you're still auto-killed unless you're 8th level or higher.

-Username17
How the hell did nobody notice that before the book came out?
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Why would anyone? There's no playtest for it to come up in, and "thinking really hard" isn't actually a good detection method.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

I'm sad and disappointed that you went over the magic items chapter and didn't mention the nipple clamp of exquisite pain.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

nockermensch wrote:I'm sad and disappointed that you went over the magic items chapter and didn't mention the nipple clamp of exquisite pain.
I forgot about those. They had some interesting implications, but they were crazy expensive.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

They had interesting implications and were crazy expensive for, pretty much, the same reason- they didn't use slots. You could seriously have three or four tongue studs of hellsbreath, and wearing a flesh ring of scorn doesn't preclude nipple clamps of exquisite pain or piercing needles of pain.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
This chapter introduces the "corrupt" spells. These spells are available to any prepared spellcaster, because fuck you for playing a sorcerer. They have a drawback: typically some form of ability damage (with special cases mentioned). Also are new spell components: fiend, devil, demon and undead. To cast those spells you have to be a fiend or an undead. This was actually a pretty neat idea that they really should have expanded (and the most logical powergaming answer actually makes an interesting story; the wizard that in his quest to learn the secret magics of dragons/undead/demons/abberations/your mum had to become one to learn it. Another wasted opportunity...) Other spells require a trapped soul, or requires you to be suffering from a certain disease or high on some sort of drug. I find that an interesting take on components.
It would be nice is that was how they worked.
See you need to qualify every spell component: thus you need to be Undead and Fiend to cast some spells (Lichfiend?).
Page 83 makes no exceptions.
The Authors didn't think things through.

Without that issue, the spells can be neat.
Xaos
NPC

Post by Xaos »

Starmaker wrote:
Xaos wrote:Um...SHOPPED IN?
Just sayin'
No, it isn't.
Oh. Photoshop.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Shouldn't that Count/Starmaker exchange be going in the WoD threads?

:awesome:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.