Samurai With Natural Ancestral Weapons?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Samurai With Natural Ancestral Weapons?

Post by Aktariel »

Could a RoW samurai that came from, oh, say, a githzerai culture designate "his hands" or "his body" as his Ancestral Weapon?

And... if he did, when he killed someone, and the enemy's soul went into his body... would he be consuming the soul? And if he had the Fiend soul consumption feats... would they trigger?

Does anyone really care?
<something clever>
K
King

Re: Samurai With Natural Ancestral Weapons?

Post by K »

Aktariel at [unixtime wrote:1203110346[/unixtime]]Could a RoW samurai that came from, oh, say, a githzerai culture designate "his hands" or "his body" as his Ancestral Weapon?

And... if he did, when he killed someone, and the enemy's soul went into his body... would he be consuming the soul? And if he had the Fiend soul consumption feats... would they trigger?

Does anyone really care?

In order:

Yes.

No, it'd just be stored until he was killed and they were released (See Mortal Combat movie for a good example).

In this specific case, I'd allow it. Frank might have a different opinion.

Sure, when I'm not too busy with law school.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification.

So... even if he used the "soul eating" feats, the soul that he ingested still wouldn't be consumed? I mean, the power to heal yourself ought to come from somewhere?

Also... if they are released when he was killed, but he had the Memory of Death feat... he'd still remember everything from all of the souls he had consumed. Plus, if he came back to life... he'd have lost all his souls. Depending on how badass you are, it might be more or less likely that you died rather than having your weapon sundered.

Also... does he now have hardness?
<something clever>
K
King

Post by K »

Aktariel at [unixtime wrote:1203111494[/unixtime]]Sweet. Thanks for the clarification.

So... even if he used the "soul eating" feats, the soul that he ingested still wouldn't be consumed? I mean, the power to heal yourself ought to come from somewhere?

Also... if they are released when he was killed, but he had the Memory of Death feat... he'd still remember everything from all of the souls he had consumed. Plus, if he came back to life... he'd have lost all his souls. Depending on how badass you are, it might be more or less likely that you died rather than having your weapon sundered.

Also... does he now have hardness?

Sorry, I was being confusing.

If he has the Soul Eating feats, then he'd eat them. Otherwise, he'd store them until killed.

You'd have hardness only if someone was using some sort "hand choppy" special attack. Back in the day that was Swords of Sharpness, but I'd assume that there are more out there despite 3.x's abandonment of the SoS.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Would you mind clarifying that last bit? You mean, he would only have hardness if someone specifically targeted his hands during a sunder attempt?

Also... what are Sword of Sharpness?
<something clever>
K
King

Post by K »

Swords of Sharpness are an old DnD weapon that used to chop people's arms off.

D20 has mostly abandoned the idea that an attack might cripple a character, but if you look hard enough there are still ways to injure or remove people's hands or arms. So, if one of those events happened, your Samurai fists or feet would have hardness apply.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

2e (and before) used to have two levels of Swords of Chopping Bits Off You. The Sword of Sharpness, which chopped limbs off, and the Vorpal Sword, which chopped heads off (and acted as Sharpness if the target had no head, as I recall)

I theorise that in 3.x Keen might be the mutant descendant of Sharpness.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

*ding*
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

K at [unixtime wrote:1203110930[/unixtime]]

So June of 2010 then?
K
King

Post by K »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1203321472[/unixtime]]
K at [unixtime wrote:1203110930[/unixtime]]

So June of 2010 then?

Right..