Post-Apocalypse Flavour

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post-Apocalypse Flavour

Post by virgil »

What do you prefer in your Post Apocalypse RPG? Fantasy such as Dark Sun or Sci-Fi like Fallout? Do you want kitchen sink, such as Rifts? Do you want to crawl through the ruins, or is the pre-Fall civilization effectively lost in both ruin and memory? Do you want the pre-Fall world to be based on RL, so you can see the Statue of Liberty in the background? Or do you prefer the pre-Fall to be fictional, such as having it be on Toril or Middle-Earth?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Any of the above.

I am not particularly helpful on questions of taste, as I have none.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

The STALKER pc game has the most exciting post-acpoalyptic setting Ive ever seen.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I enjoy all manners of Post Apocalyptic types, though Fallout & Zombie Apocalypse's are my two favorites, I've been exposed more to that, than Dark Sun, or Ravenloft.

Latest Post Apocalypse games I have played equal it out, State of Decay and NIER, being Zombie Apocalypse and Apocalypse turned Fantasy-esque world. I like the former games currency being based on Reputation or "Influence", and wonder on the merit of such an idea in a Tabletop RPG.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Aryxbez, I know its not exactly what you want, but I remember vaguely that Eclipse Phase had a post-scarcity, reputation-based, economy.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i would guess there would need to be remnants of the old world . .
otherwise, if there are not hints about the world having gont to the crapper, does it really count as post apocalyptic, if nobody remembers what was before? if there are no hints as to it having ever been different, then that's not post apoc but the way it's always been right?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Stahlseele wrote:i would guess there would need to be remnants of the old world . .
otherwise, if there are not hints about the world having gont to the crapper, does it really count as post apocalyptic, if nobody remembers what was before? if there are no hints as to it having ever been different, then that's not post apoc but the way it's always been right?
I meant more for the kind of story where the ruins & survivors are far enough from the pre-Fall civilization to not be able to make references to cultural touchstones; "setting-neutral", as it were.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, i see.
Well, i prefer Sci-Fi.
Fallout is a big Yes in my book.
I guess it depends on how long ago you had your apocalypse, how it was carried out and how people dealt with it . .
After Earth, that one Movie with Will Smith and his son?
People from Earth evacuated and it turned back into a natural jungle world over the course of several thousand years.
Fallout is only 100 Years after the Apocalypse and the People did not leave earth but hunkered down in Bunkers.
Both of these are SciFi, but they are both completely different.
I like to make connections to the old World. Find Los-Tech, try and rediscover it . .

Look up the old animated Series: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillacs_ ... TV_series)
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

If we're talking about non-interactive fiction I'm game for just about anything, but from a pure tabletop game standpoint, I don't like it when people go overboard and have virtually nothing be available in abundance. I say that because ultimately I don't think most groups or systems do gritty survivalism and non-abstracted resources very well. So, while I'm hardly what you'd call a zompocalypse fan, I do think the notion of some sort of recent disease based disaster that ultimately results in a small number of people with a large amount of guns and vehicles has some potential.
bears fall, everyone dies
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

It depends on your definition of post-apocalypse. Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, and Eclipse Phase fit the bill but they aren't defined by Mad Max post-nuclear hellscapes (well Earth is Terminator-land in EP but the colonies are pretty diverse). That said, I do like Dark Sun, as it's a nice departure from the typical Tolkien-influenced high fantasy, and Paranoia for its dark humor.

For sci-fi, which is my genre of choice, I prefer apocalypses that are economic rather than WMD.

EDIT
Last edited by Wesley Street on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

I like a return to a "dark age", with technology as almost a form of arcana (like Frank's old idea that "steelmaking is magic"). People know that tech exists, but it needs to be dug out of the ruins of the ancients, and is treated as mysterious; people who can actually repair it are like wizards. Something like Gamma World, or the works of Donald McQuinn.

I also like a fallen earth setting, so that there can be references to past ages, often badly garbled into legends and folklore.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar