Why do I keep doing this to myself?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Talisman
Duke

Re: Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Post by Talisman »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1204261240[/unixtime]]half-orcs are gone. Because no one gets raped in D&D.

Half-orcs are gone from the PHB; however, they'll be presented digitally! Yay, Digital Initiative!

Since I plan to ignore DI, this makes them effectively gone for me. Glass half full, I guess.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Considering its $120 per year if you take the best pricing option, you would be right to ignore the DI shit. Especially since it doesn't look like they're capable of supporting it.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Do you know what I get for $10 more than the DI plan? World of Warcraft.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Half-orcs may show up in a future PHB.

Also, why in the nine hells are bows range so shitty?

I love how they say "more options not restrictions" yet most of the options don't seem that good. Everyone has a shit load of restrictions. Apparently I must have my class stamped on my forehead and pretty much be a bloody characticture of my concept. Multi-classing seem like it will most likely be ass.

Why run? You can just move and then charge, since you cover more ground that way.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Harlune
Apprentice

Post by Harlune »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1204261240[/unixtime]]half-orcs are gone. Because no one gets raped in D&D.

Why we can't just have one bloody non-evil Orc race so we can have them as a pc race AND finally have a non rapey-time source of half-orcs is beyond me.

I'm kinda positive about the Cha boosting will saves thing. It's about time the stat had an actual concrete benefit besides a poorly written diplomancy system and being the caster stat for classes the Devs hate.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

The sad thing is, the only upside I can find is that the warlock and fighter don't look like complete wastes of space. Except for the rituals thing (which will be huge at later levels- teleport, rez and scry have been mentioned as rituals), everyone is largely playing the same game. I suspect class training will be necessary to pick up the ability to use rituals. And that cleric power which allows you to heal as a minor action.

Which means if you aren't, in some way, a cleric/wizard/warlock/fighter (or some other class combination of all 4 roles), your character is going to suck. Or maybe you can leave out wizard. Its all damage and cantrips, other than sleep, which is kinda meh, Sleep = slow? Unless it misses the first 10+ save, its unconscious until it makes the next 10+ save. So they really mean controller = area damage.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

/note: because you get Combat Advantage from all kinds of crazy crap and it doesn't stack, the penalties for running may or may not apply. Once you get dazed or your opponent becomes invisible you may as well start running because you don't lose anything more.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Re: half-orcs

the best solution I've found is to rename them "orcs" and make them a pureblooded PC race. the Monster manual orcs are ubalanced crap that can fuck right off.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Most abilities don't seem to scale, if that is the case then it will be a crap load abilities that would not even be used after a while.

More YouTube on the "Experience"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kt3W_u9xmPA[ ... w0DMw96UH0
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

After looking at all the character sheets it appears that most class abilities are either tied to effects that boost damage or add super fun 'dodge' style bonuses (ie small bonuses that last one round and require other people to keep track of). Hell, the Cleric is damn-near a 'dodge' bonus granting machine.

If leaders are based around 'dodge' bonus effects, I'm guessing few will have the patience to play them. Heck, can you imagine a party of Clerics? A party of Clerics that are mid or high level? It looks like it could be a bookkeeping nightmare.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The goal of getting everything on the same page is a laudable one. It's the primary selling point of 3rd edition.

But they aren't going about it in a way that I respect. The new Rogue is literally just two characters. One is the Raphael from the original comics, and the other is the Raphael from the children's cartoon.

Everyone using the same rules is good. Everyone playing the same characters is bad.

-Username17
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1204269039[/unixtime]]Most abilities don't seem to scale, if that is the case then it will be a crap load abilities that would not even be used after a while.

Supposedly the base weapon damage itself will scale (or there will be level based bonuses) whatever, but they aren't showing the formulas off in the sample games- just the results. So the damage will scale gradually like everything else. (until it gets multiplied, and then it goes bang). Unless of course the video clips say otherwise. I can't be asked to watch them whitter on about nothing, however, so I'll wait for someone to summarize or write up a damn transcript.

I'd say there were two classes- people that do damage, and people who did a bit less damage, but you have to have because they heal. Choose a predefined flavor, and suffer. But yeah, the implementation is questionable at best. Rantworthy if the final product looks as bad as the preview material.

Interestingly enough, the fighter's marking ability is an utter failure. Hurrah, -2 to attack. If the target attacks the wizard, cleric or warlock, he is *still* more likely to hit, because the fighter's AC is more than 2 higher, and he's more likely to take those characters down since they have fewer hit points.
The paladin is ability is a bit better, because at least he's taking damage, and that might kill the target before he kills your buddy.

Anyone notice all the fucking ways to move or move others?
Basic move, push, shift, slide, teleport, (fly)? It seems excessive. I'm not entirely clear on the middle three. Shift avoids AoOs (or 'opportunity attacks' now), but push and slide? Why distinguish?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1204242944[/unixtime]]I need a vomiting smiley. :disgusted: just isn't enough.

You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1204261701[/unixtime]]Considering its $120 per year if you take the best pricing option, you would be right to ignore the DI shit. Especially since it doesn't look like they're capable of supporting it.

Have they released pricing finally? Do you have a link for it?
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Best I can do is this:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... bscription Pricing

One month: $14.95
Three month: $12.95/mo
12 Months: $9.95/mo[/quote]

Best option you can get is to sign up one month every year and download everything you don't have.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

And the bog standard kobold-
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... [br][br]is really fucking tough!

27 hps
attack at +6 and d8 damage +d6 if it has combat advantage
+1 to its attack for each kobold adjacent to the target!

Everybody's fucking super, including the weenies!
The PCs just have more attack options.

And by fucking tough, I mean you have to use a daily power and roll really high on the damage or crit to fucking one-shot a goddamn kobold.

I fully expect that housecats will have around 12 hit points.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Whoever thought that all Human-Orc sex is non-consensual?
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

The Wizards developers. The actually said that they were "very uncomfortable with the implied origins of the half-orc" and that was the main reason it was being left out of the PH.

Of course, they didn't respond to the reminder that the most prominent D&D half-elf (Tanis, from dragonlance) was also the product of rape.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Wait a minute, I just saw something on the kobold, an ability called "shifty". Does this mean they completely removed 5'-steps?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I get the distinct feeling that wizards pays no attention to it's own forums, as a casual glance at the mature boards would tell them plenty of people want to get freaky with half orcs.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1204311386[/unixtime]]Best I can do is this:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... bscription Pricing

One month: $14.95
Three month: $12.95/mo
12 Months: $9.95/mo

Best option you can get is to sign up one month every year and download everything you don't have. [/quote]

Thanks much, Voss. I'll give it a look later - my employer blocks ENWorld...
You can't fix stupid.

Imban
Apprentice

Post by Imban »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1204325157[/unixtime]]Wait a minute, I just saw something on the kobold, an ability called "shifty". Does this mean they completely removed 5'-steps?

No, they're move actions now. Kobolds can 5' step and then double move if they're so inclined.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1204312160[/unixtime]]And the bog standard kobold-
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... [br][br]is really fucking tough!

27 hps
attack at +6 and d8 damage +d6 if it has combat advantage
+1 to its attack for each kobold adjacent to the target!

Everybody's fucking super, including the weenies!
The PCs just have more attack options.

wtf is that shit? 27 hit points for a fucking kobold.

A. fucking. kobold. with. 27. hit points.

If I don't post here again, it's because my head has just exploded from reading that.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

So how many hit points will a commoner have?

So weapons can be used at will...not shit.

virgileso, 5 foot steps (now called a shift) is still in the game, it just that it is a move action. Except if you have the "shifty" ability which makes it a minor action to do instead.

At least trap sense isn't worth less now.
]
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Prak: knowing said forum is blocked should tell you that a large part of the audience doesn't even have permission to read on rape-related issues. Also, even if the 4E design was perfect, just heeding the retards of the Manure forum on flavor concerns would make me drop it.

But of course, the point stands on both not every half-orc being a rape product, and on Tanis seemingly haven't done anything to half-elven reputation. I think the real answer is ultimately "orcs are neither pretty nor emo".
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.