My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The RPG?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

so, races.

(disclaimer, I have yet to watch this show, so my knowledge is basically just talking to a friend that watches it).

So there are three pony races, earth, pegasus and unicorns, and possibly a few non-pony races (dragon hatchlings? gryphons?)

Earth ponies are like being human, nothing special, but without disadvantages of other races (like they're stronger than unicorns). Unicorns have telekinesis, and one spell like ability, with the ability to learn more, and possibly a wizard class to learn pretty much everything. Pegasi have the advantage of flight, obviously, apparently a low stamina, and I would say a heightened personal capability (Rainbow Dash's speed, Scootaloo's agility, Fluttershy's charisma, etc.).

So I'd basically just literally use human stats for earth ponies (or regular pony stats from MM and raise int to 10), then -2 str and a spell like from a list for unicorns, maybe with a +2 int, and -2 con, maybe +2 cha, and a heightened stat from a list for pegasi.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Lauren Faust wrote:While not magical like the other pony types, Earth Ponies do have a connection to the land that other types do not. In Equestria, growing food and tending animals (Fluttershy's talent with animals is unusual for a pegasus, I always imagined she feels more at home on the ground than in the sky) is just as necessary, as managing weather and magic. Perhaps more important, don't you think?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so earth ponies have more subtle magic that is steroids for plants and animals?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Outside of the Evergreen Forest, it's arguable that they're more fundamental than steroids. Trees can't grow, animals can't reproduce, and other things can't happen without their magic; much like how Princess Celestia is necessary for the sun to rise and set. I'm sure if they put their minds to it, they could make it full on steroids compared to normal, as evidenced by the hollowed out tree houses that are still alive.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so earth ponies basically get a choice between an Overgrowth or Magic Fang (or the like) spell like ability, possibly functioning continuously in an area around them?

Oh, actually, how about Earth Ponies getting woodwarp/shape for any plant matter or the +4 stat boost spells?

edit: I want to include other races, but it seems like everything that isn't a pony is a douchbag....
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Prak_Anima wrote:(disclaimer, I have yet to watch this show, so my knowledge is basically just talking to a friend that watches it).
The series can be found on Youtube, and I gave a good starting episode on the previous page.
Prak_Anima wrote:edit: I want to include other races, but it seems like everything that isn't a pony is a douchbag....
Spike would like a word with you.

(Oh, there's a wiki, too.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so, seriously, what system does this want to be, because I'm totally ready to pound stuff out.

We could do d20 or a variant like M&M (though honestly, both are probably more complicated than desired or needed). Maybe an After Sundown Skill+Attribute(+Equipment) v TN?

Sure, why the hell not, it can already handle social conflict and physical conflict well enough. A number of things will need to be built from the ground up anyway, so it's not like using d20 saves a lot of work.

Friendship is Magic, Your Reward is Clothes
Money is only vaguely nodded to, and gems are more commonly food or decor than wealth. On the other hand, ponies are regularly rewarded with something much more useful, friends. That's right, when you complete an adventure, or defeat an enemy, you don't loot the bodies, you gain a new friend. This may seem useless, but remember that one of the themes of MLP is loyalty and helping those in need. When you have completed an adventure, or overcome an opponent, you've at least earned a favour, and usually won a friend who will come to your aid when you're in need. Typically ponies have fairly niche skills, so it can be very helpful to befriend someone whose talent is something no one in your party can do.
The other notable reward is wearables, whether the elements of friendship, or the clothes awarded in the MLP web game. These clothes bring prestige, notoriety and, occasionally, actual abilities. A nice side effect of this situation is that greyhawking a dungeon will happen exceedingly rarely.

Playable Types
So, obviously the core type is Pony, with three subtypes, Earth, Pegasus, and Unicorn. Earth ponies encourage the growth of animals and plants by their simple presence, and can possibly shape the same with concentrated effort. Pegasi control weather, can fly, tread on clouds, and have a single enhanced trait (speed, agility, charisma, etc.). Unicorns have unique magics, anything from detecting gems to prestidigitation and illusions, to teleportation, as well as telekinesis, which they typically use for relatively mundane purposes.

The world certainly seems to hold other sentient races that might be playable, though. Zebra may have an enhanced focus on plants, sensing and knowing a great deal about them, along with a better than average dexterity. Buffalo are a tribal race, but I don't see much about the species in the wiki. Dragons are typically voiceless kaiju, and many of Spike's peculiarities may be due to his status as Twilight's assistant, but I don't see that as a reason to not include them, since a lot of people would love to play a dragon. Finally, as far as I can tell, only one gryphon appears so far, but they're sentient, and not even particularly ostracized, except for Gilda being a bitch.

So I'm thinking it winds up looking something like this:
Ponies
  • Earth
  • Unicorn
  • Pegasus
Chimera
  • Gryphon
  • Manticore (yes, I know, but I think there need to be a few more)
  • Something else that's a hybrid of multiple "normal" creatures. Hippogryph would be amusing
Dragons
(three types, possibly land, sea, and sky if we decide that sea serpent is close enough to dragon)

(Non-pony animals)
  • Zebra
  • Buffalo
  • Diamon Dog
More would be nice, I think, but I'm not sure how many are necessary, and what else should get included.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

NoDot wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:(disclaimer, I have yet to watch this show, so my knowledge is basically just talking to a friend that watches it).
The series can be found on Youtube, and I gave a good starting episode on the previous page.
Prak_Anima wrote:edit: I want to include other races, but it seems like everything that isn't a pony is a douchbag....
Spike would like a word with you.

(Oh, there's a wiki, too.)
I've been using the wiki. Spike has his moments of slight dickishness too.

NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Prak_Anima wrote:Spike has his moments of slight dickishness too.
Not more than everypony else.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

NoDot wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Spike has his moments of slight dickishness too.
Not more than everypony else.
Hm, true, but that could be due to basically being raised by ponies. The show makes just about everything else a jerkass antagonist.

Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

FrankTrollman wrote:From what I understand, almost every adventure involves ponies talking at enemies until they give up. Is that correct?
Not for long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlnZxvi37s
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, cool. That really helps the game.

So, from what I've seen, everyone has a flaw, which is probably pretty similar to the AWOD master passions, though more individualized. For example, Twilight's is probably Anger, Spike's hunger or greed, Pinkie Pie's Despair, etc.

Also, what character types would people like to see? I could bullshit a few more types, but what's desired?

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I have MLP on the list.

But is there room so that this girl's dreams can also be made part of this rpg?

Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:I have MLP on the list.

But is there room so that this girl's dreams can also be made part of this rpg?

Strictly speaking, yes. Because Hasbro owns the toy license for Star Wars, and thus, technically, MLP occupies a universe with Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe, etc.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

If we were to do this as d20, I think that'd replace the standard alignments...[/spoiler]

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/

Described as Hayao Miyazaki's Oregon Trail, the rules haven't been released in English yet. I'm fascinated by the idea that the DM actually gains XP and gains abilities with level. Resolution seems simple; you only have ability scores represented as dice, and you roll two together (d4 to d10) against a DC (might be fixed at 7) when asked to do stuff.

The whole thing holds promise in being an easy conversion to MLP because of the slice-of-life + journey genre.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

Possibly relevant to discussion.

MLP: Friendship is Dungeons & Dragons - MLP and D&D archetypes, and
Unknown Ponies: Failure is Awesome - an MLP RPG using the Unknown Armies system.

Both by Erin Palette.
Last edited by bosssmiley on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

This could be relevant and a fun read as well:
http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseri ... ics/first/
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

While we're all posting random PRPGs, here's Pony Tales, featuring bounded skills, Final Fantasy combat lines, and 100% attack accuracy. Remember to get your cutie mark in "Is Batman".

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LaH ... qDazQ/edit
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

FATE doesn't distinguish between physical, social, or mental. Conflict is conflict and it's all handled under the same mechanics (with separate social and mental stress/HP bars too).

Also, FATE's Aspects mean a character can choose to "weaponize" every single talent during a conflict no matter how apparently trivial as long as it can be justified (which is why FATE isn't recommended in tables where you don't have unanimous support of the social contract, buyer beware).

You can easily tailor a hack using Legends of Anglerre if you want to keep things simple. If you prefer to keep to a d20-ish comfort zone, however, you might prefer Strands of FATE which is rather "FATE as written by a d20 fan."
Last edited by Dogbert on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Yeah, if you just want Ponies fucking their way through 18th century Bavaria solving problems by talking and tricks and friendship, FATE Accelerated Edition is even more freeform personality based play. We're talking one step removed from Amber Diceless here. There's even a single stress track and consequences that you can fill without violence.

Watch out for one-approach wonders, which the book gives you no real way to handle.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Mask_De_H wrote:Yeah, if you just want Ponies fucking their way through 18th century Bavaria solving problems by talking and tricks and friendship, FATE Accelerated Edition is even more freeform personality based play. We're talking one step removed from Amber Diceless here. There's even a single stress track and consequences that you can fill without violence.

Watch out for one-approach wonders, which the book gives you no real way to handle.
Yeah, you could have one player put all their resources into "magic" and the requisite knowledges, while another player spread their points across animal husbandry and sewing and modeling and things like that...
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Er, it's more you can explain one character's stat special effects as "magic" and one character's stat special effects as "animal husbandry". You use the same six stats for every character.

Stunts and Aspects are where you get the "Is Batman"/"my effects have better phlebotinum than yours", but since this is pony that is narratively less of a concern.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

What kind of world is this where Hasbro makes an MLP RPG, but NOT one for Transformers?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee