Classic Dungeon Crawl Monsters and Traps

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

...You Lost Me
Duke

Classic Dungeon Crawl Monsters and Traps

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I'm trying to write out a joking parody of "old school" dungeon crawls, complete with instadeath traps, encounter tables, and designated mapmakers.

What dungeon encounters should I include? Iconic or wacky, it'll all go in.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

"It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

The Book of Oafish Might has some stuff you can add.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/28881/The ... Might?it=1

Also the Dread Gazebo, you can find the stats in the pdf "Bride of the Portable Hole".
Last edited by Leress on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Random encounter with a gazebo.

Game On,
fbmf
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

"You all meet in an inn."
Bandits in the woods on the way to the dungeon.
10' by 10' room with an orc guarding a chest.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Classical spiked pit trap.

Or even cheesier, a simple 10-foot wide gaping pit in a corridor.

"Herp derp roll Jump check."
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

As far as Dick Moves go, in addition to traps and monsters you can include these elements in your adventure design:

[*] Mary Sues
[*] As any Morton's Forks as possible. You know the classic ones: Baby orcs, orphans begging you for money right outside the magic shop, so on.
[*] If the heroes finagle their way out of the first one, then have Chrono Cross-style plot twists. You know, stuff like 'you retrieved the antidote reagents from the hydra, but since it was enchanted to be the guardian of the swamp the swamp immediately becomes all poisonous and the dwarves living there declare war on the fairies and everyone blames you'.
[*] Any companions that the heroes have to pick up are secretly traitors and/or criminally stupid. Nothing like rescuing the princess only to find out that she's an idiot who goes around flipping levers.
[*] Sierra Screws, but in Tabletop RPG form. The button that you push to open an unassuming door also releases deadly poison gas. 10 minutes later in another room.
[*] Secretly charming and dominating people. Have a trap or a potion that charms someone to follow the lich but don't have it go off until a really inopportune moments. This works well with the Sierra Screw.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Fake druid with pet mountain lion.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

The Tomb of Horrors screw-you portal that changed you sex and alignment. I'll have to see if I can dredge up any of the Rube-Goldberg machines I designed when I loved the idea of instadeath traps as well.

My favourite trap ever has to be a simple pit trap of arbitrary depth with a polymorph any object trap set to gelatinous cube at the bottom. My players had a lot of fun fishing paralyzed characters out of the guy that failed the save.

EDIT: Also, something crazy with a chessboard. It doesn't really matter what. There's a reason one of the tome prestige classes has "No. If the floor looks like a chessboard, don't walk on it" as the flavour text. Even an untrapped chessboard like floor could defend a secure location because nobody wants to find out it's trapped the hard way.

I have no idea if it's still on the net, but there was a file called The Trap Collection that had (mostly stupid) user-submitted traps. There's a few gems in there, like a water-filled pit with invisible water and an illusion of water on top to fool people that try to disbelieve everything all the time. Half of this school of trap design is anticipating the actions of adventurers and specifically targeting the common anti-trap countermeasures they employ.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

A giant chessboard where every tile is a pressure plate that has a 50% chance of disintegrating you, rolled each time you step on it?

(Unless you use the exact pattern you followed last time, in which case it disintegrates you exactly when it did last time, or the moment you deviate if you followed at least three tiles of that path)

Also, there are chess pieces on it, and each side makes a random legal move each time you step on a plate (white, then black; random piece that could legally move, random legal space to move to)
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

The chessboard of lethal pieces sounds cool, but the 50% disintegration per tile is bland. It's got to be something like 50% gigantic firestorms flesh to stone for the black tiles and 50% flesh to ice on white. That makes use of the actual pattern on the board instead of just being an arbitrary death floor. And obviously the way to bypass it is to take the place of one of the knights and make legal knight moves across the whole board. That or performing an entire Knight's Walk shuts it down for a few minutes so you can cross.

EDIT: I assumed spinning the lethal random chess game off into a different trap.
Double Edit: Did someone say Random Encounters? (Good luck getting anything remotely usable out of it, but that's not the point.)
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

No, see, you make them think the chessboard has a pattern, but there very nearly isn't one.

Throw one person at it per month, with an audience, and you'll get a religion.

EDIT: The correct answer is not to trigger the pressure plates.

EDIT 2: The chess pieces are red herrings too.

...or maybe you can climb on them safely, so you just need to find one that you think will make it to the other side? or maybe you just hop from one to the next?
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

A pool of acid* with an acid-shark in it. At the bottom there's a magic ring. Watch as people go "Oh, we're supposed to jump in there and fight it like suckers? HA! We're smarter than that!", kill it from the surface, then dive in.

The ring is obviously of Acid Resistance, so it would have been really handy five minutes prior.

Indeed, any kind of "a lot of effort to open a door to get to a room that has the key to the door you just opened" is good for screwing with people.

*As in, the kind that looks like water except it's not fun to drink or to swim in. Unless you're an acid shark.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

You had me at acid-shark.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Now that it's pointed out to me, I like your thinking.

EDIT: This was in response RadiantPhoenix. Those other two posts definitely weren't there when I hit reply.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

A room with...

and if they survive all of that to get the treasure:

A cavern with...

Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Don't forget the overpowered, overshadowing, GMPC!
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Put in a sold block of iron painted and molded to look exactly like a treasure chest, locked, of course.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

OgreBattle wrote:A room with...

and if they survive all of that to get the treasure:
You forgot to fill the room with gelatinous cubes.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

how about a dungeon carved out of a TEXA$ sized cube

Every sexy lady you meet in chains is really a vampire/evil sorceress/doppelganger/illusion/ogremage that will betray you to the dungeon boss.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

OgreBattle wrote:how about a dungeon carved out of a TEXA$ sized cube

Every sexy lady you meet in chains is really a vampire/evil sorceress/doppelganger/illusion/ogremage that will betray you to the dungeon boss.
But if you kill them more than a scene before they betray you, you can't get through the door they really were going to let you through.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OgreBattle wrote:how about a dungeon carved out of a TEXA$ sized cube

If players wise up and start killing them, it turns out that at least some of the ones killed were innocent. Then they come back as ghosts looking for revenge.

Also, the munchkin d20 books could be useful if you can find them.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Gnoll/Troll under a bridge :D
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

What. No Mention of the Monster for whom the Labyrinth was made?
The Minotaur?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Use a Wandering Damage Table. Found here (scroll down).

Edit: You should probably tone it down. Unless you're giving your players unlimited characters or something.

Also, if you're okay with a lot of silliness, you could look through The April Fools Articles in dndwiki
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.