Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Probably couldn't hurt, so long as none of that stuff is copyrighted.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'd need to use different art, but the material itself doesn't use any specifically copyrighted terms. Actually, I'd need to rename Hellspawn, and generally do some obfuscation, but that's a minor thing.

I'd also need to figure out what an appropriate price would be. I'm looking, so far, at 5 classes and 3 items, as well as reproducing the sphere system from tome, since several classes get their spell likes that way. I can toss in eight monsters to go with the Lantern class, and I could probably write up a handful more classes, including some base classes to round things out.

edit: what would people like to see in such a pdf? I've already got
  • Poison Ivy
  • Hulk
  • Lantern Corps
  • Ghost Rider
  • Spawn
  • Capt. America's shield
  • Iron Man's suit
  • Mjolnir
I want to stat up the various lantern entities, and am toying with the idea of creating Hydra and AIM with perhaps dedicated prestige classes, and am kind of thinking about something based on Deadpool. Other than that, though, I'm open to requests.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Edit: Unless 3.5 monks have it even shittier than PF monks, which I find hard to believe.
3.5 VOP works differently (albeit also poorly).
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So I looked at a changes summary from D&D 3.5 to Pathfinder. Do I really even need to worry about much conversion other than making sure function calls (as [insert spell/class], [feat] as a bonus feat) are still accurate? It seems like by in large a D&D class doesn't need much work to convert to PF.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Prak_Anima wrote:So I looked at a changes summary from D&D 3.5 to Pathfinder. Do I really even need to worry about much conversion other than making sure function calls (as [insert spell/class], [feat] as a bonus feat) are still accurate? It seems like by in large a D&D class doesn't need much work to convert to PF.
As long as the class doesn't interact too much with the heavily changed systems, like combat maneuvers or polymorph.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:VoP monk and separatist Cleric are two of the most fucked up things I've seen in print. They are worse than wastes of space because the game would be better had they never been written.
The Pathfinder Vow of Poverty monk gave me some amusement when I thought about how you might be able to make a viable PC who only has one expensive item. And that's more amusement than 40%+ of all published Pathfinder feats and archetypes give me, sadly.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

And then make that one item an item familiar ('cause remember, backwards compatible).
Last edited by NineInchNall on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Also make it an item of legacy, just to pour more money into its value and really take the piss.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hell, take Ancestral Weapon or whatever the fuck it was from Book of Erectile Dysfunction.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

"How do you know Boromir isn't a level 17 fighter fighting level 15 orcs??"
From the Paizo board, as a response to "LotR is a level 5 adventure"
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

He's actually right, and it shows how lame the fighter is: there is no way to differentiate a level 1 Fighter fighting a FP 1 monster from a level 20 fighter fighting a FP 20 monster.

LotR is a level 5 adventure because of the magic implied. But you can add 15 fighter level to every character, it doesn't change the story in any visible way.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Seerow wrote:
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Prince of Knives wrote:Never been to Gaming Den
You're missing out! Some of the clearest thinking on 3.5 I've ever seen, hidden among a pack of people obsessed with the word "cock," and who threaten to dismember each other's mothers as a casual greeting.
From the Pathfinder forums. Thought it was funny enough to crosspost.
After doing some elementary data mining, it seems that while 'cock' might be the swear of choice on TGD, 'bullshit bonus' might be the most commonly used alliteration.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
magnuskn
Knight

Post by magnuskn »

GâtFromKI wrote:He's actually right, and it shows how lame the fighter is: there is no way to differentiate a level 1 Fighter fighting a FP 1 monster from a level 20 fighter fighting a FP 20 monster.

LotR is a level 5 adventure because of the magic implied. But you can add 15 fighter level to every character, it doesn't change the story in any visible way.
Well, it'd explain how old man Gandalf is beating the shit out of all those orcs with his staff/sword combination.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

magnuskn wrote:
GâtFromKI wrote:He's actually right, and it shows how lame the fighter is: there is no way to differentiate a level 1 Fighter fighting a FP 1 monster from a level 20 fighter fighting a FP 20 monster.

Well, it'd explain how old man Gandalf is beating the shit out of all those orcs with his staff/sword combination.
Gandalf is almost an epic level character, fighter15/wizard5. Finally, the people who say Gandalf is level 20 are right!
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Gandalf was an aasimar cleric whose DM made him follow some arbitrary 'can only use spells against these creature types' rules in order to be allowed to play a cleric in a low magic campaign.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Fighter gameplay: http://boromir.toolness.org/
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

sake wrote:Gandalf was an aasimar cleric whose DM made him follow some arbitrary 'can only use spells against these creature types' rules in order to be allowed to play a cleric in a low magic campaign.
IIRC, it's actually more like, "use magic as little as possible; make other people to do the work"
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

RadiantPhoenix wrote: IIRC, it's actually more like, "use magic as little as possible; make other people to do the work"
In the Tolkien universe, that's actually pretty much how it works. Because using magic carries with it the risk of going against God's plan, and that is a massive no-no in Tolkien's cosmology. Saruman, Sauron, and Morgoth all turned "evil" because they used their magic powers in ways that God did not approve.

So Gandalf would almost be like a Call of Cthulhu character. Every time he uses magic he runs the risk that he'll run out of SAN points and turn to the worship of the Dark Gods.
Last edited by talozin on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that, as a Maia, Gandalf is incapable of doing things that aren't in accord with destiny.

He's restrained from just plain pwning shit by two things:
  • His body weakens him.
  • He was told not to by his bosses in Valinor.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

He was told not to by his bosses in Valinor.
That's the main reason. Valar used their powers earlier, during war with Morgoth, and almost broke the world.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure that, as a Maia, Gandalf is incapable of doing things that aren't in accord with destiny.

He's restrained from just plain pwning shit by two things:
  • His body weakens him.
  • He was told not to by his bosses in Valinor.
Isn't Saruman in the same position as Gandalf? It doesn't look like it stopped him.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

deaddmwalking wrote:Isn't Saruman in the same position as Gandalf? It doesn't look like it stopped him.
You'll note that Saruman got stabbed in the back by an ordinary dude with an ordinary blade and stuck as a powerless wraith (shade? something) until the world ends, while non-Istari Maiar don't have that happen to them.

EDIT: But, yeah, his job being specifically defined to include not going out and doing that is a pretty big factor.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's largely self-imposed, I'd imagine. Saruman had thrown in with Sauron and I'm pretty sure that disqualifies you from the Undying Lands retirement plan you get for being a good little wizard angel.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'd also need to figure out what an appropriate price would be.
For those of us who aren't Frank or Altered History, and thus haven't already professionally dipped our genitals in the gaming industry, I imagine writing small splat pdf things for Paizo is a pretty good starting point, but from the look of their site, such things are usually priced in the $1-2 range (before they presumably take a cut). Seeing as you're looking at making "a third-party splat that covers a very small part of the game", you'd want to make sure you can actually get enough sales to at least cover the cost of registering the ISBN.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Koumei wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:I'd also need to figure out what an appropriate price would be.
For those of us who aren't Frank or Altered History, and thus haven't already professionally dipped our genitals in the gaming industry, I imagine writing small splat pdf things for Paizo is a pretty good starting point, but from the look of their site, such things are usually priced in the $1-2 range (before they presumably take a cut). Seeing as you're looking at making "a third-party splat that covers a very small part of the game", you'd want to make sure you can actually get enough sales to at least cover the cost of registering the ISBN.
Is the ISBN actually necessary for a PDF only book being sold exclusively through a website?

If it is required then yeah, a $125.00 buy in for something half a dozen people might pay you a dollar for is pretty rough.