[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ancient History wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Ancient History wrote:Different beast. If you question the validity of a law, that's the equivalent of attacking an axiom.
Are you a lawyer? No, then shut up. I am talking about equity.
Are you a lawyer? Because it seriously doesn't look like you're talking about equity.
Yes, I am really talking about equity. Even if you are only getting this from a wikipedia page and not from the actual fucking practice of law, I don't know how you can read "equity is the set of legal principles that supplement strict rules of law where their application would operate harshly." or "allowing courts to use their discretion and apply justice in accordance with natural law." and not see that this is obviously what I am referring to when when I say that sometimes the law does in fact content with whether a law is just or fair.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Foxwarrior wrote:
Starmaker wrote:1. You aren't going to have everything you want, fullstop.
Therefore, you have to make compromises and establish priorities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is%E2%80%93ought_problem
I must have been unwell the day I took you off ignore. You are only present in one place simultaneously and can process only that much sensory input. It is tautologically true that you can't help but prioritize. If you want to climb Everest and descend into the Mariana trench, you can pick only one right now. Now, you might be saying it's possible to just roll a die for the next action because loldongs, but that'd just mean you consciously chose to attempt to prove someone wrong on the internets at the expense of your productivity.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Starmaker wrote:
Foxwarrior wrote:
Starmaker wrote:1. You aren't going to have everything you want, fullstop.
Therefore, you have to make compromises and establish priorities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is%E2%80%93ought_problem
I must have been unwell the day I took you off ignore. You are only present in one place simultaneously and can process only that much sensory input. It is tautologically true that you can't help but prioritize. If you want to climb Everest and descend into the Mariana trench, you can pick only one right now. Now, you might be saying it's possible to just roll a die for the next action because loldongs, but that'd just mean you consciously chose to attempt to prove someone wrong on the internets at the expense of your productivity.
How the fucking fuck is existence in one location in any remotely sane way related to the fucking is-ought problem? How the fuck do you think that is an answer.

Would you shut the fuck up if I changed premise 2) to "I want to brutually torture someone right now significantly more than anything else."? Why the fuck do you think localized existence has anything to fucking do with the is-ought divide? Why?

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Can this prolonged and pointless philosophical discussion be taken to a non-news thread?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote: 1) Me not having everything I want is wrong. (See how fucking useless your initial premise is?)
2) I want to brutally torture people.
Therefore: torturing people is right.
I'm pretty sure that your second axiom is objectively and verifiability wrong.

Generally speaking, torture sucks for the torturer almost as much as it does for the torturee. Basic human empathy can be ignored, but suppressing it is harder. People who engage in torture tend to suffer for it mentally and emotionally.

The thing is, when it comes to punishment, is that the reality doesn't match the fantasy. Torturing people who your angry at sounds like fun. Actually doing it or watching it done is just horrific. And people involved in that sort of thing tend to suffer from serious mental issues and have high suicide rates.

In the real world, extreme punishments are made easier by hierarchy and division of labor. The ordering the punishment rarely witness the punishment, and are thus left with the rather clean and satisfying fantasy in their heads instead of the horrible bloody truth of it. While the people carrying it out are conditioned to follow orders and thus ignore their own discomfort.

And the reason punishments tend to be lighter in the modern era is that the advent of photography, motion pictures, and mass media, means that the public at large can see how horrible it really is and become suitably outraged.

Because even if the person being tortured did bad things, it's still sickening.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hyzmarca wrote:I'm pretty sure that your second axiom is objectively and verifiability wrong.
It is certainly objectively wrong of me. I get sick at the sight of bloody wounds and wince in pain at all sorts of other things. But there is no reason to believe that is true of every human being, because people do in fact commit terrible crimes. I mean would you feel better if I said "lock my daughters in a basement for 17 years and have sex with them and get them pregnant" because that actually happened, so clearly at least one guy really wanted that and you can't even contest that.

I think it is sufficiently likely that someone who enjoys torturing other people also exists, since there is an actual word for those people and everything.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:I'm pretty sure that your second axiom is objectively and verifiability wrong.
It is certainly objectively wrong of me. I get sick at the sight of bloody wounds and wince in pain at all sorts of other things. But there is no reason to believe that is true of every human being, because people do in fact commit terrible crimes. I mean would you feel better if I said "lock my daughters in a basement for 17 years and have sex with them and get them pregnant" because that actually happened, so clearly at least one guy really wanted that and you can't even contest that.

I think it is sufficiently likely that someone who enjoys torturing other people also exists, since there is an actual word for those people and everything.
While true, it remains that the vast majority of people don't. Statistical morality can be problematic, but it's certainly scientifically verifiable.

We can, in fact, show large groups of people videos of torture and measure thir emotional reactions to it.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hyzmarca wrote:While true, it remains that the vast majority of people don't. Statistical morality can be problematic, but it's certainly scientifically verifiable.

We can, in fact, show large groups of people videos of torture and measure thir emotional reactions to it.
Wargalbargl? Garbarwhargalargarbarg? Whalarbargaragarararararar?

Is that a language you understand? Because, I mean, obviously English isn't, or you would know why what you just said is super fucking dumb and evinces a clear lack of understanding of what the fuck is being talked about.

RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I started reading this conversation with Starmaker's "I must have been unwell the day I took you off ignore...", and had to back up to figure out what was going on.

I have become very confused.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/v ... tions.html
ugh, this grates on my nerves to no end for some reason x.x
probably because this is more water on the wheels of the people crying for video game bans instead of gun bans after somebody goes on a shooting spree . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

It's just fucking muscle memory. After I stopped wearing a watch, I kept looking at my wrist for the time for months. If you've done a thing a lot, you will do it without thinking.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Here's the full text if anyone cares.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

http://m.click2houston.com/news/two-men ... index.html
I heard him heading to the bedroom where I was, so I jumped in the closet and I grabbed one of my replica swords [Master Sword], and I pulled it out and stood at the doorway, and he was coming down the hallway at me while I was yelling, 'Go away, you don't live here' and he just walked right into the point of the sword
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*twitch twitch*
i guess it was only a question of tick tock . . http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/07/stun-copter-video/
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

Stahlseele wrote:*twitch twitch*
i guess it was only a question of tick tock . . http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/07/stun-copter-video/
LAME, his face didn't even explode. :/
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Politics thread, but here goes...

DING DONG THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hey now, calling Fred Phelps a witch is a little uncalled for.

First it besmirchs witches everywhere. Second, I'm pretty sure Satan has standards for whom he accepts blowjobs from in exchange for power.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Okay, true enough. But how many quotes from pop culture are out there about an evil douche dying and and celebrating said death?

Speaking of celebrating, upon hearing the news of Phelps corking it, I stripped naked, jumped on the pool table, and did the worm. I also changed my sexual orientation from vegisexual to gay for the day, just to spite the bastard.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Weird. I actually played it; it's so awful that there are many relatively pristine copies around. I think the Video Games Museum at E3 has least 4 on display.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Heartbleed: the biggest Internet security exploit so far.

So, basically, back in 2011, the OpenSSL code was "fixed" and included a bug. The bug allows any unauthenticated user to be able to get 64k of memory, which often includes plaintext usernames and passwords, and other sensitive information.

So, once all of the banks, email servers, and other online sites that store user data get their OpenSSL patched, everyone will have to change their login info. Yay.

Two coworkers were hinting at the possibility of NSA involvement, but it's purely speculative. The code that contained the bug was complex to the point of being obfuscated, so it was likely put in on purpose by someone. Since OpenSSL is open source, that patch is documented.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, that one is seriously pretty bad. Mind, being obfuscated doesn't mean it was on purpose. Even my classwoandrk gets pretty incomprehensible when a deadline is looming, and I imagine cryprography is a million times worse. However, as to whether or not the NSA knew about it, no bet. Finding that stuff and not telling people is their main job and they're pretty good at it.

Also, the 64kb potentially includes the cryptographic keys used by the protocol, and apparently it can be used on stored data from prior sessions as well as ongoing ones. So basically for three years the most common method of secure internet communication was fundamentally broken.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Today thanks to the European court, pirating copyrighted files is now illegal here.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

That wasn't true before?