Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fair, I don't know what standard PF paladins are like, so I couldn't say.

If there's a holy paladinic order of gunslingers, they should definitely have access to lower cost firearms.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Is there a Dual Wand Wielder feat in PF (or a feat that does the same thing, with a different name)? You'll forgive me for not combing the database of all 83 trillion feats.

I'm playing a White-Haired Witch, aka Bayonetta, and explained that the MC could get fucked when he suggested I set feats on fire to shoot people with a low-BAB character, but dual-wielding wands of Scorching Ray could work.

Actually, 9K is a bit pricey for a pair of wands to repeatedly shoot people with. I should look for a 1st level RTA that does d6/level and just get it at CL 3-4.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Third Party feat- Two-Wand Technique is what you want. Failing that, it appears you'd need to be a 15th level Magus.

Energy Missile does 1d6+1 RTA missiles (1 at 1st, +1/2 CL), so you could do a Blaster of Energy Missile (CL5) that would do 3d6+3, and could hit up to three targets for 1d6+1 each.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Awesome, that feat is basically perfect.

And a SL1*CL5 wand is still 3750, so 7500 for a pair. Might be best to just do CL1 Magic Missiles or something.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's also Magic Mace, which is hilariously said to be "as Magic Missile, but d8s instead of d4s." meaning that a CL 3 Magic Mace wand does 2d8+2 autohit for 2250 ea, or 4500 for two.

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Well, it also states it is touch range, but still...
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, I just looked at the text, damn.

However, for sheer hilarity, there's Damage Loins. 2nd level, no attack roll, Fort negates, 1d6 untyped/2 CL plus sickened for 1d4 rounds. You could have Blasters of Nut Shot.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

When casting from a wand, you don't use spells that allow saving throws, because it assumes the ability score is "the minimum needed to cast the spell". So for the same cost as the "Hits: yes, 4d6 damage" of Scorching Ray you get "1d6 damage, Fort DC 13 negates" (CL 3).

That's why Wands of Sleep are actually worthless: you get 50 charges of "DC 11 to negate".

Honestly, dedicated Abuse Magic Device classes should get a class feature where they use their own emulated CL and ability score for all aspects of all activated items.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I am an Aranea sorcerer with high dexterity who likes to fight in melee. Here's a spell excerpt:
You call up elemental energy, which infuses your hands.
Choose an energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You
gain a melee touch attack that deals 1d6 hp per 2 caster
levels of that energy type (maximum 5d6), along with a
special effect described below.
You deal this energy damage and the related special
effect when you attack with an unarmed strike, a single
claw, a bite, or a single slam attack. This bonus damage
applies to multiple weapons.
My interpretation of this is that if I make a full attack (BAB +6), I can strike twice with a cestus, and once with my bite, adding damage and status effect saves from Hands of the Djinn with each of the three attacks. Does that sound legal?

If I was using a Wizard Hook, how would that interact with the melee touch attack I am granted in the first paragraph of the spell? Can I make two touch attacks in my full attack using the Wizard Hook, or do I have to make real attacks and hope I beat normal AC?

EDIT:
Koumei wrote:When casting from a wand, you don't use spells that allow saving throws, because it assumes the ability score is "the minimum needed to cast the spell". So for the same cost as the "Hits: yes, 4d6 damage" of Scorching Ray you get "1d6 damage, Fort DC 13 negates" (CL 3).

That's why Wands of Sleep are actually worthless: you get 50 charges of "DC 11 to negate".

Honestly, dedicated Abuse Magic Device classes should get a class feature where they use their own emulated CL and ability score for all aspects of all activated items.
There are some options. Here's a wizard-only one
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-cl ... -like-wand
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hm, that's a good point.

Well, looking through the spell filter, I think one of those, Magic Missile, or just a low CL Scorching Ray is your best option.

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Snowball seems like what you want.

For a melee touch, I'd recommend Frostbite instead. It's melee for 1d6+(1/level) noleathal, but you get one touch per level.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...in other news, d20pfsrd's spell filter tools don't work so great.

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Stop giving that thing publicity.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

That artwork is atrocious.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Why does that need a Kickstarter at all?
SKR wrote:The writing of the book is almost finished and parts of it are already in the hands of the editors. The text will be edited by the end of the funding period.
The cover and interior art for the book are done (and I've already cleared the artist's schedule for any additional art pieces from high-tier rewards).
So if the book is done, why isn't it just going on some POD site or PDF store? What is the money actually being spent on? There's some stuff, like okay excess money gets spent on their artist to do color illustrations, but what's the first $2700 for?
-JM
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

John Magnum wrote:Why does that need a Kickstarter at all?
SKR wrote:The writing of the book is almost finished and parts of it are already in the hands of the editors. The text will be edited by the end of the funding period.
The cover and interior art for the book are done (and I've already cleared the artist's schedule for any additional art pieces from high-tier rewards).
So if the book is done, why isn't it just going on some POD site or PDF store? What is the money actually being spent on? There's some stuff, like okay excess money gets spent on their artist to do color illustrations, but what's the first $2700 for?
2700$ = Kitty Fund
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

John Magnum wrote:Why does that need a Kickstarter at all?
Its the usual shit to take advantage of people who don't really grasp kick starters. And probably also alters the terms of the deal with a potential publisher: having a pile of money go to him rather than them in advance of publication could have a profound impact on the terms of the printing deal.
K
King

Post by K »

Kickstarters are used strictly for promotion by about half of them these days. It's just another way to generate buzz.

Still, it's nice to know that SKR is a tone-deaf hack even when he works on vanity projects. That product has no redeeming features at all.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Not only is the product utterly pointless- it's literally about mechanics that nobody other than the GM will ever, ever see- most of the stuff it sets out to do can already be done with spells in the core rulebook.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

K wrote:Kickstarters are used strictly for promotion by about half of them these days. It's just another way to generate buzz.

Still, it's nice to know that SKR is a tone-deaf hack even when he works on vanity projects. That product has no redeeming features at all.
It already has $4,000 pledged with 20 days left to go, so I guess the joke is on us. Who knew that there was such a demand for a book of hedge magic?

And what's this about a cat? (?)
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Google Sick Kitty and SKR :-)
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Axebird wrote:Not only is the product utterly pointless- it's literally about mechanics that nobody other than the GM will ever, ever see- most of the stuff it sets out to do can already be done with spells in the core rulebook.
Speaking of SKR and pointless products:

http://www.seankreynolds.com/skrg/products/016CCR/
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Covent wrote:Google Sick Kitty and SKR :-)
That must have been one sick-ass cat. Hope he's (she?) is doing ok.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Covent wrote:Google Sick Kitty and SKR :-)
I rolled a nat 1 and got "Avril Lavigne Gets A Skrillex Haircut And Struggles With EDM In “Hello Kitty”". What the....
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.