Thor Now a "Woman"

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, last I knew her transformation was permanent. I don't keep up on a lot of comics, because that requires a ton of money, or very obsessive piracy.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So...

1. Disney owns Marvel
2. Marvel owns Thor

Therefore Thor is a Disney-owned character.

3. Thor is the son of a king (Wothan, king of the gods).
4. Thor is now female.

Therefore Thor is a princess.

...Thor is now a Disney princess.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

slow *clap*
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Koumei wrote:So...

1. Disney owns Marvel
2. Marvel owns Thor

Therefore Thor is a Disney-owned character.

3. Thor is the son of a king (Wothan, king of the gods).
4. Thor is now female.

Therefore Thor is a princess.

...Thor is now a Disney princess.
Probably could have argued for that before the gender bend, too. :p
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I could swear jokes like that existed prior to the new Thor, but I can't find any.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think there was one about Wolverine.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

OK, I was wrong about the Angela from Spawn thing, and she's just going to remain Thor Odinson's (since Thor is apparently now a title and a name, that's what current Thor will be called in his Tetsuo getup) new sister. As far as obsessive piracy, without being too blunt it's a matter of five minutes if you change your pull date from Wed. to Thur., smaller publishers to some degree notwithstanding.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sure, it's simple to keep up with a comic, or even start reading a fairly recent one.

Starting something like Thor is a bit more daunting.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Here's a cynical question.

If Disney/Marvel comics decided to go full-on affinity fraud with the troglodytes and have public firings of certain artists and Fox News segments decrying feminazis literally emasculating gods or whatever, how much money would that gain them if anything?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Oh, fuck, man, I read my dad's old Journey Into Mystery when I was 4, but that's not really what I'm talking about, since current storylines don't care about Rigellian Recorders and shit. In fact, I'd argue that Thor is generally better than average about being accessible to new readers every 12-18 issues, insofar as his shtick isn't that complicated.

Edit: I'd have to think about the whole Eric Masterson/Beta Ray Bill BS before fully committing to that, but still, fake Olde English/Bullfinch handwaving gets you 75% there.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Here's a cynical question.

If Disney/Marvel comics decided to go full-on affinity fraud with the troglodytes and have public firings of certain artists and Fox News segments decrying feminazis literally emasculating gods or whatever, how much money would that gain them if anything?
It would be negligible. In 1991, X-Men #1 sold 8.1 million copies at $1.50 a pop. Granted, it's a record setting number but Chris Claremont is a comics writer of the generation where if you don't clear at least 500,000 copies you're considered a failure.

The current run of Thor, which is much more sophisticated book in terms of art and story, cleared 36,500 copies at $3.99.

Disney makes its money on these characters from film ticket sales and merchandising all of which are driven by Chris Hemsworth.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Considering that we have a persistent thread of "Anime you've watched recently" but "Thor is a woman" is a new topic, it shows that these kinds of catchy changes do their job of keeping Marvel/DC in the headlines from time to time.